• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Chris R

Wait, Vettel starts 24th tomorrow? Guess I might wake up really early and watch the race after all.

Decent qualifying effort from Hammy, just think he is too hard on his tires to keep first, but with the only other real challenge starting 24th he should have the race in the bag...

Adamm

Wait, Vettel starts 24th tomorrow? Guess I might wake up really early and watch the race after all.

Decent qualifying effort from Hammy, just think he is too hard on his tires to keep first, but with the only other real challenge starting 24th he should have the race in the bag...

Vettel starting 24th is not confirmed yet

Joni

Why? We would forget this race two weeks later like Spa this year, so that he is still "unproven"...

No Alonso, no Hamilton, Webber behind him. The only of the big three teams in front of him was Button. Hulkenberg almost did the same (minus one position), but with a worse car.

Omiee

Jake on Twitter

"Vettel's garage door has just been dramatically closed...without Seb's car in it."

Connor @cmckinleyF1

FIA confirm Vettel's car had less than one litre of fuel in it when checked #F1

F1 Fanatic @f1fanatic_co_uk

Stewards say Vettel's car "had 850 ml fuel on board which is not enough for the required one litre fuel sample." #F1

:( fuuuck

Funny how when this happened to McLaren in Spain it didn't take half as long as this has.

it took 4 and half hour in span for hamilton so i dont know what your talking about Ark.

Jake's hyping this up.

@mrjakehumphrey: Remember, for a decision that could change F1 history, tune to the BBC News channel now, we are live at 6.45pm #bbcf1 #vettel #AbuDhabiGP

Omiee

I can just see the reactions tomorrow after alonso ends up on the podium and takes the lead back.

Fuck yeah the championship fight is back on.

When it was over according to most people when vettel had a small lead point wise.

EDIT: also RBR are a bunch of idiots for making a stupid mistake like this that could cost them million of dollars and the championship.

We might actually have a bloody race on our hands then tomorrow. Good stuff.

I don't think so. Instead of Vettel, you have Hamilton starting from P1 and winning the race.

Here is how it goes:
Alonso will not win the race tomorrow. If anything he'll barely end up on P3, but he probably won't.
Vettel will still end up in the points, Alonso closes the gap a bit and nothing much is going to change in the WDC fight.

2 week break

Austin
Ferrari still doesn't have a competitive car.

Now he will face the toughest test known to man: he must overtake Petrov in Abu Dhabi.

Vettel will have DRS this year.

I expect Vettel to get at least a handle full of points tomorrow, he'll probably still lead the championship.

Edit: Vettel could possibly start from the pitlane?

kharma45

Dude thats overtaking 19 people.

He will have no problem with the HRT's catherham's and marusia's.

But the saubers and force india's might be a problem for him. All the more since RBR are not that fast on the straights.

I wouldn't be overly worried about getting past any of those cars, the RBR is a fast enough car to be able to do that.

Dude thats overtaking 19 people.

He will have no problem with the HRT's catherham's and marusia's.

But the saubers and force india's might be a problem for him. All the more since RBR are not that fast on the straights.

People who have started at the back have gone on to the top 6 before, easily.

Anything lower for Vettel is downright unrealistic, unless he has incidents or forgets how to drive.

One good strategy alone gets him top 6.

Ark

How can you have so little faith in your own driver?

Vettel is a champ, he drives like a champ and he overtakes like a champ. He'll be in the points for sure tomorrow, Alonso isn't going to get anywhere unless something interesting happens.

Sure this has made the title a little more interesting, but the Ferrari still isn't anywhere.

Adamm

Gary Anderson on BBC News, just said that there is a chance he may have to start from the pit lane because they will need to make changes to their car.

I can just see the reactions tomorrow after alonso ends up on the podium and takes the lead back.

Fuck yeah the championship fight is back on.

When it was over according to most people when vettel had a small lead point wise.

EDIT: also RBR are a bunch of idiots for making a stupid mistake like this that could cost them million of dollars and the championship.
I always knew something like this could happen. Motorsports ain't like the late 50's/early 60's Celtics dynasty. Anything can and will happen.

People who have started at the back have gone on to the top 6 before, easily.

Anything lower for Vettel is downright unrealistic, unless he has incidents or forgets how to drive.

One good strategy alone gets him top 6.

Yeah, but don't forget that Alonso has the best car on the grid and can easily cruise on the podium, if not win the race!

How can you have so little faith in your own driver?

Vettel is a champ, he drives like a champ and he overtakes like a champ. He'll be in the points for sure tomorrow, Alonso isn't going to get anywhere unless something interesting happens.

Sure this has made the title a little more interesting, but the Ferrari still isn't anywhere.

Pretend to set your expectations low, act all surprised during the race. Post "OMG VETTE U SO GOOD, OMG BABY YEAH THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT". Everyone wins.

NHale

I can't understand how a team believes they can fool the FIA by underfuelling the car to get a better time on Q3. What's the point of doing that? They know exactly the amount of fuel they put on the car and the telemetry gives the same info too in case the fuel pump is broken. So when the engineer does all the checks on the car during the out-lap he clearly saw that he didn't had the sufficient fuel and still allowed Vettel to do his lap? Why? Make him come in after the out-lap and start at the top 10 instead of 24th. But I guess teams still believe they can fool FIA...which is probably true...

What is more problematic is that everytime Red Bull is not the fastest car the team becomes very prone to silly mistakes that end up costing their drivers.

I don't think so. Instead of Vettel, you have Hamilton starting from P1 and winning the race.

Here is how it goes:
Alonso will not win the race tomorrow. If anything he'll barely end up on P3, but he probably won't.
Vettel will still end up in the points, Alonso closes the gap a bit and nothing much has changed.

2 week break

Austin
Ferrari still doesn't have a competitive car.

If Vettel finishes behind Alonso, it's still a positive result for Ferrari/Alonso considering that their car is still slower than Red Bull.

Unfortunately them they will still have to be lucky and pray for another mistake/technical problem in Austin or Brazil to have any chance of winning the WDC.

Omiee

Yeah, but don't forget that Alonso has the best car on the grid and can easily cruise on the podium, if not win the race!

Pretend to set your expectations low, act all surprised during the race. Post "OMG VETTE U SO GOOD, OMG BABY YEAH THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT". Everyone wins.

And you call me annoying sjeez.

NHale

Gary Anderson on BBC News, just said that there is a chance he may have to start from the pit lane because they will need to make changes to their car.

Maybe change the gearbox because it could be damaged after he touched the barrier today. Oddly, this could end up being the best thing it happened to him instead of having a gearbox failure during the race ala Hamilton in Singapore.

Dilly

Banned
Funny, people think the championship is still open after this?

The only way Alonso can become champion is if Vettel's 2012 alternator craps itself again and Alonso gets at least on the podium during the same race. This incident alone is nothing.

I also find it hilarious that it takes the FIA 4 hours to check a fuel level of a car.

Maybe change the gearbox because it could be damaged after he touched the barrier today. It could end up being the best thing it happened to him.

Probably much safer to start from the pit lane as well.

The only way Alonso can become champion is if Vettel's 2012 alternator craps itself again and Alonso gets at least on the podium during the same race. This incident alone is nothing.

He's not going to do it on raw pace alone, but at least these circumstances give him a chance of taking it down to Brazil, where anything could happen. Perhaps Vettel crashes in FP3 and subsequently fucks his qualifying, perhaps it rains up a storm and causes chaos, perhaps someone bumps Vettel in the first corner...

Adamm

I also find it hilarious that it takes the FIA 4 hours to check a fuel level of a car.

The only thing this does is extend the championship for another race.
Alonso cant get any where near Vettel in a normal race

I don't even think a DNF for Vettel and a win from Alonso would change that much. It's like the win in Malaysia at the beginning of the season. The race after that is a fight for P4-P6.

Kevin Eason ‏@easonF1

Ridiculous. Told that a Vettel decision will be another hour at least. Charlie Whiting, race director, has gone for dinner

Priorities.

G-Unit

Funny how when this happened to McLaren in Spain it didn't take half as long as this has.

you are wrong

Fernando Tornello ‏@f1tornello
En España tardaron 4h 30m en sancionar a Hamilton, en Abu Dhabi tardaron 4h 40m en hacerlo con Vettel.

4.40 for vettel, 4.30 for hamilton

Top Bottom