• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S2 |OT2| Jays of Future Past - Tuesdays 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best moment of the episode

6HlxwvH.gif

I can't wait for someone to make an E3 gif out of this :3

Mark Waid has condemned the show?

Also, Johns sucks and his Flash run was just a Rogues one.
What

His Wally run was great

I find it amusing that the guy who wrote a much loved story about one of The Flash's villains posing as The Flash that ended with a character getting over their baggage and becoming faster than any speedster who'd ever existed doesn't like a story about one of The Flash's villains posing as The Flash that seems likely to end with a character getting over their baggage and becoming faster than any speedster.
Sure if you dumb down Return of Barry Allen like that and remove all context, then they're totally the same and Waid is totally a hypocrite

ZeroX03

Banned
I find it amusing that the guy who wrote a much loved story about one of The Flash's villains posing as The Flash that ended with a character getting over their baggage and becoming faster than any speedster who'd ever existed doesn't like a story about one of The Flash's villains posing as The Flash that seems likely to end with a character getting over their baggage and becoming faster than any speedster.

The Return of Barry Allen didn't fuck with Barry's legacy, he still lived and did all sorts of heroic things. And the story really had little to do with Barry, it was all about Wally. The story in the show currently basically has Jay Garrick as the alias of a serial killer and nothing else.

Waid's calmed down after Berlanti said they wouldn't screw Jay over anyway.

Mark Waid has condemned the show?

Also, Johns sucks and his Flash run was just a Rogues one.

Johns doesn't suck. Even if you don't like his recent work, his Flash run was fantastic. I could buy that he's maybe not as good a Wally writer as Messner-Loebs (who was a weaker Waid really), but he does have a decent handle on the character and his villains are easily the best. Rogues and Zoom, c'mon.

By the way having the scene of a man eith the Jay Garrick helmet beat his wife is some fuckery

That helmet is full of dark imagery now. Good lord if they want to do Jay they would have to use his atrocious New 52 look.

maxcriden

Yeah that's kind of dumb. Especially if "all serial killers on Earth-2 are so so so rare they're super high-profile and we have pictures of them and everything and our technology is so advanced." I mean even in Dexter S8 they aged a baby photo to look like what an adult might look like
I'm being facetious here but we can already sort of do shit like that and I really doubt no one would scrutinize the shit out of a man with literal superpowers who exposes his face for all to see.

Also honestly they didn't say Hunter Zolomon's father was dead so man in the mask might as well be his father. Also a war vet so he probably knows that tap code, etc. That's my educated guess. It's better than it's Earth N+1's Jay Garrick, who is the real Jay Garrick.

I think that makes a lot of sense, but given that Jay is all "you'd never believe the shocking person under this mask," I'm not sure that would be internally consistent because I don't know why that would be so shocking to Barry. But the show isn't always internally consistent so this doesn't necessarily rule out your (excellent) theory.

The Light

The time remnant thing just seems like an ass pull by the writers really. Unlike with Eobard I don't think it was ever stated or shown that zoom knew about time travel before.

I guess we are just supposed to accept it since both Barry and Eobard can do it.

Asbel

Guyz, let me explain.

Future Zoom kills past Zoom.
This would cause future Zoom to no longer exist.
If future Zoom doesn't exist, he can't kill past Zoom.
If past Zoom isn't dead, he grows to be future Zoom.
Who then kills past Zoom..
This causes a paradox where any combination of past Zoom being dead or alive and future Zoom existing or not, to be possible. Allowing future Zoom to still exist even though past Zoom is dead.

Magwik

Banned
Stop at paradox.
Nope nope nope nope I don't want this thread to turn into discussing paradoxes and time travel.
We need to learn to just accept it like everyone who watches Doctor Who does.

Nafai1123

Banned
Guyz, let me explain.

Future Zoom kills past Zoom.
This would cause future Zoom to no longer exist.
If future Zoom doesn't exist, he can't kill past Zoom.
If past Zoom isn't dead, he grows to be future Zoom.
Who then kills past Zoom..
This causes a paradox where any combination of past Zoom being dead or alive and future Zoom existing or not, to be possible. Allowing future Zoom to still exist even though past Zoom is dead.

Schrodinger Zoom

A bit off topic but I wasn't sure if I should make a new thread for it.

Did anyone catch Containment?

Just watched it and I really enjoyed it! Absolutely scared the shit out of me too as that sort of thing is a major fear of mine. Looks like it's only gonna be 6 episodes long too.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Watched the ep, not sure why Barry pressured Cisco to open the breach whne he was able to travel to another earth without issue (also the lack of mention of his adventures with Supergirl was kinda sad), and the ending was absolutely stupid.

Also, the man in the mask is totally 90s Flash.

the-cw.gif

I've watched the semi-enjoyable Reaper burn away.
"Semi"?
Reaper was excellent until its end, and had plenty of potential... Damned CW for taking it from us way to soon ;_;

A bit off topic but I wasn't sure if I should make a new thread for it.

Did anyone catch Containment?

Just watched it and I really enjoyed it! Absolutely scared the shit out of me too as that sort of thing is a major fear of mine. Looks like it's only gonna be 6 episodes long too.

Yes, I brought it up but nobody responded. It's aight. I liked how one of the characters actually said Zombie Apocalypse lol.

Back on topic..... Please don't go with N52 Jay Garrick visually.

Gah, what a mess of an episode. There's so many points in the episode in which you just want to yell at team flash for being complete morons. Plus, Zoom loses all of his menacing nature once he takes off that mask. Couldn't be more night and day.

My biggest question is, where did Team Flash get high res card board cut outs of Zoom's parents? THOSE AREN'T THINGS THAT EXIST FOR MOST PEOPLE.

Episode had some pretty bad moments, but the show still has a crazy steep decline to go down before it ever reaches Arrow-levels of badness.

Bluth54

My biggest question is, where did Team Flash get high res card board cut outs of Zoom's parents? THOSE AREN'T THINGS THAT EXIST FOR MOST PEOPLE.

Obviously Flash went back in time to take high res pictures of Zoom's parents so they could make the card board cut outs, they just didn't have time to show it in the episode.

Joni

I can't shake the impression that the decision to turn Jay into Zoom didn't happen until halfway through the season. Everything that happened before the break requires them to be different people.

Earth-2 Wikipedia must be killer. Yeah there is no way that makes sense.

Okay, next issue. Assuming he's only an Earth-2 guy, he'd have to be an entirely new face. So why did Zolomon ever target him or even know he had speed (assuming he was a speedster)? Was he a hero? And if he was, why did no one notice him vanish?
Jay Garrick, twin of Hunter Zolomon? We will have to do a lot of handwaving for now.

Corpekata

Banned
Man they had a 3 minute session where they just sit down and explain shit to the audience and this episode was till full of plot holes and weird ass logic.

They should've kept dead Jay as like a "time remnant" that Zolomon maybe tricked or something rather than being totally down with the plan and willing to die, would've made his story a bit tragic. Could have used the flashback framing device to set it up rather than just telling us the story and dropping it.

Teddy Sears I liked fine as the sort of stiff old fashioned good guy, but he's not doing well as a villain. They should just give him permanent Tony Todd voice, it helps a lot.

Joni

Man they had a 3 minute session where they just sit down and explain shit to the audience and this episode was till full of plot holes and weird ass logic.

They should've kept dead Jay as like a "time remnant" that Zolomon maybe tricked or something rather than being totally down with the plan and willing to die, would've made his story a bit tragic. Could have used the flashback framing device to set it up rather than just telling us the story and dropping it.

The episode really strengthened my "Show, don't tell" complaint. They keep telling us stuff instead of showing it.

The theory of the man in the mask being Jay is contradicted by Caitlin saying earlier in the season that she couldn't find evidence of a man named Jay Garrick ever existing on Earth-1. Unless Zolomon kidnapped and erased him from every database known to man.

Maybe this isn't Zoom's first rodeo. He went to another Earth, found his doppleganger was a hero, and drained his speed.

But it wasn't enough. He used Earth 3 Jay as inspiration for his Flash persona while keeping the real Jay locked up while he went after Barry for more speed.

Zoom had a guy who could open breaches.

DeathyBoy

Banned
What

His Wally run was great

Sure if you dumb down Return of Barry Allen like that and remove all context, then they're totally the same and Waid is totally a hypocrite

The point I was making was that Waid did something similar, and if you'd said to him 'this story sucks I'm out' he'd have told you to wait until it actually ended before forming an absolute opinion.

Watched the ep, not sure why Barry pressured Cisco to open the breach whne he was able to travel to another earth without issue (also the lack of mention of his adventures with Supergirl was kinda sad), and the ending was absolutely stupid.

Also, the man in the mask is totally 90s Flash.

"Semi"?
Reaper was excellent until its end, and had plenty of potential... Damned CW for taking it from us way to soon ;_;

Reaper's biggest problem was that it didn't have a significant love triangle for teen girls to sink their teeth into. If it had more potential ships we'd be talking about how it should've ended three or four seasons ago.

Sock's "sister" was hot
and he thought so too, actually that was total shipper fulfillment, I guess at least they didn't grow up together
. It was surprising that the actress who played her was already in her mid-30s. She also sued IMDB for posting her age on her bio and either they or people stopped updating her profile on there or she hasn't acted since.

Volimar

Reaper's biggest problem was that it didn't have a significant love triangle for teen girls to sink their teeth into. If it had more potential ships we'd be talking about how it should've ended three or four seasons ago.

Sock's "sister" was hot
and he thought so too, actually that was total shipper fulfillment, I guess at least they didn't grow up together
. It was surprising that the actress who played her was already in her mid-30s. She also sued IMDB for posting her age on her bio and either they or people stopped updating her profile on there or she hasn't acted since.

It did cement my love for Missy Peregrym though.

Sandfox

I was wondering how Teddy Sears was going to play this episode and it was interesting. I didn't really expect that from him.

I was wondering how Teddy Sears was going to play this episode and it was interesting. I didn't really expect that from him.

I believe he plays alot of villains in movies and tv shows? I know for a fact that he played a villain in a movie that I brought up in the other OT. So he has experience in being a villain.

Jay has come to? Is that what you want NTGYK?!

I believe he plays alot of villains in movies and tv shows? I know for a fact that he played a villain in a movie that I brought up in the other OT. So he has experience in being a villain.

Jay has come to? Is that what you want NTGYK?!

It's finally coming to fruition...

The-flash-Jay-Garrick-is-Zoom.jpg

Now do you remember? Who you are? What you were meant to do? I cheated death, thanks to you. And thanks to you, I've left my mark. You have too. You've written your own history. You're your own man. I'm The Flash, and you are too. No... he's the two of us together. Where we are today, we built it. This story, this legend; it's ours. We can change the world, and with it, the future. I am you, and you are me. Carry that with you wherever you go. Thank you, my friend. From here on out... you're The Flash.

SearsMarquee_561c5dcb7d4570.03556769.jpg

Or even better

The-flash-Jay-Garrick-is-Zoom.jpg

Now do you remember? Who you are? What you were meant to do? I cheated death, thanks to you. And thanks to you, I've left my mark. You have too. You've written your own history. You're your own man. I'm Zoom, and you are too. No... he's the two of us together. Where we are today, we built it. This story, this legend; it's ours. We can change the world, and with it, the future. I am you, and you are me. Carry that with you wherever you go. Thank you, my friend. From here on out... you're Zoom.

The-Flash-TV-Hunter-Zolomon-Jay-Garrick.jpg

Sandfox

I joked in the last thread the Zoom was going to end up being Dan Didio and the masked man would be Wally so this would actually be close enough in my books.

Dysun

Season 2 has had a few clunkers, and yesterday was really mediocre. Disappointing all around after the stellar Season 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom