• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

NHale

And you believe it?

Diario AS also claimed Alonso and new team sponsor Santander would be introduced to the Ferrari faithful at the Scuderia's 'World Finals' event at Valencia in November, where the Renault driver would appear as a special guest.

However, Ferrari has now issued a statement emphatically denying the reports, dismissing any talk of Alonso racing for the team next year as rumour-mongering.

Ferrari spokesperson Luca Colajanni told Italy's Gazzetta dello Sport: "We are not going to waste our time commenting on speculation. Everyone should remember that (Felipe) Massa and Raikkonen have contracts which include 2010."

And when Vettel denies the rumors, remember what Alonso said 2 months before the official announcement:

The Italian and Spanish media has this week reported that Alonso is set to drive for Ferrari in 2010, probably replacing Kimi Raikkonen if the Finn decides to pursue a career in the World Rally Championship.

Renault driver Alonso, however, denied he had any contracts with Ferrari, and said he had not even talked to the team about his future.

"They are only rumours. They have been happening in the last four or five years," Alonso told reporters in Germany.

When asked if he had been talking to Ferrari or if you had a Ferrari contract, he said: "No, and no."

And what Luca DiMontezemelo said 1 year before the official announcement:

Gazzetta dello Sport, reported that Alonso did turn the cold shoulder towards Ferrari management for the 2009 season. However the report said Alonso did commit to a two year contract to drive for Ferrari, starting in 2010.

Ferrari president Luca Di Montezemolo has denied both reports. Montezemolo went on to say "we confirmed Massa and Raikkonen for 2009 and 2010; we have a lot of faith in these drivers."

Shaneus

Fuck off. I'd be the coolest cunt in the pub wearing that.

The Mark Webber t-shirt is crap, otherwise I could be tempted by that 2 for £30 offer, ha.
Hey Foli, check this out:
RBR polar fleece blanket. It can be personalised, so you can designate it as the Webber jizz rag. Convenient!

But you're right about that t-shirt though. I bought it from the RBR store last year and I don't think I've worn it once. There's another one that's actually nice (has a 2 on it, the MW logo on the sleeve) but yeah, the other one just looks weird :(

Also, buy the front wing that they stole off Webber to give to Vettel in the 2010 Silverstone GP!

And you believe it?

And when Vettel denies the rumors, remember what Alonso said 2 months before the official announcement:

And what Luca DiMontezemelo said 1 year before the official announcement:

Kimi was a different case. And the last quote was when Kimi just signed the extension although the rumors were peaking. Ferrari couldn't do anything to stop Kimi from extension.

LdM said that he wouldn't put Kimi and Alonso in the same team. Back then us, Kimi fans, thought that means Kimi is safe, it was actually the other way around.

Ferrari are extremely happy with Alonso, so if he says almost the same exact statement, that means Alonso is safe, unless Alonso's seat is in danger? Which I extremely doubt

Also the idea of buying Kimi's contract out, only came during the middle of the 2009 campaign

From the quotes above, only Alonso was lying

Hammer24

Banned
Ready for some more tidbits? No? Well, here they come anyways...: ;-P
- with Buemi about to get a drive, RBR needs a new simulator guy. Brasilian Felix da Costa gets the job. In addition, they want him to win the Renault world series to prepare for a Toro Rosso seat.
- Ron Dennis just lost a couple million bucks. He invested heavily in the McLaren Tooned series, preparing a comic book and even a movie - with HAM gone, thats not a keeper...
- everyone in the circus had big fun on Peter Sauber birthday. Eddie Jordan delivered a nice speech, and even the marshalls got in on the fun: they handed him an official FIA letter, containing sanctions for curfew breaking. Attached was a foto from the pit lane cameras, altered to make it look like it was shot at night, with Peter strolling the pit lanes.
- WEB very mad at Armstrong. He says as a bicycle fan he is very much disappointed in him, and thinks it destroys the sport.

acm2000

- with Buemi about to get a drive, RBR needs a new simulator guy. Brasilian Felix da Costa gets the job. In addition, they want him to win the Renault world series to prepare for a Toro Rosso seat.
- Ron Dennis just lost a couple million bucks. He invested heavily in the McLaren Tooned series, preparing a comic book and even a movie - with HAM gone, thats not a keeper...
- everyone in the circus had big fun on Peter Sauber birthday. Eddie Jordan delivered a nice speech, and even the marshalls got in on the fun: they handed him an official FIA letter, containing sanctions for curfew breaking. Attached was a foto from the pit lane cameras, altered to make it look like it was shot at night, with Peter strolling the pit lanes.
- WEB very mad at Armstrong. He says as a bicycle fan he is very much disappointed in him, and thinks it destroys the sport.

hahaha, love it

Hammer24

Banned
Don't open old wounds, can you elaborate? Was he friends with Armstrong or something?

Not really. Just Schu being Schu. Full quote, my translation:
"Athletes have a totally different view on things than people not involved with sports. Every kind of sport happens at a different time and under different circumstances - you can like this or not. With the knowledge we have now, judging things that happened ten years ago, that makes no sense from the point of view of an athlete. Whatever was in the past, is in the past, I´m not going to open this up again. If I look at my races from 2002, and judge what kind of mistakes I made... we gotta ask ourselves: is this right, does this make sense?"

AcridMeat

Banned
Right I can see where he's coming from, but Lance was a forerunner for the cheating itself. A much bigger deal than what Schuey is talking about. Thanks for the clarification.

Shaneus

I think part of the reason that Webs is so strongly opinionated about it (other than his personality, natch) is that he's a very physical athlete himself. Just look at the Mark Webber Challenge (or whatever it's called) held in Tasmania during the off-season. Hardly a walk in the park.

Hammer24

Banned
I think part of the reason that Webs is so strongly opinionated about it (other than his personality, natch) is that he's a very physical athlete himself. Just look at the Mark Webber Challenge (or whatever it's called) held in Tasmania during the off-season. Hardly a walk in the park.

He's also a massive cycling nut.

And he knows Armstrong personally, thats why he is so disappointed.

Oh, and let me leave this here for Shaneus:

mark-webber-plakat-fo6pqtv.jpg

Xun

It's not like this can't continue with Perez, but Dennis really shouldn't have invested so much into it so soon.

I know some guys who worked on it, and a lot of their work will go to waste.

Hammer24

Banned
It's not like this can't continue with Perez, so I don't see the big deal.

The issue I do see is a lot of episodes that were already created could go to waste.

As far as I understood, they were pretty far into pre production. And we´re talking about the comic book and movie, not just the small episodes.

DBT85

As far as I understood, they were pretty far into pre production. And we´re talking about the comic book and movie, not just the small episodes.

He shouldn't have invested money in something long term featuring someone who only had 1 year left on his contract.

xptoxyz

If you mean Félix da Costa from the "young drivers" he's not Brazilian but Portuguese.

This one as most people said seems proportioned in a strange way, couple mil?

Can't be saved by a model swap? Haha.

duckroll

LOL! I just read that Hamilton wanted to take all his engineers out for a bowling session after the race weekend, and he booked 16 lanes at an alley, only to find out that they agreed to go running with Button instead. 0wn3d. Lololol. Poor Hamilton, nothing's going right for him these days. :(

DBT85

From Hamilton himself

"I booked 16 lanes at the bowling alley for Saturday night, but something else came up so the guys weren't able to do it," said the 27-year-old. "They were already committed before. They went for a run with JB or something like that."

Dead Man

LOL! I just read that Hamilton wanted to take all his engineers out for a bowling session after the race weekend, and he booked 16 lanes at an alley, only to find out that they agreed to go running with Button instead. 0wn3d. Lololol. Poor Hamilton, nothing's going right for him these days. :(

Jesus, now I feel sorry for the guy :(

duckroll

I think the lesson from the last few weeks for Hamilton is that it pays to check stuff out before going ahead and doing something.

- If he checked with McLaren before posting company data on Twitter, they would have told him no, and he would have avoided looking like a dumbass.

- If he checked whether Button ever followed him on Twitter to begin with he wouldn't have looked like a dumbass about it.

- If he checked with his team when they were free for a "surprise", he wouldn't look like a moron when he finds out they weren't available to have fun with him.

He just seems to jump the gun on every decision these days, and it's really making him look bad.

amar212

Hamilton is a great guy and even better driver and here is a great opportunity to post my favorite picture of him, photographed by great friend of mine, Armin Smailovic.

This photograph is even more foretelling than it was 3 years ago when it was made in Mercedes museum for purposes of Hamilton's interview for one German magazine.

Armin works and lives in Germany but also in the whole world. If you are interested you can check his whole portfolio here.

fixed_2004.jpg

Igo

Is Lewis being kept so far out of the loop that no one even informed him that the team were doing a charity event that weekend? That's just sad.

From Hamilton himself

"I booked 16 lanes at the bowling alley for Saturday night, but something else came up so the guys weren't able to do it," said the 27-year-old. "They were already committed before. They went for a run with JB or something like that."

lol I really want to listen in on conversations between him and Nicole.

Would have liked them to get Hulk or someone fresh, Massa just needs to move on already, been shit most of the season, only able to aid Alonso's chance at the championship in 1 race, other than that he's done nothing to help the battle. I seriously doubt the will be able to carry his form of late though a whole season.

Although if they did get someone else they would have only been there for 1 year, so I guess it makes sense. I just hope we get cardboard Massa for his last year at Ferrari and not the Massa we've become used to.

Addnan

I expect Massa to have a pretty decent season next year, the guy has nothing to lose. He will be leaving Ferrari either way, no pressure on him. Should have a half decent season.

On Lotus, sad that they couldn't keep up the development pace and give Kimi a chance at the championship :( Started so well, hopefully next season they can be just a little bit more competitive.

and is anyone subscribed to autosport.com? Is it worth it?

Cigol

I think the lesson from the last few weeks for Hamilton is that it pays to check stuff out before going ahead and doing something.

- If he checked with McLaren before posting company data on Twitter, they would have told him no, and he would have avoided looking like a dumbass.

- If he checked whether Button ever followed him on Twitter to begin with he wouldn't have looked like a dumbass about it.

- If he checked with his team when they were free for a "surprise", he wouldn't look like a moron when he finds out they weren't available to have fun with him.

He just seems to jump the gun on every decision these days, and it's really making him look bad.
Isn't it a regular event that Hamilton takes his team bowling each year? I'm sure I read something about it last year. I suspect he also knew it was wrong to post telemetry in the same weekend Button was surprisingly faster than him in qualifying (because of different car parts). His behavior - petulant at the best of times - isn't going to be helped by his contract status. Alonso was a cry baby before he left.

I expect Massa to have a pretty decent season next year, the guy has nothing to lose. He will be leaving Ferrari either way, no pressure on him. Should have a half decent season.

Only if he was allowed to battle Alonso which I can't see happening.

In the last race, they could've easily let Massa through because he was clearly much faster, and have a shot at Webber. By doing that he could've put some pressure on the Redbulls, and if Vettel's team radio was true, we could've seen Vettel retire from the race or pit for fresh tyres

They can always ask Massa to slow down in the final laps if the plan didn't work and let Alonso through

On Lotus, sad that they couldn't keep up the development pace and give Kimi a chance at the championship :( Started so well, hopefully next season they can be just a little bit more competitive.

Happens every year though. Lotus always comes out strong (Petrov getting a podium finish last year at Melbourne), but for whatever reason they always never recover after the summer break :/

The best thing we can hope for is a strong car for Kimi to take advantage of in the beginning of the season, then just play damage control halfway through the season like Alonso.

Happens every year though. Lotus always comes out strong (Petrov getting a podium finish last year at Melbourne), but for whatever reason they always never recover after the summer break :/

The best thing we can hope for is a strong car for Kimi to take advantage of in the beginning of the season, then just play damage control halfway through the season like Alonso.

Ture, they just can't keep up with the big teams. And it only happened last year and this one. Since 2007 they've been crap, beginning of season or the rest of it.

Lotus should focus on Kimi more, unlike this year. If they had given him Mugello test instead of Grosjean ("to get more used to the car"), they might have fixed his steering issues earlier and not waste more than 2 Fridays just changing his steering wheel.

Bouliier was clearly favoring Gros and hoped he can deliver, if it wasn't for that, Kimi might have won Bahrain at least

If they focus on Kimi the way Ferrari does for Alonso, they might have a chance for the WDC. WCC is no way within their reach.

Felipe Baby is back!!
He will win at least one race before the end of this season.
I predict Brasil... Believe!
I hope he outscores Alfonso next year.

Felipe Baby is back!!
He will win at least one race before the end of this season.
I predict Brasil... Believe!
I hope he outscores Alfonso next year.

Alonso is jinxed forever. He should never win a WDC with the help of his teammate.

In 2007 he could've easily helped Hamilton but he didn't, and now... its simply karma

The only way that is happening is if Vettel is 25 points ahead in Brazil.

If Alonso was leading and Massa is behind him and MUCH faster, do you think they'll allow them to fight? I doubt it.

And if they do an Massa wins, Alonso will make it pretty damn clear the he "let him" have this win because he "needs it"

Alonso will never allow any teammate to shine, that's what killed him in McLaren

Massa

If Alonso was leading and Massa is behind him and MUCH faster, do you think they'll allow them to fight? I doubt it.

And if they do an Massa wins, Alonso will make it pretty damn clear the he "let him" have this win because he "needs it"

Alonso will never allow any teammate to shine, that's what killed him in McLaren

If Alonso is out of the championship at that point, and I think he will be, I don't see why Ferrari would have a problem with them fighting for a position.

Oh wait, it's Ferrari. Never mind.

If Alonso is out of the championship at that point, and I think he will be, I don't see why Ferrari would have a problem with them fighting for a position.

Oh wait, it's Ferrari. Never mind.

What's the point of letting Massa fight Alonso? He didn't do shit for the entire season and now that he suddenly found some pace, he's supposed to be treated like Alonso? What a joke.

Top Bottom