• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

dubc35

wow, just woke up to the news, crazy! Hamilton was obviously rumored for a while but perez was a surprise. A good move by McL imo.

I'm really sorry for Ron Dennis, one miserable title in 6 years, sypgate, he lost Alonso, he lost his baby Hamilton.... way to mismanage two of the best talents in the last 10 years.

Not since DC and Mika were there that things seemed smooth. Almost every driver has left McLaren unhappy with how they run their ship. They really need to understand what they're doing wrong.

NHale

They've had Kobayashi for three years without him bringing any sponsorship money, so I don't see why they'd suddenly demand it now when they can just replace Perez with another lucrative driver like Guitierrez or Schumacher or even Alguersuari.

And I flat out disagree with the second bit. The way a few are going about it makes it seem like he's been a liability like Maldonado in his first year. He's really not.

They also had Telmex/Carlos Slim money + Ferrari engine discount with Perez driving for them. Without Perez they lost Telmex, so Gutierrez is definitely out of the picture.

Alguersuari is believed to have 10M on the bag. Spanish media believes he's going to Force India however the rest of the rumors link him to Sauber (his tweet today at 0.00 as soon as the rumors about Perez to McLaren appeared is another sign).

Maybe I didn't explain it well enough, but what I wanted to say is that Kobayashi's performance (Perez has nearly 2x more pts than him) is not enough to convince the team to turn down other drivers with talent that also bring money with them.

Also Button has never followed Hamilton.

He followed him until late last year. Not important imo. Teammates don't have to be friends they just need to have a working relationship.

Hammer24

Banned
If someone wants to do that, I'd be more than happy, but I don't have Photoshop installed and Paint is a pain :p

Just for you - if you like it:

arksfjbu.jpg

G-Unit

Aye. He should never have come back, I said that three years ago. His comeback was simply rubbish and has dented his legendary status severely. I was in tears when he retired in 2006, but wasn't happy about his comeback at all.

And I don't see this Vettel/Alonso thing working out. Hamilton/Alonso didn't work in 2007 and I don't think either wants to be No 2 or equal driver. Both of them are used to be No 1.

shut up, His legend carries on!

Amazed Ferrari let Perez go! Real talent is few and far between at the moment, the lower formulas are a black hole for talent.

Have you been reading the last few pages? In case you you haven't, it's been mentioned countless times that Vettel is moving to Ferrari in 2014 so it's pointless to sign Perez for one season (not to mention expensive)

Wow. I can't believe Ferrari will be stuck with Massa for another season. GG Perez and McLaren though.

They will ride out Massa for another year and then push for Vettel. Ferrari wants Vettel.

Schumacher won't goto Ferrari for 1 year just to replace Massa and then get pushed out by Vettel.

I'll miss Michael for sure. It was really nice to have him around for the past 3 seasons. He brought a ton of personality to the sport.

Chris R

MSC should join Rubens here in America for a year or two :D
Not really... because I don't think he would have the car to do anything and would further tarnish his legacy

Wish the move news wasn't true but whatever. Still like Hammy but I honestly think he won't get much done at Merc.

Off to find a Perez avatar I guess...

Ark

It still shocks me that people think Schumacher has 'tarnished' his legacy. I can't fathom how you can legitimately come to that conclusion.

It still shocks me that people think Schumacher has 'tarnished' his legacy. I can't fathom how you can legitimately come to that conclusion.

Probably people who didn't like him already finding a way to rag on him.

Anyone with a working brain knows better.

Seriously. It's not like his titles and records are less impressive now. You can't expect anyone to do well in such a terrible car like the Mercedes.

Pimpwerx

Well I'm pretty stoked at this news. I wanted Lewis to jump ship since the silly season rumors started. I'm not pleased with what McLaren's had to offer him, and I guess neither was he.

Those saying this is a poor decision are being a bit silly. A works team with tons of funding and a commitment to the new engine regs is a great place to be. They're currently behind Macca, but things change quickly in F1. I don't expect that status to remain for long.

I trust this gives Lewis considerably more money-making opportunities both in salary and endorsements. He's also good friends with Nico, and has good team directors in Brawn and Haug. It's gonna be great cheering on the Silver Arrows once again. My McLaren support ends with Lewis' contract.

I'm excited for the future. This is a fresh new start for Lewis, and he can truly build his legacy now.

Macca did fine signing Perez, but that's like swapping a Bugatti for a Mazda. They're gonna miss Lewis' pace.

Hopefully Lewis can make a final charge to grab the WDC and shuttle the #1 off to Merc next year. Fly Silver Arrows, fly! PEACE.

Fruitster

Andrew Benson simply said "possible, yeah" when I asked him about the idea of Kobayashi being left out in the cold.

:(

:( :( :( Kobayashi not having a seat in F1 would be a terrible shame. The guy is entertainment every GP weekend.

On Hamilton, suprised, but with the 2014 regs it could be an inspired move. Either way good luck to him, hopefully he'll find the success he's looking for at Mercedes.

gunther

GREAT NEWS!!!.

Button and perezare can make a great couple, Perez has lots of talent while button has a lot of experience, plus The driving style of Button and Perez are a lot closer than Button and Hamilton helping McLaren with the building and setup of the car.

AcridMeat

Banned
Can't say I'd be surprised about losing Kobay at this point as depressing as that would be. Did he ever find permanent living space? Hey Kobayashi I've got a comfy couch here.

Yeah well, when MSC left winning 2 WDC with benneton to leave to a ferrari that hadn't produced a world champion since 1979, people said the same thing, with Ron Dennis really wanting to sign him on McLaren.

Pimpwerx

Yeah well, when MSC left winning 2 WDC with benneton to leave to a ferrari that hadn't produced a world champion since 1979, people said the same thing, with Ron Dennis really wanting to sign him on McLaren.

Hell yeah. They laughed during the '96 season, as that car failed him so many times. It was a really quick turnaround.

There's at least one link to that team at Mercedes, with Brawn. And I'm guessing Schuey will keep his ties with the firm, and be able to offer some support too. Plus, Merc is a fully in-house works team, like Ferrari. I wish I knew what their pitch was to him. PEACE.

I'm bummed because this means Mclaren is unlikely to win either title for quite some time. :(

I'm happy, McLaren is out of the race next year due to their drivers, Mercedes look to be focusing on 2014 onwards from now so the only realistic favorites for next year are Vettel and Alonso, and maybe Kimi if Lotus managed to bring another good car next year

There are several possible scenarios for The Old One:
- final retirement & complete exit from racing
- final retirement & staying at Mercedes as consultant or with other role or leaving Mercedes for Ferrari and work there
- one more year of racing at some other team
- one or more year of racing in some other racing sport (endurance, DTM...)

I would love to see him take a management role........ at Ferrari

You forgot to mention that Schumacher needed over 4 years until he won his first WDC title with Ferrari and it was not just Schumacher but all the engineering know-how from Benetton (Ross Brown and Rory Byrne).

Just a good driver is not enough to improve a team.

Hell yeah. They laughed during the '96 season, as that car failed him so many times. It was a really quick turnaround.

There's at least one link to that team at Mercedes, with Brawn. And I'm guessing Schuey will keep his ties with the firm, and be able to offer some support too. Plus, Merc is a fully in-house works team, like Ferrari. I wish I knew what their pitch was to him. PEACE.

BBC Sport's chief F1 writer Andrew Benson said:
"First of all, Hamilton appears to have lost faith in McLaren's ability to deliver world championships.

"Secondly, Mercedes have pitched him a hard sell - they have argued that Ross Brawn is building a similar dynasty with them to the one he built with Ferrari, who dominated the early 2000s under him.

"They want to build that dynasty around Hamilton. They have also offered slightly more money than McLaren and more freedom to do personal sponsorship deals. It's quite a gamble, though, for a man who professes he 'just wants to win'."

Probably something like that. It might be a gamble for Lewis, but Mercedes are capable of producing a race winning car, whether that they can build a car that can win the championship I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if Mercedes are competing for the WDC in 2014, I probably expect them to now with the addition of Lewis.

Ferrari's dedication to the sport is absolute, but Mercedes seems far less sure. I could see a couple more seasons of disappointment and having the team crumble under him.

Deadman

F1 show is starting on sky. I imagine it will have interviews with quite a few people, judging by what theyve been saying on twitter today.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
You forgot to mention that Schumacher needed over 4 years until he won his first WDC title with Ferrari and it was not just Schumacher but all the engineering know-how from Benetton (Ross Brown and Rory Byrne).

Just a good driver is not enough to improve a team.

Ross is slowly building his new dream team and they are putting all their cards to 2014 season and new engine regs, which could suit Mercedes very well (lots of experience with turbo charged "small" engines)

I, for one, am pumped for Button/Perez team.

I would like to see schumi as part of management/development role. Maybe help out one of the lesser teams.

Adamm

Is it not a really bad idea for a team to replace a driver at the start of 2014, with the new engines surely all team will want some consistency with their drivers.

Ferrari have never been one for taking on Young inexperienced drivers, but waiting another year to replace Massa is a big mistake.

NHale

Michael should replace Domenicali at Ferrari.

Why do you hate Ferrari so much? LOL.

Is it not a really bad idea for a team to replace a driver at the start of 2014, with the new engines surely all team will want some consistency with their drivers.

Ferrari have never been one for taking on Young inexperienced drivers, but waiting another year to replace Massa is a big mistake.

Which scenario would you chose: a) Perez in 2013 or b) Massa in 2013 and Vettel in 2014?

Draconian

I still don't see how Ferrari expect Alonso and Vettel to work well together as teammates. I mean, yeah, it sounds great on paper, but they've never seemed to have gotten along very well with each other.

I still don't see how Ferrari expect Alonso and Vettel to work well together as teammates. I mean, yeah, it sounds great on paper, but they've never seemed to have gotten along very well with each other.

Alonso is a fair bit older than Vettel and if you look down the food chain, there's not too many people in a position to be the next big thing, let alone actually be the next big thing, so I figure Ferrari consider a few years of potential difficulty a worthy risk in order to secure Vettel before anyone else does.

If there is an agreement at all, that is.

Silly season early thoughts:

McLaren: Button/Perez
Red Bull: Vettel/Webber
Ferrari: Alonso/Kovalainen
Mercedes: Hamilton/Rosberg
Lotus: Raikkonen/Hulkenberg
Force India: Alguersuari/di Resta
Sauber: Massa/some pay driver
Williams: Maldonado/another pay driver
Toro Rosso: Vergne/Ricciardo
Caterham: Petrov/de la Rosa
Marussia: Glock/Grosjean
HRT: Out of business :p

And that's that.

Jinjo

Surprising and again not so surprising. Sometimes you just need something new I guess. Future will show how this move turns out, expecting no miracles soon, but who knows with the new engine rules in 2014. In the meantime it'll be fun to so what he'll do with a so-so Merc. It's definitely got potential though with the recent long term commitment of Mercedes to F1 and not to mention having Ross Brawn at the helm. We'll see I guess.

In the meantime I'll gladly welcome Perez at McLaren (good move by him). Kid's got talent and we still got Button yo. It's cool.

It's slightly sad to see him leave though. Will take a bit to get used to not seeing him at McLaren. :p

Top Bottom