• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

So exactly what happened here when Alonso was leading by 30pts?

Oh the irony...

Hahaha. What an awesome post this is.

Still amazed by home many negative people there are in this thread. Vettel is clearly the favourite now but there's a lot that can still happen. Regardless of who wins, this is the best year of F1 I've seen by far. 3 dodgy races out of 16, amazing.

Shaneus

Still amazed by home many negative people there are in this thread. Vettel is clearly the favourite now but there's a lot that can still happen. Regardless of who wins, this is the best year of F1 I've seen by far. 3 dodgy races out of 16, amazing.
They weren't around during the race, but finally these non-regulars are starting to come out of the woodwork.

Welcome back, guys! See you all next time you have something smarmy to say without contributing at all to the thread in the slightest.

Massa

Yes, no acknowledgement of Felipe's pace and race in Suzuka. But I suspect you're talking about this:

Saying that a second place on raceday is "a bit thanks to the circumstances" is not the same as "more luck than anything" as you put it.

Without his puncture at Suzuka he would probably still be leading, but he would lose it next race anyway. So, what is your point now exactly? Not the first time you post the same comment about Ferrari's car even though everyone agrees that it isn't bad like it was in the beginning of the season.

I never understood that Alonso interview because "luck and circumstances" are the reasons he was leading the championship in the first place. McLaren and Red Bull have been faster than them all season.

Dilly

Banned
I never understood that Alonso interview because "luck and circumstances" are the reasons he was leading the championship in the first place. McLaren and Red Bull have been faster than them all season.

And I don't get what's wrong with saying that. It goes for him too.

Except for the results in Silverstone and Hockenheim, the car was good there regardless of the wet qualifying.

Joni

Wasn't he saying it was mostly luck to back-up his complaints that the Ferrari is still too slow? So he realized quite well that he wasn't up there because of his fast car.

I didn't see any squeezing or bumping, the idiot just straight up ploughed into Button and Rosberg because "the cars in front braked hard" lol

Sauber should get Gutierrez in to replace him for the final four races so the lad can get some experience before the 2013 season.

Krazy K out!

Ark

tumblr_mbw7r1AA5P1r8kneko1_500.png

Thought you guys might appreciate this.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Boring race, RBR is happily destroying the competition, their tracks are coming, DDRS is working as charm.

Mclaren is lost in the dark (i think that Whitmarsh will fly after this season), Ferrari is trying, but I think that is too late.

pants

Dilly I wanted to say I love your avatar. lol at the RB style button on the last page, cant believe that is a thing.

nny

Amazing. :lol

Seriously though, that jump is one of the most memorable things I've ever seen.

I bet Vettel is bummed that Red Bull stole his thunder from today's win with this jump. ;P

(I could imagine Horner screaming on Felix's ears as he landed: "Fantastic!")

Dead Man

One the Danish TV broadcast, a viewer brought up an interesting idea: Using DRS to catch up.

Let's say you have two teammates that need to close a gap. You have the one behind catch up, and use DRS to overtake, getting a boost for that lap. The next lap, you repeat that with the first car passing the second car again. And so on. Would that even work?

Ferrari tried that at Monza for qualy and cocked it up royally.

Cigol

Difference is Alonso wasn't dominating races in a superior car (although it's debateable whether that is more to do with qualifying performance than raw, but it's moot when they lock out on a good track combination). Also... past two seasons they dominated already. Put it into context and it maybe makes more sense. People get bored of dominance by one driver, especially when nobody can take the fight to them when they are doing it.

Except Vettel has been struggling all season and has only just found his form. Nobody has dominated this season, and unless Vettel wins the next 4 races, nobody will have.

I really don't think the next 4 races will be drama free.

Xun

I must admit I regret getting up early to watch the race, especially since it was pretty boring and predictable.

I missed the BBC pre/post coverage, so I'll have to check that out at a later point.

Also I never thought I'd say this, but I'm definitely backing Alonso for the title now since he still stands a chance.

I like Vettel as a person, but I simply don't want him to keep winning. :p

moojito

No one posted this yet? Apparently Hulk to Sauber is a done deal. Gutiérrez alongside him, seemingly.

source

Could start an interesting round of moves. Heikki or Sutil to FI, Alguersuari to Caterham?

Joni

Ferrari tried that at Monza for qualy and cocked it up royally.
Didn't they get up Massa into third place there? I don't know by heart, but that seems to be by far his best result in quali of the season. They just should have done Alonso first so the technical defect didn't take him out.

Shaneus

No one posted this yet? Apparently Hulk to Sauber is a done deal. Gutiérrez alongside him, seemingly.

source

Could start an interesting round of moves. Heikki or Sutil to FI, Alguersuari to Caterham?
I thought Jaime was a lock for FI? At least, the impression I got was that he was headed to a mid-tier team. But that was a while ago.. maybe he was under the impression that by this point in the season, Caterham WOULD be a mid-tier team bahaha.

It is a shame about KK, but he's never really shown the results that Sauber know they can get out of their as proven by Perez. Maybe we can hope for a Honda/Toyota works car in the next year or two and he can be their senior driver.

BBC now reporting F1's worst kept secret...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19941541

This bit was news to me though:

I fully expect Alonso to retire at the end of 2016.

I expect 2014 to be a very close year between Vettel and Alonso as Vettel comes upto speed in Ferrari land. I can see Alonso leading the final standings.

However, I expect Vettel to pull away from Alonso in 2015 and 2016.

Hamilton has written his fate with Mercedes. Sink or swim.

Perez/Maldanado/Grosejan all have potential to be championship contenders in the coming years.

Shaneus

Oh god, I hope that:
a) Webber has a drive in a decent car post-2013
b) Newey doesn't move with Vettel. Vettel and Alonso in a Newey-designed Ferrari could be worrisome.

Given Webber's fitness, he definitely has an expiry post what most people think.

Edit: Up 6! Not in the top 50 yet, but I did better than I thought. McLaren fucking killed me, but RBR/PER/HULK smashed it kinda.

pappe

All is not lost. With the season we have had already i expect there to be a fuck up or a DNF for Vettel somewhere. Atleast i hope so.

acm2000

dull race, but glad alonso no longer leading the title race, shame vettel is going to ferrari it seems, i guess he will turn out like schumacher now, a complete arse

Given Webber's fitness, he definitely has an expiry post what most people think.
If Webber doesn't give up the mountain biking his expiry could be much closer than most people think.

(This is coming from a mountain biker who knows he's only ever a turn away from a broken leg, or worse)

Shaneus

If Webber doesn't give up the mountain biking his expiry could be much closer than most people think.

(This is coming from a mountain biker who knows he's only ever a turn away from a broken leg, or worse)
He drove with a fractured leg in 2010 or something.

Edit: Fractured shoulder. Dude's as fit as a Roman gladiator.
All is not lost. With the season we have had already i expect there to be a fuck up or a DNF for Vettel somewhere. Atleast i hope so.
The last chance of mechanical DNFs died when RBR reverted back to using the 2011-spec alternators :(

Hammer24

Banned
Lets wrap this up...

Psy-Red-Bull-GP-Korea-2012-19-fotoshowImageNew-767e7c06-637422.jpg

- HAM had a broken back stabilizer, thats what ate up his front tires
- Hulk to Sauber is a done deal. Team mate is either Koba or Gutierrez. Gutierrez only if they significantly up their financial offer, as Sauber declared him a "risk".
- MAS will sign his deal this week.
- GRO option will be executed this week thanks to his mistakefree race in Korea.
- Force India driver probabilities, in descending order of chance: Sutil, Buemi, Alguersuari, Barrichello (only if he brings significant money, lol).
- Williams probabilities: Maldonado, Bottas
- Caterham: Kovalainen, Pic
- Marussia: Glock, Chilton
- Toro Rosso: stays with Ricciardo, Vergne

Shaneus

Petrov :(

Didn't know Barrichello was a (remote) chance, either. Would love to see him back (if he's able to keep pace). Glad STR aren't doing anything rash with their drivers and holding onto them. I doubt any would match Vettel's performance with them, but I think they both could be very good drivers in the future. They actually seem to be really solid this back half of the season.

Igo

Oh god, I hope that:
a) Webber has a drive in a decent car post-2013
b) Newey doesn't move with Vettel. Vettel and Alonso in a Newey-designed Ferrari could be worrisome.

Newey's wife already vetoed any move out of England. He's either staying put at Red Bull or going to Mercedes.

Joni

Or the most likely reason being the essentially equal skill between the two drivers...

Also it's a real shame about Kamui. :(

Alonso doesn't want Hamilton because he doesn't want two equal drivers, but he approves of Vettel?

bkw

For someone who hasn't been following F1 for long, why would Vettel move to Ferrari if he's having so much success at Red Bull? Just because it's "Ferrari" ?

Top Bottom