• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

_machine

I love how Kimi's boat is called the 'George Takei'.. and he rubs down d00dz on it
Well he did pull off the bikini-top of one of those girls...

Loved the Silverstone race even if Pastor did his best to ruin it for me (ran Kimi off the track and crashed Perez). A well deserved win to Webber even if Ferrari helped him a bit, but I'm a bit disappointed in Kimi's speed; Grosjean had way worse luck and started a bit behind him yet he ended not too far from Kimi.

Edmond Dantès;39653955 said:
It's wholly unnatural and artificial though. Racing each other is one thing, passing with absolute ease with the press of a button and minimal steering input is another. The balance still isn't there yet and there needs to be more tweaking to the system in place.

I hear your argument that tires, DRS and KERS providing an artificial way for the drivers to pass each other, but I don't agree with you on them being easy with "minimal steering input" we've seen time and time again some incredibly brave and dangerous overtakes that provided for a great spectacle.

In the ever evolving experimental environment of F1 some tracks get a longer DRS zone than they should and some get a shorter one than it should. But this is a way forward and it's a lot better than the years were the race had one or two overtakes and there was basically very little going on.

We shouldn't go backwards and stop DRS or KERS, like you said, they need to be well-balanced and to me this year has been fairly balanced. The craziness and the unpredictably is what we want that's what we are getting.

cilonen

Down because so many people actually went? They did say it had the highest attendance ever.

I was there from thursday evening, camping in Silverstone Boglands, er, I mean "Woodlands". There were more people than I've ever seen there for free practises on the Friday, and even with asking 20,000 to stay away on Saturday the place felt rammed and buzzing. Absolutely incredible atmosphere all weekend.

Some highlights: KK being first to put in a complete lap (rather than just going straight back in the pits) in abysmal conditions in FP1 and earning the adoration of the stands for doing so. Then, when wet tyres were as rare as hen's teeth in FP2, bolting on the same set of well used wets and going for it again when everyone else was kicking their heels in the garages. God love him for it, my new favourite driver.

The crowd in the Club corner and pit straight stands on Friday in FP2. Getting impatient for action a mexican wave started in Club and managed to jump the gap and carry on down the straight, causing jubilation as we in Club cheered the Pit straight stand and they cheered us back.

GP2 friday practice for comedy spins. Historic F1 was superb to see too.

Webber's pass on Alonso for the win was awesome, especially as Alonso looked so damn fast and in control, then suddenly he came around with a Red Bull right on his tail.

Grosjean looked super quick all weekend, he just did not get any luck.

Even though it's slow the Marussia looks sorted and stable through the corners (watching at Becketts). The HRT looks about as stable as a drunk being chucked out of a pub at closing time, although that could just be Karthikeyan's adoption of the 'Drunken Master' cornering style.

An F1 car on the overrun (full throttle lift-off, dumping unburned fuel straight into the hot exhaust where it detonates) still sounds like someone's lobbed a grenade, you feel it in your chest from 30ft away. Magical.

Now I'm off to watch the Sky coverage of the race and figure out what happened to Alonso!

Dave_6

An F1 car on the overrun (full throttle lift-off, dumping unburned fuel straight into the hot exhaust where it detonates) still sounds like someone's lobbed a grenade, you feel it in your chest from 30ft away. Magical.

I still have yet to hear an F1 car in person. I only hope that if the time comes these new turbo V6's will have much more of an impact on my ears than the new Indy Car engines do.

Edit: Am I correct that they are going to those next year or is it 2014?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I still have yet to hear an F1 car in person. I only hope that if the time comes these new turbo V6's will have much more of an impact on my ears than the new Indy Car engines do.

Edit: Am I correct that they are going to those next year or is it 2014?
Delayed until 2014.

Just watching the race again but this time with the Pit lane info all the way though (magical discovering the red button on race replays for Sky, tend to watch each race at least 3 times and watch it different each time, awesome stuff).

Anyways, these 1.6 Turbo engines. Will we get a Dump Valve/Blow off Valve sound from them? I'm attending Silverstone next year before the new engines arrive in 2014 as I'm worried the sound difference will be so dramatic (good or bad Im note sure, but guessing the latter with the lower RPM).

Another quick question, what's the thought on average speed around tracks, will they be faster or slower overall (I'm not sure if that's what's being discussed these last few posts, hard to keep up sometimes?)

My birthday present from the wife arrived today!

lotusshirt.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
So I actually sat and watched Grand Prix: The Killer Years tonight. Wow. I'm not sure what my reaction is other than complete surprise that it was that dangerous and to think it was only 50 or so years ago? Pretty scary stuff. Chapman certainly doesn't come off well, but neither does just about anybody who didn't think there was a problem with so many drivers getting killed back then. Absolutely brutal, especially Jim Clark's death. It's got to be a scary feeling going out there knowing there's a good possibility you may end up getting killed. It takes a large amount of guts for that and when they eventually boycotted Spa and the Nurburgring. Definitely glad the sport is much safer today (in just about every kind of racing, but particularly here). Thanks for the recommendation, Edmond.
Your thoughts echo what many have said about Chapman. There are those who were alive during that era and saw first hand how ruthless he was and how strong his lust for glory was and look back on that era as a golden period of F1. Then there are those of us who look back at that era without rose-tinted spectacles and realise how dangerous that quest for success was and how it blinded him in regards to driver safety. To push the boundaries of car design at the expense of driver safety in that era was treated differently to the way it would be treated now. A modern day Colin Chapman would be be facing severe disciplinary action from the governing body or even expulsion from the sport as well numerous lawsuits.

But with all that said, he is still rightly regarded as one of the top four designers in F1 history, the others being Rory Byrne, Gordon Murray and Adrian Newey.

dubc35

Watching the race now, lap 44/52 currently, fuck prupose!

e* Webbeh!

so prupose gets a fine and no grid penalty? Sorry I'm late to the whole discussion.

Adamm

Seems like Spa has agreed a deal to host the race for another 3 years to 2015.

I think I speak for everyone when I say Fuck yeah!

Fantomex

Watching the race now, lap 44/52 currently, fuck prupose!

e* Webbeh!

so prupose gets a fine and no grid penalty? Sorry I'm late to the whole discussion.

Yep, a fine which the Venezuelan government will pay anyway. It's sad really. I just hope he doesn't get anyone hurt, he's a bit wreckless and always has a valid excuse for his incidents.

Risgroo

Seems like Spa has agreed a deal to host the race for another 3 years to 2015.

I think I speak for everyone when I say Fuck yeah!

What? Bernie needs to stop letting these shit tracks host races at the expense of the true greats like Bahrain. SMH

YESSSSSSSSSSSS! Shpa!

amar212

I still can't believe that Heidi freaking Klum dated Flavio Briatore! I mean WTF! Women chastise men all the time but that has to be pure "money goggles."

My GF had a similar thought until she realised the net-value of Bernie Ecclestone.

Since then she finds him one of the most beautiful man on earth.

New in-depth analysis from Gary Anderson.

Red Bull & Ferrari adapt best to tricky tyres, but McLaren struggle

Superficially, it appears as if Fernando Alonso lost the British Grand Prix because Ferrari decided to run the more fragile 'soft' tyres on his car at the end of the race rather than the strategy Red Bull chose, which was to get them out of the way early on.

The other tyre, the 'hard', was the better race tyre at Silverstone and Alonso had struggled on the 'soft' in the only dry practice session. Hence the decision.

Ferrari's strategy made a lot of sense.

It meant that Alonso would be using the 'soft' tyres when the fuel load was lightest, when they should work better and last longer than with a full tank at the start of the race.

Using them later should also lessen the phenomenon known as 'graining' - when the surface of the tyre tears and reduces grip - because there would be more rubber laid down on the track.

Unfortunately for Ferrari, Alonso had a lack of front grip when he fitted the 'soft' tyres and he was helpless to fend off Mark Webber.

The one thing Ferrari might have done wrong is make Alonso's second stop too early.

They did it because Webber was starting to catch them at about half a second a lap and they wanted to ensure Alonso came out of the pits still comfortably ahead.

But Webber was closing so fast because he was on new tyres at the time. That edge would have gone away pretty quickly.

Had Alonso stayed out longer, he may have rejoined behind Webber. But if he had had five or six laps at the end of the race on new tyres he might well have been able to catch and pass the Red Bull before he had to worry about getting into the graining stage.

Hamilton complained after the race that his second set of 'hard' tyres felt different from the first.

I would bet the reasons for that are to do with the amount of time the tyres spent heating up in the blankets in the pits - that can change their characteristics enormously.

There was further evidence of McLaren not optimising the tyres in qualifying at Silverstone.

A lot of the problems Button has been experiencing in recent races have been caused by him struggling to get front tyre temperature.

The alarm bells should be ringing in the situation McLaren are in.

I think Button's problems are revealing an issue with the car. It is not as obvious with Hamilton because he is better at driving around problems and adapting his style, but at Silverstone it affected him, too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18763819

Dilly

Banned
I saw a 'welcome to the world of Red Bull' ad at the movie theatres today and it didn't even have their F1 team in it. For some reason they thought a guy in speedos jumping off a cliff had more to do with their brand then the sport where they have 2 teams.

Pft.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Damn.

So it's Perez for Massa in 2013?
Massa is going to stay at Ferrari too, well that my guess.
Nothing is going to happen in the driver market next year, last year of this generation of F1.
2014 is when it all goes mad with the new engines and rules and big changes in team personnel at all levels.

Nolan.

Nothing is going to happen in the driver market next year, last year of this generation of F1.
2014 is when it all goes mad with the new engines and rules and big changes in team personnel at all levels.

I think Massa needs to go personally, this late charge is all nice and everything but i'm not convinced he will start off next year strong. If Ferrari keeps him for next year Redbull and Mclaren in particular will breathe a sigh of relief. Anyway i'm not sure how to feel about Mark at Redbull still I guess I just really wanted to see him in red but if he's competitive and comfortable where he is I guess why not. This I suppose also means Lewis will stay right where he is unless of course he fancies taking a challenge and going to somewhere like Williams. Also I hope Sutil gets a seat somewhere.

Adamm

I think Massa needs to go personally, this late charge is all nice and everything but i'm not convinced he will start off next year strong.

He has improved over the last few races, but let's not get carried away - he still looks a long way from getting a race win.

Given that 2014 is such a shift, the teams have every reason to want as much continuity going into that season as they can get. There's really not much to gain from having a new driver trying to fit into a team while all of that is going on. If Ferrari want a new long-term team mate for Fernando, they really have to start with them next year so they can get comfortable in the team and benefit from all the 2014 development preparations.

And that's without even considering that, as has already been mentioned, if they hold on to Massa for another year then it's more or less guaranteed they won't be winning the constructor's championship next year.

Shaneus

From Myclonic Jerk: Yes, he got banned for getting too boisterous and saying "Eff Off" but is sorry. In the meantime here's a post from him:

http://www.offonf1.com/site/display_article/kimi_launches_new_merchandise_range/12-06-30

Cheers!
I want a Kimi shirt that says "I was taking a shit".
Good news! Looks like Webber is staying with RBR next year.
Yes!
Could explain why Mark has been looking pretty damn happy recently. I love seeing our old Mark back.
Same. Eddie's comment on the Forum about him appearing relaxed seems to have been dead-on.

As the thread's #1 Webber fan (come on, I was harping on about him well before everyone else here, damnit) I'm stoked with this news. If he has to retire at the end of 2013, hopefully he hops out of the RB9 straight into a Porsche for Le Mans.

Edit: This is interesting:
Were you tempted to think about moving elsewhere?
MW: There were discussions with Ferrari, but my decision was to stay here
Well, there you go. Glad he stuck with RBR.

Will 2013 be your last season in F1?
MW: I’ve been asked this question for the past four years and my answer remains the same. It’s a
results-based sport at the front of the grid so the future lies in my own hands. It’s down to me to
deliver the on-track results.
Sounds like as long as he can deliver results, he'll keep racing. Hopefully RBR feel the same.

He has improved over the last few races, but let's not get carried away - he still looks a long way from getting a race win.

The P4 finish at the British GP is Massa's best result since the 2010 Korean Grand Prix, where he finished on P3. His last win was in Brazil 2008. This man has no business driving that Ferrari.

Edmond Dantès;39709337 said:
I don't see Lewis leaving McLaren now. Merc are still behind the top three and Lotus have two drivers who aren't going anywhere.

I know they have Grosjean, but who's the other top driver?

Nolan.

Edmond Dantès;39709337 said:
I don't see Lewis leaving McLaren now. Merc are still behind the top three and Lotus have two drivers who aren't going anywhere.

Yeah pretty much. Unless of course either him or Fernando wins the championship this year it would make him moving to Ferrari a lot easier. Anyway Mclaren as they are now are lucky to have Jenson and Lewis, a brilliant pairing that I hope they will get their stuff together to keep for a while.

CiSTM

Banned
I really hope Kovalainen will stay in F1 in 2013. He himself seems to think (know?) he will drive. Bottas will probably aim some team but probably won't drive until 2014. I wonder if Senna and Pastor will be still driving next season, maybe if they will keep bringin the money.

Adamm

I don't think senna brings in that much money, certainly not enough to keep him on next season after how bad he has been so far.

Edit: Why would Kovalainen leave f1? I thought there were rumours of him joining a better team as he is too good to be stuck at caterham.

smiggyRT

I'd be really surprised if Kovalainen left Caterham let alone couldn't get a drive.

Although we have seen Sutil at the last couple race as well.

CiSTM

Banned
I don't think senna brings in that much money, certainly not enough to keep him on next season after how bad he has been so far.

Edit: Why would Kovalainen leave f1? I thought there were rumours of him joining a better team as he is too good to be stuck at caterham.

Rumors are rumors, all we know for sure is that he won't be driving caterham car next year. I believe the rumors are true since Heikki seems confident he will be driving next year so maybe he has contract already... But with whom? To replace Senna maybe?

I'd be really surprised if Kovalainen left Caterham let alone couldn't get a drive.

Although we have seen Sutil at the last couple race as well.

He has already left, well he still has this season but won't be driving at Caterham.

Top Bottom