• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Dead Man

Fell asleep for the last 5 minutes. Wake up to Webber on Pole. Feel like I should sleep through the last half of the race too, might wake up to him winning LOL

So, Kimi said yesterday that the car can be in the top five if they get everything right.

Seems like they did :) and the gap to pole is not as big as it was since after the break. Too bad this coanda exhaust came a bit too late.

I'm just hoping for a win now, although it seems like it's very unlikely with the new Redbulls

Bagerk

webber is so unlikeable

Ohhh I didn't realise it was opposite day today. It has been about 15 years since my last opposite day. Wait if it's opposite day and I say it is opposite day that means it isn't opposite day. So it isn't opposite day (which means it is).

Hammer24

Banned
OK, so we got:
- a Vettel pole in disguise
- a Button (unsurprisingly) not getting his tires in working condition
- new fotos explaining RBR next DDRS iteration (that they are driving since Singapur, aka domination):
+ its not like Merc going to the front wing, but on three places on the beamwing (lower part of rear wing)
- VET on the radio was mad at Massa, because he hindered him on his warmup lap, so he got the tires not on the optimal temperature
- HAM believes his race pace to be better than RBR´s
- Lotus happy to get the Coanda finally to work, RAI (with) 0.3sec faster than GRO (without)
- Merc with lots of head scratching: ROS didn´t get his tires on temperature in Sector 1, MSC´s got too hot in the same sector. Thats why ROS drove so aggressive on his last stint, getting the best overall Sec1 time - but the tires didn´t hold for the full lap.

In all probably going to be a rather boring race, with the tires being extremely stable (Pirelli: Whe should be able to build a special compound only for this race, as you could drive the whole race on the same rear tires at least). So we´re going to see one stoppers mostly.

In all probably going to be a rather boring race, with the tires being extremely stable (Pirelli: Whe should be able to build a special compound only for this race, as you could drive the whole race on the same rear tires at least). So we´re going to see one stoppers mostly.

Here's hoping for some risk-taking driver to drive quali laps all through the race and does 2 pit stops or three. I bet he, whomever he is, will create an entertaining race

I just realized that Grosjean is 7th(?). Still potential for some front row mayhem in the first turn :/

Grosjean told to watch his step or face longer bans

Swiss steward Paul Gutjahr, a F1 steward since 1995, told Blick newspaper in Korea: “The Frenchman is warned. Another crash, and he will be a spectator on more than another occasion.”

Grosjean has admitted that Lotus is “not happy” with him after his latest crash.

“The team told me they are not happy,” he told RMC Sport in Korea. “I am not happy with the situation either. We have 550 employees working (with Lotus) so I am aware of the situation and now it’s up to me to find a solution.”

NHale

Alonso fourth instead of fifth? Development!

More important is that the reduced difference between them and Red Bull. It was 1 second at Singapore, here it's 0.3.

And in race pace everyone believes Ferrari can be as fastest as McLaren with Red Bull slightly behind (they probably sandbagged the race sims on Friday). However race pace doesn't matter much if you are behind someone.

Hammer24

Banned
GLO hopes they can get to midfield next year.
- no significant rule changes wont put them at a disadvantage
- thanks to Williams partnership the 2013 car will have KERS
- thanks to McLaren partnership (they can use the Woking wind tunnel) the 2013 car is well into development, so they wont be late as this year

Concerning GRO - I hope right at the start he simply drives to the side to let the field pass... butin doing so he´d probably still bowl half of the grid into the pit wall.

Dilly

Banned
More important is that the reduced difference between them and Red Bull. It was 1 second at Singapore, here it's 0.3.

And in race pace everyone believes Ferrari can be as fastest as McLaren with Red Bull slightly behind (they probably sandbagged the race sims on Friday). However race pace doesn't matter much if you are behind someone.

And being behind Red Bull is worthless, doesn't matter if the Ferrari is third or tenth considering RB pace. I wonder if people really believe that Vettel vs Alonso crap, it's Vettel vs no one since last 2 races.

Luckily I can check the results first before watching qualy/race, because they're so early.

ibbZp1b8SzfX2L.png

Hammer24

Banned
I wonder if people really believe that Vettel vs Alonso crap, it's Vettel vs no one since last 2 races.

True! But now that the others know what RBR gave that boost, I fully expect Maranello to go to overtime to copy that system for themselves.
There´s still a couple of races to go, and they could still turn this around.

Dilly

Banned
True! But now that the others know what RBR gave that boost, I fully expect Maranello to go to overtime to copy that system for themselves.
There´s still a couple of races to go, and they could still turn this around.

Ferrari can't turn it around for 3 years. They're suddenly not going to copy and improve Red Bull's system in 2 months.

And still, the damage is already done then. If Vettel doesn't retire, he's WC again this year and I'm sure as hell not going to watch that again.

Hammer24

Banned
They're suddenly not going to copy and improve Red Bull's system in 2 months.

Why so bitter? RBR´s DDRS is so simple, that I can´t imagine why Maranello couldn´t copy this within two weeks. Its obvious how much of an improvement this system is, that I fully expect all the big manufacturers to look into it asap.

Dilly

Banned
Because it's Ferrari and it's not going to make the car a race winning car all of the sudden. It never bounced back pace wise after Hungaroring.

Hammer24

Banned
Because it's Ferrari.

??? Does not compute. For years they have been outspending the competitors to a point, where they more or less bought themselves the championships. Now with RBR there is a competitor whos able and willing to go toe to toe with them on the financial front, but I do not expect them to suddenly roll over and play dead. The Fiat pressure on them is so big, and the race still so close, they simply have to do anything it takes - and I fully expect them to.

Hammer24

Banned
*COUGH* Maldonado *COUGH*

Drivers with two warnings (when a third would automatically at least mean a loss of ten grid spots):
- MSC
- VET
- DLR
... and Maldonado.

PS: Vettel explained his Massa rant. He said he thought Massa was on his way to the box, but as he didn´t he was too close to him when starting his last timed lap. He said its not Massa´s fault, but of his race engineer who didn´t inform him - otherwise he´d simply left more room. Thats why he was mad at his engineer over the radio.

Dilly

Banned
??? Does not compute. For years they have been outspending the competitors to a point, where they more or less bought themselves the championships. Now with RBR there is a competitor whos able and willing to go toe to toe with them on the financial front, but I do not expect them to suddenly roll over and play dead. The Fiat pressure on them is so big, and the race still so close, they simply have to do anything it takes - and I fully expect them to.

Except that they haven't won a championship since 2007. I'm not saying they're rolling over and play dead, I'm saying it just won't matter.

But hey, I would be glad if I still would find this championship exciting for the last 5 races.

Ferrari will not copy anything aero related. They have an outdated wind tunnel system, they admitted that.

Xun

Oh shit I'm in this thread without knowing the result...

...aside from Webber getting it.

I was too lazy to get up early.

Omiee

It would be stupid if RBR do not back Vettel up for the championship fight. Webber is to far away now.

If the gap is under 5 seconds and webber is leading, i think RBR should use team orders so that webber lets vettel win and extend his lead to alonso or match his points total.

Unless Vettel gets overtaken at the start I can't see Webber being ahead at the end. This year he seems to have always been harder on his tyres.

Massa

It would be stupid if RBR do not back Vettel up for the championship fight. Webber is to far away now.

If the gap is under 5 seconds and webber is leading, i think RBR should use team orders so that webber lets vettel win and extend his lead to alonso or match his points total.

No team orders at Red Bull please, keep that crap with the smaller teams.

f0rk

So the most interesting thing the BBC could find near the Korean track was a massive shipyard... sums up the GP really.

So the most interesting thing the BBC could find near the Korean track was a massive shipyard... sums up the GP really.

I didn't actually mind driving the track (when I could still be bothered to play F1 2011), unlike say, Singapore, but it's just so crushingly dull to look at. Such a shame that they decided to build the track in the middle of nowhere.

Shaneus

Ohhh I didn't realise it was opposite day today. It has been about 15 years since my last opposite day. Wait if it's opposite day and I say it is opposite day that means it isn't opposite day. So it isn't opposite day (which means it is).
This post made me laugh way harder than it should.
a) Because it's actually pretty fucking funny
b) I'm drunk

Alonso fourth instead of fifth? Development!
That's because with Webber on pole, no-one else has a lock on fourth.

Ferrari is no small team imo.

Why would you not let vettel take 7 extra points that webber does not need as hard as vettel does.
As far as the WDC goes, I'm pretty sure that Webber needs them more than Vettel. But hey, you're Omiee... you're just as entitled to ridiculous statements about Vettel as I am about Webber.

PS. Being drunk (totally my excuse right now), I love how bad this makes him sound:
“I did not read his statements, but he came to see me after the race in my room,” said Grosjean. “He was annoyed but that’s normal. I apologised and it’s all I can do. I have not read any press or anything, but I know that when I get out of this situation, I will be stronger.”
Like it's "normal" for people to be annoyed with him, regardless of circumstance. I find that hilarous.

If they arrive at the corner 1-2 even with Vettel in 2nd, he'll overtake Webber in pits or on track.

Vettel is the faster driver overall and he's now in sync with the car. I think it took him a little bit at the beginning of the year to get accustomed to the car.

Leunam

PQC1S.png

2011 Race Summary

The race started with contact at the back, between a Sauber and the Toro Rosso of Sébastien Buemi. Vettel positioned his car behind Hamilton to pick up the slipstream from his car, in order to move close enough to make a passing manoeuvre, and passed Hamilton for the lead at Turn 4. In the meantime, Massa had moved up to third position, passing both Webber and Button. Into turn 4, Button tried to pass Massa around the outside of the turn, but both drivers were delayed enough to allow Webber to pass them both, and Alonso further displaced Button through turn 6. At the end of the lap, Liuzzi was forced to pit, to replace a damaged front wing. On lap 14, there was a pit stop battle between Button and Rosberg. They entered the pits, Button ahead, and Rosberg emerged from his box ahead of Button, after a quicker pit stop. When the pair exited the pits, Rosberg braked too late, and Button passed him. Rosberg then deployed his DRS, and would pass Button again, before Button reversed the move the following lap.

On lap 17, there was a crash between Petrov and Schumacher, causing both cars to retire with damage, and the safety car to be deployed. Petrov and Alonso had been battling over track position on the straight, but both missed the braking zone, and Petrov rammed into the back of Schumacher, damaging Schumacher's rear wing. Petrov was later given a five-place grid penalty for the Indian Grand Prix, for causing an avoidable collision. The safety car came in on lap 20, where Vettel extended his lead once again. On lap 27, Rosberg was defending fifth place, from Massa and Alonso, but Rosberg missed his braking point and lost track position to them both. Pastor Maldonado was given a drive-through penalty for entering the pit lane too fast, and later retired due to a clutch problem. On lap 33, the battle for second place between Hamilton and Webber saw both drivers pit, with Hamilton returning to the track ahead. Webber dived up the inside of Hamilton to take second place at Turn 6. Hamilton continued alongside Webber on the run to the next corner, and Webber had to yield, thus handing the place back to Hamilton.

Later in the race Ferrari pitted Massa, but Alonso decided to stay out, consequently leading the race for a few laps. This worked out best for Alonso, because Massa was held up in traffic, and Alonso was not. Later on, after Alonso had pitted, Alonso was closing in on the cars ahead. He caught up with only a few laps to spare, setting a fastest lap on the way. Alonso then came on the radio saying "I give up. I give up." It was later revealed that he meant he had arrived too late, and there was nothing he could do, so he kept fifth. Vettel took his tenth victory of the season, ahead of Hamilton – who took his first podium since the German Grand Prix – and Webber, the latter's result ensuring that Red Bull became 2011 Constructors' World Champion with three races remaining. Button was fourth, and Alonso finished fifth, followed by Massa, Alguersuari, Rosberg, Buemi and di Resta, who completed the points scoring positions.

Circuit Info

[Click for Onboard]

XR8gX.png

Laps
55​
Circuit length
5.615 km (3.480 mi)​
Race length
308.825 km (191.400 mi)​
Lap Record
Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull-Renault - 2011 - 1:39.605​
Most Wins (Drivers)
Sebastian Vettel & Fernando Alonso (1)​
Most Wins (Constructors)
Red Bull-Renaul & Ferrari (1)​

Previous Winners

2011 - Sebastian Vettel for Red Bull-Renault
2010 - Fernando Alonso for Ferrari

Videos and highlights of the Korean Grand Prix

Highlights from the 2011 Korean Grand Prix

Highlights from the 2010 Korean Grand Prix

Changes from 2011

-A number of verges have been laid with asphalt and painted with green non-slip paint and drainage has been improved in the pit entry.
-The artificial grass on the exit of turn 13 has been extended as far as the end of the asphalt run-off.
-The “sausage” kerb on the apex of turn 18 has been lowered by approximately 30mm and the leading 1.5m chamfered linearly to zero.
-Higher debris fences have been installed on the right between turns 7 and 9.
-The DRS zone on the main straight has been extended by 80m.

GP Facts

-Vettel has been on the front row for both his Korean GP starts, the German lining up behind pole position winner Lewis Hamilton last year.
-Hamilton, meanwhile, has finished both his Korean GPs in second place. In 2010 he rose two places from fourth on the grid but last time out was passed by Vettel on lap one of the race and failed to reel in the dominant Red Bull Racing RB7 over the course of the following 55 laps.
-First and third places for Vettel and Webber respectively last year brought Red Bull Racing enough points to claim back-to-back Constructors’ Championship titles, with three races in hand. Vettel had claimed his second Drivers’ crown a week earlier in Japan.
-The main straight at the Korea International Circuit covers 1050m, the fourth longest of the season, after Shanghai International Circuit (1170m), Abu Dhabi’s Yas Marina (1140m) and Italy’s Monza (1120m).

MUBIM.jpg

Drivers Championship
aYrM6.png

Constructors Championship
qVREG.png

Fantasy League Championship
rfIso.png

Massa

Ferrari is no small team imo.

Why would you not let vettel take 7 extra points that webber does not need as hard as vettel does.

Webber needs it more if anything. He's still a candidate for the title so he will need all the points he can get.

Back in 2010, after retiring in Korea, did you think Vettel should have helped Webber instead of going for the points?

Dead Man

Great preview, but damn that map reinforces what a boring track this is. Long straight, left, right, left right, left, right, left, right etc.

Ark

What makes the track so boring is that there's nothing surrounding it.

I still find it hilarious that they genuinely wanted to build a city around that track.

kharma45

MERCEDES is the dissapointment of the season, by far

Yeah they came in with the DDRS and I expected them to really nail it this season, it was a really innovative system and I thought their factory was ready to make the step up but they've done sweet fuck all and been left behind.

Caterham has also been a big disappointment this year too, with the extra money and move to Renault power I expected them to move forward a lot but they too have got it all wrong.

moojito

I'd give my vote to Caterham. With the renault engine and rbr gearbox (if I remember that right) I was expecting big things from them. As it is, Marussia is looking likely to overtake them as the best of the new teams next year.

Top Bottom