• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Shaneus

I love that every time I see their name mentioned in that statement, all I hear is the respective person yelling.

"I AM VERY HAPPY TO BE JOINING MERCEDES AMG PERTRONAS FOR THE 2013 SEASON. THANK YOU."

But still, I honestly don't see Lewis getting a single victory next year with Mercedes. Possibly one or two but it'll be at least two years after 2012 before he's in the running for WDC again.

Edit: Schumacher back to Ferrari could be fucking awesome. I don't really see him stepping to a clear midfield team like Sauber.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I suppose, reaching out from this news, is what will happen to RBR and thier talent?

If Vettel to Ferrari happens which seems likrly now with Massa on 1 yr deal, who will replace Webber and Vettel for 2014?
Will the talent, Newey, stay to build the team up again with new drivers or will he leave to go to Ferrari?

In your dreams or for real?

Its sounds like Perez is breaking away from Telmex and Sauber will then sign Esteban Gutiérrez to keep that sweet Mexican money. Obviously that means Kobiyashi is out of Sauber too as previosly rumoured.

Just a guess.

Bianchi replaces di Resta at Force India who switch from Mercedes to Ferrari engines, those freed up Mercs go to Sauber along with Schuey.

Hammer24

Banned
Sauber are going to need a driver with lots of money.

They will loose a lot with the departure of Perez :(

There is a good argument, that this years drivers, inexperienced drivers as they are, cost Sauber more money than they brought. If they had finished on the places they were at the time they crashed, it would have been several millions in FIA money more than the sponsorhips.
MSC knows he can only drive next year for decidedly less money. He knows Peter very well. He even lives close to the team. Lets wait and see...

Septimius

I am so conflicted :(

Right now I'm devastated that Schumacher won't continue in Mercedes. Of course I can hope that he'll continue elsewhere, but.. I.. :'(

navanman

As mentioned on twitter and reading the Merc press release, it sounds like Scumacher was cut loose. It was rumoured he would announce retirement or get ambassadoral role in the team.

I see Lauda has been appointed chairman of the F1 team. Likely for his role in getting the team "historic" extra money in the new Concorde agreement.

navanman

Anyway looks like Eddie Jordan was right...

More info coming out. Perez's backer, Carlos Slim, is paying for the Mercedes engines in McLaren next year of which this money is going direct to Mercedes to pay for Hamilton.

Omiee

I suppose, reaching out from this news, is what will happen to RBR and thier talent?

If Vettel to Ferrari happens which seems likrly now with Massa on 1 yr deal, who will replace Webber and Vettel for 2014?
Will the talent, Newey, stay to build the team up again with new drivers or will he leave to go to Ferrari?

It will be so hard to root for ferrari if vettel joins them. I was so conflicted when my fav driver kimi went to ferrari.

I think Vettel should stay at RBR. Renault is still a good team to suply engines. But alonso and vettel in the same team will be amazing to watch

Igo

Newey won't go to Ferrari. His wife doesn't want to leave the UK. Everything else is up in the air.

I'm really curious if Red Bull turned Lewis down to resign Webber. Would really be a strange decision if there really is some sort of understanding that Vettel will leave for 2014.

operon

The worst part of this news is not knowing whats going to happen with Michael. For the talk about how capable Nico is Michael has got the measure of him lately. Ferrari should ship massa of to Sauber and get Schumi for the year. Give them practice if they really are going to have Vettel and Alonso together

Juicy Bob

Schumacher needs to retire. Permanently. He's had his time. He's won SEVEN World Championships. He's in his Fourties. Yes, he can still drive, but he's no longer at his best and never will be. Time for him to move aside and let the future generation have a chance.

Hammer24

Banned
I'm really curious if Red Bull turned Lewis down to resign Webber.

RBR has never been in the running for HAM. His deal with Merc stands since early June.

Ferrari should ship massa of to Sauber and get Schumi for the year. Give them practice if they really are going to have Vettel and Alonso together

MSC ego is too big to drive with someone he knows is better right now. He´s either retiring, or going to Sauber alongside some paydude. If he´s not waiting too long, I´d say the latter.

Schumacher needs to retire. Permanently. He's had his time. He's won SEVEN World Championships. He's in his Fourties. Yes, he can still drive, but he's no longer at his best and never will be. Time for him to move aside and let the future generation have a chance.

How many great champions, no matter of what sport, do you know that found the right moment to retire? As long as he´s still having fun driving, there´ll be a team that takes him for the PR and his experience alone.

pappe

Signing any driver for 1 year and firing Massa would actually turn out a LOT more expensive for Ferrari.

First they will have to buyout the remainder of Massa's contract. Then pay huge sign on fees to Schumi and i am also sure Schumi's wages will be a lot more. Not worth to spend unnecessary millions for a no.2 driver.

Vettel and Alonso in the same team. Sounds way too good but neither of them 2 will be happy or satisfied with a no.2 driver spot. Both will want the whole team behind them and could lead to clashes.

EDIT: If Vettel does come to Ferrari who will RBR sign? Riccardo or Vergne?

TCRS

Banned

Aye. He should never have come back, I said that three years ago. His comeback was simply rubbish and has dented his legendary status severely. I was in tears when he retired in 2006, but wasn't happy about his comeback at all.

And I don't see this Vettel/Alonso thing working out. Hamilton/Alonso didn't work in 2007 and I don't think either wants to be No 2 or equal driver. Both of them are used to be No 1.

Ark

EDIT: If Vettel does come to Ferrari who will RBR sign? Riccardo or Vergne?

Neither.

The Red Bull driver program was doomed the moment Vettel stepped into F1. Everyone in the program is expected to be as good as Vettel is, which simply isn't possible.

Nevasleep

I wonder when Hamilton signed the contract.
Can't blame him, not sure he'll be more successful, but at least he'll feel in control.

operon

Biggest loser in this besides Schumi has to be Nico, one race win compared to a former WDC. Lewis mostly likely will be definitely number one there

navanman

I wonder when Hamilton signed the contract.
Can't blame him, not sure he'll be more successful, but at least he'll feel in control.
Its said he signed after the Singapore GP.
If he hadn't had the gearbox failure I feel he would have stayed with McLaren and would have been strong favourite for the drivers title along with Alonso.

Septimius

The worst part of this news is not knowing whats going to happen with Michael. For the talk about how capable Nico is Michael has got the measure of him lately. Ferrari should ship massa of to Sauber and get Schumi for the year. Give them practice if they really are going to have Vettel and Alonso together

Absolutely. I'm pretty shaken up.

"Not at his best" is still miles better than most of the field. Of course, it can be some sort of loose comparison now that Hammy goes to Mercedes next year. We'll see how he fairs against Rosberg. And Schumacher has been consistently better than Rosberg lately. He leads the qualy-battle, all times they've raced, he's been in an equal or better position than Rosberg. Only exception to that was last weekend, but we weren't able to see that fully play out. Could've been another India 2011, where Schumacher looked to be beat by Rosberg, but Schumacher did what Schumacher does best, and pulled something exceptional out of the hat for the last part of the race.

I've seen so many times showing how fucking bad-ass but fair Schumacher is. All his battles are so firm. He just overtakes you. He doesn't do what Hamilton did up to 2012, just throw his car on the inside and say "this is my space" and hope it didn't end badly, which it did. Well, he even did that in Valencia. No, Schumacher comes at you with a force, and when he does a passing maneuver, it's usually exceptionally "firmly" executed. All his defensive maneuvers are of the same character. You can't just pass him. And then, when he realizes he's unable to keep them behind, like if his tyres are shot, he doesn't resist.

Even if Hamilton is leagues better, or leagues worse, or leagues the same as Rosberg next year, we still can't decide Schumacher's comparative pace. I know that Schumacher is in essence the same that he was in his reign. But the game isn't the same anymore. Did anyone else see the GPUpdate 2000 Suzuka Quali battle video? Did anyone notice the way Schumacher just hustles that car around the esses? It's just amazing the way he drove that car. It fit his style. Decisive. The game these years are driving on a delta time, taking care of tyres. Biding your time. It's not like Schumacher isn't a good strategist like that. He is. He so often beat Hakkinnen on pit-stop strategy - biding his time, saving his tyres, then blasting through when Hakkinnen pitted. He does the same now. I watch all his in out laps on live timing.

And everyone wants Schumacher to win. We saw the massive support everyone gave him at Monaco. Everyone was just straight up respectful of his pole. Everyone acknowledged his fantastic performance. He's up there. He just needs the car.

So no, he doesn't need to retire permanently. He's a fucking fantastic contribution to the sport. And that regardless of his comparative capabilities. Which it always should be. Stop focusing on comparing people to their pasts. He's doing an exceptional job. He's one of the better drivers in the most prestigious motor racing league on the planet.

Aye. He should never have come back, I said that three years ago. His comeback was simply rubbish and has dented his legendary status severely.

The fact that this is about status voids your opinion to me. Schumacher showed me that status is nothing if you're not happy. He's been happy with his life for the last three years, and you can say he's done that at the expense of his status. But it hasn't dented it severely by any means. It has shown everyone a different side of Schumacher. And it has been invaluable to me, to see my hero showing me that fuck everyone else. You can do what you want. Sitting back and floating on your legendary status is for lazy people and whimps. Schumacher gave it his all, and that's admirable. I don't give a shit about his status or what people think of him now compared to if he hadn't come back. The fact that he showed me that he didn't become a legend because he wanted to become a legend, through the fact that he doesn't mind if this dents it or not, puts him higher in my mind. That's what I admire him for.

AcridMeat

Banned
It's almost 4am I thought I was reading fictional rumors. Crazy news.

Early predictions, Perez has more success his first year with the team than Button did his first year with McL and makes Hamilton a sad man.

MEGATON!!!

What a surprise.. totally unexpected!!!!!!

The bigger shock is Perez to McLaren! I never actually gave it a thought of who would replace Hamilton there as it all seemed like a long shot

I'm really shocked!

Ark

:D

Will McLaren give Hammy the new car upgrades?

McLaren are still saying they're going to push Hamilton for the title. They'll just have to excommunicate him from developments and such.

The title still go down on McLaren's record, no reason why they wouldn't want them.

Hammer24

Banned
Since you seem to know a lot of details, is it true that the letter of intent was only valid if Mercedes got the historical "benefits" from the Concorde Agreement?

The other way around. The F1 team was only allowed by the board to execute the loi, when they got the "cofinancing". They got the ca changes they wanted, got a better engine deal with MCL, and switching from FI to Sauber should become a boon as well.
Smiles all around :)

The sad thing is that Hamilton would have stayed at McLaren if they promised him true number one status like Merc have just done. It was never really about the money, it was about McLaren putting Button and Hamilton as equals, when it is clear they are not. Perez is going to beat the shit out of Button next season and I can't wait to see how awesome he will be there. McLaren have lost their best driver for some sense of fair play, now lets see if they keep that charade going and lets see if Whitmarsh is true to his word and doesn't favour his golden boy over Perez. I don't see it, Whitmarsh has ruined McLaren's chances of winning a WDC by pushing Hamilton out of the team and favouring Button, what would be sweet is Lewis bringing it back and winning the WDC and then leaving for Merc.

navanman

McLaren are still saying they're going to push Hamilton for the title. They'll just have to excommunicate him from developments and such.

The title still go down on McLaren's record, no reason why they wouldn't want them.

McLaren have a great chance to win the WCC title for first time in over a decade. They would be foolish to let that slip.

Top Bottom