• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

Doombear

Wind Rises, Mononoke, Kiki - tomorrow! :)

Skipped Wind Rises for now, as I could only grab two and I have been waiting for Mononoke forEVER. Kiki's too. I am super excited to watch them tomorrow, and even more excited to make the custom covers for them that mimics the Japanese covers.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Why did no one tell me this was a thing?! OMG

Miyazaki_Hisaishi_Soundtrack_BOX_Japan_CD_BoxSet_cover.jpg

Studio Ghibli "Hayao Miyazaki & Joe Hisaishi" Soundtrack Box (Compilation CD Box Set)

Joe Hisaishi is the best. I'm definitely getting this for Christmas.

e_i

Oh yeah? So crisis averted?

I think the subtitle track, while not dubtitles, was redone (not the Miramax original) and not as good as they should be and was probably contanimated by the dub script. The "donkey piss" line is an example of this.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I think the subtitle track, while not dubtitles, was redone (not the Miramax original) and not as good as they should be and was probably contanimated by the dub script. The "donkey piss" line is an example of this.

I...don't recall that line. :S

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
cmMXhfH.png

Aw yeah! So close to a complete collection.

Here's hoping for My Neighbors The Yamadas someday. I know it's not as beloved, but I was a huge fan of it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

From DVD Talk's review:

As for the subtitles...well, here's where it gets a little more disappointing (and confusing). The main feature includes optional English, English SDH, and French subtitles, and neither of the first two options correctly translates the original Japanese audio. Yep, they're "dubtitles", even though Miramax's original DVD included both versions...but for whatever reason, the English and SDH subtitles don't always match up. The SDH captions appear to be a perfect representation of the English dub, while the standard subtitles are worded differently on occasion and omit some of the English dialogue.

I can't find any good reviews of either Mononoke or Kiki yet though.

I...don't recall that line. :S

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138144058&postcount=13485

Blader

When is When Marnie Was There coming to Blu-ray in Japan?

Probably early next summer. There's usually a year of turnaround between theatrical and home releases for anime films. Why Japan takes so fucking long, I have no idea.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It seems as though GKids is releasing the Kaguya Blu-ray on Feb. 10, following Disney's Blu-ray releases of Pom Poko, Porco Rosso, and Tales from Earthsea on Feb. 3.

Dryk

Just got back from a screening of Kaguya. That was the most beautiful and depressing film I've seen in ages.

I just watched Spirited Away on Bluray for the first time. I am blown away. This is probably the most impressive Bluray I've ever seen. You can see the brush strokes on the background cels.

Hey guys,

I'm watching Ghibli movies I've never seen until now.
I already watched : Spirited Away (when I was younger - I loved it), Totoro (which I found kind of meh) and Kiki's Delivery Service (which I loved). I also read Nausicaa.

I have Porco Rosso, Castle In The Sky, Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo. Which one should I watch next ?

Thanks.

LuuKyK

I just watched Spirited Away on Bluray for the first time. I am blown away. This is probably the most impressive Bluray I've ever seen. You can see the brush strokes on the background cels.

It really is a masterpiece and its art is so palpable, you can see each stroke of color and detail. Its amazing indeed.

Doombear

It really is a masterpiece and its art is so palpable, you can see each stroke of color and detail. Its amazing indeed.

The way I feel about the gorgeous art style of Spirited Away is the way I feel about the amazing audio style of The Wind Rises.

Futureman

is there anything new about Ghibli putting their movie productions on hold?

Just say Princess Kaguya last night and loved it. Still so many Ghibli films I haven't seen but sad if they won't be producing more.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
is there anything new about Ghibli putting their movie productions on hold?

Just say Princess Kaguya last night and loved it. Still so many Ghibli films I haven't seen but sad if they won't be producing more.

They still have one more to release in the US - When Marnie Was There. I don't think it has a distributor yet but it should be out next year.

Coreda

Why did no one tell me this was a thing?! OMG

Studio Ghibli "Hayao Miyazaki & Joe Hisaishi" Soundtrack Box (Compilation CD Box Set). Joe Hisaishi is the best. I'm definitely getting this for Christmas.

Just had to buy this. 13 HQCD discs, and a pretty good deal considering Ghibli prices and it being a limited edition. First time I finally have the soundtracks, and it's a joy.

The collection is ordered by original OST/edition release date (rather than film release date), beginning with Nausicaä. The first two soundtracks are dual fold, with Nausicaä including a fold-out music sheet, and Laputa a transparent sheet printed like an animation cell. while the rest are single sleeve. Most include a sheet with album info and artwork on both sides. The discs themselves are styled similar to a record, with the inner circle colored differently for each release. A booklet with album information is also included.

Disc 01 (Blue) - Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Disc 02 (Pink) - Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Disc 03 (Green) - My Neighbor Totoro
Disc 04 (Purple) - Kiki's Delivery Service
Disc 05 (Light Pink) - Porco Rosso
Disc 06 (Pine/Dark Green) - Princess Mononoke
Disc 07 (Black) - Spirited Away
Disc 08 (Pink) - Laputa: Castle in the Sky (USA version) [contains more tracks and arrangements]
Disc 09 (Tan/Light Brown) - Howl's Moving Castle
Disc 10 (Turquoise) - Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea
Disc 11 (Salmon) - Mr. Dough and the Egg Princess
Disc 12 (Navy) - The Wind Rises
Disc 13 (Brown) - Kiki's Delivery Service (Mini Drama CD) [single 13m track, previously unreleased outside of a 1989 promo]

box-frontcmr44.jpg

box-back4wrqy.jpg

box-openpxr8b.jpg

coversstackedjqrh7.jpg

coversspread56pd3.jpg

booklet-1fyrw2.jpg

booklet-255pg3.jpg

nausicaa-innerdaope.jpg

laputa-inner00ocq.jpg

laputa-cell8kqaq.jpg

totoro-spread3bo5l.jpg

totoro-macro49rca.jpg

thewindrises-macrolbp7d.jpg

mr.doughmacro8qq30.jpg

sheetscans-mr.doughpaqwv.jpg

sheetscans-porcorossoy5rhi.jpg

sheetscans-princessmo93osx.jpg

Lynd7

CD box is stunning. Really nice.

Question. Has anyone found a good alternative to the plastic sleeves that come with the Japanese Blu Ray's? I originally didn't like them and actually didn't keep them. I tried to use the hard plastic sleeves that you can buy for steel books, but the Ghibli's were very slightly too big.

Any recommendations?

Edit: Ok.... Just ordered that CD box for myself.

I've seen those gorgeous Japanese Blu-Rays before, and I'm getting more and more tempted to buy them. I've seen quite a few of Hayao Miyazaki's films and absolutely loved them! I need to try watching some of the rest of the studios movies.

What's the best/ cheapest place to buy those blurays from?

PolishQ

I've seen those gorgeous Japanese Blu-Rays before, and I'm getting more and more tempted to buy them. I've seen quite a few of Hayao Miyazaki's films and absolutely loved them! I need to try watching some of the rest of the studios movies.

Amazon.co.jp

I second Amazon.co.jp. I recommend ordering in bigger batches. Like four or five movies at a time. More if you can do it. You save a lot on the shipping in the long run versus buying one or two at a time.

Asbel

I see, I got's Mononoke already since it's my favorite Ghibli film but still on the fence on the Wind Rises the Kiki... they worth it?

I was hesitant on The Wind Rises since it looked so grounded compared to his more magical worlds, but there are a lot of dream sequences and the level of detail makes it worth seeing in HD. And the story really shows the love for flying and building airplanes. This is another fantastic movie by the master.

Doombear

NA Amazon now has Porco Rosso and Pom Poko blu-rays available to preorder! February 3rd release date. Almost almost done with this silly NA collection!

Futureman

is it likely we'll ever get a US Blu-Ray box set with all the movies? or should I just start buying them individually? I guess I need to get a blu-ray player first...

Top Bottom