• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Sky's buildup starts at 11am, they really are going for quantity over quality....

2 hours before the race =/

It's like they see what the BBC is doing and think "We have to top this!".

BBC has an one hour buildup? Lets do two hours!
BBC uses an iPad? Lets use a 50" touchscreen!
BBC has a former F1 driver? Lets have two of them!

What are the recent weather predictions? Cause GP2 and now Porsche Supercup seems pretty dry...

Mixed. Depending who you believe, it's either going to stay dry or piss it down. There's no current consensus among the teams according to Andrew Benson, so hopefully that will lead to a range of strategies being attempted.

If Schumacher keeps driving like this, I'm pretty sure he'll still be there next season.

What's interesting about that situation is that Schumacher has said that we wants to wait before he makes his decision, whereas Brawn was recently quoted as saying that they'll get their drivers sorted in a matter of weeks. It's possible that Schumacher has since had a change of heart (or has been forced into having one), but that could be read as an indication that Mercedes are looking for fresh blood.

Which wouldn't be all that surprising given that they have di Resta and Bird waiting in the wings (although I wonder if the split from Hamilton was due to him cocking up di Resta's Merc drive chances).

moojito

Gah, I have to go to work soon, and will have to do the whole news emargo thing, hoping that people at work will be distracted enough by the tennis not to spoil the race!

Unless... *cough cough*. Ohh, not feeling so goood :<

Lucius86

Banned
img_20120708_11103296b2v.jpg

Laptop ready for Wimbledon, love Sundays like these. Nothing beats this when you have a hangover (bacon sandwich out of shot).

Sloane

Banned
Mixed. Depending who you believe, it's either going to stay dry or piss it down. There's no current consensus among the teams according to Andrew Benson, so hopefully that will lead to a range of strategies being attempted.
Bet it will be dry for most of the race but they'll be telling us "rain in 15 minutes" and then we'll get some light rain for the final 3 laps. Or not.

Juicy Bob

I'm not a fan of the current quali format, 60 mins, 12 laps was the best imo. In no way do I think the correct call every-time would be to let the clock run out, but in a session where everyone knew what the deal was and had time to react, it should have. The way it was done yesterday makes it feel very contrived.
I do see what you mean, although I think what happened yesterday was perfectly acceptable because it was consistent with how similar situations have been handled in the past (Brazil 2009).

I do disagree with you about qualifying, though. I don't think the 60 minute, 12 lap format was bad or had many problems with it, it just wasn't as exciting or challenging as the current knock-out system, which I love. The current system is action-packed, it challenges the drivers to put in multiple hot laps in a short amount of time, it increases the likelihood of top drivers starting lower on the grid if they make a mistake and it's created new milestones and targets for the teams. Some teams will be chastised for failing to make Q3 while other teams, like Caterham, will celebrate getting into Q2 like it was an actual pole position. All in all, I think the current qualifying format is the best the sport's ever had and I would prefer it to stay as it is.

I do see what you mean, although I think what happened yesterday was perfectly acceptable because it was consistent with how similar situations have been handled in the past (Brazil 2009).

I do disagree with you about qualifying, though. I don't think the 60 minute, 12 lap format was bad or had many problems with it, it just wasn't as exciting or challenging as the current knock-out system, which I love. The current system is action-packed, it challenges the drivers to put in multiple hot laps in a short amount of time, it increases the likelihood of top drivers starting lower on the grid if they make a mistake and it's created new milestones and targets for the teams. Some teams will be chastised for failing to make Q3 while other teams, like Caterham, will celebrate getting into Q2 like it was an actual pole position. All in all, I think the current qualifying format is the best the sport's ever had and I would prefer it to stay as it is.

I just wish the teams would use extra tyres for qualifying. It's annoying to see some teams not bothering with Q3, because they're already in the top 10 and don't want to waste their tyres.

pants

Nah, I disagree. The post Schumacher rules put in place to stop F1 being "boring" actually took more away from the spectacle for me. The lower tier teams got screen time and the commentators got the opportunity to talk about a wide array of interesting stories, rules and back of the paddock fun. Rules set in place to trip up teams like starting with quali fuel takes away from the feeling that in quali the fastest package gets rewarded. Even with pre-schumacher rules there were many surprises with weather, teams just hooking it up on a circuit, going on a slightly longer run and such. You always felt that the pole sitter was deserving, at the moment I cant say I feel that. And just having every car on the track like it's a practice session makes it really unfun for me.

deroli

New gaf member here. I don't root for a particular driver, as I am more interested in thrilling races and an exciting championship (although I wouldn't mind seeing Schumi winning a race again).
So far, this season has been great :) I REALLY hope for changing conditions today. The monaco grand prix was such a tease with the rain coming down few minutes after the finish.

Top Bottom