• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S2 |OT2| Jays of Future Past - Tuesdays 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find myself enjoying the cringeworthy lines in this show a lot more as well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The ones in this show are bad but good whereas I feel like Arrow is just bad, mostly. Like Supernatural Seasons 6 to 12 bad.

Kyoufu

I find myself enjoying the cringeworthy lines in this show a lot more as well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The ones in this show are bad but good whereas I feel like Arrow is just bad, mostly.

Like I said numerous times before; The Flash: Even when it's bad it's still good. Can't say that about Arrow anymore.

Mario007

Well, let's see. I enjoy watching Zoom/Hunter Zolomon on screen being the comic book villain that he is.

I don't enjoy watching Felicity cry about being in love and suddenly being cured of paralysis during a break-up.

And if we're really going down the "cringeworthy lines" in Arrowverse road then guess what buddy, there would be a long, long list of them. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy them.

Edit: Why am I defending my stance on why Arrow is a shitshow? It's common knowledge. Not even Kevin Smith watches that shit.

Like I said numerous times before; The Flash: Even when it's bad it's still good. Can't say that about Arrow anymore.
I had a long response written up for you but it got deleted so I'll just follown the following advice:
Ignore 'em, it's a pattern.

Magwik

Banned
People take different attitudes toward both shows because both shows hold themselves differently. Flash has always been more whimsical and cheese, and its what sold us all in the first place. Meanwhile with Arrow we were sold on the more grounded story they present.

Kyoufu

People take different attitudes toward both shows because both shows hold themselves differently. Flash has always been more whimsical and cheese, and its what sold us all in the first place. Meanwhile with Arrow we were sold on the more grounded story they present.

This is true.

Also, I didn't mention that I do enjoy Arrow's villains in all seasons so far. It's the writing for the sidekicks that has been questionable (Felicity, Laurel in previous seasons and Malcolm Merlyn).

As far as Darhk goes, he could say "You can't lock up the darkness" and I'd probably enjoy it much the same as when Zolomon said it. Arrowverse villains are fun cheese.

I can only think of three,
Sara on the island, Sara by Thea and Laurel by Darhk, what's the forth?

1. Sarah, on the sinking of the Queen's Gambit
2. Sarah, in the final battle against Slade on Lian Yu
3. Sarah, on the rooftop by drugged up Thea's Arrow
4. Laurel, in the prison by Damien Dahrk

As I mentioned in the Arrow thread: By the end of the 19th episode (I didn't watch it so I'm basing it off heresay) we don't know Damien Darhk's motivations or what his plans are. That's a piss poor villain IMHO.

Even with basic desires like "gotta go fast" and "I measure my success by how many victims I have" the flash team have made Zoom more interesting. Or at least they've made his integration into the season more complete when compared with Arrow and Damien Darhk.

And Jason Mewes got a role on The Flash just so he could visit Arrow.

I'm pretty sure he adores The Flash and got Kevin Smith into watching it before the latter managed to get a role for him.

Xemnas89

As I mentioned in the Arrow thread: By the end of the 19th episode (I didn't watch it so I'm basing it off heresay) we don't know Damien Darhk's motivations or what his plans are. That's a piss poor villain IMHO.

Even with basic desires like "gotta go fast" and "I measure my success by how many victims I have" the flash team have made Zoom more interesting. Or at least they've made his integration into the season more complete when compared with Arrow and Damien Darhk.

I'm pretty sure he adores The Flash and got Kevin Smith into watching it before the latter managed to get a role for him.

Well you have to remember that for the majority of the season Zooms motivation was he needed the Barry's speed because he was dying and needed a cure. Now that he's cured his insanity is leading him.

Funny. Kevin Smith's podcasts (plural) is literally where I got that information from.

Yep basically they told kevin they had a role for Mewes if he was interested and so Kevin offered it to him and he cried because it was his dream to not only be in a superhero show but a CW show.

DeathyBoy

Banned
In which case you know how nuts Mewes is about Arrow and that he was already happy just to visit Arrow before the writers - not Smith - gave him a role.

That and now Smoth has an in to direct the other CW shows, and maybe Supergirk. So Mewes might wind up cameoing on all four

Xemnas89

In which case you know how nuts Mewes is about Arrow and that he was already happy just to visit Arrow before the writers - not Smith - gave him a role.

I thought it was funny when he said Mewes wanted to do all the CW shows as the same character before he even read the part.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah Mewes was going to come with Kev even if he didn't have a role just to see the sets, but the writers were the ones who offered the cameo.
The first cameo, not the second ;)

Kev has never had interest in Arrow, I know he was a little sad when Guggenheim shunned him but I just think he has an odd relationship with Green Arrow overall. I suspect he'll stick to Flash and maybe Legends because he loves his boy Routh.

KonradLaw

Yeah Mewes was going to come with Kev even if he didn't have a role just to see the sets, but the writers were the ones who offered the cameo.
The first cameo, not the second ;)

Kev has never had interest in Arrow, I know he was a little sad when Guggenheim shunned him but I just think he has an odd relationship with Green Arrow overall. I suspect he'll stick to Flash and maybe Legends because he loves his boy Routh.

It's weird, considering he wrote the comics. Smith's Green Arrow run wasn't even bad. Not great, but compared to how bad most of GA's runs in the last two decades have been, Smith did pretty damn fine. Especially in the humor departement (no surprise)
tumblr_mbe2jt5bxc1r0np08o1_400.png

Joni

See, and then people claim the show doesn't follow the comics. Oliver has been giving his Batman impression four years now.

DeathyBoy

Banned
See, and then people claim the show doesn't follow the comics. Oliver has been giving his Batman impression four years now.

Such a weird complaint given the character (Arrow Car, Arrow Cave, sidekick, rich guy fighting crime) was clearly inspired by, eerily similar to Batman from the start. They didn't go the Robin Hood angle for a long time after he'd been established.

Mario007

It's weird, considering he wrote the comics. Smith's Green Arrow run wasn't even bad. Not great, but compared to how bad most of GA's runs in the last two decades have been, Smith did pretty damn fine. Especially in the humor departement (no surprise)
tumblr_mbe2jt5bxc1r0np08o1_400.png

The thing about Smith's runs is the same as most GA runs - they don't establish mythology at all. That didn't really happen until Lemire

Johndoey

Banned
It's not an odd complaint most people would know the character from the JLU cartoon so they'd expect that characterization. Besides GA was more popular after shifting away from low rent Batman.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
BTW, saw a quote from Kevin on his Facebook or Instagram or whatever that said "See you this summer" or "See you later this summer" to the cast/producers of Flash. Sounded like it was a clue that he was coming back to direct another episode?

Nabs

BTW, saw a quote from Kevin on his Facebook or Instagram or whatever that said "See you this summer" or "See you later this summer" to the cast/producers of Flash. Sounded like it was a clue that he was coming back to direct another episode?

Yeah, it looks like he's directing some more next season.

ZeroX03

Banned

The way he talked about the gig makes it sound like he's got an open invitation to direct future instalments.

Maybe he's taking over the Arrowverse? He'll get rid of Guggy and co???

If you're still pissed about Arrow, that means Berlanti getting the boot too.

Xemnas89

I feel like Kevin Smith will end up directing a Trickster episode at some point. I'm betting Mark Hamill would love to work with Kevin again. I could actually see Kevin directing a few episodes of the flash next season.

Well, he did ruin Jay/Zoom...

Nah Zoom is fine. We'll have to see when it comes to Jay.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
I feel like Kevin Smith will end up directing a Trickster episode at some point. I'm betting Mark Hamill would love to work with Kevin again. I could actually see Kevin directing a few episodes of the flash next season.

In season three Barry Allen faces his most dangerous foe, Cockpuncher!!!

ZeroX03

Banned
Zoom is just crazy without Neal McDonough's charisma to pull it off. Just have Tony Todd's disembodied voice take control of the Zoom suit, that's much scarier than Teddy Sears.

Hamill is probably tied up with Star Wars filming. Not sure how long that is set to go for. Should be free by the end of the year.

Xemnas89

Zoom is just crazy without Neal McDonough's charisma to pull it off. Just have Tony Todd's disembodied voice take control of the Zoom suit, that's much scarier than Teddy Sears.

Hamill is probably tied up with Star Wars filming. Not sure how long that is set to go for. Should be free by the end of the year.

I actually like how Teddy Sears has played it these last two episodes but you don't need him to have Zoom. Even now I'm pretty sure the stuntman is Zoom when he has the mask on. Then just get the Tony Todd voice over and then you have Zoom with no Teddy like we already have most of the season. If they ever wanted to do a one off Zoom episode in a future season it would be so easy because Tony loves voicing Zoom so I'm sure he'd come back in a heartbeat.

KonradLaw

The thing about Smith's runs is the same as most GA runs - they don't establish mythology at all. That didn't really happen until Lemire

Yeah. Unfortunatelly even Lemire succumbed to the problem is most GA runs, which is introducing good ideas and then never doing anything with them. Same thing with the magical forest growing in the middle of Star City. Jesus that was such an amazing set up and it was completely wasted.

Lemire's run was just cut too short. If he would last for 36-50 issues it would go down the history as one of the very best superhero runs in history of the medium. But at barely a third of that it ended up just a great tease.

Red Hood

Banned
This is another good one. The music combined with Zoom swooping in and deliberately missing Wells, toying with him. It's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgSnARHU3P0

I fucking love Zoom and I don't care who puts me on ignore because of it. He's fun as hell.

You'll have a hard time finding people who don't like Zoom.

As for me, I don't like how the writers handled the reveal, and that's me being very mild. Having Zoom take his mask off made him infinitely less menacing and terrifying. Making him turn out to be Jay - and not even a doppelgänger or something, but actually Jay - was an incredibly dumb and frankly way too expected move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom