• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S3 |OT| It was me, Barry.

oti

Banned
Supergirl's episode was focused on her mid-season finale.

They only show one cross-over related scene in the show, and the scene is replayed during The Flash's episode.

Supergirl, flash, Arrow, legends of tomorrow.

But supergirl's episode you can skip for this one.

Flash ep is the right place to start. Has the SG crossover material and does catch up on the other shows.

Thank you! Ok then. I'm ready.

Asbel

Mostly what's directly missing is the A to B link. Flashpoint correction > Dante's dead.

It's the same problem I have with blaming Killer Frost on Barry. Given the months in-between, there's nothing to say that Dante wouldn't have died in a car accident in the original timeline. Or Caitlin's powers wouldn't have manifested themselves otherwise.

Essentially, my issue is the Flashpoint/non-Flashpoint changes seem arbitrary and unrelated to the specific pain point of Barry's mother. No one's stopped an asked: "How does Barry's mom being alive against change all of this?"

In the comics, those changes weren't because of Barry's specific actions - like Flash and Batman initially think - but because of Reverse-Flash purposefully moving through time and changing things. I assume that's the case here or perhaps they'll play that side of the story out with Savitar, because otherwise the timeline has changed... "Because".

Plus, Oliver is absolutely right. Every one would've done the same goddamn thing. Cisco literally said as much earlier in the season. Sara only stopped because everyone else was pushing her back from that path.

I thought Barry came back from Flashpoint at the same moment in time he left, not months later (even though he spent months in flashpoint)? Barry disappeared months from work? It's weird enough the Barry that worked with a csi partner for a year is completely gone and replaced with the Barry who didn't know he had a partner at work.

ZeroX03

Banned
I thought Barry came back from Flashpoint at the same moment in time he left, not months later (even though he spent months in flashpoint)? Barry disappeared months from work? It's weird enough the Barry that worked with a csi partner for a year is completely gone and replaced with the Barry who didn't know he had a partner at work.

No, he spent three months in Flashpoint, then returned to the new/old timeline three months after the S2 finale. Time passed equally. He still lived his life in the post-Flashpoint timeline, he just doesn't remember it.

Sephzilla

Finally Barry gets called out for his shit... but then Oliver of all people tells him that it's okay.

Barry better not fucking time travel again unless it's to stop someone who time traveled.

Meanwhile Cisco nearly ruined the team by bringing it up at literally the worst possible time.

Trojan X

Banned
All I want for Christmas is non emo-Cisco back.

Heh, this Cisco really burns barry to the core. So painful to watch sometimes, Barry really wants to stay with Cisco but Cisco remaining bitterly cold and only sticking around out of duty. Great character building stuff. I just hope that when he finally see that Cisco has burnt Barry enough the emotions really starts crashing in causing Cisco to forgive/pardon and become close to Barry again. Bros gotta stick together.

Basically, the few months he lived in Flashpoint? That still happened in this new timeline, he just doesn't remember it. Dante died during that period and Caitlin's powers manifested.

Julian and Diggle's kid are the only outright changes that happened prior to that missing period of months.

Sephzilla

Felicity and Ragman weren't close friends.

I still think their situation was worse off than Cisco and Barry.

Someone needs to get into Cisco's face and tell him Barry didn't deliberately murder his brother and there was no way Barry would know that would even happen. Barry also seems to be overlooking the whole possibility that Reverse Flash most likely fucked with things before returning Barry from Flashpoint

Patryn

Someone needs to get into Cisco's face and tell him Barry didn't deliberately murder his brother and there was no way Barry would know that would even happen. Barry also seems to be overlooking the whole possibility that Reverse Flash most likely fucked with things before returning Barry from Flashpoint

Possibility? As I recall Thawne outright taunted Barry by saying things would be different.

jb1234

I'm personally enjoying people making it very clear to Barry that he fucked up, big time. That said, I'm sure those two are going to make up soon. There's only so long the writers can drag this out for.

ZeroX03

Banned
No he went back right where he left.

Oh right yeah Joe and Wally were wearing the same clothes.

...but Arrow and Legends are forward a bit in time and Flash caught up to those despite no indication of time jumps forward and going into the mid season finale it'll be December in those shows again.

Oh right yeah Joe and Wally were wearing the same clothes.

...but Arrow and Legends are forward a bit in time and Flash caught up to those despite no indication of time jumps forward and going into the mid season finale it'll be December in those shows again.

Yeah....I try not to think about all that lol.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Ok this was all i hoped for - 2016 not the worst year confirmed. Cant wait for the 2 other episodes.

cereal_killerxx

That episode gave me Avengers vibes. It was excellent. Super girl is fantastic when she's not on her own show. And the battle between her and Barry was jaw dropping. The special effects were nearly movie quality. I'm amazed at what they can achieve today on television.

You think the Legend's will tell Barry about their dealings with
Eobard/Reverse Flash?
You would think that would be the first thing they mention. Hopefully they bring it up in the Legend's part of the cross-over.

Kimawolf

Oh sorry didnt realize that. I bet the batman solo film will try to be dark and nolan-like, when it should be more like the batman animated series.

I wish supergirl was this powerful on her own show.

thats my problem with Supergirl's show now lol. Flash made me see they don't treat her right at all on her show.

Sephzilla

You think the Legend's will tell Barry about their dealings with
Eobard/Reverse Flash?
You would think that would be the first thing they mention. Hopefully they bring it up in the Legend's part of the cross-over.

If Barry did know I don't think there's much he could do since it's already been established that he can't really go back and fuck with past Thawne because it causes issues with the present.

Oh, on that note. How come the Waverider apparently never picked up on the changes caused by Flashpoint?

Toa TAK

Banned
Yeah... I think I'm done watching Super girl aside from the crossovers. She's waaaay too weak. I also don't really care for the Alex suddenly lesbian subplot.
Eeeehhh. I'm still going to keep with it. But I just finished the first season of The Flash and it's absolutely enthralling all the way through, then I look at Supergirl and I'm like "wat".
Supergirl in this was amazing.

It could've easily have been brainwashed Supergirl vs everyone else and she still would've wrecked. She kicked ass in this episode.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
It could've easily have been brainwashed Supergirl vs everyone else and she still would've wrecked. She kicked ass in this episode.

Everybody was just completely outclassed. Nobody could touch her. She gave no fucks about any attack the whole time. It was great!

Kimawolf

Yeah good question.

Why DIDN'T the Waverider pick up the super time fuckery Barry caused? you'd think the Legends would have been there like "nope Barry, no can do."

All I want for Christmas is non emo-Cisco back.

Next week's episode sounds pretty emo - Cisco driven.

Yeah good question.

Why DIDN'T the Waverider pick up the super time fuckery Barry caused? you'd think the Legends would have been there like "nope Barry, no can do."

It doesn't pick up every change to the timeline. Just the ones significant enough to mess up history.

Dante, Baby Sara, and Caitlin just don't matter to history.

Sephzilla

I'm pretty sure Iris knew that Barry was friends with the Green Arrow but I don't think she knew he was Oliver Queen.

Oh - by the way - are they still trying to play up the whole idea that The Hood and Green Arrow were two people?

WedgeX

Banned
I'm pretty sure Iris knew that Barry was friends with the Green Arrow but I don't think she knew he was Oliver Queen.

Oh - by the way - are they still trying to play up the whole idea that The Hood and Green Arrow were two people?

The new arrow team had no idea, but Ollie set them straight. As he does these days.

GulAtiCa

That and I think been said Speedsters go through time like a knife through butter. The things like Time Pirates and them are like a sledge hammer to time. So I think it's more likely that it's easier to pick up the more shock changes then the smooth changes.

That and keep in mind, the Time Council is gone. so they are all alone and their resources are limited and not as great to detect changes.

Sephzilla

The new arrow team had no idea, but Ollie set them straight. As he does these days.

Like, how anyone that stupid?

Star City has a vigilante called The Hood/Arrow who dresses in a green hood, is a white guy with stubble, and shoots arrows. Not long after he's gone, a new white guy with stubble who wears a green hood and shoots arrows shows up and does all of the exact same shit as the old guy.

Star City must be populated with Barry Allen time fragments.

GulAtiCa

Like, how anyone that stupid?

Star City has a vigilante called The Hood/Arrow who dresses in a green hood, is a white guy with stubble, and shoots arrows. Not long after he's gone, a new white guy with stubble who wears a green hood and shoots arrows shows up and does all of the exact same shit as the old guy.

Star City must be populated with Barry Allen time fragments.

lol. To be fair, in season 3 The Hood/Arrow was unmasked as mr flip master "Roy Harper". so on the news it was revealed he and not Oliver was the Arrow/etc.

At least not as bad as Supergirl/Superman world where wearing glasses is your "disguise" lol

ZeroX03

Banned
That and I think been said Speedsters go through time like a knife through butter. The things like Time Pirates and them are like a sledge hammer to time. So I think it's more likely that it's easier to pick up the more shock changes then the smooth changes.

That and keep in mind, the Time Council is gone. so they are all alone and their resources are limited and not as great to detect changes.

But speedsters have time wraiths keeping them in check because the story demanded it I guess.

The Legends seem to have the safest method of time travel, but they're purposely traveling to points in time to fix issues before they set rather than change anything.

In the comics, those changes weren't because of Barry's specific actions - like Flash and Batman initially think - but because of Reverse-Flash purposefully moving through time and changing things. I assume that's the case here or perhaps they'll play that side of the story out with Savitar, because otherwise the timeline has changed... "Because".
Huh? In Flashpoint, just the act of moving through time because Barry used the entire speed force to chase after Thawne and stop him from killing his mom created shockwaves which made the alterations like the government finding the Kryptonian ship before the Kents, Bruce taking the bullets instead of his parents, etc. Thawne straight up tells him in issue 5 that Flashpoint was all on Barry being terrible time traveler without the treadmill.

Trojan X

Banned
If Barry did know I don't think there's much he could do since it's already been established that he can't really go back and fuck with past Thawne because it causes issues with the present.

Oh, on that note. How come the Waverider apparently never picked up on the changes caused by Flashpoint?

Because the.. i forgot the actual name... the time computer that snard sacrifice himself for is destroyed so the Waverider has lost all abilities to trace all time anomolies.

Shaanyboi

Banned

But when it went to the future last season, Diggle already had a son instead of Sara. So... Flashpoint maybe was "always meant to happen?"

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
But when it went to the future last season, Diggle already had a son instead of Sara. So... Flashpoint maybe was "always meant to happen?"

I wouldn't spend time over thinking it. The "rules" of time travel change in service to the plot, especially in Legends. Combine that with whatever Flash does from time to time, and trying to figure it out would be an exercise in frustration.

Basically, a wizard did it...

Effect

I would imagine because what Barry did ultimately didn't alter history as the characters know it. It likely was very localized to Barry and his immediate circle he came into contact and then he undid it for the most part fairly quickly. Then the aftermath was again seemingly limited to just people around Barry. So because it didn't change the fate of the country or world the way other stuff does in Legends it just likely didn't show up on their radar. Maybe didn't even get a chance to. Remember it takes a while before changes to flow through time to get to them and to be come permanent. So I guess those are the time travel excuses.

Also Legends has largely been caring about protecting the past. They aren't paying attention to the future the way Rip was. They likely can't because of the finale of season 1 of Legends. So they have to work with the info they have looking backward. For all they know the entire future has been screwed up and going by future Barry's message it likely is. So they haven't shown any interest in the future beyond their lives nor do they have a way to even view it if they had the interest.

This is ultimately why Rip Hunter is important and needs to come back. This is a huge blind spot for them as a team.

Sephzilla

I know Rip doesn't exactly have much purpose as a character right now but I miss him on Legends. His reactions to some of this shit would be gold.

Top Bottom