• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Adamm

And that is also being challenged by Bernie and Ferrari who want to extend the current engines for few more years if not scrapping the new V6s altogether

Yeah Ferrari have been against it since the start. Especially when original proposal was for 4 cylinder engines.

olore

Find it unlikely to scrap the blown sixes so late in it`s development. But still, this is Bernies kingdom...

mclaren777

I also think Lewis has made a foolish mistake.

Martin Whitmarsh said:
"Mercedes-Benz is a great partner of ours and they are a great team, but anyone leaving McLaren, who wants to win, I think that's a mistake because I have faith and belief in this team. Whether you measure it over the last four races, four years or 40 years, we're a fantastic team. I wouldn't advise anyone to leave McLaren if they want to win. But I've got to respect Lewis's decision and really wish him well."

Find it unlikely to scrap the blown sixes so late in it`s development. But still, this is Bernies kingdom...

I hope the engines don't change. On road cars where you do 60/70mph max then sure it makes sense to cut down etc etc.

In F1? Who gives a fucking shit. The engines should be loud, powerful and everything else. Taming the sport is such a stupid idea.

Whitmash is right. Look at all the titles McLaren won in the past decade. Why would anyone leave them?

If he left for Ferrari then your statement would make sense.

Not everything is about statistics. Even when Ferrari were Shit McLaren was up there fighting for wins

They are the faster team to bounce back and its almost guaranteed to have a race winning car every single year (bar 2006)

NHale

So I was discussing the moves last night with a few friends from work, we were all wondering what happens to Perez when he out qualifies and out scores Button. Hamilton was pushed out by Whitmarsh to protect his golden boy, I don't see how Perez will be immune from this and all of us came to the conclusion that Perez will find himself on his way out of McLaren half way through the 2014 season as Whitmarsh seeks to protect Button again.

Whitmarsh is going to drive McLaren racing into the ground, Ron Dennis needs to fuck him up and sack him.

You are really obsessed with Martin Whitmarsh, aren't you?

In my mind they've won two WDC (2007 and 2008) and one WCC (2007) so I think Mclaren is a really strong team.

Since when what only happens in our mind count for anything?

Cuddler

They will have to adapt. Someone is going to beat the other but no one is going to dominate the other. And this is completely different than 2007. This time the intruder will be Vettel not Alonso. Hamilton was always the golden child at McLaren and of course the team liked him more than someone that just arrived. Now it will be the exact opposite with Alonso being the "preferred son".

However Ferrari is thinking in the future with this move, Vettel will be their driver for the next 10 years well after Alonso retires.
I agree with you about that, but Ferrari has always played safely about drivers in the last years, maybe they can still leave Vettel free to sign a one year contract with Red Bull and then sign him in 2015.

Fisico

McLaren: Button/Perez
Red Bull: Vettel/Webber
Ferrari: Alonso/Massa
Mercedes: Hamilton/Rosberg
Lotus: Raikkonen/Grosjean
Force India: Hulk/di Resta
Sauber: Kobyashi/Guitierrez
Williams: Maldonado/Bottas
Toro Rosso: Vergne/Ricciardo
Caterham: Kovalainen/Alguersuari
Marussia: Glock/Random Pay Driver
HRT: Clos/Random Pay Driver

My changes in bold obviously!

• Massa to keep his seat, better the devil you know.
  • Guitierrez to take use perez money assuming they don't need it at Mcclaren.
  • Senna gone, Bottas seems to be Williams' golden child.

I remember hearing some news about Pic signing for Caterham, can't see why Sauber would choose Gutierrez over Bianchi too (Ferrari giving up its two young drivers ?).

FuturusX

Lewis leaving was the right decision. Was it about the money...well kind of. Salary is always a reflection of worth.

Hamilton - Alonso - Vettel (not in that order).

Are the top three drivers in F1. Drivers you can build you team around. Cost saving a few million pounds?

The team effectively chose Button with the contract they brought to the table.

Even if it doesn't work out for Lewis, to be offered less money from one of the greatest teams in Motorsport really was quite telling.

The team forced his hand...

Jinjo

Lewis leaving was the right decision. Was it about the money...well kind of. Salary is always a reflection of worth.

Hamilton - Alonso - Vettel (not in that order).

Are the top three drivers in F1. Drivers you can build you team around. Cost saving a few million pounds?

The team effectively chose Button with the contract they brought to the table.

Even if it doesn't work out for Lewis, to be offered less money from one of the greatest teams in Motorsport really was quite telling.

The team forced his hand...

Aside from the fact that McLaren matched Mercedes' offer. Ya know.

FuturusX

Martin whitmarsh also said it on an interview with sky sports on Fridays F1 show

Whitmarsh went on record saying they had to cut his salary in many interviews throughout the season. (inappropriate to comment in the middle of negotiations but he did). When it was clear that hamilton was going to leave they came in with more money I am sure, maybe they even matched the Mercedes offer. But this has much more to do with the relationship and respect between the driver and the team than just money. They didn't fight for him soon enough. You have to question why.

If they were going to replace Hamilton with say Alonso or Vettel...fair enough. Button and Perez is a downgrade. I love Perez and wish him well but he a developing driver. But only time will tell perhaps he'll hit the ground running...

Lach

I remember hearing some news about Pic signing for Caterham, can't see why Sauber would choose Gutierrez over Bianchi too (Ferrari giving up its two young drivers ?).

Well, if signing Gutierrez means that they keep all those current mexican sponsors I guess that might have quite some weight..

Ark

mhh my guess would be, that Hulkenberg gets the open slot at Sauber.
for the smiles : http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/09/30/hamilton-team-mate-pretty-easy-push-track/
Hamilton jokes about, how easy Nico is to overtake

I imagine this is just banter between two friends, rather than 'lol Nico is a waste of space'.

I like Perez and passionately hate McLaren. I am so emotionally confused.

Show us on the doll where the bad men hurt you.

Red Bull to be renamed Magnum Ice Cream Racing in 2014 confirmed.

3NW

dat livery would be sooooo good lol

I can't imagine how weird and awkward the atmosphere and situation in the McLaren garage must be, when Lewis is around. He can't expect to have the full team support behind him.

I can't imagine how weird and awkward the atmosphere and situation in the McLaren garage must be, when Lewis is around. He can't expect to have the full team support behind him.

I dunno, you'd like to think that for six races they're gonna push for him to get a WDC. Next season is next season, right now he's driving for them and can get them a championship.

That's how I'd look at it, anyway. I'm sure he has a lot of friends in that garage who understand that sometimes you gotta move on.

Jensen

They will still support him, just as they did with Kimi when it was an open secret he was going to Ferrari. McLaren's need for a WCC will be greater than any animosity towards Hamilton.

I think McLaren will be disappointed to lose Hamilton but will not miss him now that they have secured Perez for next season.

Ark

You guys really think the team that prides itself on being the best (for sake of argument, cba to check facts), would hamstring itself at the best shot they've had at the title since 2008?

They're far more professional than that.

I think McLaren will be disappointed to lose Hamilton but will not miss him now that they have secured Perez for next season.

I'm sure Perez is an exciting prospect for the rest of the team, but I'd bet my hat that McLaren will miss one of the best drivers in the world. Am I still the only one who thinks it's somewhat embarrassing that McLaren lost Hamilton?

My first year posting in F1 GAF was going pretty good until school started up again. I haven't posted or watched any of the past 3 race weekends live. :(((

Japan and Korea actually work out way better for my schedule as I'm usually up till the crack of dawn studying so hopefully I'll be able to watch in the background. I despise 8AM EST starts.

DBT85

Of course he can. This season he is scoring more points for their WCC title bid than Jenson so they are going to keep pushing to get that title. If they try and screw him over out of a WDC shot they'll miss out on the WCC in the process. They might not care about Hamilton winning the WDC but the WCC is too lucrative to miss out on out of spite.

I'm sure Perez is an exciting prospect for the rest of the team, but I'd bet my hat that McLaren will miss one of the best drivers in the world. Am I still the only one who thinks it's somewhat embarrassing that McLaren lost Hamilton?

Any team would miss a driver like that. Like Ferrari would miss Alonso and RBR would miss Vettel.

I agree with you, from a McLaren point of view it seems like they didn't think there was anywhere for him to go and so didn't put up enough fight to keep him until it was too late. Maybe they thought that since they nurtured him that he would stay there regardless.

I hope he does well at Merc. I doubt it'll be next year so Vettel and Alonso are probably rubbing their hands together at the prospect of having a 2 man shoot out for the title.

I think it's a good move for him, he'll have the chance to try and show that he is a petulant child that the internet seems to think he is, and to try and lead that team through the next 3 years as the rules change.

I do fully expect him to beat Rosberg in 75% of sessions though.

I do like McLaren and Perez though and I've even started liking Alonso. Next year my order of cheering will be:

1) Hamilton
2) Button
3) Perez
4) Alonso
5) Webber

I dunno, you'd like to think that for six races they're gonna push for him to get a WDC. Next season is next season, right now he's driving for them and can get them a championship.

That's how I'd look at it, anyway. I'm sure he has a lot of friends in that garage who understand that sometimes you gotta move on.

They will still support him, just as they did with Kimi when it was an open secret he was going to Ferrari. McLaren's need for a WCC will be greater than any animosity towards Hamilton.

Of course they will push him for the next few races to win the WDC, so they can later on say that the only titles he won were with McLaren. ;)

But I don't know. If I'd be in that situation, I'm not 100% sure if I'd be able to give the very best, knowing that he'd basically take the title with him. It wouldn't even be intentional.

I've also read few times here that McLaren "didn't fight hard enough" to keep him. Do you think his, lets say, quite emotional season last year had anything to do with it?

Ark

I've also read few times here that McLaren "didn't fight hard enough" to keep him. Do you think his, lets say, quite emotional season last year had anything to do with it?

I doubt it, because out of his six years at the team, he's only had one year where he's not been the one bringing home the most points for the team - and even last year, he equalled Button's wins (I know I know, points > wins. But for arguments sake).

McLaren lost Hamilton, not because they didn't offer a lucrative offer soon enough, but because the team hasn't been going in the right direction ever since the new regulations came in. It's like they just stagnated after 2009.

Nicktendo86

I doubt it, because out of his six years at the team, he's only had one year where he's not been the one bringing home the most points for the team - and even last year, he equalled Button's wins (I know I know, points > wins. But for arguments sake).

McLaren lost Hamilton, not because they didn't offer a lucrative offer soon enough, but because the team hasn't been going in the right direction ever since the new regulations came in. It's like they just stagnated after 2009.

What? They have the most race wins this year and Hamilton has the joint highest wins this season. McLaren have been there or thereabouts and have the best car this season, I wouldn't call that stagnated!

Ark

What? They have the most race wins this year and Hamilton has the joint highest wins this season. McLaren have been there or thereabouts and have the best car this season, I wouldn't call that stagnated!

Button and Hamilton have each won around 3 races a year at McLaren since they've been team mates, and Hamilton picked up two wins in 2009.

McLaren's car performance has gotten better each year for sure, but nevertheless they're still bringing home the same amount of wins, and the same amount of titles.

mclaren777

That's silly, and I'd expect it to not be enforced, but just so you know...

I was momentarily worried, but then I read the update...

In response to fan feedback, (I'd say, outrage) Circuit of The Americas has updated the list of prohibited items for the FORMULA 1 UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX, Nov. 16-18, 2012.

Patrons with still cameras featuring detachable lenses smaller than 10 inches in length WILL BE permitted on site during the Grand Prix event. However, detachable camera lenses longer than 10 inches will be prohibited.

Thankfully, the 100-400mm is only 7.4 inches long
when it's retracted
. :)

Also, tripods are prohibited but I wonder if monopods will be allowed.

Hammer24

Banned
I just rented a 100-400mm lens for the US Grand Prix. :)

jVxMe4deq8siK.jpg

I´ve got this lens. Very very nice pic quality - but the AF can be maddeningly slow.

Now for the news:
Sauber officially confirms interest in MSC. Monisha Kaltenborn: "Of course you start thinking, when a seven time world champion hits the market." Sabine Kehm: "Everything is possible."
(Disclaimer: Both my quick´n´dirty translations)
Article goes on to state that HUL chances still better to land the Sauber gig, as MSC would have to be willing to take an enormous paycut.

neoanarch

F1 withdrawals. The excitement of the Perez-Hamilton news has left me drained and wanting some f1. Are there any good f1 podcasts out there?

Septimius

Lauda: Hamilton can succeed where Schumacher failed

[...]

“I was impressed with his approach to things - very pragmatic, no emotions whatsoever. The real discussion was, 'Why should I leave a competitive car where my life is easy in the future?' So my argument was: ‘If you're looking for a new challenge, then certainly the Mercedes team is one. Think of it the other way round. If Schumacher couldn't get the Mercedes team running up front for three years and you next year are doing much better, it makes a huge impact on your personality and people will rate you much higher. In the end it convinced him that the challenge is what he wants to do. For a competitive guy like Lewis, it's very interesting.”

[...]

The fuuuuck. This article actually upset me.

Top Bottom