• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Is it not a really bad idea for a team to replace a driver at the start of 2014, with the new engines surely all team will want some consistency with their drivers.

Ferrari have never been one for taking on Young inexperienced drivers, but waiting another year to replace Massa is a big mistake.

What consistency? Everyone will have to get used to the turbo engines all over again just like they had to get used to heavier cars due to refuel ban and tires that degrade whenever they feel like it.

Risgroo

Silly season early thoughts:

McLaren: Button/Perez
Red Bull: Vettel/Webber
Ferrari: Alonso/Kovalainen
Mercedes: Hamilton/Rosberg
Lotus: Raikkonen/Hulkenberg
Force India: Alguersuari/di Resta
Sauber: Massa/some pay driver
Williams: Maldonado/another pay driver
Toro Rosso: Vergne/Ricciardo
Caterham: Petrov/de la Rosa
Marussia: Glock/Grosjean
HRT: Out of business :p

And that's that.

Isn't Petrov running out of money?

Cuddler

Hello to everyone! First post over here on F1-GAF! I'm a big Kimi fan (and Kobayashi too, but who isn't?) and in the past I was a fan of Senna and Irvine. The announcements today were so big, feels really weird for both Hamilton and Perez. I thought that Hamilton would stay in Mclaren for much more time. About Perez, I really don't understand why Ferrari haven't signed him. IMO it's really risky for Ferrari to have both Vettel and Alonso in 2014. What is going to happen if Alonso beat Vettel easily? I can imagine in 2015 it will be much more difficult for Vettel to regain his confidence. Talking about Mclaren again, is the deal for the Mercedes engines for the 2013 season done?

Shaneus

Isn't Petrov running out of money?
Yup :/ Russian Helicopters I think have pulled out, as well as an association with the Russian government (I think?). Either way, this could well be his last year in F1 if that manager of his doesn't pull some miracle out of her arse like she did this year.

Leunam

Welcome to the thread!

Vettel to 2014 isn't quite confirmed yet, I think. Some kind of pre-contract dealie but nothing full blown as far as I know. There was some speculation that with a smaller engine Honda may want to come back, but I don't think it got farther than just pure speculation. McLaren have to pay for their own engines soon, but again, speculation on whether that means they'll buy Mercedes engines or not. Someone even suggested they may build their own engines.

Risgroo

Yup :/ Russian Helicopters I think have pulled out, as well as an association with the Russian government (I think?). Either way, this could well be his last year in F1 if that manager of his doesn't pull some miracle out of her arse like she did this year.

Shame, I actually like the guy. DO SOMETHING PUTIN!

Also, if Kobayashi is left without a seat, we have to visit his sushi shop.

Cuddler

Welcome to the thread!

Vettel to 2014 isn't quite confirmed yet, I think. Some kind of pre-contract dealie but nothing full blown as far as I know. There was some speculation that with a smaller engine Honda may want to come back, but I don't think it got farther than just pure speculation. McLaren have to pay for their own engines soon, but again, speculation on whether that means they'll buy Mercedes engines or not. Someone even suggested they may build their own engines.

Thanks! Interesting, in fact on an italian tv show some months ago Ginacarlo Minardi hinted that there is a possibility that Mclaren will have the Ferrari engines next year. That would be crazy, I can't imagine the possible reaction from the Mclaren fans.

Septimius

There's some memento mori for me about Schumacher's situation. I'd really love to see him stay with Merc to like 2015, because I know he can win a WDC with the right car and he'd deserve to be there when that happens with the time he's put in, but good ol' time makes fools of us all. I'm sad, because this time it's so irrevocable. I guess it's just another lesson in letting life be life, and trying to shift focus on being as involved as I have been with Schumacher (I can literally turn off a race if Schumacher is out. I really only watch full laps in practices if it's following Schumacher), because it's made the sport ever so much more fun for me. No one has been so different to everyone else, yet so dominant. Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso will pretty much drive similar looking laps, personalities of their cars aside, but I still find Schumacher doing something slightly different from everyone else in some corners here and there. It just reminds me so of Spain GP 1996.

New engines to be scrapped

"I listened to the noise of the engines in Maranello the other day, the new engine and the old engine, and even Luca di Montezemolo (Ferrari Chairman) said it sounded terrible and didn't like it," Christian Sylt quotes the 81-year-old as saying.

Ecclestone is confident that FIA president Jean Todt and Di Montezemolo will agree to at least delaying the engines which have spiralled in cost, despite F1 entering a budget reducing era.

"[Todt] will get rid of it," he said, adding: "I think Luca is also saying we should suspend it for two or three years. I think it is sensible to get rid of it and stick with what we have got. It is much cheaper than the new one. It probably could be 30% of the price."

LOL @ Hamilton if he gambled on the new engines

Ecclestone is confident that FIA president Jean Todt and Di Montezemolo will agree to at least delaying the engines which have spiralled in cost, despite F1 entering a budget reducing era.

It's amazing to me people complain about rampant budgets while never giving teams more than a year or two of consistent regulations. Turbos are neat but smaller engines are dumb, so I'll be glad if this is true.

Foshy

And that's that.
Pretty sure Grosjean is staying with Lotus, Bouiller said so. Also, I hope to see some new faces coming from GP2.

Shaneus

There's some memento mori for me about Schumacher's situation. I'd really love to see him stay with Merc to like 2015, because I know he can win a WDC with the right car and he'd deserve to be there when that happens with the time he's put in, but good ol' time makes fools of us all. I'm sad, because this time it's so irrevocable. I guess it's just another lesson in letting life be life, and trying to shift focus on being as involved as I have been with Schumacher (I can literally turn off a race if Schumacher is out. I really only watch full laps in practices if it's following Schumacher), because it's made the sport ever so much more fun for me. No one has been so different to everyone else, yet so dominant. Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso will pretty much drive similar looking laps, personalities of their cars aside, but I still find Schumacher doing something slightly different from everyone else in some corners here and there. It just reminds me so of Spain GP 1996.
I love what you've written, quite passionate but actually said with some eloquence and quite a degree of control. I'd probably have similar feelings about Webber once he's out.

I don't know whether you were referring to motorsports in general or just F1, but Sebastien Loeb has been far more dominant in WRC than Schumacher ever was in his respective series. I honestly can't think of anyone who has been such a clear, consistent standout against their competitors for so long. He's pulling back on the reigns this year, too.

Ark

Regardless of whether the usual Bernie hypocrisy is true or not, Hamilton's move to Mercedes is still a move that could win him titles. We'll see.

Ark

Yeah because engines win races now... oh wait!

I doubt the move was about the engines. The move would have been heavily weighted by the team Mercedes has assembled and the foundations they've set over the last few years, this year especially.

It's a shame we have to wait another week before we can get all the media paddock interviews on the matter :(

New engines to be scrapped

LOL @ Hamilton if he gambled on the new engines

The new engines never made sense to me. Ok, so they're shooting for a more Eco-friendly image(lol) but developing completely new engines costs a lot of money in a sport that has been trying to reduce costs in nearly a decade.

I'm all for keeping the V8s a little longer, but just raise the damn limiter FFS.

Edit: reading the article, gotta love how this has Ferrari International Assistance written all over it.

jey_16

Banned
I guess the other thing this deal makes me think off is where does this leave Red Bull? If Vettel is going to Ferrari which seems more certain now then ever, im surprised they didn't make a stronger pitch to Hamilton and pair him with Vettel next year and then sign some young gun for 2014 when Vettel leaves. Now come 2014, who are they left with? Webber isn't exactly a spring chicken anymore....

Shaneus

I guess the other thing this deal makes me think off is where does this leave Red Bull? If Vettel is going to Ferrari which seems more certain now then ever, im surprised they didn't make a stronger pitch to Hamilton and pair him with Vettel next year and then sign some young gun for 2014 when Vettel leaves. Now come 2014, who are they left with? Webber isn't exactly a spring chicken anymore....
Thing with Webber is, though, is that he's not shown any signs of driving worse than he has any other year. Most would usually have displayed some kind of drop in performance at this stage of their career, but he's as good a driver as he's ever been IMO. I still think he has a good 3-4 years in him at a top-tier team at least.

tumblr_maetg715QR1qlt7lao9_500.gif

Thing with Webber is, though, is that he's not shown any signs of driving worse than he has any other year. Most would usually have displayed some kind of drop in performance at this stage of their career, but he's as good a driver as he's ever been IMO. I still think he has a good 3-4 years in him at a top-tier team at least.

tumblr_mb0mcc9H5w1qgnn8y.gif

Hello to everyone! First post over here on F1-GAF! I'm a big Kimi fan (and Kobayashi too, but who isn't?) and in the past I was a fan of Senna and Irvine. The announcements today were so big, feels really weird for both Hamilton and Perez. I thought that Hamilton would stay in Mclaren for much more time. About Perez, I really don't understand why Ferrari haven't signed him. IMO it's really risky for Ferrari to have both Vettel and Alonso in 2014. What is going to happen if Alonso beat Vettel easily? I can imagine in 2015 it will be much more difficult for Vettel to regain his confidence. Talking about Mclaren again, is the deal for the Mercedes engines for the 2013 season done?

what is if Alonso will face a similar year as 2007? Pretty silly question.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Edit: reading the article, gotta love how this has Ferrari International Assistance written all over it.

No wonder, Ferrari is only engine developer that is not happy with 2014 engine rules

Otherwise, i do not find Hindustan Times very reliable when comes to F1 news :p

Salamndar

I am a Mclaren fan and a Hamilton fan, I can understand why Hamilton wants to leave Mclaren for another Team ( Mercedes ).

I blame Mclaren for that, they kept falling short every year from taking the grand prize due to stupid silly mistakes, unreliability and bad decisions.

I do believe it is time for Hamilton to move on, but still Mercedes have not shown a capable car yet, not sure if the first year or 2 we'll see a wining car from Mercedes.

People who say that Hamilton ran to Mercedes for their engine is a little silly to be honest, any one can get Mercedes engine if they paid for, Mclaren had them and would have signed an extension with Mercedes if Hamilton demand it!

But I have never expected Perez for Mclaren, now that is a surprise indeed. should be awesome and interesting to see Perez with a capable car.

Hammer24

Banned
I highly doubt the new engines get postponed. The development for 2014´s is very far advanced, one could say in the finishing stages. No engine manufacturer wants to see this R&D costs blown in the wind.
Oh, and the Merc engine deal with MCL is done. It´d take a wonder to change that now.

Shaneus

Thing is, I don't know if what I wrote is because it's true or just because I'm a fanboy and am obviously biased. I'm pretty sure this is as good as he's driven his entire career (with the possible exception of 2010, but that may have been more car than him) and certainly hasn't had any kind of notable dropoff.

Hammer24

Banned
I doubt the move was about the engines.

I´d say it played a huge part.
When you´re a driver in 2014, in what kind of car would you like to sit? One with the customer engines, that probably get but the first iteration for all season? Or a car of an engine manufacturer, who´ll be updating and finetuning this engine all year long?

And that's that.

Ferrari: Alonso/Massa
Lotus: Raikkonen/Grosjean
Force India: Hulk/di Resta
Sauber: Kobyashi/Guitierrez
Williams: Maldonado/Bottas
Caterham: Kovalainen/Alguersuari
Marussia: Glock/Random Pay Driver
HRT: Clos/Random Pay Driver

My changes in bold obviously!

• Massa to keep his seat, better the devil you know.
  • Guitierrez to take use perez money assuming they don't need it at Mcclaren.
  • Senna gone, Bottas seems to be Williams' golden child.

Hammer24

Banned
Ferrari: Alonso/Massa
Lotus: Raikkonen/Grosjean
Force India: Hulk/di Resta
Sauber: Kobyashi/Guitierrez
Williams: Maldonado/Bottas
Caterham: Kovalainen/Alguersuari
Marussia: Glock/Random Pay Driver
HRT: Clos/Random Pay Driver
[/LIST]

I can´t see di Resta with Force India, with them switching away from Merc engines. I´d guess DIR and MSC at Sauber, HUL and ALG at FI.

I don't support the whole 'FIA - Ferrari link' thing, but I have to agree with you on this one.

With Schumacher out of Mercedes, my favourite F1 ad is suddenly not as relevant anymore :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMObqBKCTkM

That's an awesome ad :) thanks

I just replied to your post claiming Lewis gambled on engines, when it's really not a gamble moving to the team that makes the best engines on the grid. PEACE.

well not on current engines, but on future engines for 2014. Word around the paddock was that engines will be the biggest determining factor in the first few years of introducing them

Now I said if his move was encouraged by that, and now BE says they might be scrapped, well.... LOL

Cuddler

what is if Alonso will face a similar year as 2007? Pretty silly question.
?
I don't think it's a silly question, it's just one of the possibility that Ferrari have to take into consideration before doing a team with both drivers. Not sure what the problem is with my question, I wasn't suggesting that Alonso is much better than Vettel if that was the problem. I think both are really good drivers and with Hamilton and Kimi they represent the best in F1 right now.

NHale

Kimi Raikkonen. His contract with Lotus ends next year and he already has links with Red Bull since they sponsored him during his rally days.

?
I don't think it's a silly question, it's just one of the possibility that Ferrari have to take into consideration before doing a team with both drivers. Not sure what the problem is with my question, I wasn't suggesting that Alonso is much better than Vettel if that was the problem. I think both are really good drivers and with Hamilton and Kimi they represent the best in F1 right now.

They will have to adapt. Someone is going to beat the other but no one is going to dominate the other. And this is completely different than 2007. This time the intruder will be Vettel not Alonso. Hamilton was always the golden child at McLaren and of course the team liked him more than someone that just arrived. Now it will be the exact opposite with Alonso being the "preferred son".

However Ferrari is thinking in the future with this move, Vettel will be their driver for the next 10 years well after Alonso retires.

He seems to be the type of guy who would bow out before that drop happened, though. This year he was debating it a bit before re-signing with RB it seemed like in a BBC feature.

As much as I love Webber, I think 2013 will be his last year... :(

So I was discussing the moves last night with a few friends from work, we were all wondering what happens to Perez when he out qualifies and out scores Button. Hamilton was pushed out by Whitmarsh to protect his golden boy, I don't see how Perez will be immune from this and all of us came to the conclusion that Perez will find himself on his way out of McLaren half way through the 2014 season as Whitmarsh seeks to protect Button again.

Whitmarsh is going to drive McLaren racing into the ground, Ron Dennis needs to fuck him up and sack him.

neoanarch

So I was discussing the moves last night with a few friends from work, we were all wondering what happens to Perez when he out qualifies and out scores Button. Hamilton was pushed out by Whitmarsh to protect his golden boy, I don't see how Perez will be immune from this and all of us came to the conclusion that Perez will find himself on his way out of McLaren half way through the 2014 season as Whitmarsh seeks to protect Button again.

Whitmarsh is going to drive McLaren racing into the ground, Ron Dennis needs to fuck him up and sack him.

Perez won't out qualify Button at least not the first year. Kobayashi out qualified him in most of the races.

Kimi Raikkonen. His contract with Lotus ends next year and he already has links with Red Bull since they sponsored him during his rally days.

Redbull wanted Kimi in 2010 but for some reason they didn't even reach the contract negotiations phase, and ended up sponsoring him for his first year in his rally adventure.

They could've offered him for 2011 but they didn't, what will make them want him again after 3 years? I don't see it happening.

Kimi's place is at Lotus till the end of his career, which I don't foresee going beyond next year. Unless next year's Lotus was even better than this one and he challenges for WDC for real

Top Bottom