• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Dead Man

This is the one he made at the time

untitled-16rzu80.gif

Technically he went outside. He as also driven out there by a car directly next to him, what happened to leaving a car width for cars next to you?

Lach

huh...in the newspaper this morning it said Webber go penalized for his botched pit entry where he went over the kerbs/line twice.

[edit] well autosport says it was for the koba overtake. I guess I trust them more..

Shaneus

Yeah, looking at that more though, Webber did overtake him but Perez definitely should have left more room than he did. Obviously I didn't see exactly what happened prior to the corner entry, but the Sauber definitely could left WAY more room than he did.

Can RBR appeal at all, or is that it?

Oh, something else:
Attn: Australians (and others not in the UK)
Do you have a PS3? If so, you can totally watch the BBC streams *in HD* on your console! I did it over the weekend, but I think I'm having internet problems because it ran like shit, but it definitely worked.

1. Sign up on Unblock-US.com. There's a free trial. Follow the instructions, set up everything as they say, changing the settings on your router to reflect their DNS.
2. Change the same DNS setting on your PS3 to their setting (or point it to your router, that should do the same thing)
3. Create a new PSN profile, basing yourself in the UK. I think you can do this on playstation.co.uk or something (I think that's where I did it, I can't remember).
4. Create a new user on your PS3, log onto it and setup your new UK PSN profile with it.
5. Go to TV/Video on the XMB, then My Channels. Download the BBC Sport "app". No need to bother with the BBC iPlayer one, that doesn't seem to have the live F1 stream accessible.

That's it! It gives the multiple angles and pit cam and all that crap, so it's the full deal. And when it's not buffering or laggy (but I'm in Australia... hopefully it's not like that all the time) it looks fucking GLORIOUS.

<3 Shaneus

Hammer24

Banned
Honestly don't fucking know why there's such a disparity between finishing positions on the RBRs every. fucking. week. Is it that Webber doesn't look after his tyres as well as Vettel, or is he genuinely, consistently being dicked around by strategy? The extra pit for Webber certainly didn't fucking help.

Webber needs way more tyres than Vettel. Even RBR has acknowledged, that this is limiting their race strategy.

This is the one he made at the time

untitled-16rzu80.gif

The design of the track makes the drivers do this. It's such a "safe" zone and looks so much like the track. He got pushed wide by Koby and because there's nothing there he kept his foot down. That's fair enough in my opinion.

I agree with Brundle that areas off the track should either be barriers or gravel. That's one easy way to make sure nobody goes off the track for an advantage and makes the races more challenging. Big fuck off run-off areas are only going to make these things more common and nobody likes the results changing post-race with penalties etc.

Edit: I do of course appreciate this is a street track so it's a bit different.

Ravenn17

Yeah, looking at that more though, Webber did overtake him but Perez definitely should have left more room than he did. Obviously I didn't see exactly what happened prior to the corner entry, but the Sauber definitely could left WAY more room than he did.

Can RBR appeal at all, or is that it?

Oh, something else:
Attn: Australians (and others not in the UK)
Do you have a PS3? If so, you can totally watch the BBC streams *in HD* on your console! I did it over the weekend, but I think I'm having internet problems because it ran like shit, but it definitely worked.

1. Sign up on Unblock-US.com. There's a free trial. Follow the instructions, set up everything as they say, changing the settings on your router to reflect their DNS.
2. Change the same DNS setting on your PS3 to their setting (or point it to your router, that should do the same thing)
3. Create a new PSN profile, basing yourself in the UK. I think you can do this on playstation.co.uk or something (I think that's where I did it, I can't remember).
4. Create a new user on your PS3, log onto it and setup your new UK PSN profile with it.
5. Go to TV/Video on the XMB, then My Channels. Download the BBC Sport "app". No need to bother with the BBC iPlayer one, that doesn't seem to have the live F1 stream accessible.

That's it! It gives the multiple angles and pit cam and all that crap, so it's the full deal. And when it's not buffering or laggy (but I'm in Australia... hopefully it's not like that all the time) it looks fucking GLORIOUS.

<3 Shaneus

I'm a fan from the U.S. so I appreciate you posting this. :D

Shaneus

Me too, I'll have to check it out.
No worries, guys! It's actually the most awesome option, because it's not using VPN (I think what happens is when you do a lookup to whatever site, it looks up via a local server so it brings back the "local" page, even though your IP isn't... or something) you're only ever using your own traffic and not a VPN quota as well.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Reports saying McLaren have made an improved offer to Hamilton of 12M a year which they are expecting to be accepted this week.

Ark

I can't watch the Singapore highlights without feeling sad over Hamilton's retirement.

I think it's fair to say that if he doesn't win Suzuka with Vettel and Alonso off the podium, it's all over for sure.

Reports saying McLaren have made an improved offer to Hamilton of 12M a year which they are expecting to be accepted this week.

I know I was saying earlier that I wouldn't mind seeing Hamilton go to Mercedes (and I still wouldn't mind it, it would be interesting to watch), with McLaren's current form they could really be in a good place to take at least one title next year and also Hamilton's form this year, he seems to have finally found a good place.

Mastah

It seems Massa stays at Ferrari for another year and the deal was signed during Singapore weekend. Should be officially confirmed soon, I guess.

Pimpwerx

If they're offering 12, then Merc can't be offering 20, as I read somewhere. That gap would still be too big. Either way, that DNF probably lit a fire under McLaren management to give him a better offer, since they're not exactly winning him over with their championship campaign. Whatever he decides, I hope he's happy with it and it brings him success. If he stays with McLaren, I wouldn't mind seeing Whitmarsh find the exit. He's too cozy with the slower driver right now. PEACE.

It seems Massa stays at Ferrari for another year and the deal was signed during Singapore weekend. Should be officially confirmed soon, I guess.

That doesnt surprise me at all. Despite everyones hatred for Massa, I was expecting him to stay for the 2013 season nonetheless.

Shaneus

With the amount of money pretty much all drivers are earning (with the exception of pay ones, obv) it surprises me that people will quibble over a few million a year as a small fraction of what they already get. Seriously. YOU DRIVE A FUCKING F1 CAR FOR A LIVING.

Hamilton not getting any extra respect from me regarding this.

Massa

With the amount of money pretty much all drivers are earning (with the exception of pay ones, obv) it surprises me that people will quibble over a few million a year as a small fraction of what they already get. Seriously. YOU DRIVE A FUCKING F1 CAR FOR A LIVING.

They have to look after themselves just like any other professional. If anything you should lose respect for McLaren for not wanting to pay Hamilton when he brings them quite a bit of money.

Pimpwerx

Name a professional sport where money isn't the biggest factor in negotiations. It doesn't matter how much they make, or what they do in the sport, money is always the biggest factor.

Also, the amount of money made is all determinant on the amount of money the sport makes. F1 is extremely lucrative, so it makes sense that the drivers should also get lucrative contracts. Driving an F1 car is in no way easy, which is why only two dozen men on the entire planet get a chance to do it. PEACE.

Shaneus

Name a professional sport where money isn't the biggest factor in negotiations. It doesn't matter how much they make, or what they do in the sport, money is always the biggest factor.
It's not the sport though, it's the individual in it. I'm sure there are hundreds of sportsmen (and women) who have chosen to stay with their particular team/club universally due to loyalty rather than money. I could roll off a few off the top of my head with AFL, for instance. But obviously no entire sport is immune... there are always greedy people.

PEACE

Joni

It's not the sport though, it's the individual in it. I'm sure there are hundreds of sportsmen (and women) who have chosen to stay with their particular team/club universally due to loyalty rather than money. I could roll off a few off the top of my head with AFL, for instance. But obviously no entire sport is immune... there are always greedy people.

PEACE

The AFL doesn't sound exactly like the best of the best for football players. F1 racers are the top of the crop of racing drivers. They are the Messi's, Tiger Woods, Bradley Wiggins, Kobe Bryants of racing. They're brand ambassadors worth billions in marketing. It is normal that they get a piece of that.

Xun

Even if it's unlikely, I'd like to think it's more Hamilton's management being anal.

Also I'm curious, but Alonso is the most paid driver in the sport at the moment, no?

neoanarch

Even if it's unlikely, I'd like to think it's more Hamilton's management being anal.

Also I'm curious, but Alonso is the most paid driver in the sport at the moment, no?

Drivers:

1. Fernando Alonso Ferrari €30m
2. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes €16m
= Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes €16m
4. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull Racing €10m
= Mark Webber Red Bull Racing €10m
= Felipe Massa Ferrari €10m
= Nico Rosberg Mercedes €10m
8. Michael Schumacher Mercedes €8m
9. Kimi Raikkonen Lotus F1 Team €5m
10. Heikki Kovalainen Caterham F1 Team €4m
11. Timo Glock Marussia F1 Team €3m
12. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber €1m
= Romain Grosjean Lotus F1 Team €1m
14. Nico Hulkenberg Force India F1 €500,000
= Sergio Perez Sauber €500,000
= Vitaly Petrov Caterham F1 Team €500,000
= Pedro de la Rosa HRT €500,000
18. Pastor Maldonado Williams €400,000
= Daniel Ricciardo Scuderia Toro Rosso €400,000
= Jean-Eric Vergne Scuderia Toro Rosso €400,000
21. Bruno Senna Williams €250,000
= Narain Karthikeyan HRT €250,000
23. Paul di Resta Force India F1 €200,000
24. Charles Pic Marussia €150,000

Drivers:

1. Fernando Alonso Ferrari &#8364;30m
2. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes &#8364;16m
= Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes &#8364;16m
4. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull Racing &#8364;10m
= Mark Webber Red Bull Racing &#8364;10m
= Felipe Massa Ferrari &#8364;10m
= Nico Rosberg Mercedes &#8364;10m
8. Michael Schumacher Mercedes &#8364;8m
9. Kimi Raikkonen Lotus F1 Team &#8364;5m
10. Heikki Kovalainen Caterham F1 Team &#8364;4m
11. Timo Glock Marussia F1 Team &#8364;3m
12. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber &#8364;1m
= Romain Grosjean Lotus F1 Team &#8364;1m
14. Nico Hulkenberg Force India F1 &#8364;500,000
= Sergio Perez Sauber &#8364;500,000
= Vitaly Petrov Caterham F1 Team &#8364;500,000
= Pedro de la Rosa HRT &#8364;500,000
18. Pastor Maldonado Williams &#8364;400,000
= Daniel Ricciardo Scuderia Toro Rosso &#8364;400,000
= Jean-Eric Vergne Scuderia Toro Rosso &#8364;400,000
21. Bruno Senna Williams &#8364;250,000
= Narain Karthikeyan HRT &#8364;250,000
23. Paul di Resta Force India F1 &#8364;200,000
24. Charles Pic Marussia &#8364;150,000

That list is old and not accurate anymore.

From the Forbes "The World's 100 Highest-Paid Athletes" list.

#19 Fernando Alonso

Total earnings: $32 million
Salary/winnings: $29 million
Endorsements: $3 million

Alonso remains the highest-paid driver in F1, earning close to $30 million annually from his salary with Ferrari. The Spaniard sits near the top of the 2012 F1 standings and is gunning for his third World Championship.
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45igdi/19-fernando-alonso/#gallerycontent

And the rest:

#20 Michael Schumacher

Total earnings: $30 million
Salary/winnings: $20 million
Endorsements: $10 million

Schumacher came out of retirement in 2010 to race full-time for Mercedes in a three-year deal. The results have been disappointing for the world&#8217;s most decorated Formula One driver. He finished ninth and eighth overall in the final standings in his first two years back.

#24 Lewis Hamilton

Total earnings: $28 million
Salary/winnings: $25 million
Endorsements: $3 million

Hamilton is a free agent after the 2012 F1 season. He is expected to have many suitors as Hamilton is one of F1&#8217;s most talented and marketable drivers. His current team, McLaren, controls almost all of the sponsorship rights to Hamilton, but he was able to ink a lucrative deal with Reebok in 2008 to be a global ambassador for the brand. It is his only personal endorsement deal.

No other F1 drivers are listed. The list ends with Kurt Badenhausen, a Baseball player, who earns $16.5 million, which obviously means that all other drivers get less than that in a year.

Yes, guys.

This man

untitled-10vlqye.gif

is the second highest paid driver on the grid.

Hammer24

Banned
The Forbes list and the list I posted were published 2 weeks apart. Forbes is also listed in USD vs Euro.

At least as far as the Merc drivers are conserned, your list is incorrect and Forbes is correct. MSC is the second highest paid driver right now, which given the production, is very unfair to ROS.
BTW, driver salaries are usually contracted in USD.

Ark

Formula 1 is one of the only sports in the world where I can justify the salaries they receive.

There are only 24 people in the world, out of 7 billion who can drive an F1 car at any one time. On top of that, there are only 6 out of those 24 who can realistically challenge for the title each year, making them 6 of the best athletes in the world. Not only that, but it's also incredibly dangerous.

Not to mention the vast amounts of money the teams and F1 itself makes.

At least as far as the Merc drivers are conserned, your list is incorrect and Forbes is correct. MSC is the second highest paid driver right now, which given the production, is very unfair to ROS.
BTW, driver salaries are usually contracted in USD.

A lot of Schumacher's money comes from personal sponsorships though. I guess that's just one of the many perks of being a living statistical legend.

Hammer24

Banned
News slowly dripping out: Merc is going to announce the 7 year extension in Formula 1 this week by signing the concorde agreement.
The ca has been intermediated by Lauda. Merc will get the historical priviliges (which has been the biggest point for Stuttgart) on a conditional basis, depending on future results.

neoanarch

A lot of the salary stuff seems to be second hand or speculation. the more you dig into it the less clear it becomes.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-fernando-alonso-like-michael-schumacher-except-salary/

Ferrari's Stefano Domenicali said:
"I read about Fernando's salary and (the report) was utterly ridiculous and wrong. It in no way corresponds with the level of investment by Ferrari in the sport.

"It's easy to talk about money, but people can be very misleading, and sometimes it's on purpose," he said.

NHale

News slowly dripping out: Merc is going to announce the 7 year extension in Formula 1 this week by signing the concorde agreement.
The ca has been intermediated by Lauda. Merc will get the historical priviliges (which has been the biggest point for Stuttgart) on a conditional basis, depending on future results.

So they are really betting on their near future. The Hamilton signing would be the perfect way to ensure they get the historical previleges permanently.

Hammer24

Banned
So they are really betting on their near future. The Hamilton signing would be the perfect way to ensure they get the historical previleges permanently.

They´re offering HAM more money than they are paying MSC right now - how much more serious can they get? ;P

The monday after Monza Brawn and Bell had to report and show their plan for the future. Word is, Stuttgart was excited. Since Sept. 1st they are using their new wind tunnel, finally on par with RBR and Fer, using 60% models.

Top Bottom