• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Petrov actually did alright for the first few rounds of 2011, didn't he? I was under the impression that he performed poorly over the rest of the year because Lotus-Renault's development during the season was basically non-existent compared to the other teams. I could be mis-remembering, though.

Petrov had his best career result at the first race in 2011, where he finished 3rd in Melbourne and it went downhill after that. He shined with a P5 finish at the legendary Canadian GP, but mostly fought for a lower top 10 position for the rest of the season. Heidfeld drove only 11 of the 19 races in 2011, with 3 retirements, and still had only 3 points less than Petrov at the end of the season (34 pts vs 37 pts). Heidfeld basically destroyed him.

What does this tell us? Eric Boullier is a fucking asshole.

And I better not start comparing Petrov with Robert Kubica during the 2010 season. Hahaha. No.

Sorry, Shaneus. But Petrov is mediocre at best and him moving out of F1 no loss at all.

Shaneus

Petrov had his best career result at the first race in 2011, where he finished 3rd in Melbourne and it went downhill after that. He shined with a P5 finish at the legendary Canadian GP, but mostly fought for a lower top 10 position for the rest of the season. Heidfeld drove only 11 of the 19 races in 2011, with 3 retirements, and still had only 3 points less than Petrov at the end of the season (34 pts vs 37 pts). Heidfeld basically destroyed him.

What does this tell us? Eric Boullier is a fucking asshole.

And I better not start comparing Petrov with Robert Kubica during the 2010 season. Hahaha. No.

Sorry, Shaneus. But Petrov is mediocre at best and him moving out of F1 no loss at all.
Don't be sorry! I know he's average at best (even that's a stretch), but I guess I just kinda feel sorry for him because he's weird looking and Russian.

Everyone is sleeping I guess!

Pic signed by Caterham

Gueterez confirmed for Sauber

Kimi had an engine problem at FP1 he only did few runs and he's 1 sec slower than his teammate and 1.5 from Hamilton who's on top

So, what drivers are floating around without confirmed seats right now?

Kobayashi,
Petrov,
Alguersuari,
Cucumber,
Senna,
Bottas,
Grosjean,
Kovalainen,
Sutil (lol)

Love is in the air

16994.jpg

Lol
Abu-Dhabi.jpg

Glock is at Marussia next season.

- Romain Grosjean
- Jerôme d'Ambrosio
- Paul Di Resta
- Jaime Alguersuari
- Jules Bianchi
- Adrian Sutil
- Bruno Senna
- Sébastien Buemi
- Kamui Kobayashi
- Vitaly Petrov
- Valtteri Bottas
- Max Chilton
- Heikki Kovalainen
- Giedo van der Garde
- Narain Karthikeyan
- Dani Clos
- Qing Hua

Yoritomo

Considering Lewis hates Vettel more than he hates Alonso, I wouldn't be surprised if he just pressed the wrong button once again and let Alonso through on the last lap.

Uh no. There's a constructor's position at stake. That pass could cost McLaren 10 million + dollars.

on Sunday at 4pm there could be split loyalties with kick-off of the eagerly-anticipated clash at Stamford Bridge, in which Rafa Benitez will manage Chelsea for the first time, clashing with the start of F1's World Championship showdown between Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel and the Ferrari of Fernando Alonso at Interlagos.

So what's a sports fan to do? Well, we think we have the answer: a split-screen service which will be available to all Sky Sports subscribers with just a simple press of a red button.

With coverage starting at 2.30pm, all you'll have to do to follow live coverage from Stamford Bridge and Brazil is tune in to Sky Sports 1, press the red button and enjoy simultaneous, side-by-side coverage of Sunday's two unmissable events.

lol

The Sky F1 viewing figures could be an absolute disaster.

Get your heads out of the sand, the whole F1 is a paid sport.

It´s not like there´s millions of young drivers competing for a seat in F1.

It´s a sport made for the kids of millionaires, we know that and we still love the sport.

If you go up against 10 million other competitors to go pro on soccer, basketball or football, you are likely to just go against 1000 in motorsports.

It´s just too expensive and even the talented drivers were very rich to start with. There´are no rags to riches stories in motorsports. I sure wanted to be a professional racer, but my familly couldn´t even afford me racing competitively in go karts, let alone millions on seasons in europe.

Even my idol, Ayrton Senna, had interlagos at his disposal when he was a kid. The familly chouffer would drop him off at the track and he could race for hours and hours alone. How many kids can do that?

It´s unreasonable to think that only the so called paid drivers are hurting the sport. F1 is all about having millions of dollars at your disposal to get there, let´s not pretend it was different in the past.

Vettel doing a shitload of laps today. He's absolutely making sure of everything by the look of it.

McLaren (Hamilton) looking quickest on short and long run pace at the moment. I'm surprised Red Bull haven't gone for higher downforce ready for Sunday, they're quite slow in the middle sector.

Get your heads out of the sand, the whole F1 is a paid sport.

It´s not like there´s millions of young drivers competing for a seat in F1.

It´s a sport made for the kids of millionaires, we know that and we still love the sport.

If you go up against 10 million other competitors to go pro on soccer, basketball or football, you are likely to just go against 1000 in motorsports.

It´s just too expensive and even the talented drivers were very rich to start with. There´are no rags to riches stories in motorsports. I sure wanted to be a professional racer, but my familly couldn´t even afford me racing competitively in go karts, let alone millions on seasons in europe.

Even my idol, Ayrton Senna, had interlagos at his disposal when he was a kid. The familly chouffer would drop him off at the track and he could race for hours and hours alone. How many kids can do that?

It´s unreasonable to think that only the so called paid drivers are hurting the sport. F1 is all about having millions of dollars at your disposal to get there, let´s not pretend it was different in the past.

Of course most come from families that are pretty rich to begin with but there are drivers with more normal backrounds too. For example Kimi had completely normal Finnish family that spent pretty much all their extra money so that Kimi and his brother could drive karts. He just had the speed. Of course if you don't have money you need more luck (to be able to secure good managers) but it's possible (or at least it was).

John_B

As far as I remember from the Hamilton biography by Mark Hughes, Anthony Hamilton was working two jobs to support both the family and racing. A bit later he started his own company and did fairly well, but he always had to hustle for contracts and sponsors. He didn't just write checks. If it weren't for his father's dedication Lewis would never have been in Formula 1.

DD

As far as I remember from the Hamilton biography by Mark Hughes, Anthony Hamilton was working two jobs to support both the family and racing. A bit later he started his own company and did fairly well, but he always had to hustle for contracts and sponsors. He didn't just write checks. If it weren't for his father's dedication Lewis would never have been in Formula 1.

And yet he fight with his dad and leave the team that supported him since he was 11.

Adamm

To get into F1 you have to be:
A very, very good driver or a very good driver with money.

But we can be sure of one thing, poor mediocre drivers will never drive in F1

FuturusX

It's not what I'd consider as mature attitude. =P

Be that as it may...I think he has something to prove to himself and those around him. I think the team was made for him..and he for the team. They'll be both miss each other.

The forthcoming rule changes may reset things a little and allow Mercedes to be more competitive..who knows. But Lewis outside of a Mclaren means things will never be the same.

Ark

It's not what I'd consider as mature attitude. =P

Are you trying to say that because McLaren brought Hamilton through the various series' to F1 that he now owes them for the rest of his life? He's brought them race victories every year he's raced there and a world title. They would have more world titles if McLaren could get their act together.

Hamilton isn't McLaren's protege anymore.

Are you trying to say that because McLaren brought Hamilton through the various series' to F1 that he now owes them for the rest of his life? He's brought them race victories every year he's raced there and a world title. They would have more world titles if McLaren could get their act together.

Hamilton isn't McLaren's protege anymore.

I think you're reading too much into his post.

Basically the point was that leaving to prove he's a big boy doesn't necessarily work.

FuturusX

I think Hamiliton can do well...more so than likes of Vettel in a weaker car (yeah I went there...sue me) but can he win a championship? I don't know.

If the car is right (reliable and quick) he can win a championship... same as any other top driver.

Doesn't have to necessarily be the fastest, nor the most reliable, just probably more reliable than the one he had this year.

Edit - Not next year though, Mercedes are all over the place. They really don't seem to have a clue what's going on.

Di Resta shouldn't be in that list should he?

Force India haven't confirmed either of their 2013 drivers yet. Coincidentally, the rumours linking Alguersuari to Force India in some capacity (not known whether it's for a race or a test seat) have resurfaced in the last day or two.

De la Rosa also doesn't have a confirmed drive next year, despite his HRT contract, as its not even known if the team will still exist in March.

Mastah

If we have one less team next year (HRT), will this influence Q1 cutoffs in any way? Will there still be 7 drivers dropping out or would they lower it to 5?

No, they will lower it to 6 as they did in 2008, when Super Aguri pulled out (6 -> 5). If there's no change in their pace next year that means 2 Caterhams, 2 Marussias and 2 cars from old teams, so Q1 should be a little more exciting than now.

He's really not as impressive as he was in 2009 and 2010. Aside from a few moments, he's really been fairly lacklustre over last year and this year.

In 2009 he drove 2 races alongside old Jarno Trulli and in 2010 it was old journeyman de la Rosa, who was then replaced by F1 reject Heidfeld, because Sauber didn't know what potential their car had. Since 2011 new teammate arrived and suddenly Kobayashi isn't impressive anymore, so I think the answer is pretty clear.

I mean, de la Rosa and Heidfeld were few tenths within Kobayashi. Perez on the other hand could drive on another level, like for example in Singapore, where Sauber had their worst pace this season, yet Perez was fighting for points, while Kobayashi was over 1 second per lap slower without any car problem. Or like in Austin, when Kobayashi finished 30 seconds behind Perez who was struggling with brakes problem.

When Kobayashi had his day, Perez was few seconds behind. When it was the other way around, well, we saw the results.

To get into F1 you have to be:
A very, very good driver or a very good driver with money.

But we can be sure of one thing, poor mediocre drivers will never drive in F1

I wouldn't be so sure. I rate Chilton as a poor mediocre driver, but of course if you are speaking about the likes of Alex Yoong, Gaston Mazzacane, Shinji Nakano, then yes, you are probably right.

People say nowadays it's pay driver galore, but in 1998 we had all seats in Minardi and Tyrrell taken by 4 pay drivers, whose skills were in bad-horrible range. If you think Gutierrez, Pic or Petrov are bad thing to the sport, imagine all 4 seats in 2 teams taken by useless drivers. That's how it was in 1998, so today is massive improvement over yesterday in that respect.

wait koba is out?

fuuuuck :( thats to bad. He could have been better than perez in a mclaren seat.

Seems like McLaren disagree with that and other teams are blind to see Kobayashi's talent. And it's not question of money, because if Sauber was impressed with Kobayashi, they would keep him as their leading driver.

Top Bottom