• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Championship is alive, boys!

alonsoweirdo.jpg

Now I'm hoping that Alonso takes the lead back by no more than 7 points to make this really REALLY interesting.

Or Kimi wins while Alonso and Vettel fail to score any points :p

Redbull are stupid assholes for risking it. Why the hell would they do that? They have the fastest car, and they're leading the championship.

Tomorrow's race is going to be FUNNN now..

Fantomex

A statement issued by the FIA said: "The stewards heard from the driver and team representatives and studied telemetry evidence that showed the reason why the car was stopped.

"The Stewards accepted the explanation and considered the incident as being a case of force majeure.

"However a report was received from the Technical Delegate that showed during post-qualifying scrutineering an insufficient quantity of fuel for sampling purposes."

The breach of regulations left the stewards with no choice but to exclude Vettel from qualifying.

However, the stewards have allowed Vettel to start the race from the back of
the grid.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

So basically they lied about why the car stopped and then got caught. lulz!

dalin80

Banned
Official report from the technical delegate-

' I saw christian Horners mouth open so my suspicions were immediatly raised'.

NHale

Fuck u fia, fuck you

Clearly FIA undefuel Vettel's car and lied to themselves when justifying why the car stopped on the track.

If anything the regulations should have a rule about lying to stewards, like making the penalty 2x the original penalty or anything like that. Every time a team or driver is called to a stewards meeting they just lie and try to get away with it. Reminds me of the Hamilton-Trulli situation in Melbourne a couple of years ago, where the poor Hamilton got the blame for their engineer trying to outsmart FIA while forgetting FIA monitors the radio transmissions.

arena08

It sucks, but it's only fair. If you want to curse someone, target your anger at Redbull who royally screwed up unnecessarily

I just can't get my head around rookie mistakes. Who would take such a risk at this stage in the championship??!!

Perhaps something on the car failed causing it to drink more fuel than they expected?

Adamm

If they change the gearbox or engine I think they will have to start from the pitlane instead, which is worse since they'll have to wait till the 23 other cars have gone past.

They could risk it though. Vettel is already on his 8th engine were as most others are still on their 7th.

Red Bull could write this race off & concentrate on the last 2. Because lets face it - the only way Alonso will win the WDC is by Vettels car breaking.

Gary Anderson from BBC suggested this also

Dead Man

I don't think so. Instead of Vettel, you have Hamilton starting from P1 and winning the race.

Here is how it goes:
Alonso will not win the race tomorrow. If anything he'll barely end up on P3, but he probably won't.
Vettel will still end up in the points, Alonso closes the gap a bit and nothing much is going to change in the WDC fight.

2 week break

Austin
Ferrari still doesn't have a competitive car.
Pretty much. Makes this race exciting for the first time though. Ferrari need to bring a much better car for the last two races if they want to win. Vettel second behind Ham is great for Vettels chances. If they had the car to take advantage of this fuck up it would be a very interesting couple of races. Instead, Vettel will be fine. The best Alonso will do tomorrow is 4th unless someone fall off the track. That's 12 points. If Vettel gets no points he still leads by 1.

Now he will face the toughest test known to man: he must overtake Petrov in Abu Dhabi.

:lol

operon

Can't believe we have idiots in this thread blaming FIA for Red Bull lying and then getting caught. Bravo guys.

This has made this race much more exciting and it hasn't even started. Lewis looks good, the red bulls don't look as dominant as they always do. I don't think Vettel will have as easy time getting up through the cars like ye all think. They have one of the lowest straight line speeds with their DRS being not as affective as others with a race which looks like a one stop race since the tyres look like lasting very easy

They could risk it though. Vettel is already on his 8th engine were as most others are still on their 7th.

Red Bull could write this race off & concentrate on the last 2. Because lets face it - the only way Alonso will win the WDC is by Vettels car breaking.

Gary Anderson from BBC suggested this also

Yep, starting from the pitlane means they can change the engine and make some other adjustments.

@andrewbensonf1 said:
Christian Horner says have decided to start from pit lane as they are withdrawing car from parc ferme to "investigate further"

@andrewbensonf1 said:
But won't stop speculation they'll take opportunity to give Vettel longer gears. Or, as @Jamesallenonf1 says, perhaps give him a new engine @andrewbensonf1

Yep, starting from the pitlane means they can change the engine and make some other adjustments.

They should give Vettel his 9th engine while at it then

Best twist of the season tbh. I'm sure it feels like shit to Vettel's fans, bu they should point their fingers at Redbull and not the FiA

Not massively surprised.

On the bright side, Vettel gets to see if he can save a championship by managing to overtake at Abu Dhabi, something Alonso failed to do. ;) I wonder if they'll change his gearing as I'm guessing he'll REALLY need that DRS zone.

That said, I reckon he'll get taken out at the start or in one of the first corners. It's not unusual for there to be incidents at the nasty end of the grid, especially as the cars all seem to have razors instead of endplates.

well well well..

Horner insists that there was enough fuel in the car but.. Red Bull says Vettel's car had enough fuel

But Horner, who accepted that the penalty was fair, insists that the fuel was there, but that a full litre could not be extracted without removing bodywork, in contravention of Article 6.6.4 of the Formula 1 technical regulations.

"The rules dictate that one litre has to be able to be provided without the removal of bodywork, without manipulating the car," said Horner.

"We believe that the fuel is in the cell, according to what Renault have told us, but you cannot dismantle the cell to give the sample.

"The car will be worked on tonight, so it is out of parc ferme, and we should have a better understanding and hopefully a cure for tomorrow."

Little more than a spit would've been enough for the sample

"The FIA accepted that, they accepted the technical issue that Renault reported to us, and unfortunately as the regulations dictate there has to be a one litre fuel sample to be able to taken from the car, and it is only 850ml that has been extracted.

Not massively surprised.

On the bright side, Vettel gets to see if he can save a championship by managing to overtake at Abu Dhabi, something Alonso failed to do. ;) I wonder if they'll change his gearing as I'm guessing he'll REALLY need that DRS zone.

That said, I reckon he'll get taken out at the start or in one of the first corners. It's not unusual for there to be incidents at the nasty end of the grid, especially as the cars all seem to have razors instead of endplates.

He starts from the pit lane, there won't be any incident for him.

Dead Man

Can't believe we have idiots in this thread blaming FIA for Red Bull lying and then getting caught. Bravo guys.

This has made this race much more exciting and it hasn't even started. Lewis looks good, the red bulls don't look as dominant as they always do. I don't think Vettel will have as easy time getting up through the cars like ye all think. They have one of the lowest straight line speeds with their DRS being not as affective as others with a race which looks like a one stop race since the tyres look like lasting very easy

Yeah, the RBR is quick, it's just not fast enough to overtake too many cars I think. Top speed seems so important these days to overtake.

RankoSD

Huge first corner fuck up, everybody struggles to find a clear way out of that traffic, Vettel enters the track from the pits in the 1st place.

That would be a funny thing to witness XD

moojito

I reckon the second death blow to this thread after being moved to the graveyard community section is all this childish bickering. I must've scrolled past two pages of the stuff just today.

Anyhoo, woo for excitement back in this championship! I'd rather it be because of two evenly matches cars, but I'll take this as well.

McNum

You know what could be funny? If it, at the end, turned out that Massa ends up having to keep Vettel behind him tomorrow and in doing so manages to get Alonso the few extra points compared to Vettel that he needs to win. After a nearly full season of so-so driving and negative commentary on it, it'd just be funny if Massa became kingmaker.

And Massa knows how to make himself wide when he really has to. Kimi learned that last race. In a worse car than a Red Bull, of course.

In any case, apart from Hamilton probably just driving off into the distance never to be seen until the finish line, tomorrow's race is going to be interesting. Vettel has his work cut out for him, I look forward to seeing him go for it. Especially since he won't even have the chance to pass the backmarkers with a good start.

There was no less bickering before it moved. The Ignore List is a very handy thing, just throw those on who do nothing but whine, and also those who badmouth Kimi.

Shaneus

Dude thats overtaking 19 people.

He will have no problem with the HRT's catherham's and marusia's.

But the saubers and force india's might be a problem for him. All the more since RBR are not that fast on the straights.
Eh, Webber managed to get points after being nearly taken out completely in Japan. If Seb can't do it, then we'll know for sure who the real #1 driver is ;)

I also find it hilarious that it takes the FIA 4 hours to check a fuel level of a car.
At first they thought he had enough fuel but then they realised the car was parked on an angle. Also, they were looking at the fuel gauge at an angle which made it look like he had more fuel than he actually did.

Happens to everyone.

Chris R

If Alonso had a 13 point lead going to Austin I'd be fine, meaning Vettel with two wins would still win the championship, even with Alonso finishing 2nd. Really would like to see Mark or Kimi win tomorrow though.

Eh, Webber managed to get points after being nearly taken out completely in Japan. If Seb can't do it, then we'll know for sure who the real #1 driver is ;)

jMtOw.png

At first they thought he had enough fuel but then they realised the car was parked on an angle. Also, they were looking at the fuel gauge at an angle which made it look like he had more fuel than he actually did.

Happens to everyone.

That's not how you blame Ferrari.

Shaneus

I can't understand how a team believes they can fool the FIA by underfuelling the car to get a better time on Q3. What's the point of doing that? They know exactly the amount of fuel they put on the car and the telemetry gives the same info too in case the fuel pump is broken. So when the engineer does all the checks on the car during the out-lap he clearly saw that he didn't had the sufficient fuel and still allowed Vettel to do his lap? Why? Make him come in after the out-lap and start at the top 10 instead of 24th. But I guess teams still believe they can fool FIA...which is probably true...

What is more problematic is that everytime Red Bull is not the fastest car the team becomes very prone to silly mistakes that end up costing their drivers.
I'd love to know just how much fuel the cars normally end up finishing with after qualifications each weekend... and why Webber didn't suffer the same fate.

Also, I completely forgot yesterday that I hadn't put my bets in for F1RM. And for some fucking reason had change one of my drivers from Hulk to Di Resta. WTF.

If Alonso had a 13 point lead going to Austin I'd be fine, meaning Vettel with two wins would still win the championship, even with Alonso finishing 2nd. Really would like to see Mark or Kimi win tomorrow though.

image.php

Only a mechanical failure can stop Hamilton

In context Vettel's body language makes sense, he knew that RBR had cocked up royally and his position on the grid wasn't safe, we'll see how fast he can get back up the order now. Also shame on RBR trying to pass off the low fuel as force majeure with some sort of problem relating to the engine.

In context Vettel's body language makes sense, he knew that RBR had cocked up royally and his position on the grid wasn't safe, we'll see how fast he can get back up the order now. Also shame on RBR trying to pass off the low fuel as force majeure with some sort of problem relating to the engine.

Shame on them for taking a completely unnecessary risk. They clearly focused on beating Webber.

jey_16

Banned
Sucks for Vettel but good for the championship! It's frustrating though that Alonso won't be able to take the full advantage out of it considering the horrible qualifying

Not sure if I'm going to stay up for the race, it's @ 12am here....

kharma45

Sucks for Vettel but good for the championship! It's frustrating though that Alonso won't be able to take the full advantage out of it considering the horrible qualifying

Not sure if I'm going to stay up for the race, it's @ 12am here....

He's on the third row of the grid now, should be ok.

Deadman

Do any of you think if vettel recovers to a high enough place such that webber is directly ahead of him they will tell webber to slow down and let vettel past?

Shaneus

That's not how you blame Ferrari.
MB0Yi.png

Shame on them for taking a completely unnecessary risk. They clearly focused on beating Webber.
So you think this was one of the decisions made within Vettel's direct team and not RBR as a whole? I mean, it makes sense given Webber hasn't been penalised, but it's a fucking stupid move to make.

I'd laugh if it all comes out in the wash that Vettel made the decision.

Top Bottom