• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fifth Element is returning to theaters in 4K

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
One of my absolute favorite movies of all time! I used to watch this so much with my dad! Such a great movie!

Plus it brought one of my favorite gifs of all time:
giphy.gif

I really hope there will be a 4K UHD release!

The misspelling of "Shenmue" bothers me every time.

espher

I remember having this movie be hyped up as 'Star Wars for the new generation' when it was coming out and being super underwhelmed/disappointed when I went to see it in theatres.

I never bothered re-watching it until a couple of years ago - and I loved it.

rhandino

Banned
Chris Tucker is like the 3rd best thing of the movie!

Me and my brothers still laugh histerically when Korben make him count to 3.

Fergie

Banned

Hopefully one in region B too.

Says in the OP July 11th :)

Yeah just clocked it afterwards. Awesome.

I wonder if the same thing would happen with the original blu ray transfer :lol

Hopefully not. They did fix it in the end though with that remaster, but we all hope any mistakes have been learned from...

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
One of my absolute favorite movies of all time! I used to watch this so much with my dad! Such a great movie!

giphy.gif

YESSSS that gif was amazing. It was super cool back when Wii U hype was at an all-time high.

Was always fascinated by the film's mish-mash of French and American sensibilities. Leon had it too, but this being sci-fi amped it up to 11. It's bizarre, yet strangely compelling.

frogger

This movie portrait the future world in such detail (how to cook a chicken, how to use make up), putting other films such as star wars, star trek in shame.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Which Nintendo console is that gif supposed to be about? Wii U? It doesn't make any sense.

DOWN

Banned
This movie strikes me as cheesy due to trying to be over the top in a cheap way yet I also want to see it again

antibolo

Banned
This movie portrait the future world in such detail (how to cook a chicken, how to use make up), putting other films such as star wars, star trek in shame.

But Star Wars isn't in the future... It's not even connected to the real world.

Apzu

Nice, I really like this movie, though I'll never get over the ending.

I remember watching it for the first time when I was a kid and after it ended the first thing I thought was, it would have been a lot different if it was not in english. I mean, english is one of the few western languages that takes so long to get to the concept of war in a dictionary, most romance languages would get there by the letter G and other germanic languages woul be there a few letters down the road when it got to K.

antibolo

Banned
Nice, I really like this movie, though I'll never get over the ending.

I remember watching it for the first time when I was a kid and after it ended the first thing I thought was, it would have been a lot different if it was not in english. I mean, english is one of the few western languages that takes so long to get to the concept of war in a dictionary, most romance languages would get there by the letter G and other germanic languages woul be there a few letters down the road when it got to K.

It's implied in the movie that there are only two languages still used on Earth, English and something else.

Ruby Rhod was an YouTuber.

Truly this movie was so ahead of its time

Apzu

Ruby Rhod was an YouTuber.
I had never thought about that...

It's implied in the movie that there are only two languages still used on Earth, English and something else.
Really? I don't remember that, this is a good excuse to watch it again. Anyway, I watched it dubbed in portuguese as a kid, so I don't think they went with the idea that english was the only spoken language, I'd probably guess no dubbed version did.

SpaceWolf

Banned

You're not referring to the line "Lady, I only speak two languages....English and bad English!", are you?

Because if you are, I think there's a good chance you greatly misinterpreted that joke....

EYEL1NER

I may go and see this. I may also forget about it, since it is showing five or six weeks from now only in a Sunday and a Wednesday. But if I remember, I'll go. I love Fifth Element.

Scavenger

Important to note that Sony only owns the distribution rights in the USA and that Sony does not have access to the original camera negative.

giphy.gif

It's funny how this is all basically true now but for the PS4.
I don't understand Fifth Element Nostalgia unless it's in a "so bad it's good" sort of way

Nostalgia isn't a factor for me, didn't see it for the first time until 2 years ago. Instantly became one of my favorites.

Calabi

I love this film, wish I could watch in the cinema. I love all aspects, especially Chris Tucker.

I think this was one of those movies that was usually used to show of DVD's when they were first released, so would be perfect in 4K.

The Fifth Element.

I still remember coming out of the theater back in 1997 when this was released and wondering "WTF did I just watch?!"

Then over the course of the home video release on subsequent rewatches, I ended up falling in love with the movie. It's like all these little things just clicked in place. The imaginative visual style and depiction of the future in a classic good vs evil premise, the quick pacing and editing style, great music,the enduring characters....this movie was just became pure fun and awesome.

Now it's one of my favorites movies of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom