• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The FINAL FANTASY I-VI COLLECTION ANNIVERSARY EDITION will launch for PS4 and Nintendo Switch on October 8, 2024

Paltheos

Anyone else have feedback on these criticisms? Because I was initially floored by this as a physical cart release and not many games do that to me anymore...

Can't say I had any technical visual issues. I agree on not liking the font though. I played on PC though and patched them all out immediately though so I can't give you more feedback on long-term play with them.

My issues have more to do with some of the design choices. FF1-5 all use the same visual effects for spells. 6 is the only one where Square splurged on actually redrawing the game's original animations (and only like 95% of them).

The remixed OSTs are generally good though. I don't have much a point of perspective on 1-3, but 4 and 5's are pretty good across the board. 6's is mixed.

Boss Mog

Took that long for the official English version to come out? :messenger_astonished:

The Asia version has English text and has been available since April 2023.

final-fantasy-ivi-pixel-remaster-collection-multilanguage-747457.5.jpg
No, the Pixel Remaster Collection had an official release in North America and Europe in 2021. They were sold in limited quantities exclusively on the Square-Enix Store and sold out the same day the pre-orders went live. This new edition is a sort of reprint but the cover is different, they dropped the pixel remaster logo and added shitty text about free stickers.

BlackTron

This is the stuttering issue in action:

If you don't notice it in the video then you won't have a problem with the remasters.

I can definitely notice it, and yeah it's annoying, but good to know there's a fix (on PC of course).

In summary, it stutters because movement speed is 80 but used to be 60. The fix changes movement speed back to 60. I don't know if I would care enough to want slower speed. But some purists might prefer original speed anyway lol.

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
I can definitely notice it, and yeah it's annoying, but good to know there's a fix (on PC of course).

In summary, it stutters because movement speed is 80 but used to be 60. The fix changes movement speed back to 60. I don't know if I would care enough to want slower speed. But some purists might prefer original speed anyway lol.

IIRC the stutter also made that certain fighting scenes were lost. The characters move forward when casting a spell or hitting someone and then returned to their original spot, the stutter would desync the position and so characters would move forward, hit, move backwards but then no longer move forward again in subsequent actions. It was mentioned in the original PP thread.

BlackTron

IIRC the stutter also made that certain fighting scenes were lost. The characters move forward when casting a spell or hitting someone and then returned to their original spot, the stutter would desync the position and so characters would move forward, hit, move backwards but then no longer move forward again in subsequent actions. It was mentioned in the original PP thread.

Wow that seems like a huge debacle.

Shin-Ra

Still blows my mind just how poorly they half-assed the original release of this. Just pure incompetence from top to bottom.
Final Fantasy VII (PS4) still has background music randomly cut out during scene transitions which can be a major mood killer if it happens during a cutscene. They never bothered to patch in a nearest neighbour / point sampled scaling option. Forget about 3D scaling options to match the low res 2D art properly. No controls option to turn off L3/R3 cheat shortcuts.

It’s a really low-effort port of one of the all-time greats.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
That is awesome that it is a physical edition but I'm not too crazy about the pixelized remastered look.

Gambit2483

Ahh, great, will probably grab it from VGP then unless the copies show up on Amazon or BestBuy. I have the Switch copy but want PS4 one as wel.
Videogames plus is fast becoming one of my Clutch go-to online stores. Especially if you live in US where the exchange rates can get you slightly cheaper prices.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
I feel out of touch. I had no idea the PS4 version had become prohibitively expensive.

Pre-ordered.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Just ordered this sexy beast. (from Hit).
I'm tempted to order it for the PS4 as well since I keep seeing the listing for the physical edition at the usual video game retailers where I buy my console games. I think the lowest price I've seen was around €60, which is a good deal compared to what I paid for the Asian multi-language release from PlayAsia a year ago (€100 with VAT/shipping included).

GHG

He’s pointing out the lack of an Xbox release.

Bravo, you've just replied to a post that is a month old where a subsequent discussion took place. Here's the summary for you:

Even without Xbox being included it's still very much multiplatform release.

Top Bottom