• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

AndyD

aka andydumi
Massa locking up and taking Vettel out at turn 1 is happening tomorrow.

I agree. It then opens up Alonso to fight for it and would only need to climb two spots behind the McLarens.

But then we'll see Webber take out Alonso!

There is nothing the FIA can do about it either. Penalize Massa and Webber? Lol.

Nuklear

Banned
m46jy.jpg

Rain tires needed.... 50% chance!

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

Man, given the various news articles over this move over the last few weeks there's only one thing I can honestly think Lewis is thinking at the moment, summed up perfectly by this gif:

Ive-Made-A-Huge-Mistake-Meme-ORIGIN.gif

It's like he tried to hold them over a barrel during negotiations thinking "They'll cave soon", they called his bluff and now he's off into the wilderness.

I expect to see him back at McLaren in 12 months.

Chris R

Next year is going to be a waste for Hamilton, but with the 2014 rule changes Mercedes has a chance to become a top team instead of an after thought.

Ark

can he get out of his 3 year contract in advance? or does he have to pay mercedes to do that?

There will no doubt be performance clauses in Hamilton's contract, so if things do turn to shit he'll have an escape route.

Man, given the various news articles over this move over the last few weeks there's only one thing I can honestly think Lewis is thinking at the moment, summed up perfectly by this gif:

http://memeorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Ive-Made-A-Huge-Mistake-Meme-ORIGIN.gif[img][/QUOTE]

I'd equate it to more of a 'I'm leaving home, holy shit' kinda of feeling rather than a 'I'm an idiot' feeling. There's no doubt he could go anywhere he wants on the grid. The reason it's getting so much attention is because of how quick the McLaren is at the moment and because it's the biggest thing to happen in a long time.

[quote="rhfb, post: 44706661"]Next year is going to be a waste for Hamilton, but with the 2014 rule changes Mercedes has a chance to become a top team instead of an after thought.[/QUOTE]

I still believe Mercedes could build a race winning car for next year.

I'm just praying Hamilton isn't pulling a Rossi.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
There will no doubt be performance clauses in Hamilton's contract, so if things do turn to shit he'll have an escape route.

I'd equate it to more of a 'I'm leaving home, holy shit' kinda of feeling rather than a 'I'm an idiot' feeling. There's no doubt he could go anywhere he wants on the grid. The reason it's getting so much attention is because of how quick the McLaren is at the moment and because it's the biggest thing to happen in a long time.

I agree, with McLaren acting the "tough love" parents sending a message of "grow up and fend for yourself", but ultimately leaving his bedroom as he left it for his eventual return. :p

We'll know by what happens with his management, if he replaces it (again) within the next 12 months, I'm telling ya, it will because of events over this deal, not because of anything likely to happen next year because whilst he'll reflect a little on his own moves, he'll lay a large portion of responsibility on his representation.

Come on Hammer, share some of the inside track/thoughts on this whole move at this point in time! :D

So rbr is only fast when vettel is on pole?

Define fast? They've been behind McLaren on low fuel and high fuel runs all weekend. It's clear McLaren has the package to beat here. They're certainly not slow though.

As for Massa / Webber incidents, I would wager they've been told to stay the hell away from Vettel / Alonso as an obvious move would see the team banned from the championship.

Igo

Ive-Made-A-Huge-Mistake-Meme-ORIGIN.gif

It's like he tried to hold them over a barrel during negotiations thinking "They'll cave soon", they called his bluff and now he's off into the wilderness.

I expect to see him back at McLaren in 12 months.
Really? Look how happy he is. I've haven't seen Lewis so genuinely happy since 2009, before liegate.

Lewis really seems like he can't wait for next season, and unless the car is so shit that he can't challenge for podiums, I really think he'll stick it through the entire contract, for better or worse.

Deadman

I think hamilton will be there for 2 seasons max. Then back to mclaren or another top team, depending on what seats are available.

Osiris

Part of me would love to see Perez to underperform and get replaced by Hamilton mid-season next year, just to see the holy mess that would follow. It's been a while since we saw a good driver contract shitstorm (i.e. Jenson / Williams / Benetton).

Not really, I want to see Chico flourish, but you can't deny the entertainment that would follow such a move :p

DBT85

I think hamilton will be there for 2 seasons max. Then back to mclaren or another top team, depending on what seats are available.

Merc could pull it out of the bag for the 2014 regs/engines and give Hamilton a reasonable shot at the title.

Maybe before the first test next season we should have a sweepstake for how many points Hamilton will get that season.

f0rk

Merc could pull it out of the bag for the 2014 regs/engines and give Hamilton a reasonable shot at the title.

Maybe before the first test next season we should have a sweepstake for how many points Hamilton will get that season.

Yeah Mercedes should theoretically be in a good place for 2014, having a season to settle in the team could pay off big for Hamilton.

mblitek

Damn, we really have been spoiled for quality races this year, what a season...so far! Tomorrow should add to that with a hopefully unpredictable wet race and that wild-card of a Renault alternator.

Come on Capcpom, I want that top 10 finish! I think going MCL MCL should get me over the line, at least with how qualifying went. I've really enjoyed the whole fantasy league thing, it adds a bit of extra spice to the weekend.

For the championship, I'm rooting for Alonso. It's unlikely, but stranger things have happened. I'm really pumped for the race!

Shaneus

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHABAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry I just learned about Maldonado's penalty.
Say what you will, but I'd have to put him down as being the most improved driver in 2012. Started off poor (incident-wise) but he's lifted his game something fierce this year.

There are probably others who have improved more, but he's the first that comes to mind.

Joni

I want no DNFs tomorrow from Alonso or Vettel. I don't mind chaos around them, but I want both to finish. Needs to be an actual race.

Problem is an actual race would not be very exciting unless it rains awfully hard and Vettel buckles under the pressure. Vettel is in front of Alonso with a better car and a team mate in front of him that doesn't start that good.

Bottas almost confirmed at Williams, good news :D

And Matshit%@$^#@% (Redbull's owner) says that if Vettel leaves he would consider Hamilton or even Alonso to replace him

Now THAT would be awesome.. unfortunately Alonso's contract is till 2016, but if I'm not wrong 2015 and '16 are options, and if Alonso doesn't win a WDC by then I think he might be able to leve them for the Bulls...

Alonso + Newey would be the perfect match, with a team clearly focusing on one driver, they would be impossible to beat

Shaneus

Alonso + Newey would be the perfect match, with a team clearly focusing on one driver, they would be impossible to beat
They do that now, and they nearly ARE impossible to beat.

Anyway, there's no way in hell that I'll be able to stay awake for this, so hopefully when I wake up tomorrow Alonso will be WDC. Doubtful, but I won't be crushed if Vettel is the winner... it's not like he hasn't deserved it.

Dead Man

They do that now, and they nearly ARE impossible to beat.

Anyway, there's no way in hell that I'll be able to stay awake for this, so hopefully when I wake up tomorrow Alonso will be WDC. Doubtful, but I won't be crushed if Vettel is the winner... it's not like he hasn't deserved it.

Yeah, I have an overnight shift tonight but a passive one so I can sleep... but I don't think I will be able to knowing Vettel might fall off the track still. Don't know if I will really be awake though, either.

DD

I really don't see what's wrong with the physics in F1 2012. The game came with lots of bugs, but in terms of physics and handling, it seems to me that it is the most realistic in the series, while 2011 was more arcadey.

Say what you will, but I'd have to put him down as being the most improved driver in 2012. Started off poor (incident-wise) but he's lifted his game something fierce this year.

There are probably others who have improved more, but he's the first that comes to mind.
What?! Maldonado is the most inconsistent driver of the grid. He might be ahead of Senna in most of the qualys (remembering that he beat the shit out of Barrichello too in his first year [!] in the F1), but in terms of finishing positions, Senna is way ahead of him. Senna scored points in most of the races, while Maldonado struggles in that area. Purpose is fast as hell, and when he does right, he's between the cars on the front, but his inconsistency is really shit.

Remember that Senna is always in disadvantage because he loses his seat on the first free practices for Bottas, so it's not easy for him to know the track, the car, and to adjust it when he loses one hour and half of practicing time before every race.

Hackbert

Daimler gains full control of Mercedes F1 team after buying out Middle Eastern stake
daimlerf1control.jpg

seems like they are willed to invest a hefty sum.
When rumors surfaced earlier this year regarding the desire of Abu Dhabi's Aabar Investments to completely shed its stake in Daimler, no one knew why and neither party would comment. The Middle Eastern investment firm took a 9.1-percent stake in Daimler in 2009, had dropped that to 3.1 percent earlier this year, then got rid of the remainder in October. Part of that original deal in 2009 was a 40-percent share in the Mercedes Formula One team, and Reuters has reported that Daimler just bought that back as well.

Pending approval from the regulatory authorities, the German company will fully control its F1 team (team principal Ross Brawn had owned 24.9-percent of the team but sold it to Mercedes in early 2011). The amount paid for the stake hasn't been disclosed.

Daimler can now focus on getting the team where it wishes to be, which is not down in fifth place fighting with Sauber and with less than half the points of fourth-placed Lotus. The team rebranded itself Mercedes-AMG this year, has committed to Formula One's Concorde Agreement until 2020 and signed Lewis Hamilton for three years. It will want to begin extracting added value for the hundreds of millions of dollars it has already invested and the hundreds of millions more it knows are required.
News Source: Automotive News - sub. req.

DD

Massa just gave an interview on TV.

They asked if he still feels the pain because of 2008's last race (all that things with Hamilton, Glock and Vettel on the final laps, when he lost the title by one point), and he said that he doesn't feel that much, because he didn't lose the title specifically on that race, but races before.

When asked about his recent lack of performance and if it was due the accident back in 2009, he said that he went to a lot of doctors to see if there was something wrong with his brain, but they always said that there was nothing wrong, that everything was fine, etc. Felipe said that he never felt that he was a worse driver than he was before. His improvement through this year he says it was because he changed the car more for his driving style, and because he's in therapy in the last few months. He said that all the bashing, all the people putting other drivers on his seat for 2013 or even in the middle of 2012 was affecting him. When facing the possibility of Ferrari not signing him for 2013, he said: you know what? Whatever happens, I'm gonna have fun from now on. And that's why he says that he is doing well now, because he's happy again, and feeling himself over all that stuff.

Massa

I really don't see what's wrong with the physics in F1 2012. The game came with lots of bugs, but in terms of physics and handling, it seems to me that it is the most realistic in the series, while 2011 was more arcadey.

It depends on how you play. If you use a controller it feels much better, but it looks like they screwed it up for wheel users.

DD

It depends on how you play. If you use a controller it feels much better, but it looks like they screwed it up for wheel users.

Hmm, I didn't played 2011 with a wheel, but yeah, I had to make some adjustments to play 2012 decently with a wheel, and I'm still having problems with it. There's a bug (I don't know if it's specifically for the wheel I'm using [a Logithech Momo] or if it's general) that makes the wheel loose or 100% heavy, and there's no middle ground.

kharma45

Yeah with a wheel it's still understeer galore, and they brought back stupid stuff from 2010 like tapping the brakes to stop a spin dead.

2011 is the highlight of the series from a driving perspective but I'm using the word highlight loosely, it was still a frustrating game.

Omiee

How is lotus pace? Is kimi going to be able to race alonso or is alonso going to have an easy race if vettel has a dnf?

How is lotus pace? Is kimi going to be able to race alonso or is alonso going to have an easy race if vettel has a dnf?

If Kimi would have had normal weekend maybe he could but he said that car was not that good in qualifying because they couldn't test any settings in practise as engine broke down and had to use settings from Friday. Not to mention that rather cold weather is not good for Lotus. Really doubt it.

Leonsito

Alonso pace is only behind both McLaren imo, Vettel will have to keep a cool head all the race, I'm pretty sure he will finish behind Alonso even in a normal race.

Ark

On one hand I want a dry race because I want to see McLaren finish 1-2. On the other, a full wet race would be the perfect ending to this season.

Septimius

Does anyone know what the deal is with the BBC Player? I just get "This content does not seem to be working" (this is v 1.40) - I'd really, really appreciate help. Would like to watch this race on BBC.

Top Bottom