• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Shaneus

You met him?

Actually, I think I remember reading that somewhere. I knew I was nice to you for a reason ;)

I still love how he almost breaks into a South African accent when doing (I assume) well-rehearsed speeches, yet when he's interviewed on-the-fly he's always full-blown ocker.

Jibbed

You met him?

Actually, I think I remember reading that somewhere. I knew I was nice to you for a reason ;)

I still love how he almost breaks into a South African accent when doing (I assume) well-rehearsed speeches, yet when he's interviewed on-the-fly he's always full-blown ocker.

Yeah man, I posted a picture on FS a while ago of my H-KARTS shirt that he signed, and he also signed my RB hat :)

I had about 20 seconds with him as he was moving along doing autographs, just briefly about Silverstone and that (didn't manage to plug H-KARTS, Kovalainen said it was 'very cool' though haha). Then my mate said something like "So what's the deal with Ferrari then Mark? Fancy that seat alongside Alonso?!", and Webber basically laughed then moved along fairly quickly. The accompanying Red Bull rep was not happy.

Probably, with Alonso in fifth and Massa somewhere random.

It's crazy how Ferrari fucked up the championship. They're always talking about bringing new parts and improving the car, but they're still working with an old and outdated wind tunnel system and they know that it's shit! For the past two years they've been complaining that the parts they developed and simulated aren't working on track and only now they're doing something about it. No wonder aero was always their weakness.

But hey, few buckets of FlowWiz is obviously cheaper than a new wind tunnel.

E:

Here's the part I'm referring to:

Domenicali reckons Ferrari's current windtunnel is outdated, which is why he feels the updates to its car do not work as expected based on tunnel data.

"I think our structure is not the best one in that respect," said Domenicali on Friday at Suzuka. "It's quite old. We are trying to improve the quality of the tools we have, this is something we are trying to do, so we try and improve correlation and this is the plan that we should be able to do for next season."

Although Ferrari uses other windtunnels too, Domenicali feels closing down the team's unit to improve it is the way to go.

"We are using other facilities and in the next couple of weeks we will define programme to be more specific on that, to see what is best time to shut down and improve things that are not at the maximum level at the moment," he said.

He added: "I am sure it happened also to other teams but I have seen in the second part of the season when trying to bring new updates to the car that not all the updates are working on track. So we started to investigate it more and we found this issue.

"We considered it was coming from the tool that is not really up to the speed of the new technologies in the market. That is why we think we need to improve that, so that the percentage [improvement rate] of what we bring to the track is higher than we have now.

It's crazy how Ferrari fucked up the championship. They're always talking about bringing new parts and improving the car, but they're still working with an old and outdated windtunnel system and they know that it's shit! For the past two years they've been complaining that the parts they developed and simulated aren't working on track and only now they're doing something about it. No wonder aero was always their weakness.

But hey, few buckets of FlowWiz is obviously cheaper than a new windtunnel.

I thought they built a state of the art wind tunnel just few years ago!

Dilly

Banned
It's crazy how Ferrari fucked up the championship. They're always talking about bringing new parts and improving the car, but they're still working with an old and outdated windtunnel system and they know that it's shit! For the past two years they've been complaining that the parts they developed and simulated aren't working on track and only now they're doing something about it. No wonder aero was always their weakness.

But hey, few buckets of FlowWiz is obviously cheaper than a new windtunnel.

I already heard last year that their wind tunnel wasn't giving the right results, yet only now they decided to close it down for inspection.

mclaren777

Filmed with my camera and sped up to decrease file size, but still pretty cool.

tirespot.gif

Ark

Pretty much, how can the richest team on the grid have an outdated Wind Tunnel.

It's F1 for goodness sake.

Because Ferrari never needed a windtunnel when they could just send a test driver out to do a thousand laps around their test track.

paskowitz

Hey F1 USGP Fans! We’re listening to your feedback and making a change to our camera policy. Detachable cameras lenses of all sizes WILL BE PERMITTED at the 2012 FORMULA 1 UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX™ Nov. 16-18. Please note that individual video cameras will not be permitted on site; however, cell phones with photo and video capabilities will be allowed.

Straight from the COTA FB page.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I thought Ferrari used Toyota Motorsports state-of-the-art windtunnel?

I think that they use it only when urgency occurs. Otherwise they have their own, 1,5 year old windtunnel, but it is not on the same leauge like that from Mclaren or RBR. Mercedes is starting with operations in their new one this week.

Pimpwerx

I think that they use it only when urgency occurs. Otherwise they have their own, 1,5 year old windtunnel, but it is not on the same leauge like that from Mclaren or RBR. Mercedes is starting with operations in their new one this week.

Didn't they collaborate to build a really high-tech wind tunnel with Sauber some years ago? Anyway, sounds like they're planning on addressing the problem. PEACE.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Didn't they collaborate to build a really high-tech wind tunnel with Sauber some years ago? Anyway, sounds like they're planning on addressing the problem. PEACE.

I think that Sauber now uses that windtunnel and Ferrari made new one. But if you do not upgrade or develop windtunnel tech, it can turn obsolete quite fast. And now with all computer processing power, accurate windtunnel data can save your season.

moojito

Hulk would be taking a big punt going to Ferrari. If it's just for one year he'd have to be able to make a good impression to land in a decent seat for 2014. I imagine the goal is to impress red bull and do a straight swap for Vettel or something. Even though I root for di Resta in force india being a Scot, I still think Hulk was seriously shafted getting sacked right after that awesome pole in Brazil (even if it was weather-aided), so good for him if it works out.

Hulk would be taking a big punt going to Ferrari. If it's just for one year he'd have to be able to make a good impression to land in a decent seat for 2014. I imagine the goal is to impress red bull and do a straight swap for Vettel or something. Even though I root for di Resta in force india being a Scot, I still think Hulk was seriously shafted getting sacked right after that awesome pole in Brazil (even if it was weather-aided), so good for him if it works out.

It isn't really that much of a gamble. There's no doubt he has to move from Force India if he wants to move up the grid later in his career, and where's the best place to show what he's capable of? The cockpit of a potentially fucking fast Ferrari, or another Force India? Hmmm. And let's not forget, if he goes to Ferrari he's going to be expected to be playing second fiddle, all he has to do to impress is improve on what Massa is doing. If he stays at Force India and has another year of nip and tuck with Di Resta, it's going to be hard for him to stand out.

Either way, he's likely going to be looking for another drive in 2014 anyway, so he might as well trade up if he gets the option.

Draconian

Oh boy, here comes the "get-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night-early" part of the season.

*yawn*

lol It's the opposite for us in the US. I can actually start watching before going to bed now instead of having to record and watch in the morning.

Pimpwerx

I'm watching F1 Debrief on Speed, and Katie Perry said her mom divorced an F1 driver. Who was that?

Anyway, I hope Lewis can grab pole and the win. It looks like RBR is the car to beat here, though. PEACE.

Shaneus

Not this weekend they dont
Ah, cheers. Wasn't sure if they'd simulcast it FTA. Bugger.

And what are our F1RM teams for this weekend? I managed to find out that I've somehow got the ability to actually have decent (points-wise) drivers and teams:

Per/Mal/RBR/MCL/Tot

PS. Petrov 1:35. Those Caterhams so far off the pace :(

Adamm

Ah, cheers. Wasn't sure if they'd simulcast it FTA. Bugger.

And what are our F1RM teams for this weekend? I managed to find out that I've somehow got the ability to actually have decent (points-wise) drivers and teams:

Per/Mal/RBR/MCL/Tot

PS. Petrov 1:35. Those Caterhams so far off the pace :(

Alo/Kov/Fer/RBR/Tot. I stuck with Ferrari hoping McLaren mess up :D

Top Bottom