• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

survivor

Banned
Yesyesyesyesyes :D

opp-bd.jpg

Already mine. Love the purple for Kiki.

It's good that the best Ghibli movie is getting the BD treatment.

GCX

Yeah frames of animation, doubling the count from 12 to 24 for example.
Umm they'd have to pretty much remake the whole movie since every frame is drawn separately.

Princess Mononoke for example has 150 000 animation frames so they'd have two draw 150k more to double it.

jerry1594

Umm they'd have to pretty much remake the whole movie since every frame is drawn separately.

Princess Mononoke for example has 150 000 animation frames so they'd have two draw 150k more to double it.

I know, but what I'm asking if they could draw 150,000 frames to insert, or would they have to draw 300,000 new frames?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Disney previously held the distribution rights to Studio Ghibli's catalog in the West, but its contract concluded with the release of "The Secret World of Arrietty" earlier this year.

Why would Disney drop Ghibli? Seems stupid since they've been investing in the brand these last few years. Plus, Lasseter loves them.

tuffy

I know, but what I'm asking if they could draw 150,000 frames to insert, or would they have to draw 300,000 new frames?
Inserting new frames into an existing film would mean re-painting all the backgrounds, putting animation cels back into production, photographing them the same way, and so on. It's literally impossible.

Making a whole new film from scratch would be easier.

GCX

It would be incredibly difficult for an animator to draw new frames between the work that some other animator did 15 years ago. Not to mention the backgrounds, getting new frames in right place, etc.

I don't really get the whole point either since Ghibli movies are generally very fluid and even the movies from 80s still look really beautiful.

zethren

Banned
<3 Spirited Away.

One of my favorite movies.

*Begs for BluRay release*

Also was a huge fan of Ponyo and The Cat Returns.

jerry1594

Inserting new frames into an existing film would mean re-painting all the backgrounds, putting animation cels back into production, photographing them the same way, and so on. It's literally impossible.

Making a whole new film from scratch would be easier.

Is it really, or just very difficult or extremely time consuming?

It would be incredibly difficult for an animator to draw new frames between the work that some other animator did 15 years ago. Not to mention the backgrounds, getting new frames in right place, etc.

I don't really get the whole point either since Ghibli movies are generally very fluid and even the movies from 80s still look really beautiful.

The art style looks great, they all hold up very well. But I can't help but notice the stutters between frames.

Leeness

That purple Kiki... Kiki is my favourite Ghibli, do I may have to just put out the money for that.

So it has the dub as well? Phil Hartman? :D

GCX

It would be very difficult, extremely time consuming and not worth the investment.

Ghibli movies are expensive to make and they need great box office results to recoup the costs. Making an extra 150k animation frames to an old movie would be equally expensive but the profits would be nowhere near close to a new movie release. They'd make loss with it.

jerry1594

It would be very difficult, extremely time consuming and not worth the investment.

Ghibli movies are expensive to make and they need great box office results to recoup the costs. Making an extra 150k animation frames to an old movie would be equally expensive but the profits would be nowhere near close to a new movie release. They'd make loss with it.

I see. It would have to be a labor of love with a heavy amount of $$$ thrown in then.

tuffy

You'd need to:
  • get a source for a a lot of animation cels, which aren't manufactured anymore
  • get a complete set of backgrounds, which must match exactly (the originals are production ephemera, and not likely to be usable today)
  • draw those in-between cels with nothing but finished film as a reference
  • hand paint those in-between cels with nothing but finished film as a reference
  • photograph them on matching film stock and at the same settings as the original
It would be a monumental task for very little reward.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Why would Disney drop Ghibli? Seems stupid since they've been investing in the brand these last few years. Plus, Lasseter loves them.

I don't really know anything about this deal, but perhaps it was Ghibli who dropped Disney? Maybe GKids had a better philosophy regarding the films or something? Disney has done a pretty bad-ish job with releasing Ghibli stuff in the US. (outside of some promotional stuff here and there and the quality of the blurays, which is great, but I'm not sure how much Disney has to do with that) Films come at least a year after every other country, not only in theaters but also on Bluray/DVD. The voice casts, I think, are chosen based on celebrity, and not talent; their refusal to release certain titles, etc.

Who knows?

jerry1594

You'd need to:
  • get a source for a a lot of animation cels, which aren't manufactured anymore
  • get a complete set of backgrounds, which must match exactly (the originals are production ephemera, and not likely to be usable today)
  • draw those in-between cels with nothing but finished film as a reference
  • hand paint those in-between cels with nothing but finished film as a reference
  • photograph them on matching film stock and at the same settings as the original
It would be a monumental task for very little reward.

Damn well there's that pie in the sky. Well aside from this nitpick the movies are pretty much perfect.

omgkitty

Maybe because it doesn't make enough money for them? They probably don't see a high enough investment to profit ratio for them to feel it's worth it.

jerry1594

Anyone care to post their favorite musical piece out of all the movies they've seen?

I don't get the hate for Ponyo. I mean Totoro has a very similar feel to it, and pretty much everyone here loves it.

Desmond

Is there any chance of Panda Go Panda getting a BD release?

I'm thinking of getting the DVD release, but it's a Manga UK release so it doesn't fit in with the Studio Canal releases. If I could PhotoShop well, I'd make a cover in the same style as Lupin/Norse Prince/ other Ghibli releases. :(

51WPs87judL.jpg

51P55WVAR4L.jpg

cj_iwakura

Anyone care to post their favorite musical piece out of all the movies they've seen?

I don't get the hate for Ponyo. I mean Totoro has a very similar feel to it, and pretty much everyone here loves it.

The dub closing song in Mononoke is pretty great, but I have a fondness for Country Roads.

Lhadatt

For anyone in Houston, two Ghibli films are screening today. Porco Rosso is at 2 pm, and Ocean Waves is at 4 pm, both in Japanese with subtitles. The films are screening at the Museum of Fine Arts at Montrose @ Bissonett, and I believe tickets are $7 for each movie.

bangai-o

Banned
i did recently watch the Secret World of Merrietti.
was not great. The voice for the boy was awful awful. The way it was revealed he was dying should have been done better, like after him and Merrietti became friends rather than when they have their formal introductions. That and his voice made it so you cant even hear what he is saying. I guess I shouldnt say the whole movie was bad. I liked alot of the adventure aspects. its just the boy brought it all down for me. And they never explained the bird. is the bird a gaurdian?

Subprime

I was wondering the other day, (not sure why I'm specifically talking to you about this, lol) how feasible would it be to add frames into these movies?

Why would you want to? I know videogamers love to wank about frame rate in games, but high framerates aren't necesarily better in actual art.

Subprime

do the new blu rays have more behind the scenes stuff? I enjoy watching the process of doing traditional animation as much as actually making it, especially when they look at how they do reference shots and foli work.

Desmond

i did recently watch the Secret World of Merrietti.
was not great. The voice for the boy was awful awful. The way it was revealed he was dying should have been done better, like after him and Merrietti became friends rather than when they have their formal introductions. That and his voice made it so you cant even hear what he is saying. I guess I shouldnt say the whole movie was bad. I liked alot of the adventure aspects. its just the boy brought it all down for me. And they never explained the bird. is the bird a gaurdian?
Merrietti.

jerry1594

The dub closing song in Mononoke is pretty great, but I have a fondness for Country Roads.

Everyone's like John Denver lolwtf but the Country Roads love over there comes from a cover that climbed the charts by Olivia Newton-John. I personally like the Japanese version of the closing song better, but that's because on the soundtrack the English version doesn't have instrumentation. I just saw the movie subbed for the first time and why the hell is Moro voiced by an old guy? I don't know how to speak it but it seems the English dub did a better job being expressive even though and because they deviated from the original script.

Edit- Are we both talking about the one sung where Ashitaka is in the wolf den?

Ashhong

I really like that simple whistling song from the intro of Totoro. I can't find it on youtube though, don't know what to search for.

I just rewatched Totoro on Blu-ray the other day, it was glourious. :)
I really cannot wait for Kiki though, definitely one of my top favourites (besides Laputa and Porco Rosso).

No relation. GKids handled the recent Ghibli retrospective tour in the US.

Yeah, I checked out their catalogue after making that post and it looks like the movies will be in good hands. My guess is that the dubs will still be really good, but it won't be full of the big mainstream name acting talent that Disney pulled from.

It's just kind of annoying that the movies have to change localization companies, rather than being consistent in the US>

meppi

Never been very interested in anime besides a couple of movies.
Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor, Gunnm and Summer Wars for instance.

But last years I decided to buy Totoro, Nausicaa and Spirited Away.
Watched all 3 of them during the summer and was blown away with every one of them.
Totoro remains as one of my favourite movies ever, and that most likely will never change.

But I stopped buying the DVDs since I read how all the titles ware gonna start coming out on Bluray.
Already bought every single one that's out in the UK as I don't even want to think about waiting for a Benelux release, which probably has a lesser quality sub, not to mention awful dub. Not that that last one matters, unless they cut the original language track for some reason. Which I wouldn't put past the people here...

So this weekend I watched Howl's Moving Castle and again, I'm blown away by the imagination that goes into every single Ghibli film, not to mention all the incredibly detailed sets. So much to take in at once!

Don't understand why Ponyo gets cast aside like that either as I loved it.
Didn't think I would from looking at the packaging and a teaser trailer I watched a while ago, but I know that for the film to work, you have to let yourself get swept away in the story and the characters, and not just go by looks or first impressions to decide if it'll be for you or not.

Just found out that the Bluray for Totoro has been up on Amazon UK and is set to be released on November 12th! :D

jerry1594

If he had done it as a trilogy it would have worked perfectly.

What I love about these movies is they're a chapter in a story. Two orphans had a great adventure and it ends with them saying goodbye and flying off into a sunset. A little boy pledges his love to a fish and it ends with a freeze frame. A young man and woman part ways after falling in love saying they'll meet again. I think the epilogue in Porco Rosso illustrates it the best. I love that.

Top Bottom