• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

I have warmed to Alonso over the years but I still think he has a bit of a fiery temper when things don't go his way. He's not really had to resort to it much lately thanks to Felipe, and a number of gifts this year but yeah. Watch out for it if he gets caught later by Kimi and Lewis (he is a good guy though).

I can see what you mean, but he's been overly humble and optimistic all year.

Yesterday, after they blew Q3, he tweeted that fans shouldn't worry and he'll make it up during the race.

Or the post-race press conference in Malaysia.

http://youtu.be/zAxRCSJ0mSI?t=16s

He definitely has changed.

pants

They can't accept that people change and that he isn't the Alonso they hated.
Alonso was never a bad guy, he was up against an English darling in an English media dominated sport. It's not difficult to see why he is seen in a more positive light now, not that he has "changed".

Fun race.

As I was saying since Spa. Things are back to normal. Ferrari and McLaren are back on top. Lotus have lost ground, and their win will never come this season unless something unusual happens

Shame what happened to Button's car. The championship would've been more interesting if had finished where he could've

Singapore will be another shitty boring race where qualifying means 99% your result. If Alonso gets a good race there its almost over. Especially with a different winner every race Alnoso is getting ever closer to securing his 3rd WDC..

Leunam

Man, Perez was on rails at the end. Really hoping that either Sauber continues to improve or he finds himself in a better seat.

Deadman

Alonso was never a bad guy, he was up against an English darling in an English media dominated sport. It's not difficult to see why he is seen in a more positive light now, not that he has "changed".

Yeah he never stopped in the pits to block hamilton from setting a time, the evil english media made it up!

Chris R

Great result for Hammy, and man can't wait to see Perez in red!

Two week break now until the next race :( Wonder if this exciting season will spice up SingaBOOOORING.

Vettle's penalty was completely deserved, and Di Resta was very lucky to escape a penalty for a similar move.

Not such a great race for the championship, but there's still chances for things to get interesting.

Nolan.

See I really don't agree with Vettel's penalty I usually dislike him but to be honest where else was he supposed to go? it was Alonso's choice to try and overtake in that position and he continued to push instead of lift off.

Dilly

Banned
See I really don't agree with Vettel's penalty I usually dislike him but to be honest where else was he supposed to go? it was Alonso's choice to try and overtake in that position and he continued to push instead of lift off.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41912705&postcount=7928

What you you mean 'where was he supposed to go'? Alonso was already half past Vettel, which means that his front wheel would've collided with Vettel's rear if he backed off. When he initiated the overtake there was enough room for 2 cars.

Kubica won by 58 secs.

DSC_7844.jpg

DBT85

Glad to see Hamilton on the top step and RB not getting anything at all. Not seen the race yet as I was in bed so will have to wait for the BBC repeat of the highlights at 11:30.

Also pleased to see Perez doing so well. As long as he does get a drive with a top team he'll be a champion for sure.

Glad to see Hamilton on the top step and RB not getting anything at all. Not seen the race yet as I was in bed so will have to wait for the BBC repeat of the highlights at 11:30.

Also pleased to see Perez doing so well. As long as he does get a drive with a top team he'll be a champion for sure.

It'll be on the iplayer by now.

Gor@n

Neo Member
Disappointing race by RB, they need to pick up their game if they want to have any chance at the titles. Felt bad for Button, would rather Hamilton go out then him. Hard to hate Alonso though

Nolan.

I'd like to see Perez do well which is why I would be cautious about Ferrari because I don't think he will be winning any titles until after 2017 unless Fernando really looses form drastically.

moojito

I'd like to see Perez do well which is why I would be cautious about Ferrari because I don't think he will be winning any titles until after 2017 unless Fernando really looses form drastically.

I don't know about that. Even in Schumacher's day he helped out Irvine when he had a chance at the title. Alonso is the favourite at ferrari because he's a winner. If perez got his head down and got some wins, the situation there could easily change.

jey_16

Banned
I have warmed to Alonso over the years but I still think he has a bit of a fiery temper when things don't go his way. He's not really had to resort to it much lately thanks to Felipe, and a number of gifts this year but yeah. Watch out for it if he gets caught later by Kimi and Lewis (he is a good guy though).

All the drivers on the grid whine when things don't go their way though, many much worse then Alonso

mblitek

Lee has always been a lot more likeable and she has the cred to go interview pretty much anyone and get decent asnswers. You can tell that Lee loves it, Jake as well.

Not that you'd see more of her, if she'd do the interviews.

I mean, Natalie Pinkham isn't bad either and you don't see her that much.

Yep, character & personality trumps or helps with the overall "package" a lot.

It's almost like this race corrected the wrongs of the last by the F1 gods

Yes! The three taken out at Spa all podiumed, well not directly as Kobayashi was affected too.

Great race, shame about Button, but at least Perez managed to steal a few points from Alonso.

Sky coverage is still awful, eugh.

It would have been great to see McLaren close in on Ferrari by quite a bit. Glad to see the title race get even tighter, not just first. Oh wait it didn't, I forgot about Vettel & Webber' misfortune.

He can't speak when the producer is speaking to him either. "So now we.... are going to a ... commercial break and when... we... return... yep we'll have an interview with..."

How on Earth does he have the job when he can't speak when being spoken to.

His Dad must have SOME connections? Either way he's horrible. On the Sky aftershow he tried to "spray" Johnny with water and instead got a female Police officer wet, dumbass.

It's amazing how Kimi is somehow 3rd in the standings now. Would be awesome to see him win WDC by 1 point like in 2007.

He drives respectfully and with skill and consistency. He seems very calculated too.

I honestly don't understand why Lewis wouldn't be staying at McLaren. There isn't a better team for him, especially not Mercedes.

I do agree he seems to be acting weird.

"It doesn't matter because I won" - Lewis on being booed, ahahaha.

Yeah I don't get it but to me it all seems like a planted seed by Lewis' management & McLaren just trying to get the best deal.

Judging from those white and green flags in the front (bearing the symbol of one of the most racist political parties in Italy), I'd say the worst part of the crowd was standing just under the podium.

I told my friend, "Those aren't Weed flags..."

McLaren seem to have got their tyre wear sorted. Even Lewis can do a Jenson like 1 stop easily. That has to be a worry for their rivals. At the end of the first stint on softs, Ferrari and RBR fell back on pace.

Who knows how/if the tyres change compound though for each circuit.

Redbull should be a lot stronger there but as we've seen this season, tracks haven't really honoured their promised strength boosts to the appropriate cars so it should be interesting indeed. I don't get the idea behind 'the wrong Mclaren won' Lewis had more points than Jenson at the start of the race plus from Fernando's point of view he's the closest challenger. I really hope this season ends on a massive battle royale for the title like it's shaping up to be , Also senna is only 4 points behind Maldonado and again outscored him will be interesting to see what Williams do by the end of the season for driver line up.

Maldonado definitely has talent and speed. Just has........other flaws.......Senna sadly doesn't have the experience as the other guys since he started so late in his career.

tumblr_ma37x7bqT01rypmt9o1_500.jpg

How can people not like this guy?

It's more than possible. But judging by McLaren's pace in Hungary (granted Lotus were arguably quicker) and their pace in Spa and Monza, we could be looking at a repeat of the latter half of 2009 and 2011 in terms of McLaren having the best package and scoring the most points. But we'll see, I get carried away speculating.

Hated Alonso in 2010 when I started watching again, grew to not mind him last year, I like him this year.

I didn't like him a few years ago as he was a brat especially at McLaren with Lewis! But now I like the guy. Never doubted his skill though.

Dilly

Banned
Pat Fry said:
"Then there was the incident when Fernando went off the track in his duel with Vettel: once the telemetry was working again, we spotted there was something not quite right at the rear, so in the final laps, we asked him to be cautious, avoiding the kerbs. When the car was in parc ferme, I have to say we could see the damage was quite bad, also affecting the aerodynamics."

So Alonso's car had some damage because of going off track at that speed.

Pimpwerx

Great win for my boy, Lewis. He's totally checked out on the team. No enthusiasm for pole. Not his usual exuberance on the radio following the win. Not much of a celebration with his crew. Pretty subdued for the kid, but I'm fine with that. He's my favorite driver, and I feel the most-talented on the grid. I'll support him where ever he goes. It helps that Mercedes has the potential to be great. Maybe he can take them there.

Excellent race by Perez. I was cheering him on...right until he got around Alonso. Then I was cursing him. LOL! I'm glad he consolidated the position he did.

As noted on here, Alonso has indeed changed, but I still don't like him. After Michael retired, he was my favorite driver along with Lewis. However, Lewis' racing style caught my eye more, and I quickly began to favor him. I was still fond of Fonso until he started playing team politics with Lewis, and inevitably cost him a title. Since then, I've not liked the guy. I will, however, always respect his driving ability. I have respected and enjoyed it since his days at Minardi. He put that car places on the grid it never belonged.

As for my fantasy team, I took a calculated risk not changing D'ambrosio this week. However, I had bigger plans for the remaining races, and thought saving money (the hit you take from making changes) for a big move going into Singapore. I believe I've made the right move, and can overcome the 179 point deficit to first in the last 7 races. We'll see if I was right or not.

Roll on Singapore...one of my least-favorite races on the calendar. PEACE.

Draconian

Great race, great podium. So happy for Perez. He had a great car and his team had a great strategy. What's a shame is he probably would've done very well last week too if Grosjean hadn't happened (pretty funny that the entire podium was taken out by him last week). What a disastrous race for Red Bull. They lost just about all the ground they had gained last week.

acm2000

vettels drive through was a disgusting abuse by the fia/stewards, he left room, alolso drove out really wide to make it look worse, and vettel held him off fairly.

Lach

vettels drive through was a disgusting abuse by the fia/stewards, he left room, alolso drove out really wide to make it look worse, and vettel held him off fairly.

Well I wouldn't call less then a meter "he left room". To me it looks like he opened the space as soon as he noticed that alonso was right beside him.
untitled-1456x2a.gif

Business

To think anyone will go off the track on purpose, on that corner, at that speed, it's just delusional.

operon

To think anyone will go off the track on purpose, on that corner, at that speed, it's just delusional.

Exactly especially as we know now his car was damaged. Stayed the same on 15th despite getting 1036 points going to be harder to move up as the races go on the choices will have to be real good

pappe

Up 6 places and broke into the top 10. Would have had a better week had Button had not suffered bad luck. Anyways not complaining.

Nolan.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41912705&postcount=7928

What you you mean 'where was he supposed to go'? Alonso was already half past Vettel, which means that his front wheel would've collided with Vettel's rear if he backed off. When he initiated the overtake there was enough room for 2 cars.

I've seen it from Alonso's view in the car and it looks a little more in favour of him but I still feel he was being too punchy to try and get it done there on Vettel

Dilly

Banned

Uhm, even with a kart at about 80km/h it's extremely hard to keep that thing going in a straight line when driving on grass. I don't think anyone in 4th position defending his championship is going to drive over grass/gravel on purpose with an F1 car at 300km/h to try and get Vettel penalized while he was the faster car of the two.

I think that Vettel just wasn't aware of the speed difference between him and Alonso and didn't expect him to pop up on his left side in that corner already.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
That double RBR retirement really hurt me in the fantasy f1 standings. Still I have a bit of cash to upgrade my 2nd driver for next race.

Uhm, even with a kart at about 80km/h it's extremely hard to keep that thing going in a straight line when driving on grass. I don't think anyone in 4th position defending his championship is going to drive over grass/gravel on purpose with an F1 car at 300km/h to try and get Vettel penalized while he was the faster car of the two.

I think that Vettel just wasn't aware of the speed difference between him and Alonso and didn't expect him to pop up on his left side in that corner already.

Yes. I don't think he noticed him. At the point Alonso started to make the move Vettel was just going for the natural line.

So here's how I think it goes down for McLaren this year. They will let go of Whitmarsh and Button. This enables Hamilton to stay as he is their largest asset, and the sponsors won't stand a loss like that. Button just isn't as marketable and Whitmarsh will have to give way for the sponsors, he has never really backed Hamilton for whatever reason.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Interesting theory. Things are going to change at McLaren one way or another next year.
The place seems to stink since the Hamilton "twittergate" Spa incident.
That too friendly Jenson & Lewis relationship seems to have really cooled, I'm getting Senna/Prost vibes now.

Top Bottom