• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Goldrusher

Michael to leave Formula 1
Retirement at the end of the season - ”I am at ease with myself”

"I have decided to retire from Formula 1 at the end of the season, although I am still able to compete with the best drivers of the world. This is something that makes me proud, and this is part of why I never regretted my Comback. I can be happy with my performance and the fact that I was continuously raising my game during the last three years. But then, at some point it is time to say Good-Bye.

Already during the past weeks and months I was not sure if I would still have the motivation and energy which is necessary to go on; and it is not my style to do anything which I am not 100% convinced about. With today’s decision I feel released from those doubts. In the end, it is not my ambition to just drive around but to fight for victories; and the pleasure of driving is nourished by competitiveness.

I have said at the end of 2009 that I want to be measured by my success, and this is why I had a lot of critizism in the past 3 years which partly was justified. It is without doubt that we did not achieve our goal to develop a world championship fighting car within those 3 years. It is also without doubt that I cannot provide a long term perspective to anyone. But then it is also clear that I can still be very happy about my overall achievements in Formula 1.

In the past 6 years I have learned a lot, also about me, and I am thankful for it: for example, that you can open yourself up without losing focus. That losing can be both more difficult and more instructive than winning; something I had lost out of sight sometimes in earlier years. That you have to appreciate to be able to do what you love. That you have to live your convictions. I have opened my horizon, and I am at ease with myself.

I would like to thank Daimler, Mercedes-Benz and the Team for their trust. But I also would like to thank all my friends, partners and companions, who over many good years in motorsport supported me. But most of all I would like to thank my family for standing always by my side, giving me the freedom to live my convictions and sharing my joy."​

http://www.michael-schumacher.de/sites/en/news/news.html

Michael wird die Formel 1 verlassen
Rücktritt zum Saisonende - ”Ich bin im Reinen mit mir”

"Ich habe beschlossen meine Formel-1-Karriere zum Saisonende zu beenden, im Bewusstsein, noch immer mit den Besten der Welt mithalten zu können. Das macht mich stolz, und auch deshalb habe ich mein Comeback nie bereut. Ich kann zufrieden sein mit meiner Leistung der vergangenen drei Jahre und damit, dass ich es geschafft habe, mich kontinuierlich zu steigern. Aber irgendwann kommt die Zeit für den Abschied.

Ich war mir schon während der letzten Monaten nicht mehr sicher, ob ich die nötige Motivation und Energie für ein oder zwei weitere Jahre noch aufbringen kann; und es ist nicht mein Stil etwas zu tun, wovon ich nicht 100% überzeugt bin. Deshalb habe ich so lange gezögert mich festzulegen. Mit meiner heutigen Entscheidung fühle ich mich von diesen Zweifeln befreit. Am Ende habe ich den Anspruch, nicht nur mitzufahren, sondern um Siege zu kämpfen; und die Lust am Fahren nährt sich bekanntlich auch durch Wettbewerbsfähigkeit.

Ich habe Ende 2009 gesagt, dass ich an meinen Erfolgen gemessen werden möchte, und daher habe ich in den vergangenen drei Jahren viel Kritik eingesteckt, die zum Teil berechtigt war. Es ist unbestritten, dass wir unser Ziel, innerhalb dreier Jahre ein WM-Auto zu entwickeln, nicht erreicht haben. Klar ist auch, dass ich niemandem mehr eine langfristige Perspektive bieten kann. Klar ist für mich aber auch, dass ich nach diesen drei Jahren nicht weniger glücklich sein kann über das, was ich in der Formel 1 erreicht habe.

Ich habe in den vergangenen sechs Jahren vieles – auch über mich selbst – dazu gelernt, und dafür bin ich dankbar: dass man sich öffnen kann, ohne an Focus zu verlieren. Dass Verlieren schwieriger als Gewinnen sein kann, und auch lehrreicher; vorher hatte ich das manchmal aus den Augen verloren. Dass man es schätzen muss, wenn man tun darf, was man liebt. Dass man seine Ueberzeugungen leben sollte. Ich habe meinen Horizont erweitert und bin im Reinen mit mir.

Ich bedanke mich bei Daimler, Mercedes-Benz und dem gesamten Team für das mir entgegen gebrachte Vertrauen. Ich bedanke mich bei allen meinen Freunden, Partnern und Weggefährten, die mir in all den Jahren mit Rat und Tat zur Seite standen. Am meisten aber bedanke ich mich bei meiner Familie, die immer hinter mir steht. Die mir die Freiheit gibt, meine Ueberzeugungen zu leben und meine Freude daran teilt.​

http://www.michael-schumacher.de/sites/de/news/news.html

:(

Shaneus

Yeah, it probably is for the best, but it is sad. Even sadder seeing that he's actually got some humility and perspective over the last three years. At least I got to see him race once this year in Melbourne.

Damnit, I'd love to see him win something in the next few races. Probably won't happen, but it'd be fucking awesome if he did.

Septimius

I'm just so devastated that he could've won Monaco, and had an excellent opportunity in China, too. Shitpickles. :/

EDIT: Reading the title on his own web site "I am with ease with myself" makes me... I don't know how to describe the feeling. I am really happy that Schumacher found everything he wanted with these years. I'm sharing his sentiment that it's sort of a shame that it didn't work out better. I am still very conflicted, but it seems Schumacher's lifelong experience makes him more able to let those things that you cannot do anything about go. I am proud to have him as my hero; as my idol. We all know how different he has been, this time around. It's been a wise Schumacher, but a fighting Schumacher, all the same. It must be an overwhelming feeling of saudade - and I think that word perfectly describes my feelings: A nostalgic longing for something you love that you know will not return..

I'll miss that guy. I think it's as simple as that. I hope I'll get this emotionally involved with another driver, because I've loved every second of his career. I remember being 5 years old, and I remember the first GP I saw, my first memory of Formula One. Schumacher in a Benetton at Hungaroring. I have little recollection of how he was doing in the race, I just remember immediately being drawn to him. And I've followed him ever since. I could be lamenting the fact that I wasn't quite old enough to enjoy the legend unfolding, but again, this legend unfolded as I grew older. And these last years he's become a complete hero to me, showing a new side - a side that you feel wants to win, but at the same time, a side that's able to.. find peace in it all.

Thanks, Michael.

Adamm

Sad to see him go. I never liked him much the first time, but when he came back I found myself rooting for him.

I would have loved to see him win a race again, but at least he got on the podium once.

Ferrari complains about the McLaren and RBR wings again.

Ferrari has complained to Formula 1 governing body the FIA that the McLaren front wing could be flexing beyond the limits of the technical regulations, according to German publication Auto Motor und Sport. The cars of Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button are expected to be checked at Suzuka this weekend but Team Principal Martin Whitmarsh is confident that no discrepancies will be discovered.

It is believed Ferrari is also unhappy with Red Bull, which was first to be subjected to a flexi-wing debate mid-season in 2010. According to the Italian outfit, the entire front wings of McLaren and Red Bull could be loosening up at high speed.
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/284915/ferrari-complains-to-fia-about-mclaren-wing/

DBT85

Just from that interview, Seems to me Hamilton thinks he was the reason why Mclaren had a championship winning car.

He is certainly a reason its a contender, the designers and engineers do a whole lot of work but they get a lot of feedback from the drivers when testing the actual parts that guys like Turvey and Paffet can't give from the simulator.

I don't think he thinks he is the one responsible for it being a fast car though. It's unquestionable that he and Button have helped develop it. Same as Alonso has helped Ferrari and Vettel has helped RBR.

NHale

Sad to see him go. I never liked him much the first time, but when he came back I found myself rooting for him.

I would have loved to see him win a race again, but at least he got on the podium once.

He suddenly became the lovable underdog instead of the big favorite that acted like a douchebag everytime he was pressured.

While some believe his return maybe hurt his legacy because of "bad" results and multiple dumb accidents, to me it enhanced it because he finally behaved like a normal human being.

amar212

I never actually liked him while he was in the peak of his career, but when he decided to come back he became my favourite.

He has all my respect for comeback and all his efforts in past 3 years. I know he would be in different position today if the car was more competitive and I honestly think we will lose much of the magic for the next season now he is out.

Bow to Opi, he is truly the greatest F1 driver alive.

Ark

Fernando Alonso believes Lewis Hamilton's move to Mercedes is a change for the better.

Hamilton confirmed last week that he is to leave McLaren after a career that has been so far supported by the British squad.

He made his F1 debut with the team and took his first title in 2008 with it.

Alonso, now at Ferrari, partnered Hamilton at McLaren in 2007, but left at the end of that season after a turbulent year and a spiky rivalry between the pair.

"I think it's normal. It's a step in your career," Alonso said at Suzuka on Thursday.

"I think for Lewis it is a good thing to move on and for McLaren .... [Alain] Prost went out, [Ayrton] Senna, then it was me, now it's Lewis, and normally for a better life, for a good change.

"McLaren has been 14 years without winning the constructors' championship, most of those years sometimes with the best car. I'm sure Lewis wants to win as well."

Although Mercedes has failed to be a regular contender for victory since its return to Formula 1, Alonso has no doubt that Hamilton will be fighting for the title right from the start.

"I think he did great in McLaren. He won one world championship. He won races," said Alonso of Hamilton.

"He is considered one of the best drivers, and I think next year he will enjoy it more. He will be very competitive, and I think from next year he will be a contender for the championship.

"Mercedes is a top team with Ross Brawn there and all the potential of a big company behind. So they are strong."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103055

Really sad to see Schumi retire for the second time, I thoroughly enjoyed his second stint in the sport. He'll be missed greatly on track.

mclaren777

Tell us how you really feel.

Sure. I think the past few years has finally shown us the real Michael. Without his team having a dominate tire partnership (Bridgestone), this is the kind of performance he returns. He never was the god-like driver people wanted him to be. He was just a highly skilled driver in a team that worshiped him at the expense of others.

The sport is better without him, though it was nice to finally see his true talent.

Dead Man

Sure. I think the past few years has finally shown us the real Michael. Without his team having a dominate tire partnership (Bridgestone), this is the kind of performance he returns. He never was the god-like driver people wanted him to be. He was just a highly skilled driver in a team that worshiped him at the expense of others.

The sport is better without him, though it was nice to finally see his true talent.

Bloody hell. Could you be more bitter? Did he kick your dog or something? He was and is an amazing driver. He is 43 years old. How many 43 year old drivers have won a race? Not fucking many. Jack Brabham in the 70's, you probably need to go back to the 50's to see it happen regularly. It is a young persons sport now.

Ark

Blind as a bat.

Az

I'm happy to see Michael leave the sport and I'm even happier that he never won a race during his comeback.

Good riddance.

I hate to just randomly attack you lke this and I apologize up front but you are definitely in the top 10 of worst posters GAF has seen. You are somewhere after Manos and before Eggman.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I will miss Schumacher. They way he battled in 98 against the superior McLarens was awesome, especially the way he fought in Spa, starting from last on the grid. Anybody trying to diminish what he has accomplished is insane.

I'm very sad.

Wish he had a better come back, but even though. He's a legend, and now we will see him race his final 6 races.

We should feel privileged to have lived through his career and witnessed it unfold in front of our eyes.

Thank you Schumi

operon

Really starting to get fed up of your complete bitterness, get over yourself

l2ounD

Ive been watching partly last year and have been fully enjoying this season. I was hoping to get to see a Schumi win even though Im not that big of a fan his. His pole at Monaco was awesome to see, if only it had stuck.. But it does seem like the right move on his part, dont know where else he would go?

Juicy Bob

Schumacher will always be remembered for his seven WDCs and for breaking virtually every record in the book. He will probably be F1's most successful driver ever, for ever.

That said, it's very difficult for me to overlook the disagreeable things he did on track over the course of his career. Adelaide '94, Jerez '97, Monaco '06, Hungary 2010, etc. It always seemed that his unquenchable thirst for victory came with a bit of a shortcoming, in that he didn't seem to have that automatic switch that the other drivers have when, in the heat of battle, when they consider cheating or driving in a dangerous manner to keep a position from being lost to a rival - they don't. Pastor Maldonado seems to have that same issue too, although perhaps more severely.

Whatever I think, MSC is going to go down as a legend and I think the fact that he's still got options to continue racing in F1 past the age of 43 is probably his ultimate accolade.

Dead Man

Schumacher will always be remembered for his seven WDCs and for breaking virtually every record in the book. He will probably be F1's most successful driver ever, for ever.

That said, it's very difficult for me to overlook the disagreeable things he did on track over the course of his career. Adelaide '94, Jerez '97, Monaco '06, Hungary 2010, etc. It always seemed that his unquenchable thirst for victory came with a bit of a shortcoming, in that he didn't seem to have that automatic switch that the other drivers have when, in the heat of battle, they consider cheating or driving in a dangerous manner to keep a position from being lost to a rival. Pastor Maldonado seems to have that same issue too, although perhaps more severely.

Whatever I think, MSC is going to go down as a legend and I think the fact that he's still got options to continue racing in F1 past the age of 43 is probably his ultimate accolade.

Eh. I don't think you can be that succseful without being a dick. Senna, Prost, etc. All arseholes on the track at some points in their career.

Juicy Bob

Eh. I don't think you can be that succseful without being a dick. Senna, Prost, etc. All arseholes on the track at some points in their career.
I personally feel there's a difference between 'being a dick' and 'being dangerous'. Senna, for example, was dangerous at times. He was a brilliantly talented driver, but what he did in Suzuka 1990 was unacceptable, for me. I wouldn't have accepted it then if I wasn't barely a year old back then and I wouldn't accept someone doing the same today. Schumacher crossed the line a couple of times, I feel.

EDIT: Take someone like Lewis Hamilton. Very talented and a very well regarded world champion - but a bit of a dick. Has he done anything on track as bad as Senna or Schumacher? I would say not.

Dead Man

I personally feel there's a difference between 'being a dick' and 'being dangerous'. Senna, for example, was dangerous at times. He was a brilliantly talented driver, but what he did in Suzuka 1990 was unacceptable, for me. I wouldn't have accepted it then if I wasn't barely a year old back then and I wouldn't accept someone doing the same today. Schumacher crossed the line a couple of times, I feel.

Yeah, not saying he didn't, just saying I don't think that is exceptional. Especially in the 90's. The sport has changed since then, mostly for the better in terms of sportsmanship. But man, you were 1? Damn I feel old now!

Edit: Yeah, agree with your edit.

20+ years, 300+GPs - Michael is a treasure. He raced F1 with guys who themselves started in the 70's and are in their 60s now, to kids like Perez who may very well be around 15 years from now. That's pretty incredible.

I really hope he finds an area of expertise within racing (outside of driving) where he can remain involved and engaged.

Dilly

Banned

Apparently you're also ignorant about certain F1 related subjects.

I hate to just randomly attack you lke this and I apologize up front but you are definitely in the top 10 of worst posters GAF has seen. You are somewhere after Manos and before Eggman.

Ouch

Juicy Bob

Yeah, not saying he didn't, just saying I don't think that is exceptional. Especially in the 90's. The sport has changed since then, mostly for the better in terms of sportsmanship. But man, you were 1? Damn I feel old now!
I agree. I believe the sport has gotten better recently not just in regards to sportsmanship, but also driving standards as well. I remember drivers spinning out of races and making massive cock-ups all the time in the 90s, even the leading guys like Hill and Coulthard in the Williamses. These days, Massa gets a lot of stick for being so slow, but he doesn't tend to drive like a n00b and retire from races due to driver error very much.

Also, yeah. I was just about to reach my first birthday when Suzuka 1990 happened. Sorry about that! :p

Leunam

Guys, I know mclaren777 has some opinions most people disagree with (about F1 and otherwise), and I disagree with him often as well, but I'm sure we can be just a touch more civil about this right? Feel free to voice your disagreement but be respectful about it.

Save the passion for GP's. :)

Guys, I know mclaren777 has some opinions most people disagree with (about F1 and otherwise), and I disagree with him often as well, but I'm sure we can be just a touch more civil about this right? Feel free to voice your disagreement but be respectful about it.

Save the passion for GP's. :)

We're talking about the guy who wished Webber a season ending accident in Melbourne.

I think most people here give him the respect he deserves.

Leunam

I'm very familiar with mclaren and his post history. I wanted to say my part and that's it, because I feel that these kinds of attitudes have driven away some valuable posters from the thread who I would like to see come back. Beyond just asking people to relax, there isn't a whole lot I can do.

G-Unit

EDIT: Take someone like Lewis Hamilton. Very talented and a very well regarded world champion - but a bit of a dick. Has he done anything on track as bad as Senna or Schumacher? I would say not.

yet, well he did pay timo glock :p

Top Bottom