• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

So who fills in for Team Principal? Triumphant return of Ron Dennis?

Probably, at least as an interim solution until they clear out all of the Button/Whitmarsh axis and get a new Lewis approved second driver in. Lewis should own the McLaren team in the same way Alonso owns Ferrari.

He is their best chance of winning a WDC and right now they are holding him back.

Ark

Interesting theory. Things are going to change at McLaren one way or another next year.
The place seems to stink since the Hamilton "twittergate" Spa incident.
That too friendly Jenson & Lewis relationship seems to have really cooled, I'm getting Senna/Prost vibes now.

Really?

The Ferrari International Assistance truly were in full force.

I think you mean Fernando International Assistance ;)

Probably, at least as an interim solution until they clear out all of the Button/Whitmarsh axis and get a new Lewis approved second driver in. Lewis should own the McLaren team in the same way Alonso owns Ferrari.

He is their best chance of winning a WDC and right now they are holding him back.

Dropping Button and Whitmarsh for Hamilton is huge move, I'm not seeing it.

Cigol

I thought Button just signed a long term contract, and Ron is hardly sending love letters to Hamiliton through the media. I think it's more likely Hamilton will stay and try and put this and his many other dramas behind him. McClaren can get away with letting him go by making a point of principle over money and petulance, no driver being bigger than the team etc, etc... and he's not like to cause them much embarrassment at Mercedes.

A fresh start for Lewis would be good I think, and we might actually get to see the driving that makes him so popular if he has to fight in the midfield.

They're hard-balling Lewis over money and sponsorship deals, yet you think they're going to fire a star driver and their team principle & CEO to win him over?

Hilarious.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I can't find it now but there is a great photo from yesterday of the traditional McLaren photo shoot when they win a race. In it Jenson is giving a really hateful look over at Lewis.

Only saw that one with Lewis in 'OK i do not give a shit' mode

DrM

Redmond's Baby
donotgiveashitewr6o.jpg

:)

They're hard-balling Lewis over money and sponsorship deals, yet you think they're going to fire a star driver and their team principle & CEO to win him over?

Hilarious.
Lewis is McLaren to sponsors. He carries the team in terms of winning sponsors. Lewis is the star driver there in terms of sponsorship money and races but McLaren and Whitmarsh made a stupid decision to give Button such a long term deal that they will find costly to get out.

However you can be assured that the McLaren sponsors are on manoeuvres right now and top of the agenda is to ensure Lewis stays whatever the cost to the team in terms of other personnel. It's a big call but do is letting him leave in fact that is a bigger call given that Button isn't about to win any WDC titles.

NHale

Lewis is McLaren to sponsors. He carries the team in terms of winning sponsors. Lewis is the star driver there in terms of sponsorship money and races but McLaren and Whitmarsh made a stupid decision to give Button such a long term deal that they will find costly to get out.

However you can be assured that the McLaren sponsors are on manoeuvres right now and top of the agenda is to ensure Lewis stays whatever the cost to the team in terms of other personnel. It's a big call but do is letting him leave in fact that is a bigger call given that Button isn't about to win any WDC titles.

Just like Ferrari, McLaren doesn't need a specific driver to get sponsors on board. They are a very strong brand with very passionate fans and will continue to be long after Hamilton retires.

People said the same thing about Ron letting Senna leave McLaren and look what happened.

I'm sorry, but that's just utter nonsense.

If the sponsors were so bloody desperate for Hamilton to stay with the team, they'd pay up to keep him. Culling Button and Whitmarsh (even if you discount the damage that it would do to the team) would cost the team an absolute fortune - it would be much easier (and cheaper) to offer Hamilton a fraction of that cost to sweeten his deal.

Pimpwerx

Lewis is leaving that team. Ron Dennis retiring was the beginning of the end of his love affair with McLaren. I'm happy for him. The team hasn't helped him much at all with his championship hopes. He's had to outdrive terrible strategies and pitstops far too often. On top of that, they're not willing to pay him.

He'll go somewhere else and get paid like the ace driver he is. He'll have a team committed to his future and sponsors that can make him into a global name. He's blossomed as a driver, but also as an individual, and the corporate atmosphere of McLaren is really holding him back. I expect his individuality to really be on display once he leaves, even if he experiences technical hiccups at the outset. Most-importantly, he's gonna get paid properly. Let's face it. What's the difference between sticking with McLaren for less money, and still not winning a championship, as opposed to driving for Merc and getting paid like a superstar while not winning a championship? That Merc can win races, and he's got the talent to pull it off. He'll follow the dollar signs, and McLaren is still gonna be stuck with Whitlessmarsh spinning their wheels. PEACE.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
This has been a great season, Vettel has only won 1 race. Oh I went there!!

Its unpredictability has made for some great TV.

Ark

I can't find it now but there is a great photo from yesterday of the traditional McLaren photo shoot when they win a race. In it Jenson is giving a really hateful look over at Lewis.

The media must take hundreds of variations of those team photos, I'd take that with a grain of salt. There's rivalry there, probably more now than ever, but I'm not seeing Prost/Senna levels.

Holy shit, I hadn't even noticed. The only race Vettel did win this year, was the only boring race all year. Even Valencia managed to be exciting.

Goes back to what I said last year, any race Vettel doesn't win is an interesting/exciting race. I don't mean that in a hateful way either, genuinely seems to be true ;p

And you know what? I wouldn't be that bitter if he should win the WDC this year. It's been a hard and crazy season for everyone. Whoever wins, he definitely deserves it.

Ark

And you know what? I wouldn't be that bitter if he should win the WDC this year. It's been a hard and crazy season for everyone. Whoever wins, he definitely deserves it.

Domenicali would have to start writing up a new CV.

In all honesty, Alonso and Hamilton have driven the best all year, either of those two deserve the title the most. If Kimi wins, I'll lose my shit (in a good, conflicted way).

We're actually pretty poised for either a repeat of 2010, 2008 or 2007.

Chris R

I just hope the title goes down to the last race. Nothing worse than seeing someone not give it their all because they don't need to produce anything as the championship is already in the bag.

We're actually pretty poised for either a repeat of 2010, 2008 or 2007.

I just hope the title goes down to the last race. Nothing worse than seeing someone not give it their all because they don't need to produce anything as the championship is already in the bag.

I don't think I'll be able watch another 2010 race, it still hurts. And looking at Ferrari's pit strategy this season, I know they'd do the same mistake again.

navanman

F1 young driver test under way in France today at Magny-Cours. Being used by the attending teams as a way to test out some news parts.
Mercedes have a new DDRS and McLaren style exhuast system to try out.

James Allen isn't saying a deal is done, but he's adding up the pieces and saying that it looks incredibly likely that Hamilton is on his way out. There's also this interesting little snippet...

Eddie Jordan, apparently prompted by both XIX and Bernie Ecclestone, lobbed the grenade in on Wednesday, saying that Hamilton was on the point of signing for Mercedes. It was a final call to McLaren to improve the deal on offer or lose their man.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/09/hamilton-set-to-move-to-mercedes/

f0rk

Man wish I could have applied for this a year ago. Need to keep an eye out for grad jobs that sounds like the kind of thing I could do.

NHale

I still think leaving would be incredibly dumb by Lewis. But hey, if he wants to be a "brand", then so be it.

I'm starting to warm to the idea of Hamilton leaving. I can see how the challenge of turning Mercedes into a winner would seem exciting for him. Maybe he sees what Schumacher did at Ferrari and wants to try to do the same. It would definitely increase his chances of becoming the best driver of his generation.

Ark

Yup, it's totally possible for Hamilton to do to Mercedes what Schumacher did to Ferrari.

Hamilton even has an advantage in that regard, because the team won both titles just three years ago.

navanman

I'm starting to warm to the idea of Hamilton leaving. I can see how the challenge of turning Mercedes into a winner would seem exciting for him. Maybe he sees what Schumacher did at Ferrari and wants to try to do the same. It would definitely increase his chances of becoming the best driver of his generation.
I can see the Ferrari comparison for sure but its a different era now. Back then, you had unlimited budgets and testing and could spend your way to the top.

Mercedes have been quietly recruiting some top engineering and have the buiilding of a "super team". Maybe both parties see Hamilton as the Schumacher to Ferrari in the late 90s building the team up to the dominant force for nearly a decade.

navanman

I see the talk of Perez to McLaren is in the article too. It was put forward yesterday too as making sense. McLaren have a habit of signing drivers out of left field and unexpectedly with Kimi and Alonso being the 2 stand-outs.

Top Bottom