• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Do any of you think if vettel recovers to a high enough place such that webber is directly ahead of him they will tell webber to slow down and let vettel past?

If Vettel is direct behind him then Webber wouldn't have a chance to win the WDC anymore, so I don't see why not.

The picture to go with this article on the front page of the BBC F1 website made me laugh

f14vfd4.png

That's the only reasonable thing to do.

Yup. Plus of course if Alonso is in front of Webber it means Webber can't win the championship either. At this point realistically Webber has zero change of winning the drivers championship this year.

Unless of course Alonso crashes on the first lap... and even then it's still an almost non existent chance.

He's starting from the pit lane, actually. He doesn't even get to out-start the backmarkers. So, yeah. The race is going to be interesting.

It's a smarter move than starting at the back.

No T1 incidents. New engine plus gear box. Make any adjustments needed to the car.

McNum

It's a smarter move than starting at the back.

No T1 incidents. New engine plus gear box. Make any adjustments needed to the car.
Yeah, Red Bull can roll out their 9th engine without penalty. I mean, what is FIA going to do about it? Make him start 34th? The pit lane start is banking that he can make up the 10-15 seconds he loses from it by pretty much being allowed to do anything to the car. It's a gamble. Which makes it even more interesting.

Leunam

VJUmo.png

2011 Race Summary

Vettel led into the first corner, but an unexplained puncture on his left rear tyre caused him to spin off the track at Turn 2 and suffer his first retirement of the season. Hamilton led the race afterwards, and won the race mostly untroubled. Alonso finished second after he overtook Button on lap 1, Button eventually finished third. Webber dropped to behind Alonso at the start, but remained fourth after Vettel's retirement. He battled with Button throughout the race, but to no avail, eventually finishing fourth. He was followed by Felipe Massa, the two Mercedes, the two Force Indias, and the two Saubers - with Kobayashi taking the final point and Pérez missing out in eleventh. Jérôme d'Ambrosio, Sébastien Buemi and Daniel Ricciardo were the other retirements of the race.

Circuit Info

[Click for Onboard]

XR8gX.png

Laps
55​
Circuit length
5.554 km (3.451 mi)​
Race length
305.470 km (189.810 mi)​
Lap Record
Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull-Renault - 2009 - 1:40.279​
Most Wins (Drivers)
Sebastian Vettel (2)​
Most Wins (Constructors)
Red Bull-Renaul (2)​

Previous Winners

2011 - Lewis Hamilton for McLaren
2010 - Sebastian Vettel for Red Bull-Renault
2009 - Sebastian Vettel for Red Bull-Renault

Videos and highlights of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Highlights from the 2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Changes from 2011

-Higher kerbs, similar to those on the apex of turns eight and nine, have been installed on the apexes of turns five, six, 12, 13, 14, 18 and 19.

GP Facts

-Abu Dhabi is unique on the F1 calendar being a (scheduled) twilight race. Beyond the aesthetic impact of a race which starts in sunshine and finished under artificial light, the primary effect on racing is that track temperatures typically fall as the race progresses – which presents an unusual variable for tyre strategists to consider.
-The Yas Viceroy hotel, under which the track passes, is very difficult to miss. Its distinctive illumination is the product of 5,389 pivoting LED panels.
-Sebastian Vettel’s victory in India last week was his fourth in succession. He previously managed that feat between the Brazilian Grand Prix of 2010 and the Malaysian Grand Prix of 2011. Of the current field, Jenson Button won four in a row between the Bahrain and Turkish Grands Prix of 2009. Fernando Alonso managed four straight wins in 2006 and Michael Schumacher had a run of seven (and another of five) in 2004, six across 2000/1 and four in 2002 and 1994. Discounting the Indy500, Alberto Ascari managed nine straight wins across 1952/3.
-Fourth and fifth in India saw McLaren score points for the 55th consecutive race, equalling the record held by Ferrari. McLaren’s run started at the 2010 Australian Grand Prix. A top-ten finish at Yas Marina will see it set a new benchmark.
-Vettel has now led grands prix for 205 consecutive laps, taking the lead of the Singapore Grand Prix on lap 23 and leading from the end of lap one to the chequered flag in Japan, Korea and India. He is exactly 100 laps behind Ascari’s all-time record.

MUBIM.jpg

Drivers Championship
30YbZ.png

Constructors Championship
1g7y5.png

Fantasy League Championship
5qONl.png

Seanspeed

Banned
He's starting from the pit lane, actually. He doesn't even get to out-start the backmarkers. So, yeah. The race is going to be interesting.

Thats better for him. They'll get the possibility of putting in a gearbox with different ratios. Right now, they've got the slowest car in a straight line and that just wont do when trying to overtake these midfielders.

Mastah

Eh, Webber managed to get points after being nearly taken out completely in Japan. If Seb can't do it, then we'll know for sure who the real #1 driver is ;)

Red Bull in Japan was much faster than anyone else and Webber was able to stop one time less than the others. Here in Abu Dhabi they don't have such advantage and everyone will be on the same strategy, so Vettel won't gain time by pitting only once, because so will other cars.

He has to muscle his way on the same strategy or take a gamble and change tyres on lap 10-15, drive as fast as possible in clear air and pray his tyres will last to the end.

Lach

Wow, I just woke up and didn't hear about the vettel disqualification till now.
That's incredibly harsh. As with Hamilton in Barcelone, I feel a disqualification from Q3 (meaning 10th on starting grid) would be a much more reasonable penalty. But at least it shows consistency.

Red Bull claiming that they were sure there'd be enough fuel seems to indicate that they have quite some problems.

dalin80

Banned
Red Bull claiming that they were sure there'd be enough fuel seems to indicate that they have quite some problems.

Red bull claiming anything always has to be looked at with suspicion, if Honer told me the grass was green I would ask for a technical inspection to verify it.

Mohonky

Red bull claiming anything always has to be looked at with suspicion, if Honer told me the grass was green I would ask for a technical inspection to verify it.

This.

Car always seems to be illegal in some way, but they aren't made to change shit for a few races so they are always getting some benefit.

Doesn't change much over all though, I still expect Vettel to take the championship unless something drastic occurs out of their hands, like the Renault alternator failing again.

THE:MILKMAN

If there was a genuine mechanical reason why they (Renault HQ) stopped Vettel on track then his race could be over very quickly.

I assume they can't repair/change a fuel pump or alternator or whatever while in parc ferme?

Yen

If there was a genuine mechanical reason why they (Renault HQ) stopped Vettel on track then his race could be over very quickly.

I assume they can't repair/change a fuel pump or alternator or whatever while in parc ferme?

You'd be pretty naive to think there ever was a mechanical problem.

Adamm

Does anyone actually expect vettel to score no points today?

I think its petty much guaranteed that he will get at least 6th or 7th. Alonso will be lucky to be more than 3 places ahead of him by the finish.

Yen

Peter Windsor ‏@PeterDWindsor
Hindsight dept: turns out FIA were originally going to fuel-sample only WEB (not VET); with a slow in-lap VET could have made it....

Adamm

Hindsight dept: turns out FIA were originally going to fuel-sample only WEB (not VET); with a slow in-lap VET could have made it....

I thought all cars got sampled.

And why would they ever tell any car to stop on track then? He may as well drove back to the pits and took the risk, surely stopping on track admits guilt?

RBR pulled the car out of parc ferme, which is why Vettel starts from the pits today. They can change and replace whatever they want now, which is probably why they put a fresh engine and gearbox in it.

THE:MILKMAN

You'd be pretty naive to think there ever was a mechanical problem.

Not at all. Just saying we'll find out very quickly if RB were lying through their teeth.

Wait........does this mean that cars only have fuel samples taken on a random basis?

brotkasten said:
RBR pulled the car out of parc ferme, which is why Vettel starts from the pits today. They can change and replace whatever they want now, which is probably why they put a fresh engine and gearbox in it.

Hadn't heard that. Thanks.

Mastah

Does anyone actually expect vettel to score no points today?

I think its petty much guaranteed that he will get at least 6th or 7th. Alonso will be lucky to be more than 3 places ahead of him by the finish.

McLarens, Ferraris, Lotuses, Webber, Maldonado and Perez all had very good race pace on Friday. So yes, it will be hard without DNFs and crashes ahead.

Omiee

Man im going to miss jake next year =(

can def see coulthard stepping it up though.

Alonso will be on the podium no doubt. Vettel should score some points since they changed his gear ratio's. His speed should increase on the straights.

Top Bottom