• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S2| You guys look like shit - Wednesdays on Syfy

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So S1 is available to stream for free on Prime. I marathoned it over a couple days.

Season 2 is available on demand via my cable sub, so that's cool (even though the "HD" quality is terrible as usual) and I watched the first episode.

Anyway... I just got really weirded out by the "previously on" episode recap that played before S2E2... it showed the Indian UN lady talking to the ("You fucking cunts") Spartacus actor, and in the clip she says to him, "I need a spy".

Wtf? When did this happen? I wouldn't have missed this because I like that actor. Did that scene happen is Season 1? Did I somehow skip an episode?

kirblar

So S1 is available to stream for free on Prime. I marathoned it over a couple days.

Season 2 is available on demand via my cable sub, so that's cool (even though the "HD" quality is terrible as usual) and I watched the first episode.

Anyway... I just got really weirded out by the "previously on" episode recap that played before S2E2... it showed the Indian UN lady talking to the ("You fucking cunts") Spartacus actor, and in the clip she says to him, "I need a spy".

Wtf? When did this happen? I wouldn't have missed this because I like that actor. Did that scene happen is Season 1? Did I somehow skip an episode?
They cut scenes by accident for on-Demand viewers in Ep1. Lots of people had that reaction two weeks ago.

suzu

What kirblar said.

You can watch the entire missing scene here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rHjgQF6y1M

^
Heh, yeah.

ROFL Miller
I thought we might have lost control of the situation.

Edit: Riiiiight guys.
You're full of shit you dirty bastard. Gonna spread that shit all over the place.

"Don't get all Holden on me" :D

Hell yeah Naomi!

That annoyed appropriate look at that damned count down timer! Miller's gonna want to kill something lol

Edit: Better hurry your ass up Miller.
Holy shit...

Edit: Loved the lighting effect when the floating particles suddenly started moving really fast.

Show is completely on fire right now. A+ episode.

Syfy doing justice to one book series I love (The Expanse) and surpassing another one I enjoyed (The Magicians).

The world has gone mad.

suzu

Lots of fuzzy feelings in this episode!

I believe that covers nearly everything for the first book -- so anyone waiting to read Leviathan Wakes, have at it.

cazar

Neo Member
Man the last episode was on fire! They really are going all out with The Expanse. I Just hope the show would continue on to cover all the books. So hopinng it gains a vit of momentum and ratings climb a bit :)

jerry113

Banned
holy shit the voices in eros are so fucing creepy. i didn't expect this level of organic body horror they're doing here.

also i hate it when the crew have to juice up to keep up with the G-forces they're pulling, it looks painful af

edit: more people need to be watching this

more edit:
oh man i didn't expect this to happen to that character.. let alone this early into the season

Like the AVCLUB reviewer, I like how this show doesn't dumb things down for viewers.

Grazzt

What a beautiful and moving episode. This show keeps getting better and better, unbelievable. I will miss you and your hair cut, Miller.

DieH@rd

Banned
What a great episode! I eagerly waited for a long time to see if they will do end scene with Julie justice, and I was not disappointed. :)

lol how the heck does an asteroid steer itself

Promolecule mass that was formed inside Eros can fold gravity, it can move how it wants. What they shown in this episode was quite tame than how things were depicted in the book.

I hope the season ends with Venus starting to move out of its orbit towards Earth.
Just keep on watching. :) Promolecule has a very specific task to perform on each star system that it was sent to.

holy shit the voices in eros are so fucing creepy. i didn't expect this level of organic body horror they're doing here.
SyFy skimped on a budget at Eros big time, but they got the overal point. In the books, Protomolecule took every biomass [living or dead humans] that it could find and remade it into twisted flesh like in an especially bad HRGiger dream.

Hamlet

Wow what an amazing beautiful episode and this is only episode 5. Can't wait to to see what the rest of the season has in store for us.

SyFy skimped on a budget at Eros big time, but they got the overal point. In the books, Protomolecule took every biomass [living or dead humans] that it could find and remade it into twisted flesh like in an especially bad HRGiger dream.

They raised this point in the podcast and the creators said that it would have been too distracting and detracted from the eerie feeling.

That scene with Miller at the end...damn. I hope this episode wins some awards.

Well... regarding Miller,
he'll be back!

Bigger spoiler:
I'll bet a million bucks when Holden sees him appear, Miller will be wearing his hat again (he left it behind on Ceres)

Paganmoon

Well...
regarding Miller
he'll be back!

Bigger spoiler:
I'll bet a million bucks when Holden sees him appear, Miller will be wearing his hat again (he left it behind on Ceres)

Major book spoilers in this post, do not click. Also added tag to the character it relates to.

and honestly, there's no need to post things like this, it adds nothing to any kind of discussion.

Major book spoilers in this post, do not click. Also added tag to the character it relates to.

and honestly, there's no need to post things like this, it adds nothing to any kind of discussion.

Really? I thought
the fact that he becomes one with Julie/Protomolecule would be fairly evident to genre-savvy viewers that he'll make some sort of appearance down the road

Backlogger

What's the deal with this anyway? Is there a real life scientific explanation for it?

Humans wouldn't survive the crushing G forces caused by their speed. So in order to keep things scientific the writers inevented a drug that doesn't exist yet to explain how they could survive those G forces.

Notice though that Milller and Eros were actually going faster and he couldn't feel the effects at all which they actually bring up during the episode. So the proto molecule is somehow able to create some kind of bubble around itself to protect it. Similar to how in Star Trek they have "inertial dampners" technology. No such thing exists in the Expanse world so they need the drugs.

Zoe

Humans wouldn't survive the crushing G forces caused by their speed. So in order to keep things scientific the writers inevented a drug that doesn't exist yet to explain how they could survive those G forces.

Notice though that Milller and Eros were actually going faster and he couldn't feel the effects at all which they actually bring up during the episode. So the proto molecule is somehow able to create some kind of bubble around itself to protect it. Similar to how in Star Trek they have "inertial dampners" technology. No such thing exists in the Expanse world so they need the drugs.

Just seems weird to me that some kind of liquid drug would be able to counteract those effects, but.... whatever :lol

- Blastr Podcast: An emotional reunion takes center stage in 'Home'
Welcome to Episode 4 of The Churn, our post-show podcast about The Expanse. Each week during Season 2, The Expanse creators Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham (who you all know as James SA Corey) and Syfy Wire's resident The Expanse superfans -- Fangrrls Managing Editor Cher Martinetti and Editor-in-Chief Adam Swiderski -- take a deeper dive into the latest episode.

We last saw Miller clutching a nuke while the Roci crew tried to make the best of what seemed like a hopeless situation. But Miller had a plan, and tonight we saw exactly how that worked out. "Home" left us with all the feels. Executive Producer Mark Fergus joins us as we break down an emotional episode worthy of a season finale.

Aaaagh no, that ending...
human Miller! I can't imagine he doesn't come back as part of the blue man group, but I hope that still means he's a good guy (and as snarky). :(

Although, it didn't really seem like he was "infected" so who knows.

Honestly I might just start blazing through the books I can't stand waiting week to week haha.

- Indiewire: ‘The Expanse': Why Season 2 Got ‘Game of Thrones'-Levels of Intense in ‘Home'
It's a surprisingly romantic sequence, dense with visual effects to capture the depths to which Julie has become bonded with the protomolecule. But the actual filming featured none of those trappings: Jane and Faivre were acting, according to executive producer Mark Fergus, in ”a big empty room with just a chair. So they had nothing to distract them but each other."

And while there was no kiss written in the book, or in the script, while shooting ”that just sort of came into the scene spontaneously. It wasn't a planned moment, it just came out of the connection that Julie and Miller were feeling, that paid off when she said ‘you belong with me.' That was just one of those moments that evolved into more than it was written. It felt right, so we leaned it that way."
Fergus saw Miller's death as a nice completion for his character's arc, which they'd compared to classic redemption films like ”The Verdict" in initial conversations with Jane. ”Built into a character is the end of that character," he added. ”These stories are more powerful when there's a really strong ending."

With Miller gone, Fergus noted that other storylines — such as Martian Marine Bobbie Draper — will take center stage as the season progresses; matching with the rhythm of the books, which tend to introduce a new core character with each installment along with the pre-established regulars, such as James Holden (Steven Strait) and his crew. And things will move fast, ”now that there are a few less plates spinning," he said. ”You're not even going to have a moment to breathe, really."
More via the link.

Paganmoon

List for new shows and movies on Netflix UK for March is out. No Expanse next month either.

Aaaagh no, that ending...
human Miller! I can't imagine he doesn't come back as part of the blue man group, but I hope that still means he's a good guy (and as snarky). :(

Although, it didn't really seem like he was "infected" so who knows.

Honestly I might just start blazing through the books I can't stand waiting week to week haha.

They're pretty easy to blaze through honestly. go for it.

suzu

The kiss never happens in the book, but I didn't mind it cuz TV Miller is different (and more likeable) from the book version. Kinda funny that it wasn't scripted either.

Can't wait for more Bobbie (and also Prax's debut!).

jerry113

Banned
he was the best well walla the system's ever seen *toasts drink*

i'm digging the belter creole and will be introducing it to my daily RL vernacular

jerry113

Banned
What's the deal with this anyway? Is there a real life scientific explanation for it?

Dunno but I'm guessing it's adrenaline and blood vessel dilation/constriction hormones that help prevent them from falling unconscious and somehow not die? lol

- Inverse interview: 'The Expanse' Creator Mark Fergus on Miller's Shocking Death
Main character deaths are a big deal, but could be done cheaply. How did you approach Miller’s death and sacrifice to make sure it had the intended impact?

It was important that we didn’t alter it from the books for the sake of the show. His journey doesn’t really have the same meaning until you end it that way. We wanted to really make it into a thriller where there’s a relentless pace, in a narrative sense.

The audience had to presume that this is an action-packed episode, the Roci crew will fix things, Miller will get out, and somehow things will be resolved. The energy of those kinds of stories just make you think all will be well. We wanted to build to a point where you think, “Wow, he might not get out of this.”

The more we sort of promised the audience that all would be well, the more surprising his last hurrah would be. Isolating Miller from the Roci crew and everyone else was the last push of him cutting the cord to the world. He’s going into the great unknown to discover what his life was all about and finds Julie. The point wasn’t for him to walk out of it.
The point of no return for me was when he tells protomolecule-infected Julie, “You made a guy like me believe in something.” You always expect the Roci crew to swoop in at the last moment, but not after that.

I hope a lot of people thought he’d convince her to stop Eros. But he says that line when he starts removing his gear, breathing in the protomolecule, and willfully infects himself.

We wrote that line at the very last minute. Thomas was doing the scene on the day, and we were looking for a moment to encapsulate his whole character, so we threw that in on the last take or two.
Huge gif of the crash and the salute from the crew.

John Blade

Man...what a good episode and good way to end one of the character from the show. Wonder how it will go here now that the mysterious alien threat is gone now.

Top Bottom