• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fifth Element is returning to theaters in 4K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagabundo

They found the remains of Leeloo in the wreckage of the downed ship and cloned her from it. She was always the same.

The glove was just the remains of what she was wearing or the sarcophagus.

Damn I love this film. Need to see if in cinema again, been sooo long.

Nokterian

Rewatching it right now on blu ray even the CGI still holds today, love the whole aesthetics and color to this movie. Perfect blend of sci-fi,humor,action, the script is still good to. Having Jean Paul Gaultier doing the costumes makes it so much better. Also Ian Holm is such a good cast.

Off course Gary Oldman as Zorg is such an iconic villain.

I can't wait that luc besson returns to form with his new movie Valiant.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
If only I could enjoy that opera scene in theaters again :(

hilariously enough I thought the action scenes were the weakest part of the film

One of my favourite movies ever . That skeleton building effects was amazing for its time (still looks pretty damn good ).

Great action , great scifi .

EYEL1NER

So did anyone go see this? I didn't go Sunday, since it was Mother's Day and my wife wanted to go out and eat, so tonight is the only other option to go see it. There have been three screenings already: two on Sunday and one this afternoon. I figured someone had to have watched it already but I didn't see any bumps for the thread. I'm not 100% sure I'm going yet, because this is my board game night and I've missed the last two weeks, but I really want to make the hour drive to the closest theater and watch it.

I have a concern though: I've never gone and watched one of these classic or cult-classic theatrical re-releases before. Do audiences recite a lot of the lines during a movie like this that has so many memorable ones? I mean, someone somewhere in the auditorium saying the meat popsicle line at the same time Bruce does isn't going to bother me but I'm a bit worried this is going to turn out to be reminiscent of a Rocky Horror production with everyone yelling out lines. I'm not really interested in anything like that.

I love this fucking movie, especially the crazy looking bright Bladerunner world on Acid.

Like, it was such an amazing film and then you had Chris Rock...doing whatever he was doing in this movie. I also at one point thought he was a woman as a child, when I saw this before realizing it was Tucker from Rush Hour.

Gotta add to the love in. I fucking love this film. The verve, the colour, the costumes, the silliness, the humour, the action, the totally cheesy love saves all, the music (DUM DE DE DUM DE DUM, WAAAAHHHHHHHHH WAAAHHH; opera), Ruby Rhod and Zorg being ACE, 'are are are you German?', 'yes she knows it's a multipass... anyway, we're in love', 'I don't want one position I want ALL POSITIONS', god damn. Love it.

Weekend watch ahoy.

Edit: Realise I already posted in this thread. Screw it. Gush gush gush.

JB1981

So did anyone go see this? I didn't go Sunday, since it was Mother's Day and my wife wanted to go out and eat, so tonight is the only other option to go see it. There have been three screenings already: two on Sunday and one this afternoon. I figured someone had to have watched it already but I didn't see any bumps for the thread. I'm not 100% sure I'm going yet, because this is my board game night and I've missed the last two weeks, but I really want to make the hour drive to the closest theater and watch it.

I have a concern though: I've never gone and watched one of these classic or cult-classic theatrical re-releases before. Do audiences recite a lot of the lines during a movie like this that has so many memorable ones? I mean, someone somewhere in the auditorium saying the meat popsicle line at the same time Bruce does isn't going to bother me but I'm a bit worried this is going to turn out to be reminiscent of a Rocky Horror production with everyone yelling out lines. I'm not really interested in anything like that.

No, dude. They just watch the movie like normal.

EYEL1NER

No, dude. They just watch the movie like normal.
Ah, okay. Good.
I mean, I'm fairly confident I could recite quite a bit of the movie by memory if I wanted to; I've probably seen it at least 50 times (there were times during my last job where I would just let it play on loop during a 12 hour shift). That's more of a "watching it at home" thing for me though. I can't stand it when people talk when out at the movies. If this was that kind of showing though, then I'm not going to begrudge the other people who are in on it from having fun. I'm glad it's not though.

Sanojio

First time I've seen it in theatres, was phenomenal even though there were only 10 people there. That opera scene, never gets old. Especially in 4k

Paskil

Going tonight at 7. Last I checked, show was completely sold out except two seats this morning. It's unfortunately in one of the small theaters at both theaters here in town showing it.

Experien

Medium-sized theater,plenty of seats but a lot of people coming in late. I was glad the Valerian look/trailer was short and didn't seem to spoil anything.

Everything looked good but outside NY City. Shame there.

I did on Sunday. It was a grand time. The whole theater was super into it, laughing and even quoting along in some scenes. It was a riot.

border

Caught it tonight. While it's not the terrible movie I remember it being, it is pretty unrelentingly dumb. Half of the art design is inspired, and the other half is trash. I totally forgot about Ian Holm's character and actually kind of enjoyed him.

The Born Sexy Yesterday trope was not as bothersome as I remember it being. Still though, Dallas' attraction to Leeloo is almost entirely physical and he's had all of ten conversations with her, so it still seems kinda creepy for him to be confessing his love to her and making out with her at the end.

For some reason I thought there was a scene where the homing bullets got used in a badass way -- yet they don't even exist in the film beyond Zorg's initial weapons demonstration. In retrospect I don't even know what the point of that scene is.....it's just a huge tease. It's like having Q show off some cool tactical gear to James Bond, only to have Bond never even use it during the course of the movie.

I seem to remember Zorg at least having some kind of paper-thin motivation. But nah, not even that. He's an evil guy who does evil things for no apparent reason. It's hard to watch him and not wish you were enjoying Oldman's more enigmatic performance in The Professional instead. What is the black goo that slides down his face during his phone conversations with the big ball of evil?

Was Luke Perry originally intended to have a larger role? It's weird that his name gets billing in the opening credits, only for his role to be a short cameo.

Chris Tucker's performance was less grating than expected, and he can actually be a little entertaining when his character drops the facade.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Just got back from a screening with a bunch of friends, and we all had a great time. It's a fun, goofy movie that's perfect for seeing with a crowd.

Saw it tonight. Theater was packed. Great energy.

Man. It's been a long 20 years. I was a junior in HS when I went with my friends to see this opening night '97.
Absolutely love the editing of this movie. Some really clever transitions and makes me miss 'great' Luc Besson. Where has he gone? :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom