• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fifth Element is returning to theaters in 4K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link.

PR:
Twenty years ago, audiences were dazzled by the visionary images and epic adventure of The Fifth Element. To celebrate the 20th anniversary of director Luc Besson’s groundbreaking film, Fathom Events and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will present a 4K restoration of the film in movie theaters nationwide for two days only, on Sunday, May 14 and Wednesday, May 17 at 2:00 and 7:00 p.m. (local time) both days. Following its two-day-only theatrical presentation, The Fifth Element will debut on 4K Ultra HD July 11.

As an added bonus, the theatrical presentation will also offer audiences a brand-new, exclusive look at Besson’s upcoming film, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, which opens in theaters nationwide July 21, 2017. This new film stars Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevingne as special operatives who must protect the astonishing city of Alpha from a marauding menace that threatens not just the city but the future of the universe. Besson both directed and wrote Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, as he did the enormously influential The Fifth Element.

Tickets to The Fifth Element 20th Anniversary can be purchased online at www.FathomEvents.com or at participating theater box offices. Fans throughout the U.S. will be able to enjoy the event in more than 400 select movie theaters. For a complete list of theater locations visit the Fathom Events website (theaters and participants are subject to change).

From its opening scenes in 1914 Egypt to its towering views of 23rd Century New York City, and its mind-expanding journey to the faraway world of Fhloston Paradise, The Fifth Element follows cab driver Korben Dallas (Bruce Willis) as he discovers that the fate of the world is contained within the mysterious Leeloo (Milla Jovovich), who literally drops from the sky and into his life. To save humanity, he must protect her from the evil industrialist Zorg (Gary Oldman), who is embroiled in an intergalactic war between the Mondoshawans and the Mangalores.

The spectacular odyssey across space and time also stars Ian Holm as the mysterious Vito Cornelius, Chris Tucker as hyperactive radio host Ruby Rhod, and Luke Perry as Billy Masterson. Conceived and written by Besson when he was just 16, The Fifth Element became a passion project and took more than 20 years to bring to the screen. “The Fifth Element” was nominated for eight César Awards, France’s top cinematic honor, and received three awards, including Best Director, Best Cinematography and Best Production Design.

“Few films have presented a sensory experience quite like The Fifth Element,” said Tom Lucas, Fathom Events Vice President of Studio Relations. “After opening at No. 1 at the U.S. box office, it attracted both critical raves and a cult following that has deepened during the past two decades. We are thrilled to bring it back to its well-deserved home on cinema screens for its 20th anniversary.”

Lock if old.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I straight up don't have room in my life for people who don't like this movie.

Fergie

Banned
Would be great if there is a 4K Blu-ray down the line too. Love to add it to my small 4k collection.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I want to name my first child Leeloo Dallas Multipass. Don't judge me.

I can't get past Chris Tucker seemingly trying his hardest to be the most annoying character ever on film to ever truly enjoy this movie.

Dynomutt

tumblr_m7dedapTMz1qhh6xjo1_500.gif
Dolby Atmos please!

AndyD

aka andydumi
Yay. This was the first movie I owned owned on DVD, then later in HD on Bluray. So far my 4K TV has not had a 4K movie, just Planet Earth and games. Maybe Fifth Element will be first again!

SpaceWolf

Banned
I can't get past Chris Tucker seemingly trying his hardest to be the most annoying character ever on film to ever truly enjoy this movie.

I remember having this big book by Empire (the movie magazine) some years ago, and on one page they had a feature listing the top ten most "Annoying Characters who ruined their respective movies"

Jar Jar Binks came second.

Ruby Rhod came first.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I don't like Chris Tucker in almost anything but I think he is outstanding in this.

Anoregon

I don't understand Fifth Element Nostalgia unless it's in a "so bad it's good" sort of way

It's a fun movie with great visuals, great audio, and a combination of iconic, over the top and subdued performances by a number of well-liked actors. It's not that hard to understand.

Then you don't understand good casting, editing and pacing...

One word about casting, it remains one of the most unique sci-fi films due to the diversity of its casting. Especially for 1997.

The bold as well - it's an extremely well paced movie.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Regal Cinemas has this promo they run where you can buy an expensive personalized ticket to a certain movie and watch it as many times as you want. They're usually decorative, Guardians for the Galaxy 2 for example is getting a cassette looking one.

I'm kind of hoping they release something like that for this, as a multipass.

Already bought tickets for a DC showing. I'm so excited. This has been one of my favorite movies for a full decade and I never got the chance to see it in theatres.

May 14 and 17 they're showing it near me. Anyone wanna catch it? Both in Boston and Revere cinemas have it playing for two days.

-shadow-

Was 35mm not already 4k?

For film there's not an exact digital resolution equivalent. But it does require a new scan and I believe the last blu-ray remaster was done at 2K back in 2007(?). So they'd need a new scan at a higher resolution remaster.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I don't understand Fifth Element Nostalgia unless it's in a "so bad it's good" sort of way

It's got nothing to do with "nostalgia". As a big Fifth Element fan, I just happen to personally find it a genuinely great film that just doesn't happen to take itself too seriously.

It's also one very few science fiction films that happens to be set within an optimistic and inviting science fiction universe that's only interested in taking you on a comedic, entertainingly preposterous adventure. It's colourful, it's camp...it's fun! I personally really dig it.

tumblr_ombi6agS8a1w784fao1_500.gif

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Was 35mm not already 4k?

A 35mm release print running through a projector averages only 750 lines of resolution.
That's assuming a new print on a perfectly focused projector.

One of my absolute favorite movies of all time! I used to watch this so much with my dad! Such a great movie!

Plus it brought one of my favorite gifs of all time:
giphy.gif

I really hope there will be a 4K UHD release!

EDIT: Wait there IS a 4K UHD announcement! Yes!!!

I remember being quite underwhelmed when it came out, but it's one of those movies that's grown with time to become a classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom