• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Adamm

I'm assuming 10 place grid penalty .. What do the rules say exactly? On Friday they can change to an old engine without a penalty but not on Saturday right?

If they take a new engine it will be a 5 place grid penalty because it will be is 9th engine. But if they use an old engine then he will get no penalty.

Shaneus

What's the point of having bets in F1RM? It's not like we can carry over the money to next year or anything, is it?
Schumacher is my driver for tomorrow.

It would be utterly poetic if he won his final race of his career in the wet at Sao Paulo.
This year has been anything but poetic for him, I wouldn't hold your breath :(

Shaneus

here are some potential GFs

141020457KR00180_F1_Grand_P,0.jpg

If they take a new engine it will be a 5 place grid penalty because it will be is 9th engine. But if they use an old engine then he will get no penalty.

SOrry didn't notice that we're on a new page already..

So 9th engine 5 place penalty and 10th onwards 10 place?

Are you sure engines are allowed to be changed on Saturday without a penalty?

I wanted a dry qualifying :(

GOOOOOOD.. spice it up Brasil.. Alonso and Vettel to start 23 and 24.. Make it FUNNN

I really don't want Alonso to win it, but if he does, I really hope its in a dramatic way like 2008 or something.

Mobius 1

Last Jake race... Such a shame the BBC team was progressively dismantled.

My brother is at Interlagos, says rain isn't going anywhere.

Adamm

SOrry didn't notice that we're on a new page already..

So 9th engine 5 place penalty and 10th onwards 10 place?

Are you sure engines are allowed to be changed on Saturday without a penalty?

I think its always 5 places for new engines? And until qualifying finishing I think they can change what they want.

Edit: sorry my mistake 10 place penalty for engines, 5 place for gear box

I think its always 5 places for new engines? And until qualifying finishing I think they can change what they want.

We did this in detail recently. You only get penalised for each NEW engine you use past the 8th. You can change them as much as you like as long as you put in old engines.

I was always under the impression that engines = 10, gearboxes = 5, and on Saturday you're not allowed to change to a different engine without a penalty (maybe if you're engine blows up its an exception)

We did this in detail recently. You only get penalised for each NEW engine you use past the 8th. You can change them as much as you like as long as you put in old engines.

Even on Saturday? It doesn't feel right. Teams can dedicate engines just for Fridays, and that kills the purpose of prolonging the life of engines

EDIT: and what about the grid penalty? 5? I'm almost certain that it's 10

Define Saturday. You can't change the car at all once it's into parc ferme after qualifying. Well, unless you want to start from the pits.

If you can switch in an old engine (why would you want to, you need all that power) before qualifying then go for it. Gearboxes are slightly different though.

Adamm

I was always under the impression that engines = 10, gearboxes = 5, and on Saturday you're not allowed to change to a different engine without a penalty (maybe if you're engine blows up its an exception)

Yeah sorry its 10 for engines.

Cars are in Parc ferme from the second they exit the pits in qualifying, so any change anything they want without getting a penatly as long as they don't start qualifying. So they won't get a penalty for using an old engine

The whole day, not park ferme only

I don't think that's right. You can change the car as much as you want before qualifying.

After weighing during each qualifying session, teams are required to take their cars to a place in the paddock, sectioned off by the FIA, known as parc fermé; they may not do work on the cars, other than routine maintenance, until they are released from parc fermé for the race the next morning.

If a team must do other significant work, body work or suspension adjustments, the car will start from the pit lane.

I see.. thanks for the clarification guys

Now Kimi's challenge is to setup the car between Q3 and Q2

Almost impossible .. and with the rain.. It's going to be INTERESTING..

What a shame though, seeing how well Gros is doing.. I think its good for Alonso that Kimi will almost certainly start behind him now..

Mohonky

With. 4am start for work, and the race to tomorrow starting at 2am, i have no hope of seeing the race but god i hope vettel doesnt win.....

Top Bottom