• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

For someone who hasn't been following F1 for long, why would Vettel move to Ferrari if he's having so much success at Red Bull? Just because it's "Ferrari" ?

"Just because it's Ferrari"? It's a legendary team and Vettel always dreamed of driving for them.

atLsc.png

Steady, still a long way from the top.

I'm up 10!!

dropping Kimi was a wise decision. Next race I'll have both RBRs

Yoritomo

He drove with a fractured leg in 2010 or something.

Edit: Fractured shoulder. Dude's as fit as a Roman gladiator.

The last chance of mechanical DNFs died when RBR reverted back to using the 2011-spec alternators :(

He likely lost the championship due to the shoulder issue. He didn't tell the team and his performance wasn't up to par for those races., considering Seb swept all of them. It's fun to talk about conspiracies to keep webber down but he lost in 2010 because of activities off track (mountain biking and fracturing the shoulder). It's his own damned fault.

With the championship already over (vettel has it in the bag, that's right.. I said it!) I already started thinking about next year.
I'm very fearful of Mercedes, what if they can't get their sh*t together just like this year? It would be a Red Bull dominated season all over again, with only Alonso there to spice things up.

Maybe I'll skip watching F1 all together if BBC quits. I don't think I'll be missing all that much...

Hopefully 2014 will energise the sport again.

Hammer24

Banned
Porsche back to Formula 1?

The facts:
- preparing a LMP1 Le Mans Car and Team to take on Audi and Toyota in 2014
The talk:
- for this team they are getting pretty many F1 guys, like Fritz Enzinger (BMW), Alex Hitzinger (engine expert), Mike Krack (engineer), Urs Kuratle (mechanic) - all with Sauber ties. People are wondering why exactly they need F1 guys for a Le Mans team.
- new competence center in Weissach, very state of the art, including a extremely modern wind tunnel - with help from McLaren; again - just for a Le Mans car?
- until now, VW boss Piech shot down any F1 plans (no matter if VW, Audi or Porsche) down, saying its too expensive. If the budget cap comes, this might change the game plan.

Hammer24

Banned
With the championship already over (vettel has it in the bag, that's right.. I said it!)

Weren´t we all sure McLaren had an unbeatable car right up to the Singapore GP? How does that look now?
There are still some races this season, lets wait first if Ferrari is going to come up with something. For India they are bringing new wings, new aero package and new underbody. Lets see if they´ll still copy the RBR DDRS, even if its of no use for 2013.

The facts:
The talk:
- for this team they are getting pretty many F1 guys, like Fritz Enzinger (BMW), Alex Hitzinger (engine expert), Mike Krack (engineer), Urs Kuratle (mechanic) - all with Sauber ties. People are wondering why exactly they need F1 guys for a Le Mans team.
- new competence center in Weissach, very state of the art, including a extremely modern wind tunnel - with help from McLaren; again - just for a Le Mans car?
- until now, VW boss Piech shot down any F1 plans (no matter if VW, Audi or Porsche) down, saying its too expensive. If the budget cap comes, this might change the game plan.

Sounds more like they're taking their LMP1 return very seriously. Even if they somehow stumble back to F1, they'll probably have as much "success" as Mercedes compared to the rest of the upper field :p

But with all this talk about "boring season, RBR 3 year domination", its not even close to how boring LMP is with Audi dominating for over a decade. That's longer than Schumacher and Ferraris reign of terror a decade ago.

Weren´t we all sure McLaren had an unbeatable car right up to the Singapore GP? How does that look now?
There are still some races this season, lets wait first if Ferrari is going to come up with something. For India they are bringing new wings, new aero package and new underbody. Lets see if they´ll still copy the RBR DDRS, even if its of no use for 2013.

I expect the usual "parts didn't work as expected" line. I have 0 confidence in Ferrari to bounce back this season.

thefro

NBC Sports Network & NBC confirmed to get the F1 TV rights in the US for the next 4 years

Canadian Grand Prix race airs on NBC along with the last 3 races. Other 16 races on NBC Sports Network.

They intend to air everything live (practice, quals, race) but are working through a few scheduling conflicts.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...ghts_to_formula_one/srvc=sports&position=also

NBC will air four races — the Canadian Grand Prix in June, and the final three races of the season in November — while the remaining 16 races will air on NBC Sports Network. All practice and qualifying sessions will also be on the cable station.

Miller said the intent is to broadcast everything live, but the network is working through a small number of scheduling conflicts. All 20 races will be live streamed on NBC Sports Group’s live-stream platform.

Miller said NBC Sports Group will use F1’s world feed, but is still ironing out its production details. The network will likely use a reporter on site at every event with a booth based in the U.S. — the same way Speed covered its races — but Miller indicated there was possibility of having an expanded on-site crew at certain events.

Ravenn17

NBC Sports Network & NBC confirmed to get the F1 TV rights in the US for the next 4 years

Canadian Grand Prix race airs on NBC along with the last 3 races. Other 16 races on NBC Sports Network.

They intend to air everything live (practice, quals, race) but are working through a few scheduling conflicts.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...ghts_to_formula_one/srvc=sports&position=also

Speed does a pretty good job with the resources they have, but I would kill to have coverage like BBC/Sky here in the U.S.

Hammer24

Banned
Sounds more like they're taking their LMP1 return very seriously. Even if they somehow stumble back to F1, they'll probably have as much "success" as Mercedes compared to the rest of the upper field :p

IF they return, I would expect them just as an engine supplier. I find it curious, they´d almost exclusively take Sauber guys. Could be for the German language background - could be more. End even if they´d return, then we are talking 2016+.

I expect the usual "parts didn't work as expected" line. I have 0 confidence in Ferrari to bounce back this season.

Might depend on what they are willing to spend on this years title. Wind tunnel testing is expensive, and they wouldn´t be able to use the DDRS next year anyways. On the other hand the title is still in their reach, I can´t fathom they simply present it away.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Maybe will Vettel turn Alonso into his lapdog, like Alonso did with Felipe :D

Also, there are several other factors with Vettel to Ferrari equation....

Might depend on what they are willing to spend on this years title. Wind tunnel testing is expensive, and they wouldn´t be able to use the DDRS next year anyways. On the other hand the title is still in their reach, I can´t fathom they simply present it away.

For the last 3 years, Ferrari sucked in the aero department. Last year they had a pathetic copy of the RBR flex wing that didn't help at all and last week they finally admitted that their wind tunnel tech sucked. There's nothing to be turned around. You can quote me on that.

Hammer24

Banned
...and last week they finally admitted that their wind tunnel tech sucked.

Thats something I´d debate. For me this citation sounds more like shifting blame from people to tech. As far as I know there is nothing wrong with their tunnel.

There's nothing to be turned around. You can quote me on that.

After winter tests, and even the start of the season, I´d have agreed. Not now, with still enough races and a rather small gap in points.

This reads like an Onion article (if they'd cover F1) or an April's fools joke:

India names kerb after Massa

Following some embarrassing slip-ups, organisers of the Indian Grand Prix have named one of their kerbs after Felipe Massa. Over the course of the 2011 weekend, the Ferrari driver broke his front suspension against kerbs not once, but twice.

The piece named ‘Massa kerb’ is on the apex of Turn 8, which is the rapid right-hander which is the first part of a high-speed chicane. In qualifying last year, the Ferrari broke its right-front suspension and ended up in the barriers after clouting the kerb at speed. A day later, Massa’s race ended in the same way when he removed the left-front suspension following a hit with the other kerb on the exit of the chicane.
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/285686/india-names-kerb-after-massa/

Sounds good at the start at least. I'm still worried, though - I really like Speed's team and I think they'll be difficult to top.

They have good chemistry together and really seem to enjoy watching the race instead of just being commentators.

Fisico

- HAM had a broken back stabilizer, thats what ate up his front tires
- Hulk to Sauber is a done deal. Team mate is either Koba or Gutierrez. Gutierrez only if they significantly up their financial offer, as Sauber declared him a "risk".
- MAS will sign his deal this week.
- GRO option will be executed this week thanks to his mistakefree race in Korea.
- Force India driver probabilities, in descending order of chance: Sutil, Buemi, Alguersuari, Barrichello (only if he brings significant money, lol).
- Williams probabilities: Maldonado, Bottas
- Caterham: Kovalainen, Pic
- Marussia: Glock, Chilton
- Toro Rosso: stays with Ricciardo, Vergne

Where's Bianchi :( ?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I still read F1GAF avidly, in fact it's my only source of F1 info these days. I haven't really been watching F1 for a while and I'd feel out of my depth trying to discuss it with nothing to contribute. Has my love for F1 reached its nadir? Maybe. Is it permanent? Certainly not.

The thread may not be what it used to be as Ark said, but it's a damn fine community with many great posters and new contributors like Hammer24 whose added insight is superb. Keep up the fine work.

Salute gentlemen.

mblitek

The facts:
The talk:

I don't know, Porsche is very profit driven and was almost a Finance company first rather than a manufacturer. Profit is primo at Porsche.

I have a contact at a reasonably high level in Porsche, I'll surprise him with your guessing!

mblitek

Edmond Dantès;43227533 said:
I still read F1GAF avidly, in fact it's my only source of F1 info these days. I haven't really been watching F1 for a while and I'd feel out of my depth trying to discuss it with nothing to contribute. Has my love for F1 reached its nadir? Maybe. Is it permanent? Certainly not.

The thread may not be what it used to be as Ark said, but it's a damn fine community with many great posters and new contributors like Hammer24 whose added insight is superb. Keep up the fine work.

Salute gentlemen.

Ebb & Flow, no reason to leave. I mean, varied input is THE raison d'être of a Forum/Thread, correct?

Top Bottom