• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S3 |OT| It was me, Barry.

strafer

I just watched it.

Why does Savitar suddenly look so fat and where did all the shine go?

And I don't like how it's just a suit, I thought he was half man half machine like Cyborg.

Patryn

That wasn't really the story they told, though. Future Barry was so upset that Iris was killed by Savitar that he not only actively obfuscated his own investigation, but also went on to become Savitar? Future Barry was so shook he couldn't tell himself that he was Savitar, even though he should remember he figured it out the very next day anyway?

Plus the whole arc of the future episode was redemptive. Future Barry was sketchy, but the episode didn't end in a place where Future Barry came off as purposefully becoming Savitar.

I think he was so shaken by the idea that he could kill Iris, and felt so certain that there was nothing Barry could do to change things that he didn't want to crush young Barry's hope.

I don't think that future Barry wanted to become Savitar, I think he was just moping because he felt like a danger to all his friends and disengaging from the world so he wouldn't become Savitar (which is probably what the show will say was part of what made him become Savitar...)

I do agree with everyone that having a story where Barry is trying to stop becoming Savitar is more interesting than this whole Save Iris thing. Especially if they threw in a few "By trying to not become Savitar, Barry actually becomes closer to being Savitar."

Hell, after a couple of those, you could have Barry try to not do anything and have that push him further along the path or whatever. They could have brought in the Reverse Flash for an episode where they talk about the dooming expectations of inevitability.

sirap

I just watched it.

Why does Savitar suddenly look so fat and where did all the shine go?

And I don't like how it's just a suit, I thought he was half man half machine like Cyborg.

They had to design the suit to fit a tall actor, hence fat Savitar. It's also made out of foam/latex or some other lightweight material, hence the lack of shine.

CG Savitar still got that slim trim and chrome.

I wish they went with this suit but I have a strong feeling Savitar was meant to be someone else when they first wrote this season. There's just too many inconsistencies between the first half of S3 and now.

the-futureblue-flash-in-dcs-the-flash-comics.jpeg

Billfisto

I wonder if the whole reason they're cludging Killer Frost into this season is simply so Team Flash can talk her down and back to Caitlin, and then they go "if we can do it for Caitlin we can do it for Savitar!"

... then Cisco hides in the rafters and Barry says nice things about Savitar, I guess.

ZeroX03

Banned
I wish they went with this suit but I have a strong feeling Savitar was meant to be someone else when they first wrote this season. There's just too many inconsistencies between the first half of S3 and now.

Not according to Kreisberg.

“What’s really cool for anyone who thought that there wasn’t a plan, or we didn’t know, or we were making this up as we go, this was always where we were heading,” Kreisberg says. “The idea that the darkest villain we could come up with was actually a very damaged version of our hero was interesting and fresh to us. We’re not only competing with all the stuff that we’ve done on Flash, but we’re always competing with everything we’ve done on all the other shows. So to have our lead actor be both the hero and the villain isn’t something we’ve done before, so that was exciting for us as storytellers.”

http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/02/flash-savitar-identity-barry-allen/

Rymuth

Boring episode~

Buuuut

I gotta give 'em props for Savitar's theme transitioning into Barry's theme. That stuff was great.

Vengal

We would get an explanation but since he is supposed to be the "first" and is infamous enough for Jay to know of him it means he has done a lot of time travel to the past, doing what we don't know except gather a cult for "reasons". Though why he screws around in the past before creating himself is a mystery because he seems to be doing it to create himself though why he takes so long enough that he is infamous among speedsters is weird

There isn't really an explanation I can think of that will work here but time travel is always messy. If this is Barry from this universe in the future all he has to do to save Iris is exactly what Eddie did. Savitar should know this and it's crazy to even risk that outcome. Barry has jumped on front of things that should have hurt or killed him alot so it's not out of character for him to be a martyr.

I just want reverse flash to come back and have savitar as the reason he hates Barry or something.

tci

Ffs, the killer frost/Vibe/Flash fight was such a waste of time and money. Where did Vibe go when Flash took the hit? Did he just magically teleport? This is not even laughable bad, it is just terrible. And when has any of Vibe's attack killed anyone. My head is just hurting of this stupid show atm. After this season I am done, time to bail.

Dispatch

Billfisto

If this is Barry from this universe in the future all he has to do to save Iris is exactly what Eddie did. Savitar should know this and it's crazy to even risk that outcome.

Are you saying Barry can identify obvious risks, or not foolishly go ahead with a plan without even briefly considering the ramifications of it?

Because that doesn't sound like the Barry I know. :p

Regginator

So they actually went with future Barry, ahahahahahahah this is just too much, I was literally crying of laughter during the """plot twist reveal""". The way they brought it like "WOWOWOW so unexpected!!1!", that was perfect. They need to fire every single writer they have, or at the very least make a Flash comedy show because this is just hilarious ahahaha

sirap

Good point.

Another thing to consider is how the writers c̶h̶a̶n̶g̶e̶d̶ fucked up the way time works in this universe (at least in the way it affects speedsters). Changes aren't immediate and time isn't as "sticky" as it used to be in Season 1. Killing his present self might erase the (original) pre-Speedforce prison Savitar that exists in the far off future, but the future, post Speedforce trapped Savitar (the one that exists in the current timeline) might still be around.

Legends also added a lot of unnecessary bullshit to time-travel. It's basically a clusterfuck right now.

Penguin

So what are the working theories here?

Is he Future Flash corrupted?
Flashpoint Flash trying to get back to his world?
A time remnant that was damaged?
Or some version of Barry that was corrupted by continuous usage of the Speed Force?

Tamanon

Banned
Zoom being future Barry would've been better IMO, but I think they hadn't had enough story yet to really play the card right.

caliph95

Or some version of Barry that was corrupted by continuous usage of the Speed Force?
They said Irish death made him darker than ever at least according to Abra so it seems is the future flash corrupted imo
Can't be the SpeedForce because it seems to want Barry to stop screwing around and just be a hero
Flashpoint him has no powers

strafer

So looking back we should have seen this coming since Savitar said earlier, I'm the Future Flash, I always thought he meant he was the future.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

Barry realises the only way to become fast enough to save Iris is to train inside the Speedforce.
So he becomes so fast but because of this he burns himself (explaining the burns on his face).
So he gets the new Dr. to make him the Savitar suit.
Becomes Savitar to defeat Savitar.
Realises without Savitar he can't become fast enough to save Iris so creates plans which set in motion the start of this season.
Casual loop.
The Flash ends.

NeonBlack

We're doing the Cole MacGrath storyline aren't we?

Villain comes along that knows all.

Takes best friend to his side.

Threatens life of his one true love.

Turns out he was preparing him for a bigger stronger enemy.

sirap

So looking back we should have seen this coming since Savitar said earlier, I'm the Future Flash, I always thought he meant he was the future.

Yes, the "I am the Future (,?) Flash" line was the most obvious clue.

But a lot of us didn't put too much credence into that line because it was so stupid and on the nose to be anything but a red-herring.

Apparently we gave the writers too much credit lol.

Billfisto

Basically has to be "our" Flash's future from some point after the warehouse hostage exchange due to his exact knowledge of what happened there.

Unless a Speed Clone Flash was hiding in the rafters as well, I guess.

Or it could still be Cecile and she has Reverse Flash's face-o-matic and she set it to "scarred Barry".

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Yes, the "I am the Future (,?) Flash" line was the most obvious clue.

But a lot of us didn't put too much credence into that line because it was so stupid and on the nose to be anything but a red-herring.

Apparently we gave the writers too much credit lol.

With a reveal this late in the game, what would have been a smarter choice for Savitar?

Genuinely asking as I don't have a problem with it being Barry, personally.

Tamanon

Banned

Well......it kinda was a Flash story before Infamous :p

caliph95

Ill say it again so Eddie is the Beast this time the Beast is Cobalt Blue

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Eddie Thawne or Ronnie.

I've mentioned this before: either of those would just be fan service and wouldn't​ offer the introspection or character development of it at least being Barry.

Eddie or Ronnie would just be, "Oh shit, look what that paradox portal from S1 did to them. Shame."

Tamanon

Banned
I mean, I don't see how it could've been Eddie without completely destroying the character. He was a normal man that did a heroic sacrifice.

Caelus

Eddie Thawne or Ronnie.

I'd rather Eddie come back as a proper Cobalt Blue since they sort of teased at that in the season one finale (cobalt resin, Thawne family heirloom).

Having it be Ronnie... eh. I honestly like Savitar as Barry, I just don't think the season flowed very well for the reveal to be as satisfying.

jwk94

Guys, he's a time remnant from when Barry was trying to kill Savitar after Iris death and him abandoning everyone. Savitar didn't kill them all which is why he has that scar. This Barry turned evil because he didn't have anyone anymore. Future Barry probably doesn't even know he's alive which is why Future Barry doesn't know Savitar's identity.

I've mentioned this before: either of those would just be fan service and wouldn't​ offer the introspection or character development of it at least being Barry.

Eddie or Ronnie would just be, "Oh shit, look what that paradox portal from S1 did to them. Shame."

Ok but this reveal is redundant. We've had Barry do introspection with both Reverse Flash and Zoom as they were both twisted versions of the Flash. Having it be "dark, future Barry" is way dumber than either Eddie or Ronnie.

Billfisto

Guys, he's a time remnant from when Barry was trying to kill Savitar after Iris death and him abandoning everyone. Savitar didn't kill them all which is why he has that scar. This Barry turned evil because he didn't have anyone anymore. Future Barry probably doesn't even know he's alive which is why Future Barry doesn't know Savitar's identity.

Why would he not have anyone anymore? He's still Barry. If Wig Barry wanted to be a big shut-in mope that leaves a perfect spot open for some other Barry to fill.

Top Bottom