• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

I just saw Princess Kaguya, and wow, it's amazing!
It's better than The Wind Rises, imo. A really stunning film in many ways.
Artistically, musically, thematically - it hits so many high points.
I recommend those who've found Ghibli's latest efforts middling (Poppy Hill, Arrietty etc) to check it out, it's up there with some of the best.

cj_iwakura

From Up On Poppy Hill was wonderful, another god-tier Disney dub too. I wish their writers could save certain animes from their mediocre dubs.

v0yce

I just saw Prince Kaguya, and wow, it's amazing!
I recommend those who've found Ghibli's latest efforts middling (Poppy Hill, Arrietty etc) to check it out, it's up there with some of the best.

Where are you guys watching it? I didn't know it was showing anywhere.

just rewatched Valley Of The Wind and Castle In The Sky the other day... some parts got me all teary eyes and what not, which didn't happen back when I first watched them way back then... ;_;

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I just saw Princess Kaguya, and wow, it's amazing!
Dammit, I missed that when it came out, now it's no longer in theatres. Should have been paying more attention...

When is the Blu-Ray coming out in English? Also is Disney still releasing Ghibli movies in the West?

Macka

Finally got around to watching Spirited Away tonight, and...eh?

Before I get lynched - I didn't hate it. I just didn't like it all that much either.

I mean, it's gorgeous to look at. Beautiful animation. I suppose there is something to be appreciated in the simplicity of the story as well, but I don't know...it just never really interested me all that much. It was nice watching Chihiro grow throughout the film, but it was also long and dull for the most part. I really wish I enjoyed it more.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the other two anime movies I watched recently - The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Akira. The only other Ghibli film I've seen is Howl's Moving Castle, but that was at least 6 years ago and before I got into anime. I remember really disliking that one. I just don't do whimsical I guess. I'll probably keep going through the Ghibli catalogue just in case, but yeah...colour me disappointed.

Before I get lynched - I didn't hate it. I just didn't like it all that much either.

I mean, it's gorgeous to look at. Beautiful animation. I suppose there is something to be appreciated in the simplicity of the story as well, but I don't know...it just never really interested me all that much. It was nice watching Chihiro grow throughout the film, but it was also long and dull for the most part. I really wish I enjoyed it more.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the other two anime movies I watched recently - The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Akira. The only other Ghibli film I've seen is Howl's Moving Castle, but that was at least 6 years ago and before I got into anime. I remember really disliking that one. I just don't do whimsical I guess. I'll probably keep going through the Ghibli catalogue just in case, but yeah...colour me disappointed.

You should watch Mononoke.

codhand

Kaguya wasnt playing at the local theater anymore so i saw,

Song of the Sea

Amazing, must watch for animation fans, fans of Secret of Kells, fans of film.

jett

D-Member
Kaguya was a bit of a bore, and I was nonplussed by its visuals. Most of the time the animation was fairly low-frame by Ghibli standards. I was surprised to find out it was by far the most expensive Ghibli production at $50 million. Then I read they had to redraw every single character outline because their digital coloring system didn't work with the sketchy outline style they used. Jeez. If anything that gave the movie a real lo-fi look to it. :lol

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

If Ghibli's stuff isn't your thing, try checking out the works of Satoshi Kon, Makoto Shinkai, Masaaki Yuasa, and Mamoru Hosoda (director of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time).

cj_iwakura

I'm not a fan of Spirited Away or Howl's either. Check out Mononoke, Nausicca, or Porco Rosso.

Asbel

I didn't like spirited away the first time myself. I was new to ghibli stuff and was expecting something like mononoke which is a lot closer to akira. Spirited Away has since become one of my favorite movies because of how well the story is told. It's not simple to tell a story that well.

Branduil

Kaguya was a bit of a bore, and I was nonplussed by its visuals. Most of the time the animation was fairly low-frame by Ghibli standards. I was surprised to find out it was by far the most expensive Ghibli production at $50 million. Then I read they had to redraw every single character outline because their digital coloring system didn't work with the sketchy outline style they used. Jeez. If anything that gave the movie a real lo-fi look to it. :lol

http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/2cec2be4196b2bf2fb2e5eb6b09db66f.webm

Ultima_5

So stoked for porco Rosso Blu Rays in February. after that I'll only need my neighbors the yamadas and cagilistrilo to have all the ghibli movies Id want

Any word on release for those?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So stoked for porco Rosso Blu Rays in February. after that I'll only need my neighbors the yamadas and cagilistrilo to have all the ghibli movies Id want

Any word on release for those?

Disney will most likely release Yamadas along with Spirited Away and The Cat Returns sometime next year (probably summer or fall).

Discotek is releasing Cagliostro on blu ray in "early 2015".

Shiv47

Been up for pre-order in Japan for a bit, but When Marnie Was There is coming to blu-ray on March 18. Earlier than expected. English subs but no dub.

41rztti-4yL.jpg

Mononoke

Banned
Do we know when Spirited Away is coming to North America? I just ordered The Wind Rises and Kiki Blu Ray (I already imported the Japanese Kiki last year, but figure I'll get the NA version too for the menus).

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger and paying $100 to import Spirited Away. I so badly want to see this in HD.

EDIT: Actually I'll just use Amazon.jp like I did for Porco Rosso and Mononoke. That's cheaper than paying for it on Amazon US.

Mononoke

Banned
I can't believe there still is no U.S. release for Spirited Away. :(

It's out in the UK. I'm so tempted importing it. But at $100. I think Amazon.jp can get it here for $60 after shipping. Watch them announce it in NA in a month.

ombz

I can't believe there still is no U.S. release for Spirited Away. :(

It's out in the UK. I'm so tempted importing it. But at $100. I think Amazon.jp can get it here for $60 after shipping. Watch them announce it in NA in a month.

The Japanese Blurays are expensive but they look so nice:(

Mononoke

Banned
The Japanese Blurays are expensive but they look so nice:(

Yeah I have Porco Rosso, Mononoke and Kiki imported. The cases are amazing. I guess I'll just import Spirited Away and think of it as getting a better packaging and not just an import markup.

Mononoke

Banned
Just ordered Spirited Away from Amazon.jp $55 with shipping. Not bad at all considering the nice packaging. Def better than the $110 from Amazon US. I wonder why they mark up the price that much for imports on the US store. I guess third party sellers are trying to make profit.

I also got the Wind Rises and Kiki (had Kiki on Japanese Blu ray). Today was awesome.

Voror

Got Castle in the Sky the other day and going to watch it tonight. I've always wanted to see it, but always missed it whenever it was on television.

ombz

Just ordered Spirited Away from Amazon.jp $55 with shipping. Not bad at all considering the nice packaging. Def better than the $110 from Amazon US. I wonder why they mark up the price that much for imports on the US store. I guess third party sellers are trying to make profit.

I also got the Wind Rises and Kiki (had Kiki on Japanese Blu ray). Today was awesome.

I love the Kiki box! You won't regret it. I've never had a problem with Amazon.jp. My spirited away box was slightly bent but it was nothing to complain about. I've read that they will work with you if there is a problem.

CapHarlock

Neo Member
Can't wait for Pom Poko to come out, I only have it on an old VHS that was fan subed ages ago. I did not care for Only Yeasterday, found it rather boring.

GCX

Here's an excellent hour-long analysis on what makes Miyazaki's The Castle of Cagliostro an all-time classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5wmuuXZ13E

It's really great watch for any fan of animation or movies in general really. The video breaks down some of they key scenes from the movie and showcases via them why the movie is so good and full of genius filmmaking tricks. I especially love how well thought out the layout of the castle is. All the details shown by the video blew my mind.

I'm really glad an analysis like this exists since Cagliostro is definitely Miyazaki's most underrated movie.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
As expected, GKids has officially acquired the North American distribution rights to 'When Marnie Was There' for a spring theatrical release.

epmode

I've been picking up the Japanese release of every Ghibli film with a screwed up Disney translation (dubtitles, poor translation). I even bought Spirited Away since I LOVE IT TO DEATH and it'll probably be another year before we see it here.

After going through a few of them, I'm thinking of sticking with the Japanese discs in the future. Besides the marginally better image quality, you can pause them without that shitty overlay popping up across the bottom! The only downside is the lack of an English audio track in some releases. ..oh, and the films that include the English track don't replace the Japanese logo with the English one (I always liked that feature in the Disney releases).

What's going on with that Discotek Cagliostro release? I'd just go with the Japanese release but the complaints about DNR ruining the picture quality are keeping me away.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What's going on with that Discotek Cagliostro release? I'd just go with the Japanese release but the complaints about DNR ruining the picture quality are keeping me away.

They're still working on it and it's still slated for 'Early 2015'. They even updated their facebook page a week ago saying they got the 1992 English Lupin Cagliostro voice actor to give an interview for the special features section.

thenexus6

I won't post the link but a particular site has Kaguya to stream for free in 1080. I have full intentions to buy it legally once it comes out, however being in the UK we have to wait about 10 years for the films to release here. I might watch it during the week.

Fritz

I want to introduce my nephews to all the wonderful films of my childhood (and adulthood for that matter) and Ghibli will be a major part of it.

In what order would you introduce the Ghibli films especially regarding age. They are between 6 and 3 now and I think I will stretch it over 6 years at least. This is what I am thinking:

Totoro
Ponyo
Kiki
Laputa
Arrietty
Cagliostro
Nausicaä
Spirited Away
Porco Rosso
Howl
Mononoke
Poppy Hill
The Wind Rises

I don't care for the rest

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I want to introduce my nephews to all the wonderful films of my childhood (and adulthood for that matter) and Ghibli will be a major part of it.

In what order would you introduce the Ghibli films especially regarding age. They are between 6 and 3 now and I think I will stretch it over 6 years at least. This is what I am thinking:

Totoro
Ponyo
Kiki
Laputa
Arrietty
Cagliostro
Nausicaä
Spirited Away
Porco Rosso
Howl
Mononoke
Poppy Hill
The Wind Rises

Ponyo first, since it's the "youngest" out of all of Ghibli's films. Then Totoro. The rest of the list is good but I'm not so sure I'd show 3-6 year olds Spirited Away, Mononoke, or The Wind Rises. I'd wait until they were a bit older.

Getting there. Next month, Nausicaa and... Ponyo maybe? Howl's? I already own both US versions.

Will these work on a US PS3 / PS4? And are there english subtitles?

I want to start buying the Ghibli Blu Rays but I'm afraid they're going to release a box set like they did last fall in the UK.

Yes they'll work on a US PS3 / PS4, and there's English subtitles. Most also got English dub.

Awesome! Yikes, these are super expensive though. Around $50 bucks + shipping :O

I ordered the US BR for Princess Mononoke, Wind Rises and pre ordered Princess Kaguya for almost the price of one of these. I might just bite the bullet and order Spirited Away from Amazon Japan. Even though it might ruin the uniformity, it will still be a lot cheaper this way, even if a box set happens to appear.

Top Bottom