• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S3 |OT| It was me, Barry.

Dereck

badteamupehsrs.gif
throwingstars2g9sqa.gif

longtake9qsrm.gif
superfumblemjsoy.gif
Sick

tci

GTFO. Just see the impressions in this thread.
So you don't want a better show?

1. No one in this show actually learn/remembers anything. Just see their actions in regards of Jesse and Wally. Both got super power. With Jesse they understood that she will always be wanting to help people. And when Wally got his, they react with the same disbelief as with Jesse. Wally is the one really wanting to help people of them all now. Everyone should know that. But they go backwards on this all the time.

2. And the whole forced drama with them talking with a person about shit is so poorly handled. It's almost grown ups acting like teens. Keeping lies after lies from each others. Even after this have been done with repercussions for the entire show. They have learned nothing.

3. And each time Barry learns something or steps up. He is the same person as before the event in the next episode. At the season finale (3) he seemed to be at peace with everything. Finally he understand and we can move on. But no.... they fucks up the timeline for no good reason. It would have been ok if something terrible happened. But the way the show did it is so silly.

I understand you might not like some critique, but not wanting some better quality is very foolish if you ask me. What I want is a smart show that isn't scared of doing shit different. It is getting formulatic and my enjoyment of the show have fallen dramatically the last episodes.

Da-Kid

This episode sucked... and the whole no one wanting Wally to he a hero thing makes no sense, especially given we just went through this shit with Jesse for Christ sake.

Also, most of the episode really was people standing around talking, explaining shit that was already explained. The whole scene where the aliens emerged was just silly looking, and off. Felt really isolated.

Oliver: Call Lila tell her the Dominators are hostile.

As if she didn't know that from the video,and them kidnapping the president...

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
This episode sucked... and the whole no one wanting Wally to he a hero thing makes no sense, especially given we just went through this shit with Jesse for Christ sake.

Just gotta be weird for the sake of weird.

Though Wally seems to have a talent for nearly dying every time he tries.

Also, most of the episode really was people standing around talking, explaining shit that was already explained. The whole scene where the aliens emerged was just silly looking, and off. Felt really isolated.

Oliver: Call Lila tell her the Dominators are hostile.

Have you seen the rest of the current season?

Da-Kid

Just gotta be weird for the sake of weird.

Though Wally seems to have a talent for nearly dying every time he tries.
You could use that argument for why they're scared, but logic would quickly silence that.

Flashpoint Wally had no team to rely on, or try to make a game plan. He also had no training, or people to counsel him, so he was pretty much a blind bat walking into situations and figuring things out. All he had was Iris who had no resources to properly help him.

So this Wally has it way better than that one. But logic gets thrown out the CW shows often for the sake of drama.

Have you seen the rest of the current season?
I like it for the most part.

Joni

The video doesn't actually proof that they are agressive. It is implied humanity attacked them. Which is why they wanted to try a peaceful approach this time.

oti

Banned
Who are all those new Arrow people? Aw, who cares. Sara is in the episode. Good enough for me. 😍

oti

Banned
The newbies. Damn guy needs an army to protect the city.

Why is there another shirtless dude? Another tech dude? A religious dude? Why are their costumes garbage? Is this why people hate Arrow now?

But HELLOW Sara and Thea.
😍😍

Patryn

Why is there another shirtless dude? Another tech dude? A religious dude? Why are their costumes garbage? Is this why people hate Arrow now?

😍😍

Most people who are watching both think Arrow is much better than Flash this season.

I can't really disagree.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

😍😍

They are amateur vigilantes, so their costumes are Hooded Vigilante levels right now. Wait untill STAR Labs gives them an upgrade.

I can't believe I'm actually enjoying this and I'm gonna start watching supergirl now. The actress has kinda grown on me.

if I like the flash, arrow and to a little lesser extent, legends, will supergirl be enjoyable or is it really different in tone? I know season 1 was on a different network.

Joni

I can't believe I'm actually enjoying this and I'm gonna start watching supergirl now. The actress has kinda grown on me.

if I like the flash, arrow and to a little lesser extent, legends, will supergirl be enjoyable or is it really different in tone? I know season 1 was on a different network.

If Grant Gustin wore a skirt, The Flash would be basically Supergirl. THey are quite similar, they are happy superheroes with bubbly sidecharacters, awesome 'dad-mentor' character, and absolutely crazy stuff. It just took a bit longer to find the right tone and it had a stupid villain.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Supergirl is extremely similar to The Flash in tone and execution. I think that since Supergirl migrated networks it leans into the superhero aspects more wholeheartedly. It didn't shy away from them on CBS, but there were more elements that made it a little more varied. They really wanted the workplace stuff to jive in Season 1, now it's more about the DEO, the people who hunt aliens.

Sephzilla

OK, I just caught up with the episode..

I don't care that it was fan service. I. DON'T. CARE.

Because...

that Hall of Justice is giving me life. I giggled like I was 10 years old again when I saw that.

I mean ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

hall-of-justice-night-214350-640x320.png

*young me passes out*

I just want the disembodied voice to proclaim "MEANWHILE, AT THE HALL OF JUSTICE". The fact that this crossover has the Hall of Justice at all puts it above the Snyderverse already.

oti

Banned
OK, I just caught up with the episode..

I don't care that it was fan service. I. DON'T. CARE.

Because...

that Hall of Justice is giving me life. I giggled like I was 10 years old again when I saw that.

I mean ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

hall-of-justice-night-214350-640x320.png

*young me passes out*

what's bad about fan service?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Forbes of all places had a good article about why everyone being mad at Barry is short sighted and stupid.

The issue is that Barry makes unilateral decisions about reshaping reality. So he depends on all of these people to help him on his mission, but then takes it upon himself to change things. This is moments after he saw Zoom carried away because of all the times he messed with the timeline. Barry is (allegedly) a grown ass man. It isn't like he didn't know more than just one thing could change, he also learned that earlier in the season.

I think Diggle has all the right in the world to be pissed. These are his kids. And we don't know what it means. We don't know if John and Sara are two different people that were swapped or the same person but changed. Nobody has a frame of reference for this.

Mopey Cisco isn't fun but his brother just died. This didn't happen years ago, it was only a couple months ago. At this point I think his character is more annoyed by the fact that he isn't allowed to be upset and is being pushed to forgive Barry like it's a small thing.

Barry is sorta an easy target right now. It's less "Oh there was this other reality where..." and more "This isn't the life you should be living..."

Sephzilla

If everyone's going to get on Barry's case for altering their lives, he should snap back with "the fact that you guys are even alive is because I altered your lives". Because he's time traveled to save their lives twice now.

Joni

Forbes of all places had a good article about why everyone being mad at Barry is short sighted and stupid.

This Forbes Contributor is wrong. The problem is that Barry keeps doing this stuff without thinking. He basically unleashed Thawne again, and he never thinks about what happens with his changes. He knows what Zoom did, what Reverse Flash did, what the Time Wraiths are for but still he keeps going back on whims. In this situation, Barry's actions are understandable because he wanted to save his parents, but he is playing God and the others are right to be pissed.

Even if Barry did save Dante it ain't like "this" Cisco would benefit from it, he'd get overwritten by some other Cisco who wouldn't know any better unless Barry told him. Barry's(and the Legends I think, I haven't watched it) the only one who can really reap the benefits since he's the only one who remains himself.

Joni

Basically everyone's happy with Barry playing God until something doesn't go right, then playing God is not okay

He saved them twice, once by complete accident and once when the world ended. The second of which nobody knows outside of Oliver.

Basically everyone's happy with Barry playing God until something doesn't go right, then playing God is not okay

Mostly true, since post-Flashpoint Barry had to tell Cisco that he wouldn't go back to save Dante.

From the Forbes article:
Furthermore, it’s not even clear if Barry’s changes are responsible for stuff that’s happening in present day. Would Caitlyn have manifested powers anyway? Would Wally? Does Dr. Stein having a daughter he can’t remember have to do with Barry’s timeline changes, or his own?

And that’s the thing, I can buy exactly none of this for one reason alone, Legends of Tomorrow. It is extremely hard to believe that Barry Allen is at fault for trying to save his mother and father by time-traveling when the Legends and their adversaries don’t just mess with the timeline, they tear it up and stomp on it on a weekly basis.

Pretty much. It makes little to no sense.

Sephzilla

He saved them twice, once by complete accident and once when the world ended. The second of which nobody knows outside of Oliver.

*Insert Cisco bitchiness here*

Cisco: "You can't just time travel and play with peoples lives, Barry. It's wrong"

Barry: "Well I guess you should all know you've been living in an alternate timeline since before Flashpoint. When we encountered Vandal Savage I had to time travel then in order to save everyone because Vandal Savage actually killed you all."

Oliver: "He's right"

Barry: "Gonna complain about that too, Cisco?"

Mostly true, since post-Flashpoint Barry had to tell Cisco that he wouldn't go back to save Dante.

Yeah, Cisco's a giant hypocrite because he wanted Barry to time travel and play God before finding out Dante was alive pre-Flashpoint.

And both Caitlyn and Wally were exposed to the particle accelerator stuff pre-Flashpoint. So blaming their powers on Flashpoint is really stupid.

Grizzlyjin

Yeah. Isn't that the distinction between a hero and a villain? A hero either does something for the greater good or makes a personal sacrifice to help others. A villain either does something for their own gratification at the expense of others or does something for what they think is the great good at the expense of others.

That's sorta the problem with having any hero that can time travel. There has to be some type of consequence for doing it or nothing matters.

The big glaring moral issue with this interpretation of Flashpoint is when Barry decided to set things right. He knew he changed the lives of other people. Caitlin had a different life. Cisco had a different life. Joe had a different life. He did that to everyone without asking. He only decided to set things right when Wally got hurt. But the moment he saw that his friends weren't on the same path as before, he was already in the wrong. The show really didn't get the chance to reveal that but Barry is sorta the villain in all this.

Sephzilla

They've basically written Barry into a bad corner right now. In the Flashpoint comic,
Barry doesn't know he's the cause of everything and when he does go back to stop himself he does it because the world is pretty much on the brink of destruction. So the comic maintains the perspective that Barry is the hero throughout plus they give greater justification for his travel through time.
The show can't really do that same solution because Barry
from the very start knows he's the cause of everything and since the stakes aren't remotely as high, Barry going back to stop himself seems more hypocritical and greedy since he's mostly doing it just to make his friends happier.

They've basically written Barry into a bad corner right now. In the Flashpoint comic,
Barry doesn't know he's the cause of everything and when he does go back to stop himself he does it because the world is pretty much on the brink of destruction. So the comic maintains the perspective that Barry is the hero throughout plus they give greater justification for his travel through time.
The show can't really do that same solution because Barry
from the very start knows he's the cause of everything and since the stakes aren't remotely as high, Barry going back to stop himself seems more hypocritical and greedy since he's mostly doing it just to make his friends happier.
Maybe not, though, because of the message in LoT. Perhaps we ain't seen nothing yet.

Wonder if they'll ever deal with that first Barry. The one that waved him away from saving his mother. I figure that one caused his own Flashpoint.

Top Bottom