• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fifth Element is returning to theaters in 4K

Status
Not open for further replies.
For film there's not an exact digital resolution equivalent. But it does require a new scan and I believe the last blu-ray remaster was done at 2K back in 2007(?). So they'd need a new scan at a higher resolution remaster.

Actually, there was another Blu-ray remaster that was done at 4K which was released in late 2015. I just picked that up a few days ago for $8 at Best Buy, and it looks spectacular. It's also got a Dolby Atmos track, which is terrific. I'm sure that this theatrical release and the 4K UHD Blu-ray are based on the same remaster.

Bold One

IIRC, she was doing some live interview in France and the interviewer asked her about her dad going to jail and she blew up on him and walked out. I wanna say she had specifically asked for this subject not to be brought up, but I don't remember.

Oh, I see...shame.

I wish Milla was in more stuff, she's a good actress.

Jintor

i'll be honest. the pacing is shot. the main villain does incomprehensible things for no good reason and turns out to be the pawn of a sentient planet of evil or some shit. bruce willis spends the entire movie being the straight man for some truely bizarre shit. It concludes with some total freaking bullshit.

despite its many problems it is still one of my favourite films to watch.

Bold One

i'll be honest. the pacing is shot. the main villain does incomprehensible things for no good reason and turns out to be the pawn of a sentient planet of evil or some shit. bruce willis spends the entire movie being the straight man for some truely bizarre shit. It concludes with some total freaking bullshit.

despite its many problems it is still one of my favourite films to watch.

The pacing is one of the best things about the film. It's almost perfect.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's one of the ultimate B movies. Like Star Wars EpIV or Flash Gordon. Just pure unadulterated escapism. Will be added to my very short list of UHD discs.

Stare-Bear

Banned
I've got a shitty Blu Ray release where the film isn't cropped correctly and all the FX shots have their shot numbers and other info in the top corners. Worst release ever.

Hopefully this will be better.

Vagabundo

I wish there was more SciFi like the Fifth Element. Soo good.

This needs to come across the pond. No way it should just stay in the US.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I got a ticket that covers three people. I guess that makes it a Multipass.

Syriel

Was 35mm not already 4k?

35mm > 4K

This is mostly a marketing stunt for the Blu. Plus it's cheaper to distribute a 4K digital file than it is to make and distribute 35mm prints.

979668305745423251.jpg

-shadow-

Actually, there was another Blu-ray remaster that was done at 4K which was released in late 2015. I just picked that up a few days ago for $8 at Best Buy, and it looks spectacular. It's also got a Dolby Atmos track, which is terrific. I'm sure that this theatrical release and the 4K UHD Blu-ray are based on the same remaster.

I had no idea it was already remastered in 4k. I'm still rocking my 2010 re-release and absolutely adore that transfer already. Can't wait seeing this one!

televator

What I really love in this movie is the true commitment from the actors to these characters that sound like the most ridiculous things on paper. lol

A DJ diva, gender bending playboy

A pretty angel with orange hair, that was reanimated from the severed hand of some hulking armored thing

A retired soldier who's now a dead beat cab driver that saves the galaxy

Space Hitler

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
That'd be something to see, I might have to get a ticket.

A pretty angel with orange hair, that was reanimated from the severed hand of some hulking armored thing
I couldn't quite grasp the relationship between Leeloo and the thing in the ship when I was a kid, but watching it again as an adult it seemed pretty clear: The thing in the suit was Leeloo, they wear the wear suits for religious reasons.

That's how it seemed to me, anyway.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Fuck yeah 4k multipass and Chris Tucker with a penis hair!

I wish this would come in my country I'd watch it in a heartbeat :(

I remember going on a school trip to Paris and seeing all the posters of this movie in the metro. Watching this movie will always be connected to one of favourite times of my life. And the movie rocks of course.

Jakabok

The only thing that always bugged me was the lack of explanation for the big bad ('Mr Shadow') and Zorg's relationship / deal with it.

That'd be something to see, I might have to get a ticket.

I couldn't quite grasp the relationship between Leeloo and the thing in the ship when I was a kid, but watching it again as an adult it seemed pretty clear: The thing in the suit was Leeloo, they wear the wear suits for religious reasons.

That's how it seemed to me, anyway.

Huh? No those were the keepers of the five elements. An alien species. Leeloo/her original body is/was in the sarcophagus that they transported.

Skeletron

Huh? No those were the keepers of the five elements. An alien species. Leeloo/her original body is/was in the sarcophagus that they transported.
But the hand that they clone Leeloo from looks like one of the alien's armored hands holding some kinda handle. Not a piece of the sarcophagus.

I've heard theories that Leeloo had already been revived onboard the alien ship and was wearing one of their environmental suits when their ship was destroyed, but it does seem like an inconsistency that requires weird assumptions.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
35mm > 4K

This is mostly a marketing stunt for the Blu. Plus it's cheaper to distribute a 4K digital file than it is to make and distribute 35mm prints.

979668305745423251.jpg
I was thinking the same thing...

I was like a 4K projection would have to be worse than the original film. I wish we could get a film screening. :(

I always took it as them using the alien DNA as a starting point for making Leeloo. They combine it with whatever technology they have that clones humans and that's why she looks human.

I never really thought of the aliens as being in suits either, just some sort of weird fusion of metal and organic material. If they are in suits, which would totally make sense, then they must resemble the shape of them to a degree.

Also, this is the greatest film ever made.

Scavenger

I was thinking the same thing...

I was like a 4K projection would have to be worse than the original film. I wish we could get a film screening. :(
35mm release prints generally have less resolution than 4K-2K projection and Blu-ray and that's because of generation loss that occurs between original camera negative and release print.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom