• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Risgroo

I see the talk of Perez to McLaren is in the article too. It was put forward yesterday too as making sense. McLaren have a habit of signing drivers out of left field and unexpectedly with Kimi and Alonso being the 2 stand-outs.

Button and Perez in the same team would be too awesome.

Hamilton even has an advantage in that regard, because the team won both titles just three years ago.

There's been such a huge shift in budget, resources and personnel since the 2009 car was designed that it can barely be considered the same team, really.

Mercedes have really outpaced some teams when it came to car development, compared to last year when they fell behind in the second half.

Funny, last night I was thinking exactly the opposite. Same old Mercedes, failing to keep up with the developments of the big three. Let's face it, have they had anywhere near the race pace to win a race recently?

Risgroo

They've probably still got a lot of the guys who brough us this sexy beast though:

3RCqn.jpg

Shark fin and dumbo ears, hot.

Nolan.

I don't think it's much to do with Lewis' 'brand' at all. I'll throw my own 2p in too why not. I think Jenson's performance last year did a lot to increase the team's perception of him and his long term vision within the team and he's capitalised on that ever since. Lewis found solace in other things and partially self destructed.

F1 is a sport but it's also about being adept at playing the politics well, at the end of the day you're dealing with people and those people around you will naturally respond better to certain things than others. I think Jenson is more aware of how to work that at Mclaren. I wouldn't say Lewis is that kind of character inherently and neither was Fernando at one point however Fernando learned how to manipulate those two worlds (his needs vs that of the team) and how to deal with each. I think Lewis hasn't quite learned how to do that yet, either out of sheer ethics or ignorance. Anthony was talking about loyalty being important in this sport etc but I'm not so sure the team view him as an asset so much as someone they need space from now. Even if Lewis wanted to be loyal and stay would it be worth it if the waters are murky.?

History has a way of repeating itself and it might do it again here. Fernando had to leave Mclaren, Kimi had to leave Ferrari, Senna, prost the list goes on. Of course it could all be bullshit but I think it was telling that they didn't get it sorted during the summer break. If Lewis did leave though and somehow won the Wdc thereby taking the no1 to another team it would be interesting. I don't think Mercedes will be able to provide a car that gets him more race wins or a world champion ship until maybe 2014 beyond but I think if he won it this year he'd be content with that. Though it will test his relationship with Rosberg because either way he will compromise his position within the team.

Igo

I didn't really care before but I really hope the new upgrades can make the Mercedes a winner again and inspire some confidence for next season.

Lewis in a competitive Mercedes is what i'd prefer at this point. I just don't want to see Lewis' talent wasting away in a shit car.

All the recent champions scattered around in different teams would make for an increidbly exciting championship too.

Nolan.

I didn't really care before but I really hope the new upgrades can make the Mercedes a winner again and inspire some confidence for next season.

Lewis in a competitive Mercedes is what i'd prefer at this point. I just don't want to see Lewis' talent wasting away in a shit car.

All the recent champions scattered around in different teams would make for an increidbly exciting championship too.

Well he's had enough practise wasting away at Mclaren for a while. Thing is I think the age of Mclaren might be here pretty soon if it isn't already (would be hilarious if they dominate for the rest of the season only to fall way back next year). I'm not sure how I feel about the whole situation it just seems fucked up all round, and Mclaren could end up coming out again as not being able to handle an equal driver system. I do think Mercedes have put themselves in a reasonable position to come back at the big guys though, it's just weather it clicks into place or not. I agree with the idea of an even spread of world champions though it would be exciting.

DBT85

I think it must be quite a tough decision for him. Next year the rules are not so different that it is going to shake anything up. So whomever ends this season the strongest is going to be strong next year unless they try something radically different and fuck it up. But with it being the last year on these rules I doubt that will happen.

With the 2014 rules however it could really turn things on it's head. McLaren could win the WDC this year, and again next year and then be nowhere in 2014 with the new engines and rules for other things. With all the money pouring in to Caterham they could be nearer the top, or Sauber could continue their current form and find something that the traditional teams miss.

Brawn was right when he said that being in a works team is going to have it's advantages. Providing the Ferrari, Renault and Mercedes engines are all solid and reliable, being in the works teams (RB, Merc and Ferrari) that will get more attention, more data, more everything, is going to be a benefit.

The issue of course is that RB have a line up for next year already. Massa is almost certainly on the way out but the past with Alonso is going to hamper Hamilton driving there, despite them both waxing lyrical about each other in the last 12 months and Hamilton praising the Monza crowd despite them being atrocious. For a minute or two he was making me think he was going to Ferrari with some of his words and stuff, but they don't generally want two number 1 drivers, despite how strong they would be as a team.

So the only option is Mercedes. No other team is big enough or has the backing (provided they don't go the rhythm method and pull out). With all of that being in question it's not much of a bargaining chip against what he can get from McLaren.

They have had poor starts to the season for a few years but they have always got a winning car by the end of the season. This year they had it right from the start, had it not been for a series of operational issues I have no doubt that Hamilton would be 40 odd points ahead on the WDC. All of that seems to have sorted itself out though. They are consistently brilliant on the pit stops, the general cockups have stopped. And he wants that McLaren F1 from Dennis.

If I were Hamilton I'd be wondering if they can carry this good start, this strong car, and everything else over to next season. All that weighed against a Mercedes team who have struggled for several years since winning both championships because they caught everyone else out with a DDD and won enough points to hold them off for the rest of the year.

I don't think I'd want to lock down anything more than 2 years though. That'll put him one year into the new rules and engine formula so if McLaren end up with a lemon he can jump ship.

Dilly

Banned
Funny how Di Montezemelo is going on about it still being to early for Perez to join Ferrari.

Massa was more of a rookie than Perez.

NHale

Brawn was right when he said that being in a works team is going to have it's advantages. Providing the Ferrari, Renault and Mercedes engines are all solid and reliable, being in the works teams (RB, Merc and Ferrari) that will get more attention, more data, more everything, is going to be a benefit.

Red Bull is not a works team.

They have had poor starts to the season for a few years but they have always got a winning car by the end of the season. This year they had it right from the start, had it not been for a series of operational issues I have no doubt that Hamilton would be 40 odd points ahead on the WDC. All of that seems to have sorted itself out though. They are consistently brilliant on the pit stops, the general cockups have stopped. And he wants that McLaren F1 from Dennis.

That argument could be used for anyone on the WDC fight. If Ferrari had delivered a decent car from the beginning/had a decent strategist, Alonso would be 80pts ahead. If Red Bull was reliable with KERS and alternator, Vettel/Webber would be ahead by 40pts. If McLaren didn't screw Button's setup he would be 20pts ahead. If Lotus had someone making smart decisions on the pitwall, Raikkonen would be 30pts ahead.

McLaren has made mistakes like everyone else. In fact, even Hamilton made mistakes. If he wasn't so agressive vs. Maldonado at Valencia he would have 15pts more than he has today.

Funny how Di Montezemelo is going on about it still being to early for Perez to join Ferrari.

Of course it's too early for Perez. It's not like he just beated both Ferrari's on their home race, right?

Ark

It's a case of planning for the future. Hamilton wants to emulate what Schumacher and Alonso did to Ferrari.

McLaren has made mistakes like everyone else. In fact, even Hamilton made mistakes. If he wasn't so agressive vs. Maldonado at Valencia he would have 15pts more than he has today.

That crash was 80% Maldonado's fault.

No, Red Bull and Renault are co-developing various aspects of the car (engine, kers, gearbox, alternator, aero etc). Don't forget about the Infiniti aspect of it.

Not to mention that they're collaborating on the 2014 V6.

Interesting. I thought the former Renault team would have a bigger role in that.

NHale

No, Red Bull and Renault are co-developing various aspects of the car (engine, kers, gearbox, alternator, aero etc). Don't forget about the Infiniti aspect of it.

Not to mention that they're collaborating on the 2014 V6.

Do you have link for that? First time I heard about it.

Do you have link for that? First time I heard about it.

From September last year:

The decision of reigning F1 champions Red Bull and Renault to extend their deal with for a supply of customer engines for five more years was announced over the Monza weekend, before Sebastian Vettel went out and won a second race in a row on what’s always been considered a “power circuit”.

This deal is significant in that it means that not only will the team use the current V8 units with the Renault KERS system for 2012 and 2013, but is committed to the marque for the new generation of fuel efficient V6 1.6 litre turbo engines from 2014 onwards. Part of the deal is a technology collaboration between Red Bull Technology and Renault to work on innovations for the 2014 engine. These will benefit all Renault customers, which will also include Williams.

Full article: http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/09/why-red-bull-and-renault-are-getting-closer/

Actually, it was Sauber's Monisha Kaltenborn who sparked the discussion this time. Di Montezemolo is basically just agreeing with her.

Experience key for Sergio Perez if he is to deliver for Ferrari, says Sauber

Although that performance has renewed speculation that he could be on his way to Ferrari next season, Kaltenborn thinks there are still areas that the Mexican needs to improve.

"We mustn't forget that it is just his second season," Kaltenborn told AUTOSPORT when asked about the reasons for Perez's up-and-down campaign.

"I think what is very important is that he is a very talented driver, and has been from the beginning. That was the reason why we took him up, despite all the criticism we got.

"Then you have to give him the competitive tools because that is only where he can show things.

"Often the races were just spoiled by factors that were not under our control. So he is going through a learning curve: and that really tells you that if things are alright he can deliver these top performances.

"But he also makes mistakes; the team makes mistakes. It is a mix of everything. You still need a lot of experience to get to a very consistent and constant level."

Although Perez has finished on the podium three times this year - in Malaysia, Canada and Italy – he has also failed to score points in seven out of the 13 races.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102457

But LdM confirmed that Perez definitely won't drive for Ferrari next year and seeing how he wants Vettel more than anyone else on the grid, it could make it all a bit weird. If Vettel joins Ferrari in 2014, there won't be any place for Perez until Fernando leaves in 2015 or 2016.

DBT85

They're the Renault works team in everything but name. But yeah, to be accurate, they're not.

Quite.

This was form Horner 12 months ago

"The partnership with Renault/Nissan alliance is an important one for the team," he told the Red Bull website.

"It guarantees stability, it makes us the premier, factory team of Renault Sport, so our colleagues where the engines are produced will be working hand in hand with the engineers and designers at Red Bull."

It's as close to a works team as it's going to get after Renault moved their eggs out of the Renault team.

That's only one of the things that make a lot of people hate him. If he didn't join Ferrari I don't think he would have a lot of supporters

If you weren't an Alonso fan to begin with, a couple of monkey acts wouldn't change your mind about his personality

To me he will always be the cry baby who called F1 not a sport, he's still the guy who used stolen information from Ferrari, still the guy who blackmailed his boss to give him the No. 1 status, still the guy who cheated to win in Singapore

EDIT: but to be fair, since he joined Ferrari, I didn't see any silly stuff coming out of him, but that's maybe because he's treated like a princess over there so he has nothing to complain about

Covfan

News breaking that Sid Watkins has passed away, extordinary gentleman whose impact on safety in F1 and Motorsport in general has made it the safest it has ever been. At least he can now finally go fishing with Ayrton.

RIP.

Deadman

News breaking that Sid Watkins has passed away, extordinary gentleman whose impact on safety in F1 and Motorsport in general has made it the safest it has ever been. At least he can now finally go fishing with Ayrton.

RIP.

Damn. He saved many lives, a great man indeed.

Leunam

RIP.

What a shame. RIP

Was he the doctor that wanted Senna to retire and go fishing with him?

Great part of Senna, if so. Seemed like a cool guy.

Edit: The answer is in the original post. I can't read!

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
RIP. Massive loss to Motorsport. As mentioned his interview in the Senna film was heart breaking stuff.

Top Bottom