• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Ark

They´re offering HAM more money than they are paying MSC right now - how much more serious can they get? ;P

The monday after Monza Brawn and Bell had to report and show their plan for the future. Word is, Stuttgart was excited. Since Sept. 1st they are using their new wind tunnel, finally on par with RBR and Fer, using 60% models.

After winning China this year and seeing the competition, they know they can compete, they just need a helmsman capable of winning races, and who better than Hamilton? If Mercedes is staying in the game for seven years, that alone must look very tempting to Hamilton.

This week is going to be crazy fun for F1 news, I'm still excited to see who Jaime will be driving for next year, I have to admit I always liked the guy.

By the way, is anyone else fascinated at how this guy could take the title?

tumblr_maugy5WFIi1r8fbj8o1_500.jpg

I know he's been there all year, but I've completely ignored Kimi has a title contender since Lotus have yet to win a race.

After winning China this year and seeing the competition, they know they can compete, they just need a helmsman capable of winning races, and who better than Hamilton? If Mercedes is staying in the game for seven years, that alone must look very tempting to Hamilton.

This week is going to be crazy fun for F1 news, I'm still excited to see who Jaime will be driving for next year, I have to admit I always liked the guy.

I know he's been there all year, but I've completely ignored Kimi has a title contender since Lotus have yet to win a race.

Lotus needs to find some new speed though. Maybe with double DRS that they are finally going to test in Suzuka. They have damn reliable car though.

It's hard to ignore the man who had one point more than Vettel in the standings.

Ark

Lotus needs to find some new speed though. Maybe with double DRS that they are finally going to test in Suzuka. They have damn reliable car though.

Lotus keep banging on about new upgrades, maybe the ones they bring to Suzuka could net them a win, who knows.

It's hard to ignore the man who had one point more than Vettel in the standings.

I've just thought of Kimi as 'eh, he'll fall down the standings eventually', but he's still there.

Hammer24

Banned
If Mercedes is staying in the game for seven years, that alone must look very tempting to Hamilton.

The additions of Willis, Costa and Elliott (all already working on the 2013 car abandoning the current one) aren´t too shabby either. Especially Elliott is said to be a very happy camper with the new wind and 60% models.

DBT85

Formula 1 is one of the only sports in the world where I can justify the salaries they receive.

There are only 24 people in the world, out of 7 billion who can drive an F1 car at any one time. On top of that, there are only 6 out of those 24 who can realistically challenge for the title each year, making them 6 of the best athletes in the world. Not only that, but it's also incredibly dangerous.

Not to mention the vast amounts of money the teams and F1 itself makes.

What sports can you not justify the huge salaries?

DBT85

Premier league football.

Football/Soccer and fucking Golf comes to mind. C.Ronaldo and Tiger Woods get more money than Alonso or Hamilton and that's pretty ridiculous, considering that something like this

can easily happen in a race.

They earn what the sport can afford because of sponsorship and TV rights, it's no different to F1. The only difference that TV channels and supporters spend more on Football than F1.

Footballers want a slice of the pie just as drivers do. If some regulation came in and said that you can only earn £1,000,000 a year by playing football or being a driver, the same people would still do it.

If you want footballers to earn less, stop your friends and family from buying Sky Sports subscriptions, football shirts, season tickets etc. When the revenue drops so will the wages.

Sky just paid up £2.3bn on securing the TV rights to 116 matches each season for three years. Clubs are earning a fortune as a result and it's entirely understandable that the players want a cut of that. No different to the drivers.

How much did the BBC and Sky pay for the F1 rights?

The only reason footballers get paid what they do is because their sport is more popular than F1.

Hammer24

Banned
Some more Merc tidbits:
- ROS had some mysterious grip problems in the second half of the race. Data shows he lost about 4/10 sec per lap. The team doesn´t know why yet, as "the car came out too late from parc ferme". Otherwise they´re just happy to have some data collected on the coanda.
- Its likely that Merc will test a triple DRS system (some kind of periscope blowing the rear wing) in Japan FP (friday only). But it probably wont be used for the race, and is part of the 2013 car.

Ark

They earn what the sport can afford because of sponsorship and TV rights, it's no different to F1. The only difference that TV channels and supporters spend more on Football than F1.

Footballers want a slice of the pie just as drivers do. If some regulation came in and said that you can only earn £1,000,000 a year by playing football or being a driver, the same people would still do it.

If you want footballers to earn less, stop your friends and family from buying Sky Sports subscriptions, football shirts, season tickets etc. When the revenue drops so will the wages.

Sky just paid up £2.3bn on securing the TV rights to 116 matches each season for three years. Clubs are earning a fortune as a result and it's entirely understandable that the players want a cut of that. No different to the drivers.

How much did the BBC and Sky pay for the F1 rights?

The only reason footballers get paid what they do is because their sport is more popular than F1.

I'm fully aware of why they're paid so much, doesn't mean I agree with it.

jey_16

Banned
I would like to see Hamilton leave Mclaren just to shake things up.....I really hope the rumours about Massa staying with Ferrari are untrue

Joni

Premier league football.

Why? There are only so many players talented enough to play soccer on a high level while you have a huge amounts of team wanting to compete on a high level. Ergo a small group of top players is courted by a big group of teams, leading to huge salaries. That is actually different for F1 where there are more than enough talented drivers, but way less spots. Small teams often require drivers to bring in money for the team. (Via sponsorships of course) If you were to tell Alonso that he could only get 10 million, he could go to Red Bull, McLaren and where else? If you tell the same to any British premier league star, he could have offers from 20-30 teams on the same level as his current team.

Dilly

Banned
F1 drivers dedicate more time of their life to training and preparation for F1 races than footballers do for their matches.

DBT85

Because the soccer guys don´t put their life on the line any given sunday.

F1 drivers dedicate more time of their life to training and preparation for F1 races than footballers do for their matches.

Neither of these things are responsible for calculating salaries. If they were, the poor bastards coming back from Afghanistan, the people that run into burning buildings, the men and women who protect the free world, the scientists striving to understand our universe, would earn more than everyone else.

Cucumber and Loldonado are just as likely (if not more so) to die in an F1 car this season as Alonso, yet they'll be getting paid a tiny amount in comparison. So even F1 as a sport doesn't consider the risks involved to have any bearing on the salaries paid.

Dilly

Banned
Neither of these things are responsible for calculating salaries. If they were, the poor bastards coming back from Afghanistan, the people that run into burning buildings, the men and women who protect the free world, the scientists striving to understand our universe, would earn more than everyone else.

Cucumber and Loldonado are just as likely (if not more so) to die in an F1 car this season as Alonso, yet they'll be getting paid a tiny amount in comparison. So even F1 as a sport doesn't consider the risks involved to have any bearing on the salaries paid.

I don't care if they're responsible, it's logical footballers get a higher salary but that doesn't mean I have to find it fair.

DBT85

I don't care if they're responsible, it's logical footballers get a higher salary but that doesn't mean I have to find it fair.

Then it can't be fair that Alonso or Hamilton get ridiculous wages either. One can't be fair unless they both are.

Pimpwerx

It's not the sport though, it's the individual in it. I'm sure there are hundreds of sportsmen (and women) who have chosen to stay with their particular team/club universally due to loyalty rather than money. I could roll off a few off the top of my head with AFL, for instance. But obviously no entire sport is immune... there are always greedy people.

PEACE

The names you could list would be a fraction of the total players in the league. Loyalty is bs, and in big money-grossing sports, money is very important. I could list a few players in every sport that take less money to stay with their team. If they're an elite player, they still get paid elite money. The Big3 took pay cuts to play in Miami, but are still making elite money. The rumored pay cut for McLaren was taking him out of elite territory. There's no loyalty in any form of business, when most businesses will gladly cut you once your performance drops off. PEACE.

That's a great picture.

I think its very difficult for Kimi to remain up there, 4th in the standings will be an achievement. I hope the DDRS will put them in the podium in Suzuka and the "big upgrade" in Korea will give them a win. It will feel strange for him to be this many podiums and not a single win

Has anyone seen Luc here recently. Soon he'll owe me a Blu-ray season review :)

Chris R

Couldn't buy the airport parking tickets for the US race :( they must have sold out within seconds, because I was there right when they launched and still didn't get any.

Have to hope for alternative solutions to pop up between now and the race because I'm almost positive the shuttle to down town or the fairgrounds is going to be a cluster.

AndyD

aka andydumi
$200+ for on site parking or the "free" shuttle (no way they don't charge for parking at the shuttle pickup points).

I see. I think we are going to go for the shuttle and leave the rental car downtown somewhere. I imagine it will be steep to park but more convenient to stuff to do.

AcridMeat

Banned
Am finally back on schedule with F1, was at the WTCC race on Sunday which was fucking awesome, hope they come back. Watched Singapore today and thought it was decent. Definitely action and a shame Hamilton's car failed but it did help with the standings a bit.

I wonder what Schumacher was thinking to himself after hitting Vergne, questioning if he's too old for it?

amar212

Without Bernie Ecclestone F1 would be shit.

Man is not the most likeable person on the planet, but without him there will be no Formula 1.

And it takes a prodigy to foresee the future. And he was the one. It takes an enlightened absolutist to run such circus as F1 is, and Bernie has to be my favourite one.

Long live Bernie, I wish you to live for 100 years and laugh to all that wish you were dead long time ago.

Once he goes, F1 will fall in abyss of *democracy* which will lead to its demise.

Is "EJ" Eddie Jordan? If so, he´s been wrong countless times. Man, the stories he spins when intoxicated...

Yep, he means Jordan.

Meanwhile Lauda disagrees with him.
Reported by British newspaper The Guardian on Monday, the story is that Lauda is offering Hamilton visions of a Mercedes ‘super team’. However, when talking with the official F1 website, the Austrian’s thoughts are somewhat different.

“Hamilton will stay with McLaren,” said Lauda, who is also a Formula 1 pundit on German television. When asked about Mercedes, he simply replied: “I have no idea what they are up to.”

Adding that Kimi Räikkönen should remain with Lotus and that he expects no significant driver reshuffles ahead of 2013, Lauda spoke of the Ferrari line-up.

“Pérez would be a risk,” he claimed. “Massa is predictable and Alonso likes him, so I say that such a switch is not going to happen.”
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/284600/lauda-denies-connection-with-mercedes/

Hammer24

Banned
Yep, he means Jordan.

Jordan, lol. He once told a story, that Ralf Schumacher would be homosexual. His kid with Cora would be fathered by Willi Weber, who set up the phony marriage to kill two birds with one stone: covering up his extramarital activities, and Ralfs sexual orientation.

Now for some news:
- Charlie Whiting just green lighted the Austin GP. He flew there directly from Singapore to make the final assessment. He graded the track Grade 1, which is the best grade possible. he thinks that the track will have three to four chances of overtaking, most notable the hill on turn one, which opens very wide and closes very narrow on the apex, so drivers will have to steer blindly into it.
- On 28th September is the next world council of FIA, where Bernie and Jean want a steep rise for the team fees. They plan to ask a base fee of 500000 Euro per Team, plus 7000 Euro per championship point. As the teams have no vote on the world council, they wrote a joint letter to beg to not vote for this raise.

NHale

Jordan, lol. He once told a story, that Ralf Schumacher would be homosexual. His kid with Cora would be fathered by Willi Weber, who set up the phony marriage to kill two birds with one stone: covering up his extramarital activities, and Ralfs sexual orientation.

Well he reported that Schumacher would return to F1 driving for Mercedes before anyone else and everyone called him crazy then. He was right. He only reported what Bernie told him, the same Bernie that said Schumacher would retire this year.

Right now everyone in the paddock is convinced that Hamilton signed a letter of intent with Mercedes and he's probably getting cold feet about the deal probably because McLaren improved significantly before the Summer break. The same letter of intent that Sebastian Vettel signed with Ferrari for 2014. Some people the recent rumors about a McLaren improved offer is just a matter of PR and not true. They don't want their fans to believe they low balled Lewis Hamilton.

From what I've seen everything will follow after Hamilton's announcement. If he stays, DiResta goes to Mercedes. If he leaves to Mercedes, Hulkenberg will replace him at McLaren. Jaime Alguersuari already signed with FI and Massa or Kovalainen will drive for Ferrari next year.

Hammer24

Banned
Well he reported that Schumacher would return to F1 driving for Mercedes before anyone else and everyone called him crazy then. He was right. He only reported what Bernie told him, the same Bernie that said Schumacher would retire this year.

True. Yet he mixes some much bs in, that I´m taking everything he says with huge pinches of salt.

Right now everyone in the paddock is convinced that Hamilton signed a letter of intent with Mercedes and he's probably getting cold feet about the deal probably because McLaren improved significantly before the Summer break. The same letter of intent that Sebastian Vettel signed with Ferrari for 2014. Some people the recent rumors about a McLaren improved offer is just a matter of PR and not true. They don't want their fans to believe they low balled Lewis Hamilton.

HAM has to decide if he wants to become the second best paid driver, getting even more than MSC got in a somewhat risky car, or stay with the better car for about half the money.

From what I've seen everything will follow after Hamilton's announcement.

This much is for sure. Plus Kubica will get the Pirelli deal.

NHale

Everyone seems convinced that Schumacher and Hamilton future plans are going to be announced today.

Alguersuari said on Friday that he would announce his new team this week but since that he said that afterall it will be next month. Reliable sources in Spain, are saying he signed with FI and he will bring Cepsa money vital to FI survival because of the Vijah Mallya and Sahara financial problems.

WillBuxton said:
You know something's gone wrong when it appears that Eddie Jordan is the only person who has even the slightest idea of what is going on.

LOL.

Hammer24

Banned
Everyone seems convinced that Schumacher and Hamilton future plans are going to be announced today.

By now I expect it to get a little more delayed. Merc wanted the announcements of their staying and MSC future separated. Now they decided to announce their staying together with FIA and them signing the ca. But FIA still had Sids death to deal with, and the world council on Friday, so it might be postponed to next week.
So maybe they are doing the driver announcements earlier than originally planned?

DBT85

It's a bit easier to read on the Pitlane Magazine website.

http://www.pitlanemagazine.com/magazine/?p=213

Australia wants to keep the rae but pay less for it according to autosport

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102864

Tourism Minister Louise Asher said on Wednesday the government had subsidised this year's event by $56 million despite an increase in the number of tickets sold.

"I'd love to have the race beyond the 2015 contract, but the contract that we discuss has to present value for taxpayers and I'm not comfortable with this level of subsidy," Asher was quoted as saying by The Age newspaper.

"The Brumby Labor government signed off on a contract that is too expensive for the taxpayer in my opinion. This is a very, very expensive race and I personally am not happy with this level of subsidy."

She admitted she expected further losses unless cost-cutting measures are put in place.

"You can reasonably expect that without significant further cost-cutting from the (Australian) Grand Prix Corporation, the subsidies will go up," she said.

Peter Logan, a spokesman for the Save Albert Park group, told the newspaper that the grand prix could not continue under the current financial deals.

"This is a failed business model ... every other event in Melbourne is run by people who know what they're doing with very little government subsidy in purpose-built venues," Logan said.

"The grand prix is run by the government on the most expensive model you could invent and that's why it costs so much money. And it's on a secret contract as well."

Chris R

Couldn't buy the airport parking tickets for the US race :( they must have sold out within seconds, because I was there right when they launched and still didn't get any.

Have to hope for alternative solutions to pop up between now and the race because I'm almost positive the shuttle to down town or the fairgrounds is going to be a cluster.

Actually they just opened the Airport Parking earlier today! Ended up being like $39 after all the fees, much better than $240 though. Thinking this will be the best deal if you aren't staying in downtown Austin! BUY NOW!

tarby

Neo Member

I don't think they're sold out, we just got an email about them and bought a pass. $30 for the weekend!

Chris R

I don't think they're sold out, we just got an email about them and bought a pass. $30 for the weekend!

Yep! I thought they were sold out since I checked the page AS SOON as they launched and couldn't buy any passes. Got the email too and purchased my parking pass. Going to be nice parking there, easy to get to from San Antonio (where I'm staying due to the insane hotel prices in the Austin area).

Ark

The BBC curse strikes again for Hamilton. In races this year where the BBC have shown the live event Hamilton has picked up a total of 33 points in 7 races, while when the race has been a sky exclusive he has picked up 109 points in 7 races. In the last four Grand Prix's shown live by the BBC, Hamilton has retired from 3 and picked up an 8th place in Britain, quite an extraordinary pattern.

I noticed before Singapore that all his wins had come from Sky broadcasts, but I didn't realise the difference in points.

I'll have to watch every race on Sky for the rest of the season just incase.

Top Bottom