• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

So my sister wanted to know if there are good animated films (not by Ghibli) that are similar to Only Yesterday, Laputa and Whisper of the Heart? I have no idea myself, so does anyone here know?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So my sister wanted to know if there are good animated films (not by Ghibli) that are similar to Only Yesterday, Laputa and Whisper of the Heart? I have no idea myself, so does anyone here know?

Hmmm...Makoto Shinkai's 5cm Per Second reminded me a bit of Ocean Waves, which is one of Ghibli's more realistic films. So maybe that? Hosoda's Wolf Children is very Ghibli-esque so check that one out too.

Neither of those are very much like Only Yesterday, Laputa or Whisper of the Heart, but they were the first that came to mind.

is she willing to watch tv series? she could watch some pre-ghibli stuff by miyazaki and takahata

Hmmm...Makoto Shinkai's 5cm Per Second reminded me a bit of Ocean Waves, which is one of Ghibli's more realistic films. So maybe that? Hosoda's Wolf Children is very Ghibli-esque so check that one out too.

Neither of those are very much like Only Yesterday, Laputa or Whisper of the Heart, but they were the first that came to mind.

Thank you both! She very much appreciates the suggestions :D

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Collected Works of Ghibli's Isao Takahata Offered on BD/DVD

The official website for Isao Takahata announced that Takahata Isao Kantoku Sakuhin-shū (The Collected Works of Director Isao Takahata) will ship on Blu-ray and DVD in Japan on January 21, 2015.

The collection will include the main directorial works of Takahata from Taiyō no Ōji - Hols no Daibōken (Little Norse Prince Valiant) to The Tale of Princess Kaguya. It will cost 40,000 yen (about US$400) on DVD or 60,000 yen (US$600) on Blu-ray Disc.

Coreda

Ponyo was actually the last film I watched with my grandma before she passed away a few weeks ago. Thought it would be something she would like, as she always had ideas for children's books. She enjoyed it, and although she was extremely frail at that point it was something pleasant to keep her mind off things, and a time to spend with me.

After watching it in English for the first time and hearing the dub I began to wonder if my dissatisfaction of it was the voice talent or the script itself, and whether I'd think something similar of the native version if I spoke Japanese. Started a thread related to this at the time but sadly had no replies. I do wonder if the voice acting in the Japanese versions are as enjoyable for native speakers.

DVCY201

Yeah, I've got all the English language ones and all the JP and UK Blu-rays.

Fb9JsHZ.jpg

Those look gorgeous. I'm thinking of importing a few too, but they are expensive! But seriously, wow! I'd love to have all of those on my shelf.

SirKhalid

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The blurays for Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service and The Wind Rises (finally!!!) arrive on US shores 10 days from now!

Note:

Princess Mononoke has dubtitles like Laputa >:/

epmode

I don't speak Japanese but even I can tell that something's wrong with Laputa's subtitle track. Is there any way to replace it with a real one? Using PowerDVD or something.

Does the Japanese release have the same English subtitles? I'd consider replacing my copy if it has a real translation.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I don't speak Japanese but even I can tell that something's wrong with Laputa's subtitle track. Is there any way to replace it with a real one? Using PowerDVD or something.

I don't think so, no.

Does the Japanese release have the same English subtitles? I'd consider replacing my copy if it has a real translation.

The Japanese (as well as the Taiwanese and Hong Kong) version has the proper English subtitles, afaik.

Pau

The blurays for Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service and The Wind Rises (finally!!!) arrive on US shores 10 days from now!

Note:

I don't understand why they do this. I think the DVD had the same problem. I thought maybe they just "lost" it or some bullshit, but then I saw Princess Mononoke at the IFC with proper subtitles. If I'm paying $25 - $35 for a movie, they could at least include proper subtitles.

epmode

According to this, the Japanese release of Mononoke has two English subtitle tracks. Dubtitles and a real translation. I assume that the same goes for Laputa.

You're sure that the American Mononoke only has that one subtitle track? I'll cancel my order and go with an import then.

Man, I know I've seen Disney releases of Ghibli stuff with 2 English subtitle teacks. This is annoying.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I don't understand why they do this. I think the DVD had the same problem. I thought maybe they just "lost" it or some bullshit, but then I saw Princess Mononoke at the IFC with proper subtitles. If I'm paying $25 - $35 for a movie, they could at least include proper subtitles.

I don't know either - there was a backlash when people found out Laputa had dubtitles and it didn't happen again until now, which suggested that Disney cared not to make the same mistake again, but now here we are again with dubtitles. I don't get it.

You're sure that the American Mononoke only has that one subtitle track? I'll cancel my order and go with an import then.

https://twitter.com/ANNZac/status/530542617524973569

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
If anyone is going to Paris before March 1th 2015, you should definitely check out the "Dessins du Studio Ghibli" ("Ghibli Studio Drawings") exhibition at the Art Ludique museum.

They've got 1300 layouts from pretty much all Ghibli and pre-Ghibli stuff, including lesser known works like On Your Mark and - apparently for the first time - layouts from Marnie, even though it only came out a few months ago in Japan. It's not even out in France yet. The audio guide has an English track I think.

The sheer number of layouts will take you hours to go through. Hugely recommended... My friends and I had to wait 1H30 in line to get in though. The French just love their Ghibli that much.

http://www.artludique.com/index2.html

thenexus6

I hope they release video of Miyazaki at the awards last night, I found a post Q/A but its all in Japanese. Hoping they put out one of the actual event on stage.

If anyone is going to Paris before March 1th 2015, you should definitely check out the "Dessins du Studio Ghibli" ("Ghibli Studio Drawings") exhibition at the Art Ludique museum.

They've got 1300 layouts from pretty much all Ghibli and pre-Ghibli stuff, including lesser known works like On Your Mark and - apparently for the first time - layouts from Marnie, even though it only came out a few months ago in Japan. It's not even out in France yet. The audio guide has an English track I think.

The sheer number of layouts will take you hours to go through. Hugely recommended... My friends and I had to wait 1H30 in line to get in though. The French just love their Ghibli that much.

http://www.artludique.com/index2.html

Went with my girlfriend a couple of weeks ago - it was amazing though a little tiring (and the lines are huge, what's up with that).

The day after we watched Princess Kaguya, which made it even more amazing.

Kilrogg, did you buy any memorabilia? Wanted to pretty much buy everything, ended up with a poster, a mug and a couple of postcards.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Went with my girlfriend a couple of weeks ago - it was amazing though a little tiring (and the lines are huge, what's up with that).

The day after we watched Princess Kaguya, which made it even more amazing.

Kilrogg, did you buy any memorabilia? Wanted to pretty much buy everything, ended up with a poster, a mug and a couple of postcards.

Just this:

l1cDC1A.jpg

I was weak, because I love No Face. Ghibli memorabilia is so expensive though.
Although from what I was told the exhibition artbook is actually fairly affordable at around €35. But then that's not Ghibli-manufactured obviously.

The piggy bank above was € 53... It's well made, but it's just a plastic piggy bank. I thought higher quality material would be used. Oh well, at least it won't break easily, and it looks good. There was also a cute music box of No Face knitting with the rat and the bird. It was cute, but it was smaller and more expensive than the piggy bank.

What did you and your girlfriend think of Kaguya?

Just this:

l1cDC1A.jpg

I was weak, because I love No Face. Ghibli memorabilia is so expensive though.
Although from what I was told the exhibition artbook is actually fairly affordable at around €35. But then that's not Ghibli-manufactured obviously.

The piggy bank above was € 53... It's well made, but it's just a plastic piggy bank. I thought higher quality material would be used. Oh well, at least it won't break easily, and it looks good. There was also a cute music box of No Face knitting with the rat and the bird. It was cute, but it was smaller and more expensive than the piggy bank.

What did you and your girlfriend think of Kaguya?

Could not afford to buy only one thing and smth so expensive, since I already had spent more than 40 euros for gifts. I wonder if they're going to keep selling Ghibli stuff - I want to send my gf money to buy more.

As for Kaguya, I wrote my impressions in the other thread, will re-post here:

I saw this a couple of weeks ago - it was stunningly beautiful and utterly heartbreaking.

I am a huge fan of Takahata and this - like The Wind Rises - felt like his personal farewell project.

Takahata is less egocentric than Miyazaki, so while Miyazaki's last film is about planes, flying and if it is worth giving everything to accomplish art, Takahata's Kaguya is all about the fleetingness of the human existence, the beauty and sadness of life, the wants and needs of people and how they are bent from society's rules. Some of it is cliche, but there is an underlying wisdom and sadness throughout the film where you can see Takahata's vision intact, from Grave of the Fireflies to this day.

The last frame of the movie really killed me - mainly because I felt like the director is sending off his audience, going back to the start. (Kaguya's) Life is fleeting, full of despair and trouble, and beauty that somehow makes it all worth it.

I'm feeling depressed now :-(

- edit - Girlfriend loved the film as well - and she too thought that this was Takahata's farewell message. Something weird - lights didn't open until the credits of the movie rolled and the audience waited till the credits were done between leaving the theater. Did not understand if it's a french thing to do or they were just emotionally affected by the ending.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Could not afford to buy only one thing and smth so expensive, since I already had spent more than 40 euros for gifts. I wonder if they're going to keep selling Ghibli stuff - I want to send my gf money to buy more.

Tell me about it. I was just so impressed with the exhibition that I could not resist. A shame they skimped on the Spirited Away train pic thing. I wanted to do it, but using a green screen instead of an actual set is cheap.

As for Kaguya, I wrote my impressions in the other thread, will re-post here:

I saw this a couple of weeks ago - it was stunningly beautiful and utterly heartbreaking.

I am a huge fan of Takahata and this - like The Wind Rises - felt like his personal farewell project.

Takahata is less egocentric than Miyazaki, so while Miyazaki's last film is about planes, flying and if it is worth giving everything to accomplish art, Takahata's Kaguya is all about the fleetingness of the human existence, the beauty and sadness of life, the wants and needs of people and how they are bent from society's rules. Some of it is cliche, but there is an underlying wisdom and sadness throughout the film where you can see Takahata's vision intact, from Grave of the Fireflies to this day.

The last frame of the movie really killed me - mainly because I felt like the director is sending off his audience, going back to the start. (Kaguya's) Life is fleeting, full of despair and trouble, and beauty that somehow makes it all worth it.

I'm feeling depressed now :-(

The last arc has a rushed feel to it. I understand the sense of urgency and inevitability, but I thought there could have been more of a transition (or at least, more/better foreshadowing) between her 'normal' life and the realization of who she is and what she must do, especially for a 2h30-long film. I mean, you know all along she doesn't belong to this world and that she herself isn't conscious of her true origins and duty, but her realization felt too sudden all the same. Really weird feeling. Other than that I absolutely loved it.

- edit - Girlfriend loved the film as well - and she too thought that this was Takahata's farewell message. Something weird - lights didn't open until the credits of the movie rolled and the audience waited till the credits were done between leaving the theater. Did not understand if it's a french thing to do or they were just emotionally affected by the ending.

Neither is obligatory, but it is common for the French - including me and my friends - to stay until the credits have rolled, if only because the film was good and the ending song was good as well. It's part of the experience and a way to take it all in and start reflecting on what we just saw. I'd leave the theatre right away if it was just some dumb action flick with a generic bombastic credits music.

Also you never know, there might be an additional scene after the credits.

I just watched Howl's Moving Castle recently. Surprised it took me so long. Thought it started great but lost a bit of steam in the last third or so. I enjoyed it though. The soundtrack was incredible and Christian Bale knocked it out of the park. Never heard him do voice work before.

epmode

Was thinking about watching Nausica or Laputa tonight. They're both just so good.

Watching Nausicaa just disappoints me since it's missing so much great stuff from the manga. It would have been nice if they'd gone back to create a trilogy or something. Ah well.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
What are people's impressions on Kaguya? I saw it today and loved it. Liked it more than The Wind Rises and I liked that one a lot when it came out on cinemas. Sad to see so little hype for the movie.

thenexus6

I just watched Howl's Moving Castle recently. Surprised it took me so long. Thought it started great but lost a bit of steam in the last third or so. I enjoyed it though. The soundtrack was incredible and Christian Bale knocked it out of the park. Never heard him do voice work before.

That was the first Ghibli movie I watched so for me its a little bit more special compared to others. Not seen in years, but I bought the blu ray last week as I want to rewatch it over Christmas.

What are people's impressions on Kaguya? I saw it today and loved it. Liked it more than The Wind Rises and I liked that one a lot when it came out on cinemas. Sad to see so little hype for the movie.

Yeah, I'd like to hear people's impressions too! I am planning to go see it on Wednesday at the Laemmle's Playhouse in Pasadena. I'm excited since you said you enjoyed it more than The Wind Rises and I thought it was great!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Yeah, I'd like to hear people's impressions too! I am planning to go see it on Wednesday at the Laemmle's Playhouse in Pasadena. I'm excited since you said you enjoyed it more than The Wind Rises and I thought it was great!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=855772

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=918883

Top Bottom