• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

dubc35

Stepped noses and DDRS out next year

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/9/13848.html
The revised rules, just published by Formula One racing’s governing body, give details of the ‘modesty panels,’ which can be used to smooth the transition between the low nose and the high chassis. The fairings will not affect the car’s aerodynamics or impact-protection properties.
Interested to see how the modesty panels (seriously?) will not affect aero.

Ark

Do the rumours about Chris Brown and Scherzinger mean Hamilton is going to implode again?

I've felt like their relationship has been rocky for a long time and Hamilton's new found 'grounded' mentality this year is a sign that he's moved on already.

Stepped noses and DDRS out next year

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/9/13848.html
Interested to see how the modesty panels (seriously?) will not affect aero.

Everyone should just copy the McLaren nose, both versions have looked the best all year.

No more ugly platypus noses?!

Am I the only person that doesn't actually find them all that ugly?

Goldrusher

Yen

Do the rumours about Chris Brown and Scherzinger mean Hamilton is going to implode again?

Hearing this news is like being punched in the face repeatedly, or having my head smashed off a dashboard.
Chris Brown is a fucking scumbag

KuGsj.gif
@ people thinking he was staying
not that I blame why anyone would think otherwise

That would make the rest of the season awkward between him and McL. Even more ironic if he somehow won the WDC this year.

At the end of the day, I guess money was more important to him. Oh well.

Ark

I won't lie, a little surprised to actually see him leave.

It's going to take some time to get used to not seeing Hamilton at McLaren. I can't think of one without the other. Well, here's to a new era.

EDIT:

It's downright hilarious reading all the comments from people saying Hamilton is doing this for the money, he'll never win a race again, end of his career, utter idiot, etc etc etc. People just don't get it.

Mastah

The Daily Telegraph understands that Mercedes are waiting for their board in Stuttgart to sign off on the new Concorde Agreement, the commercial pact which binds the teams to the sport, before making an official announcement regarding Hamilton. That announcement should arrive today.

Right up until the end the move was kept shrouded in secrecy. McLaren are only understood to have been informed of Hamilton’s decision yesterday, and may hold a press conference of their own this morning, at which they will announce their next move.

Hamilton famously walked up to McLaren’s then team principal, Ron Dennis, at the Autosport Awards ceremony as a 10 year-old in 1995 and said: “I want to race for you one day.” Less than three years later he was signed by the Woking team, who put him through the British Formula Renault, Formula Three Euroseries, and GP2 championships on his way up the motor racing ladder.

Hamilton’s decision to move to pastures new will no doubt be seen by some within the team as a betrayal. The McLaren principal, Martin Whitmarsh, who had always said he was confident of hanging on to Hamilton, and who claimed in Monza three weeks ago that there was “no plan B” in the event that the 2008 world champion left the team, seemed more confident than ever in Singapore last weekend.

Hamilton, too, reacted to his retirement from the lead in that race with maturity, praising his team for producing a car which has taken pole at the last four races, winning three of them.

In truth, it must have been a final act of kindness from a driver who had already made up his mind to gamble on a fresh start.

The regular controversies which have punctuated their relationship in recent seasons, the tension which was increasingly palpable, makes the move understandable.

Mercedes may have won just one race in 50 since returning as a full works team in 2010, but they have huge financial resources at their disposal, a much larger brand and a team principal in Ross Brawn who has delivered over half the world championships on offer this century.

The car’s competitiveness is an issue but Hamilton has clearly gambled on the capitalising on new engine regulations in 2014, when a 1.6-litre V6 turbo will be introduced. Mercedes, as one of the sport’s manufacturer teams, are expected to throw everything at that season.

Brawn yesterday said there was no reason that the team could not be competitive in 2013, arguing that the recruitment of a glut of experienced F1 engineers over the last 12-18 months would begin to show in 2013.

“I think we can [be competitive],” he said. “Next year is very important and it has got to be another strong progression. We have been a patchy this year. We have won a race but we have not been consistent enough. “The changes we have made at in the last two years will be measured in 2013. Geoff Willis, Aldo Costa, Mike Elliott, our new head of aero. I’m very excited about Mike. He’s a really strong guy. That has to show through in 2013 and I am pretty optimistic and confident that it will.”

Hamilton, whose move is certain electrify the paddock and is likely to kick-start a merry-go-round as far as race seats for next season are concerned, will go into the team as a clear No1, racing alongside his old karting team-mate and friend Nico Rosberg.

The move raises all sorts of questions; from how much influence XIX Entertainment, Simon Fuller’s management company, had over the decision — XIX are expected to be able to make more money out of Hamilton’s contract at Mercedes, who will grant them greater freedom to exploit his image rights – to who McLaren will get to line up alongside Jenson Button next year.

For the moment, though, F1 will just soak up one of the most sensational transfer stories in recent history.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mo...-join-Mercedes-in-100m-move-from-McLaren.html

NHale

Of course he's leaving. No one would announce tomorrow as a big day if he was staying, that was what everyone expected until Eddie Jordan (aka Bernie) decided to spice the F1 paddock.

On the other hand, Hamilton leaving "his" team for Mercedes will be one of the biggest sporting news of the year.

Massa staying at Ferrari will be announced next week. The deal was signed at Singapore and they are only working on the final details.

Despite some rumors going around right now that McLaren will announce Sergio Perez tomorrow, others continue to insist (Will Buxton) it's not possible because of the Carlos Slim/Telmex connection.

EDIT: Ok with the Telegraph reporting the same, now I believe it.

Montezemolo may yet live to rue allowing Perez to slip through his fingers. The attraction of Perez, apart from his ability behind the wheel, is his relationship with Telmex and its chairman and CEO Carlos Slim, the world’s richest man. The telecommunications giant would be a welcome addition to the McLaren stable should Vodafone decide not to renew its title sponsorship deal, as has been rumoured.

Montezemelo didn't sign Perez because he already has Vettel and Alonso signed for 2014. He has no spot for Perez in 2014, so it would be stupid to get him just to get rid of him after 1 year, no matter how well he did in 2013.

Mastah

Checo in McLaren? Fuck yeah, I'm crying with joy. All these years of waiting and here it is, my driver in top team :D

Ark

what?!

YES!

FUCKING YES!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

I won't believe this 'til I see it but still, holy moly.

Nothing set in stone, all we have is the word of The Telegraph so far. Like NHale said it might not be true, but we'll see.

Having supported Perez since his first race back in Australia last year, seeing him partner Button would be fantastic. Plus we'd get a good idea of his actual pace, being up against someone like Button.

Jibbed

Nothing set in stone, all we have is the word of The Telegraph so far. Like NHale said it might not be true, but we'll see.

Having supported Perez since his first race back in Australia last year, seeing him partner Button would be fantastic. Plus we'd get a good idea of his actual pace, being up against someone like Button.

Yup, I'm (somewhat) not getting carried away just yet. I guess in a few hours it'll be clear.

NHale

Brazilian motorsports websites reported the same a couple of hours ago. I didn't believe it at first because it's weird for a non-UK newspaper to get to scoop on McLaren news. Now it seems credible to me.

The problem I see with Button and Perez pairing is that both are the same kind of driver, steady, take care of tyres but not blistering fast. One of these on a team is good, two could be a problem.

Ark

Brazilian motorsports websites reported the same a couple of hours ago. I didn't believe it at first because it's weird for a non-UK newspaper to get to scoop on McLaren news.

The problem with Button and Perez pairing is that both are the same kind of driver, steady, take care of tyres but not blistering fast.

It could work both ways. Alternatively McLaren now have ample time to redesign the car around Button, and since they appear to share driving styles as opposed to the vastly different style of Hamilton to Button, we could see some very interesting results next season.

Jibbed

Poor di Resta. Seems his Mercedes future and Mclaren future dried up in one go.

I've just realised this too.. hmm. If Checo really is going to McLaren, then I guess there's a Ferrari seat opening up in the near future.

If Lewis can jump ship to Mercedes, then anything can happen.

Ark

I've just realised this too.. hmm. If Checo really is going to McLaren, then I guess there's a Ferrari seat opening up in the near future.

If Lewis can jump ship to Mercedes, then anything can happen.

It's heavily rumoured that Vettel is taking that spare Ferrari seat in 2014 and Ferrari are just sitting with Massa for another year because he's probably the cheapest/easiest option.

Mastah

The problem I see with Button and Perez pairing is that both are the same kind of driver, steady, take care of tyres but not blistering fast. One of these on a team is good, two could be a problem.

Perez is nothing like Button behind steering wheel. You only have to watch their onboards, sometimes it really blows my mind how aggressively Checo does it. That's why I'm his huge fan, I don't really care if he's super fast or only fast, I'm in love with what he is doing while he's racing, it's pure magic to my eyes :)

It's heavily rumoured that Vettel is taking that spare Ferrari seat in 2014 and Ferrari are just sitting with Massa for another year because he's probably the cheapest/easiest option.

I wonder where that leaves Heikki then :p
Sauber? lol

NHale

Poor di Resta. Seems his Mercedes future and Mclaren future dried up in one go.

McLaren was never going to sign him because he has the same manager as Jenson. And if what everyone is reporting is true (Alguersuari to Force India) then he could end up as reserve driver for Mercedes in 2013...

Igo

Holy shit! I kinda wanted Lewis to leave because he didn't seem happy or appriciated at McLaren, but damn, it sure is a fucking massive gamble. It's a fresh start in a new team and I really hope it works out for him.

Does anyone else suspect that Mercedes future in F1 was linked to Hamilton? Might be good for both of them, relaly. There's going to be massive pressure on both the team and Lewis to deliver results in 2014, though.

Leunam

Perez is nothing like Button behind steering wheel. You only have to watch their onboards, sometimes it really blows my mind how aggressively Checo does it. That's why I'm his huge fan, I don't really care if he's super fast or only fast, I'm in love with what he is doing while he's racing, it's pure magic to my eyes :)

He really is quite good. It really seems like Perez has gotten the most out of the Sauber. Button himself admitted that he would have gotten a great result if the McLaren treated the tires the way the Sauber chassis does. Think it was around Monza he said that.

Holy shit! I kinda wanted Lewis to leave because he didn't seem happy or appriciated at McLaren, but damn, it sure is a fucking massive gamble. It's a fresh start in a new team and I really hope it works out for him.

It is. I wonder if he expects the playing field to be closer together once the 2014 regulations come into play.

NHale

Ok after a couple of boring years regarding driver movement, it seems the craziness has started and the rumors are flying (so they are likely false).

It appears Alguersuari future will also be known today, according to the same people that mentioned the Perez to McLaren a couple of hours before the Telegraph. This means he will probably take his 10M (Cepsa money) to Sauber and not Force India.

keit4

Banned
Woah, if Perez is replacing Lewis at McLaren, i won't mind to see the brit going to Mercedes. Checo can do great things with a competitive car :O

Deadman

If ferrari keep massa and let perez go to mclaren they need their heads examined.

Its pretty sad about schumacher, but to me he retired in 2006.

Chris R

Perez or Button for the title next season then if cars perform similar to how they are this year. Total downgrade for Hammy :(

To be fair to hamilton, he's looking at the long term, there are changes coming to the regs soon (2014) and Brawn's new team of Costa, Willis and Elliot is something that sounds damn interesting if they are going to tailor a car to Lewis Hamilton. Also change is good :D

Massa

I really doubt Alonso would hire Vettel for a teammate.

I really, really think Hamilton could regret that move. Seems it's better to be at an inconsistent McLaren than Mercedes who are consistently in the midfield. I suppose it could be like Schumi moving to Ferrari and turning them around, but I'll believe it when I see it. Still, madness!

TCRS

Banned
Mercedes? That's going to end badly for Hamilton...

And Vettel to Ferrari with Alonso still in the team? Are you guys forgetting Alonso vs. Hamilton at McLaren in 2007? Alonso is never going to accept it unless he is No 1.

(damn that was five years ago... time flies)

Shaneus

Yeah, I honestly don't see this ending well for Hamilton at all. Even when McLaren haven't won the constructors or WDC, they've always been in the running. Mercedes are still largely unproven and at this point in the season are being dominated Lotus-Renault.

It's not like it's a team he can join to help build them up or whatever... if they couldn't do that with Schumacher and his years of experience, then they won't with any driver. But perhaps it's a case of a temperamental driver joining a temperamental team. If it takes them a while to get in sync, it could wind up being a long time before they're consistently on the podium.

And I wonder if that will affect his driving for the remainder of the year? I can't imagine being too enthusiastic about driving for your team with that sort of thing coming up (let alone the attitude of your crew and teammate).

Top Bottom