• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Omiee

I was coming to that. And I guess that's what sealed the deal because he wasn't at advantage if it got redflagged so Charlie might have take it as it was truly undrivable.

Now we don't know if other drivers have complained or not, but a good 9 and a half minutes have passed, Ferrari fucked up and were paying for it, so it would've been nice to see the field get a bit shuffled

I don't think any post above suggested that Alonso doesn't deserve the pole. It's just somehow unfair IMO.

Also, I don't think I'm the only one who says the red flag was unnecessary from replies here I think EJ was saying the same

He and Jake were saying it the whole time during the red flag. Ah well.

Man people know how to over react here. Have you guys ever visited another sports thread here at GAF. If you think MJ and me should be temp banned for our opinion thats just wrong. I cant imagine how people would react here if somebody was actually trolling or something. With me you know its not trolling since i just like vettel. You guys should visit the NBA and NFL threads and see what trolling is.

The cars looked so much better then IMO.

I can't agree with that. Yes, the lower and wider rear wing looked much, much better, but they went crazy with the aero. The noses are just as much of a mess as they are right now. Just a different kind of mess.

IRFoP.jpg

The shark fins were equally terrible.

Give the current cars the wide rear wing back, fix the noses and we're good.

vq40W.jpg

m2O8Z.jpg

The icing on the cake would be the classic livery.

Qg9k2.jpg

Dead Man

Another thread I wanted to post into for so long.

-Schumacher fan
-Thinks schumie > alonso at prime times but alonso the best currently driver
-Does not understand the love for webber and koba
-Maldonado is a dick
-Realized that he's more a schumie fan than ferrari one
-Started watching F1 around 1998
-Kimi is awesome
-Chill hamilton is likeable
-Poor massa, the injury messed him up

Webber is just too awesome not to love, and even if I admit he is not the fastest, he is still one of the nicest and most competiteve. Kobay was supposed to be brilliant, tourned out ot be only solid, but we see that brilliance everynow and then.

Oh, and welcome.

Fantomex

No one got disadvantaged, but the top 10 was perfect until Alonso came into the radio complaining that its undrivable, 2 laps later its a red flag

Ironically the Ferrari's wer

fuck... my kid just kicked me in the nutts.. I'll finish this post later

MJ, Hamilton complained too. It wasn't just Alonso. And also, if I'm not mistaken there is a threshold that has to be met regarding complaints to bring up a red flag, a percentage of drivers if you will. Will try to find the FIA verbiage. But trust me that it was more than 2 drivers.

kharma45

Dammit.

I had Alonso (as usual) down for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place for the race tomorrow but forgot to put him as pole sitter.

For once I remember to do the bets and manage to leave one out :(

Dave_6

I can't agree with that. Yes, the lower and wider rear wing looked much, much better, but they went crazy with the aero. The noses are just as much of a mess as they are right now. Just a different kind of mess.

IRFoP.jpg

The shark fins were equally terrible.

Give the current cars the wide rear wing back, fix the noses and we're good.

The icing on the cake would be the classic livery.

Qg9k2.jpg

Ok yeah that looks good! :)

Omiee

Singapore 2008 was a crazy time for f1 cars lol. The cars looked like they came straight out of a drawing board.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I must be a masochist to have read through all that.

Oh and welcome to all the newcomers to the thread, but it's a shame that you just happened to join in on the fun during one of F1 GAF's more volatile moments.

Ah well, race weekends always tend to be heated. The weekdays though are a different matter.

Leunam

Edmond Dantès;39613104 said:
Ah well, race weekends always tend to be heated. The weekdays though are a different matter.

If you can emerge unscathed from race weekends then you can survive anything in this thread.

TylerD

Un biased viewer weighing in:

When cars can't stay on the track the session needs to be red flagged. Hamilton was even calling for a stoppage too and we all remember Korea 2010. Maybe they could have left the session to expire but they didn't.

Some of you guys are a bit mental. :)

Shaneus

Webber is just too awesome not to love, and even if I admit he is not the fastest, he is still one of the nicest and most competiteve. Kobay was supposed to be brilliant, tourned out ot be only solid, but we see that brilliance everynow and then.

Oh, and welcome.
Pretty much this. The OTT of Webber-love is (mostly!) tongue-in-cheek, but out of the field right now he's IMO one of the most easily likeable. Somehow just has that old-school racing vibe about him that reminds me of drivers in the late 80s/early 90s when it wasn't just young wunderkinds racing around the track.

And for Kobay, I think it's just because he's a goofy, funny guy who has a habit of pulling some incredibly ballsy moves around the track (though less so in 2012 than other years... hope he rectifies that, though).

And welcome from here, too! Be sure to stick around in-between rounds and not just on race weekends. It's far more enjoyable and a lot more of what this thread's about than just a few hours of qualifying and racing :)

nice preview as always leunam.

i totally forgot about the mark maintain the gap thing last year.
Could've been three in a row this year :(

Don't forget "Not bad for a #2 driver!", either. I think that's when Webber became more awesome... when it became obvious to everyone that he just did (and said) whatever the fuck he wanted without being too correct.

Shaneus

To be honest, now he's a #1 driver and second in the WDC, I'm really not sure what to do! Post photos or talk about his chances... it's a tough one.

Omiee

To be honest, now he's a #1 driver and second in the WDC, I'm really not sure what to do! Post photos or talk about his chances... it's a tough one.

oh come on now let us see that big webber love of yours, you know you wanna show it =P

ooooo stealth edit :O:O

mblitek

What have I missed! Jeeze, I get sick for two days and there's a new thread and 11 pages of posts to catch up on!

I can't believe I didn't make the Top 30 wall of shame. I hardly post in any other thread!

Now let me see why Jerk got banned...

Shaneus

What have I missed! Jeeze, I get sick for two days and there's a new thread and 11 pages of posts to catch up on!

I can't believe I didn't make the Top 30 wall of shame. I hardly post in any other thread!

Now let me see why Jerk got banned...
You didn't miss anything in the last 10 pages. Really. Don't waste your time... not even as a commentary thing (I say this as not having yet watched the qualis). Or maybe just scan through it for Sunhi gifs :)

New thread hooray! Also, I was in the top 30 for the last one. 200 posts, all of them garbage.

I'm thinking new thread, new avatar. Need more Kimi love in here.

G-Unit

And welcome from here, too! Be sure to stick around in-between rounds and not just on race weekends.[/B] It's far more enjoyable and a lot more of what this thread's about than just a few hours of qualifying and racing :)

Could've been three in a row this year :(

Don't forget "Not bad for a #2 driver!", either. I think that's when Webber became more awesome... when it became obvious to everyone that he just did (and said) whatever the fuck he wanted without being too correct.

I actually think about F1 and Soccer all the time, so you'll see me around all the time xD

Chris R

Might wake up and try to stream the race, but if not I'm wondering how they will show the race on Fox if it is heavily delayed by rain... :|

Another thread I wanted to post into for so long.

-Schumacher fan
-Thinks schumie > alonso at prime times but alonso the best currently driver
-Does not understand the love for webber and koba
-Maldonado is a dick
-Realized that he's more a schumie fan than ferrari one
-Started watching F1 around 1998
-Kimi is awesome
-Chill hamilton is likeable
-Poor massa, the injury messed him up

Welcome, welcome. You'll be here in the morning (or afternoon if you're in Europe) for the race, right? Always fun trying to keep up with the thread during the race. XD

Juicy Bob

I hope you guys are watching this GP3 race. Will Buller started dead last on slicks while many at the front started on wet tyres and he's gone from last to leading at his home event in ten laps!

Suggests it might be worth one of the guys at the back of the F1 grid taking a risk too.

TylerD

Might wake up and try to stream the race, but if not I'm wondering how they will show the race on Fox if it is heavily delayed by rain... :|

My Fox station has a couple of terrible movies after the broadcast time allotted for the race. I imagine if there is an extended red flag period they will just skip from the time it goes red to before they go green.

pants

Regarding the red flag. More than half the session was run and people got their laps in when they thought the track would be at it's best. Playing the environment has always been a part of F1. I remember many times in the 90's when on a wet drying track no one would go out till the last 10 mins, or when rain is expected everyone went out right from the start, choosing the best time to get their laps in and then letting the clock run out during non optimal running time. This is the F1 I want.

To red flag a session where people already made the most of it is bad form.

EDIT: What happened to Jerk?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Regarding the red flag. More than half the session was run and people got their laps in when they thought the track would be at it's best. Playing the environment has always been a part of F1. I remember many times in the 90's when on a wet drying track no one would go out till the last 10 mins, or when rain is expected everyone went out right from the start, choosing the best time to get their laps in and then letting the clock run out during non optimal running time. This is the F1 I want.

EDIT: What happened to Jerk?
Can't be for anything in this thread and there's nothing offensive in any other thread he's posted in, so it could be a self imposed ban. Maybe he just needed a break.

It was red flagged because it was unsafe for the cars to be running in those conditions. If the session had stayed at a level of 'wetness' in which the cars could still run, then it likely would have played out as you suggested.

pants

It was red flagged because it was unsafe for the cars to be running in those conditions. If the session had stayed at a level of 'wetness' in which the cars could still run, then it likely would have played out as you suggested.
No one was improving, it was silly to be out there anyway. You'd have to wish for the rain to stop and by some miracle the water to be lifted in 6 mins. The whole thing reminds me a bit of the USA tyre fiasco, where the opposite ruling was made.

Posting from the park and ride bus on the way to the track, only about a mile to go, traffic is uuuuggghhhh though...

Silverstone baby!!!
I will deposit $5 into your paypal account in you uStream the even sir!

Juicy Bob

I don't disagree with the red flag in the sense that it was too dangerous to allow any more running. The question then becomes, do you then let the clock to continue running and expire naturally at the time it would've expired had there been no red flag. If you do that then, as you say, it would be just like the old days of the 60 minute single session where if you did not get a time in early and the weather changed or something happened to cause a red flag, tough luck. That does make sense.

However, the problem there is, what sort of TV spectacle would qualifying be if you allowed the clock to keep running in the event of a Red Flag? The sessions are supposed to be short and action packed (20/15/10 min sessions) and they are pretty exciting as a result. If you allowed to clock to keep running after a red flag because of an accident or a downpour, you'd get a lot of sessions finishing with drivers 'out of position' because many wouldn't have put in representative laptimes early enough. That would give you some pretty jumbled up grids, for sure, but I think the TV companies and the fans who pay to come and watch want to get their moneys worth and see a full session where the grid is decided by a full 45 minutes of running.

The whole thing reminds me a bit of the USA tyre fiasco, where the opposite ruling was made.

Well it might remind you of it, but it's really in no way comparable. That was down to Michelin's error in the construction and design of its tyres.

This was down to modern F1 design and rules not allowing for the cars (any of them)to be safely controlled in those conditions.

pants

I don't disagree with the red flag in the sense that it was too dangerous to allow any more running. The question then becomes, do you then let the clock to continue running and expire naturally at the time it would've expired had there been no red flag. If you do that then, as you say, it would be just like the old days of the 60 minute single session where if you did not get a time in early and the weather changed or something happened to cause a red flag, tough luck. That does make sense.

However, the problem there is, what sort of TV spectacle would qualifying be if you allowed the clock to keep running in the event of a Red Flag? The sessions are supposed to be short and action packed (20/15/10 min sessions) and they are pretty exciting as a result. If you allowed to clock to keep running after a red flag because of an accident or a downpour, you'd get a lot of sessions finishing with drivers 'out of position' because many wouldn't have put in representative laptimes early enough. That would give you some pretty jumbled up grids, for sure, but I think the TV companies and the fans who pay to come and watch want to get their moneys worth and see a full session where the grid is decided by a full 45 minutes of running.
I'm not a fan of the current quali format, 60 mins, 12 laps was the best imo. In no way do I think the correct call every-time would be to let the clock run out, but in a session where everyone knew what the deal was and had time to react, it should have. The way it was done yesterday makes it feel very contrived.

Well it might remind you of it, but it's really in no way comparable. That was down to Michelin's error in the construction and design of its tyres.

This was down to modern F1 design and rules not allowing for the cars (any of them)to be safely controlled in those conditions.
Remind me, yes. Comparable no.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Lets hope the Lotus cars don't do what their counterparts did in the GP2 race just finished.

Both crashed out making stupid overtaking moves

Yen

Edmond Dantès;39632030 said:
Can't be for anything in this thread and there's nothing offensive in any other thread he's posted in, so it could be a self imposed ban. Maybe he just needed a break.

I think he might've said "fuck you" to someone in this thread.

Top Bottom