• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S2| You guys look like shit - Wednesdays on Syfy

Jag

This just went from hard realistic sci fi to... silly fantasy to be frank. Very dissapointing.

Easily the worst episode yet.

I like all the other episodes however, I'm gonna keep watching and see where they go with this.

I haven't read the books, maybe that is why.

Wow. I thought it was fantastic. I've been a huge fan of the books since the start and I think they've captured them perfectly.

DevilDog

Wow. I thought it was fantastic. I've been a huge fan of the books since the start and I think they've captured them perfectly.

Miller doesn't make sense as a character with his "relationship"with her. I don't understand why he acts the way he does. It's either bad writting or there is a huge plot twist incoming.

As for the protomolecule, come on, blue spirit birds feeding off the consciousness of humans... we went from realistic sci fi to fairytale fantasy land.
Which would be fine if that was how this series was set up to be, but it isn't. The contrast is so jarring.
Maybe in the books the storytelling is better? And since you know what happens you're in the right state of mind. Cause nothing in this series prepared me for episode 5.

GavinUK86

Miller doesn't make sense as a character with his "relationship"with her. I don't understand why he acts the way he does. It's either bad writting or there is a huge plot twist incoming.

As for the protomolecule, come on, blue spirit birds feeding off the consciousness of humans... we went from realistic sci fi to fairytale fantasy land.
Which would be fine if that was how this series was set up to be, but it isn't. The contrast is so jarring.
Maybe in the books the storytelling is better? And since you know what happens you're in the right state of mind. Cause nothing in this series prepared me for episode 5.

You don't understand the relationship between Miller and Julie? It's more than just a kidnap job to him. She's more of a allegory really. What he needs being at the end of his rope.

"Blue spirit birds"? That wasn't anything. Again, it's more than just blue fireflies. I think you're missing a lot of the story. Or maybe just focusing on the wrong points.

The books are more in depth, of course, but the show has a similar feel to them.

Yeah, the dude was great.

"She's like my sister... but I would totally do her if she let me"

UlldlYb.png

That was a great preview, and that scene and then Holden's reaction made me laugh, and then his "I'm glad we had this talk". Good time for a laugh after this week's emotions.
It was like a Drax moment in GotG.

I love how they bet on when they started LOL.

So the show's pretty good? Been reading the books, I'm about 3/4 through Nemesis Games, and quite honestly I love this series.

Planning to get the bluray of Season 1 after finishing Babylon's Ashes if it's as good as the clips I've seen here.

Ernest

Banned
Yeah, I thought this last episode was pretty fucking cool. Especially that ending.

Haven't read the books, but I assume that new life form will slowly take over Venus (I'm assuming they crashed into Venus).

Fafnir

Book readers, how are books 4-6? I blazed through 1-3 but got burned out after 3. Read the reviews for 4-5 and readers complained that it was mainly filler so was just going to pick up 6.

Book 2 was my favorite so hopefully the rest of the season can live up to my expectations.

GavinUK86

Should've went with RE7 black goop instead of blue fireflies. ;)

As a book fan, I was expecting a mix of the two but the blue firefly thing looks more "sci-fi" on TV I guess. The black gloop/vomit zombie would make it feel more like a horror. It's very pretty though... I didn't expect Julie to look so pretty either. She was a mess in the hotel room.

Moff

Book readers, how are books 4-6? I blazed through 1-3 but got burned out after 3. Read the reviews for 4-5 and readers complained that it was mainly filler so was just going to pick up 6.

Book 2 was my favorite so hopefully the rest of the season can live up to my expectations.
You need 5, I don't know why people would call it filler, I also think it's a lot better than the mediocre third and fourth books.

Qvoth

finally watched episode 5, HOLY FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
AU7Amsc.gif

that was probably the most beautiful tv episode i've ever seen

4 was honestly meh. If you are invested in the characters then it's okay.

I'm working my way through 5 and shit is really hitting the fucking fan.

raindoc

Just finished 4, thought it was alright - although you could fit the plot into 1 or maybe 1 1/2 episodes of the tv series.

It's not. Miller is just a tired, jaded asshole who connects with the girl he was supposed to find. He essentially falls in love with a dead woman.

Any who, after that last episode we are now officially done with Book 1 and thus all my knowledge of how things play out. I'm curious what happens next. An aside, it's been a while since I read that first book but did that whole missile thing play out like that? I don't remember there being that tense stand off between Earth, Johnson, and Miller.

nOoblet16

Via Reddit, Daniel Abraham noted on twitter that we're unlikely to hear anything about a potential third season until "late next month".
I really hope they get to continue making this show because it's quite special, unique and looks great. But I am pretty sure it'll die before that happens, the book series isn't finished yet and the show is still doing stuff from first book while being in season 2 and I can't see this show lasting as long as 5-6 seasons.

suzu

I really hope they get to continue making this show because it's quite special, unique and looks great. But I am pretty sure it'll die before that happens, the book series isn't finished yet and the show is still doing stuff from first book while being in season 2 and I can't see this show lasting as long as 5-6 seasons.

The authors write faster than GRRM, so I'm not worried about the books not being finished yet. Also, they just finished book 1 with the most recent episode. :p If the show is going to die, it won't be because of those reasons.

DevilDog

It's not. Miller is just a tired, jaded asshole who connects with the girl he was supposed to find. He essentially falls in love with a dead woman.

I could never empathize. His feelings feel artificial. Especially when he would die for her or even believe in her at that moment, like what?

I could never empathize. His feelings feel artificial. Especially when he would die for her or even believe in her at that moment, like what?

I felt the exact same way reading his character in the book. At least they didn't shoe horn in his ex-wife whose shown early on in the first book. I honestly didn't like either main characters reading the books, Holden or Miller. Holden seemed like an aloof idiot and I couldn't understand why he was making decision for anyone and Miller just seemed like a weird, suicidal man, like the jaded noir detective trope taken to the extreme except not at all self-aware.

I'm liking the TV cast more but Holden still bores me to tears, he just has no personality.

Up to episode 4.

This has to be the best sci-show of the past decade. At least.

That twist was monumental.

It might be simply because there hasn't been any real sci-fi shows in about a decade. But, compared to the greats like BSG, Star Trek, Babylon 5, it ain't even close.

lt519

Up to episode 4.

This has to be the best sci-show of the past decade. At least.

That twist was monumental.

This season has been one of the better seasons of TV, regardless of genre, I've watched in a long time. The momentum it has right now is incredible. Mr. Robot Season 1 is up there with it, but that was something special as well.

It walks all over Westworld as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, I'm loving it so I really hope they get to keep making it.

New to the series here, just watched and enjoyed S01E01 on Netflix. But a question: Is it a Netflix produced show? If so, how season 2 is not available here (Brazil) while all other Netflix shows are day 1 worldwide? Our Syfy channel does not seems to be airing it too...

RS4-

Expanse
AoS
Arrow

I haven't seen a show this consistent throughout a season since PoI. And that held up across the whole series. You can probably write off maybe less than a handful over the whole run.

But the 1.5 seasons of Expanse have been damn good, and both AoS and Arrow this season are something else.

I gotta mention Legion as well, that has something special going for it. And I expect American Gods to be really good too.

Wouldn't this be the perfect finale for Season 1? (plus an epilogue). Especially since we only see Julie on the first season so the split just cuts her story. Now Season 2 really begins.

New to the series here, just watched and enjoyed S01E01 on Netflix. But a question: Is it a Netflix produced show? If so, how season 2 is not available here (Brazil) while all other Netflix shows are day 1 worldwide? Our Syfy channel does not seems to be airing it too...

Not produced by Netflix, they just have the international rights.

Xe4

Banned
Wouldn't this be the perfect finale for Season 1? (plus an epilogue). Especially since we only see Julie on the first season so the split just cuts her story. Now Season 2 really begins.
It is the finale to the first book, lol.

But I'd agree, if there was any way to fit all of book 1 into 10 60 minute episodes, which there really was not.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Just watched S2E5... uh idk... kinda lost me here.
So she's driving, but makes perfectly timed evasive maneuvers purely coincidentally because she's dreaming of earth? And just happens to look like a hot chick (I mean, kinda, under the circumstances), and can talk, and be convinced to crash into Venus?

Wat?

Idk, idk... pretty dumb imo.

Sloane

Banned
So she's driving, but makes perfectly timed evasive maneuvers purely coincidentally because she's dreaming of earth? And just happens to look like a hot chick (I mean, kinda, under the circumstances), and can talk, and be convinced to crash into Venus?
Uh... "just happens to be"?

suzu

Wat?

The protomolecule used her as a seed, so she is basically the base of its sentience. That's why it looked like her, could speak and still retained a piece of her mind. The actual Julie is gone like all the other voices on Eros.

She wants to go home, but it's also cuz the protomolecule is seeking a planet to complete its "work". So Earth is a win-win situation. ProtoJulie thinks whoever is chasing her is trying to take her racing ship the Razorback (Eros), thus she dodges and races away. Miller hears her taunting (catch me if you can, etc).

Also, no need for spoiler tags on aired content.

DBT85

Just caught up. Enjoyed it all but a few bits annoyed me.

I was in the middle of a long post about all the weird disparities about accelerating but not accelerating, burning hard but still standing up, burning harder but not actually accelerating still, accelerating while actually decelerating but I gave up.

Dizzy-4U

For some reason I was 100% convinced that Chrisjen was Monica Bellucci. I guess Monica wasn't in Star Trek either...

Anyways, great season so far. Amos is still kicking so that's great.

Maxrunner

After reading a detailed summary of the first book (almost where the last episode ended, guess there's still a spoiler in the epilogue), I have to say I'm so glad they went with the pretty blue lights and crystalline structures instead of black goop and Halo-esque zombie gore.
Is that how the alien stuff looked like in the books?

Wat?

uhm, you do know that's Julie, right?

h1nch

I felt the exact same way reading his character in the book. At least they didn't shoe horn in his ex-wife whose shown early on in the first book. I honestly didn't like either main characters reading the books, Holden or Miller. Holden seemed like an aloof idiot and I couldn't understand why he was making decision for anyone and Miller just seemed like a weird, suicidal man, like the jaded noir detective trope taken to the extreme except not at all self-aware.

I'm liking the TV cast more but Holden still bores me to tears, he just has no personality.

It might be simply because there hasn't been any real sci-fi shows in about a decade. But, compared to the greats like BSG, Star Trek, Babylon 5, it ain't even close.

It's still too early in this show's run, but I'm not entirely sure I agree with this. For example early BSG seasons might have reached higher levels, but the religious/mythology BS ended up choking that show towards the end of it's run. I actually think that series has aged somewhat poorly due to the trainwreck that was the final season.

One of my first reactions to this show was that it felt like a better-executed BSG, at least in terms of world-building.

It's harder to compare w/ Star Trek given that the shows come from a different era and with a much different style of storytelling. If that new CBS Trek show ever comes out, it will be interesting to compare it w/ The Expanse (my money is on The Expanse being better)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
uhm, you do know that's Julie, right?
Yes. I didn't really type out my complete thoughts (note: that was posted at 3 am my time, via PS4 browser, typing with a controller -- lol) so please forgive me. I just found certain aspects of it way too convenient/contrived. I've been loving this show, but that ep brought on the first major eye-rolls. When he kissed her, I might have audibly groaned. lol

I'm still here though. I like this show quite a lot.

Random observations: the guy who plays Amos has major charisma. Especially for someone who barely speaks. Reminds me of Michael C Hall in that way. I don't know if he has movie-charisma, but I definitely notice it; The "Bobbie" girl from Mars Ops is the opposite - she's terrible. That whole team is bad actually. I mentally check-out when they're on screen; Johnson's second in command... does it for me. lol More of her please (guilty pleasure) and she's good too, so I don't feel too guilty about it; the UN lady Chrisjen is my favorite part of the show probably. She's just a fun character. She has a unique delivery and tbh it's just refreshing to have a goog guy who's adept at playing the game.

So I don't know about the books, but I'm hoping Johnson's 2nd joins the crew (seems like they planted the seeds for this) and that Chrisjen sticks around for awhilr longer. Hopefully they write her out if she ever gets boring, as opposed to making her character suddenly divisive and back-stabbing (an antagonist) for the sake of conflict.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Random observations: the guy who plays Amos has major charisma. Especially for someone who barely speaks. Reminds me of Michael C Hall in that way. I don't know if he has movie-charisma, but I definitely notice it;

At a premiere for season 2 the actor for Amos dominated every single question asked and completely upstaged every other actor on stage. The guy is oozing charisma.

It's still too early in this show's run, but I'm not entirely sure I agree with this. For example early BSG seasons might have reached higher levels, but the religious/mythology BS ended up choking that show towards the end of it's run. I actually think that series has aged somewhat poorly due to the trainwreck that was the final season.

One of my first reactions to this show was that it felt like a better-executed BSG, at least in terms of world-building.

It's harder to compare w/ Star Trek given that the shows come from a different era and with a much different style of storytelling. If that new CBS Trek show ever comes out, it will be interesting to compare it w/ The Expanse (my money is on The Expanse being better)

Nah man, nah. Even the late seasons of BSG are better than Expanse. And, the "religious BS" was fine and well integrated into that show save a few ass pulls like the Final Five. But, BSG also outclasses it in all other technical aspects as well such as cinematography, soundtrack, set design, casting, etc.

Nah man, nah. Even the late seasons of BSG are better than Expanse. And, the "religious BS" was fine and well integrated into that show save a few ass pulls like the Final Five. But, BSG also outclasses it in all other technical aspects as well such as cinematography, soundtrack, set design, casting, etc.

But the writing is really terrible towards the ends, it is amazing they still managed to end it while they have been self destructing all the way for over two seasons, hell the minute it started to be about doing whatever seems convenient and dismiss consequences. It is a real schlock, at least the expanse has a simple plot with stakes that makes sense. BSG just betrays itself, it has the direction of an expensive soap opera with writers fighting one another over where the plot should go.

Moff

I had a lot more fun with the first 2 seasons of the expanse than with anything BSG after the first half of season 3

Top Bottom