• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Dilly

Banned
I find the complaining about the long safety car periods quite funny to be honest.

When they shortened the SC periods by not letting lapped cars unlap themselves, we had a situation like in Monaco last year where there were backmarkers meddling with the front runners.

Now we can't have this situation anymore, people again complain about the length of the SC period.

I like it the way it is now.

Ark

Really, what team would have given him better finishes than that?

You're not getting the point, I'm not referring to previous years at all. The future and the now is all that matters in F1.

The only thing that matters in F1 is winning. Finishing second is to only lose, linking back to previous years where he hasn't won the title is pointless. Who cares where you finish if not for winning? After six years of only winning once you can't blame him for wanting to try his hand elsewhere.

Mercedes has a very competent team, the funding will come in, the speculated works team advantage in 2014, and also less sponsor work which I think is something Hamilton has complained about in the past.

Dilly

Banned
Even if that happens, Hamilton is almost guaranteed a seat at a top team.

Which would be, RBR? I doubt McLaren is going to take him back and he won't be racing next to Alonso.

Just speculation offcourse, could go either way though in my opinion.

NHale

Which would be, RBR? I doubt McLaren is going to take him back and he won't be racing next to Alonso.

Just speculation offcourse, could go either way though in my opinion.

Of course they will. Everyone said the same about Alonso leaving Renault after 2 championships and him backstabbing the team and they still took him back after 1 year.

Of course they will. Everyone said the same about Alonso leaving Renault after 2 championships and him backstabbing the team and they still took him back after 1 year.

Well, Renault weren't exactly in a great position. If Lewis leaves and McLaren go on to have a great season next year with Jenson and Lewis' replacement, I don't think there would be any room for him should Merc go on to withdraw.

Dilly

Banned

I'd say it depends on how the team is doing, Renault was struggling hard that year.

Also, Briatore.

Schumi's getting a 10 place grid pen for Suzuka after the Vergne crash.

661226170.jpg

Deadman

Button didnt seem that bothered when he was asked about it, just a misunderstanding. Definitely wasnt calling for penalties

A penalty for Vettel would trully end the season.

Alonso would be more than 50 points ahead of Räikkönen and the others and only 6 races.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad lapped cars get out of the way during the safety car. Always hated when there were slower cars between the leaders on the restart.

Dilly

Banned
Left the track to overtake just like vettel did, how is this different

Vettel straightened his wheel on the runoff to get better traction out of the hairpin to put him in a better position to overtake Button.

Webber stays as close to Kobayashi as he can. I don't think he even went of the curb.

Chris R

Terrible result for Hammy :( Still might have a chance at the championship but I'm thinking Vettel is a lock now with his recent drives since Alonso doesn't have the car.

Omiee

Terrible result for Hammy :( Still might have a chance at the championship but I'm thinking Vettel is a lock now with his recent drives since Alonso doesn't have the car.

What are you talking about this is his first win since bahrain.

Alonso is a lock for the championship.

Deadman

Vettel straightened his wheel on the runoff to get better traction out of the hairpin to put him in a better position to overtake Button.

Webber stays as close to Kobayashi as he can. I don't think he even went of the curb.

He did go outside the white lines though.

Igo

What are you talking about this is his first win since bahrain.

Alonso is a lock for the championship.
Yup.

The only one who could challenge him was Lewis and this retirement pretty much puts an end to that.

Vettel has absolutely no chance unless both Lewis and Jenson decide that they'll move over and give up any potential race win to Seb, which we all know is never going to happen.

Alonso is not a lock by any stretch of the imagination.

All he needs is one bad race and he'll be within 3 points of Vettel. This championship is still a massive fight.

Fruitster

If Ferrari don't improve their car pretty quickly, Alonso will get overhauled before Brazil. Podiums won't do the job if Hamilton and Vettel keep winning. Sooner or later they'll reel him in. The guy can only do so much when the car he's driving is clearly no match for Mclaren or Red Bull. 150 points still up for grabs so it's far from over. Hopefully Ferrari can pull their socks up and give him a decent chance of at least challenging Mclaren and Red Bull at Suzuka and Korea.

Wondered where the F1 thread went!

The Ferrari was over a second slower than Mclaren and the Red Bull, there won't be much updates from now till the end of the season. Championship is wide open.

Fruitster

I personally think people are underestimating the Ferrari too much mowadays.

People are also understating how much better the Mclaren and Red Bull cars are over the rest of the field. If Mclaren had better reliability and made less mistakes this season, Hamilton would be out of sight, even with that mid season slump. To a lesser extent, the same for Vettel. Alonso is only in the hunt for the title through a combination of others errors and inconsistency, him making the most of chances that came his way and some great drives. Alonso has no business leading the championship in that car when all of his championship rivals are in clearly faster cars.

Xun

I'm not saying the Ferrari is on par with the McLaren or Red Bull, but it's certainly not a piece of shit to drive anymore.

Dilly

Banned
Not in Singapore, Spa or Monza, even Massa is not that bad anymore.

Alonso was 6th in qualy in Spa and still no match for the McLaren in Monza. The car was slower than RBR and McLaren this race.

Spa and Monza are also special tracks compared to the rest of the calendar.

I'm not saying the Ferrari is on par with the McLaren or Red Bull, but it's certainly not a piece of shit to drive anymore.

Yes, but not being a piece of shit is not enough to win championships.

Fruitster

Hopefully Ferrari can up their game at Suzuka. A very different track to Singapore so hopefully Fernando will be back to monza pace. I sure hope Hamilton has better luck too. I want Alonso to take the title, but if not him then i'd like Lewis to win it.

Shaneus

Oh, you have to be kidding me. Webber penalty?!?

Does Sunhi have a gif of the overtake? I didn't see it myself, but all reports indicate that he was still on the track when the overake took place.

Fucking bullshit. Guy just can't fucking catch a break. Shit call.

This is the one he made at the time

untitled-16rzu80.gif

Those runoff areas are very tricky.. either put a frikin wall or some gravel ..

I don't think its fair to be honest, he used the "outside" line and if had the speed to overtake that means he's truly faster and deserves the position

This might not apply to all incidents but for this one in particular I think its so unfair to penalize Webber.

Yep. Outside of Mclaren I say it is pretty much impossible to tell what is the second best car at the moment. In Monza Ferrari was faster than Red Bull and now in Singapore other way around. Hell in Monza Sauber was crazy fast and now didn't stand a chance against top teams. Weiiiiird season.

Shaneus

Those runoff areas are very tricky.. either put a frikin wall or some gravel ..

I don't think its fair to be honest, he used the "outside" line and if had the speed to overtake that means he's truly faster and deserves the position

This might not apply to all incidents but for this one in particular I think its so unfair to penalize Webber.
I think technically he went over, but I still think it's quite rough to penalise him for it. I mean, there are obvious cases where there's just asphalt and an obvious speed advantage, but he loses traction on it and it's possible he figured Kobay would give him room. Definitely wasn't like he saw there was extra track and just went for it.

Really quite shit :/

PS. That photo's spectacular. Love it. Shame for Vergne, but it's great that at least Ricciardo finished in the points. Vergne was running behind him most of the race, wasn't he?

Top Bottom