• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Joni

Can't say that VT4 is doing that bad of a job, but the commentary really could be a lot better. Atleast it's better than when it still was with Sporza, they didn't show qualify and they had a habit of not showing races at all because there was a tennis match or cycling event.

What sportschannel? F1 newsreports are short, sometimes even quite wrong since we don't really have any experts.

I can't really agree with it, general interest for motorsports here is lacking a lot.

On Sporza they always show motorcycling and reports of rally races. F1 news reports are lacking but that is because the only two stations with news reports don't have any rights on it.

mclaren777

pirelli are shit and their tyre lottery is slowly killing grand prix racing.

a 2014 tyre war needs to happen.

ibrWZk7oJcCj3T.png

Ty4on

I was watching some F1 back when we had Michelin and Bridgestone, but didn't have much knowledge. Did they compete to make the tires as good as possible?

Chris R

The thing is, if refueling stays banned then every single race would be a single stop race with perfect tires.

Granted I don't want the race won or lost in the pits, but having SOME strategy depend on the pits is good in my opinion.

Adamm

The thing is, if refueling stays banned then every single race would be a single stop race with perfect tires.

Granted I don't want the race won or lost in the pits, but having SOME strategy depend on the pits is good in my opinion.

Remove the mandatory pitstop! :D

Jensen

pirelli are shit and their tyre lottery is slowly killing grand prix racing.

a 2014 tyre war needs to happen.
Pirelli have built them to the specification given by the FIA, this is what fans wanted after the Canada race on Bridgestone tyres.

Multiple tyre manufacturers will probably never be pursued again after what happened Indianapolis and frankly F1 is a better sport to follow is better without one.

pants

I was watching some F1 back when we had Michelin and Bridgestone, but didn't have much knowledge. Did they compete to make the tires as good as possible?

The Goodyear vs Bridgestone battle was particularly hilarious to me. Teams would leap above each other based entirely on track temperature. (Or actually I may be remembering M vs B)

Joni

The best choice would be to stop mandating everybody to race with both soft and hard tyres. Let people guess if they want to do less stops with the hard or go faster with more stops with the soft.

Adamm

Refueling makes no difference, it would be the same as it is now except stops would be longer.

Also refueling with perelli tires would be a mess.

Adamm

Would that not lead to very boring strategies?
When you only have a choice between 2 tyres, its usually easy to work out which tyre is the best for the race. So everyone would start on that tyre & stay on it.

If they had all 4 tyres every weekend, then it might be more fun! :D

Massa

The P4 finish at the British GP is Massa's best result since the 2010 Korean Grand Prix, where he finished on P3. His last win was in Brazil 2008. This man has no business driving that Ferrari.

His last "win" was German 2010. Exactly what Alonso wants from his number 2 driver and the reason Massa will be staying at Ferrari next year, rather than a rookie that can pull another Hamilton on him.

Lucius86

Banned
Meh, you lot suck majorly.

Pirelli have single-handely made F1 exciting - and you want to take it away!?! Nutters, the lot of you.

Joni

Would that not lead to very boring strategies?
When you only have a choice between 2 tyres, its usually easy to work out which tyre is the best for the race. So everyone would start on that tyre & stay on it.

Not quite, we have seen that Mercedes and McLaren react poorly to hard tyres while a Ferrari is a disaster on softs. The strategy would be quite diverse per team.

Anyone who hates this season is also a fan of a certain team or a driver only. Boom.

This is just an assumption and in no way means I've found out why some people hate what could be one of the best seasons in F1 history.

His last "win" was German 2010. Exactly what Alonso wants from his number 2 driver and the reason Massa will be staying at Ferrari next year, rather than a rookie that can pull another Hamilton on him.

Ah yes, "Fernando is faster than you". Probably his greatest moment in his career, right after losing the 2008 WDC on his winning lap. My other points are still vaild. His last podium in Korea was after the German GP and during the whole 2011 season, he never finished better than 5th, while Alonso had 10 podiums that year. In both 2010 and 2011 he finished 6th in the championship (with even less points in 2011). This year, it took him four races to finally score some points and contribute to the constructors' championship and even then he scored only 2 points. Now, after 9 races, he is 13th in the drivers' championship with 23 points, right after Michael Schumacher, who had several DNFs this year. That means he's behind other midfield drivers like Paul di Resta, Sergio Perez or Jenson Button. Ferrari is on a distant second place in the constructors' championship, with 152 points. Doing some highly complicated math, I found out that Fernando Alonso alone scored 129 points for the team.

Good job, Felipe!

kQKHm.jpg

So please, Massa, tell me again how Felipe is oh so valuable for the team and can't be replaced by a better lapdog like Webber, Perez or Kovaleinen.

Ark

Anyone who hates this season is also a fan of a certain team or a driver only. Boom.

This is just an assumption and in no way means I've found out why some people hate what could be one of the best seasons in F1 history.
2010 was a far more historic year for the championship than this year has turned out so far. I'm no fanboy of any particular team or driver, but the artificial unpredictability is not making this one of the greatest seasons in history.

After a year and a half, I don't think there's any need for both DRS and the super undurable Pirelli tyres.

Meh, you lot suck majorly.

Pirelli have single-handely made F1 exciting - and you want to take it away!?! Nutters, the lot of you.

Pirelli are just taking away from what the problem really was in the first place; the regulations.

Lucius86

Banned
Pirelli are just taking away from what the problem really was in the first place; the regulations.

And nothing was going to fix that anytime soon. Pirelli came in, looked at what Bridgestone did, went 'fuck you', and suddenly turned F1 races from borefests to something quite extraordinary.

I seriously wonder if you guys watch F1 for the same reasons as me. F1 is now EXCITING, UNPREDICTABLE, and has more sex appeal with Webber and Michibata on show. We have seen more amazing overtakes than we ever have done (some are too artificial, but the artificiality has led to increased 'epic' moments) - we are in a golden era of F1, and the viewing figures show it.

paskowitz

I really do not see how the tires are ruining this year. If anything it is the ridiculousness of DRS that is killing this year. It is either way too effective or not effective at all. DRS should be more thoughtfully placed and its effect reduced. If not that then scrapped all together and a little more power given to KERS.

Juicy Bob

2012 is the best season I can remember watching since I was old enough to remember watching races. From about 1996 onwards. Everything seems pretty much perfect as it is right now. Why change anything?

The only thing I would consider changing is getting rid of the two compounds during a race rule. Let's give teams the freedom to run a whole race on one set of hard tyres, if they can manage it.

Grim1ock

Banned
There is only one way to make formula 1 more exciting and unpredictable.

No regulations when it comes to tires and car innovations.

Let it be a free for all. Innovate how you like and use what tyre you like. Regulations will only come into force regarding safety/accidents/penalties etc

Basically do what you want. That way teams will stop looking at each other and start focusing on bettering themselves.

And nothing was going to fix that anytime soon. Pirelli came in, looked at what Bridgestone did, went 'fuck you', and suddenly turned F1 races from borefests to something quite extraordinary.

I seriously wonder if you guys watch F1 for the same reasons as me. F1 is now EXCITING, UNPREDICTABLE, and has more sex appeal with Webber and Michibata on show. We have seen more amazing overtakes than we ever have done (some are too artificial, but the artificiality has led to increased 'epic' moments) - we are in a golden era of F1, and the viewing figures show it.

I think they want to watch a race with a predictable outcome, known winner and boring 2 hours of time trails. If Pirelli walks away they might as well drop the racing in F1 and make it all practice sessions.

What made the old era of F1 so beautiful is the wheel to wheel racing, and we are almost getting there. So why take that away now?

The only thing I would consider changing is getting rid of the two compounds during a race rule. Let's give teams the freedom to run a whole race on one set of hard tyres, if they can manage it.

The difference in tire compounds is what is making this a very close competition.

This would be a disaster, in 2 or 3 years they'd reach an "optimal" racing car that would never change. The changing in rules and regulations makes the engineers think of better ways to make the car go as fast as the loophole innovations that they found before. Double DRS for Mercedes this year as an example and Saubers whole backside.

Deadman

There are the same number of overtakes as there ever were before. Just now there are also events that look like overtakes, but are actually a guy on destroyed tyres being passed by a guy pushing a magic go faster button.

You can hear it from the drivers too, they take no pride in the vast majority of their overtakes because they know the guy defending has no chance whatsoever. Only special non-artificial overtakes give them pride, same as it was before.

Ark

This would be a disaster, in 2 or 3 years they'd reach an "optimal" racing car that would never change. The changing in rules and regulations makes the engineers think of better ways to make the car go as fast as the loophole innovations that they found before. Double DRS for Mercedes this year as an example and Saubers whole backside.

You're telling me that in 3 years we would have the optimum F1 car and it would never get quicker? When we had cars in 2004 that were many seconds quicker than we have today?

TylerD

and the ability to mix and match to really shake things up lol

In the first V8 Supercars race of last weekend one team had found that the rule saying that only one type of tyre may be used on the car at a time had been omitted from the sporting manual. They ran the first stint on soft tyres, the 2nd stint on 3 soft tyres and 1 hard, then the final on the hards since they had no more softs. They would have ran the final stint on softs if they had them.

There is an orange light that is illuminated in the windshield to signify that the driver is on soft tyres and he had the light illuminated while having one hard tyre on the car.

V8 Supercars.com.au said:
Steve Owen used one hard tyre during yesterday’s 72-lap race with three soft tyres on the three other corners of his Falcon in the second stint of the race.

The Sporting Regulations pre-race had read that: “For Meetings where Hard and Soft Tyres are allocated, it will be a requirement for both compounds to be used in both Races”, though this rule did not clarify the mixture of tyre compounds not being permitted as it had in previous versions of the rulebook.

They sporting body met and clarified that rule again prior to the 2nd race of the weekend.

You're telling me that in 3 years we would have the optimum F1 car and it would never get quicker? When we had cars in 2004 that were many seconds quicker than we have today?

I'm telling you that in an F1 without change in rules and regulations engineers would be able to reach an optimal F1 racing car in 2 to 3 years. Then the development race would almost die off and there would be the perfect baseline-F1 car that would almost never change.

Ark

I'm telling you that in an F1 without change in rules and regulations engineers would be able to reach an optimal F1 racing car in 2 to 3 years. Then the development race would almost die off and there would be the perfect baseline-F1 car that would almost never change.

That is the precise opposite of what would happen, 2008 as prime example.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

To play devil's advocate; the tyres have been a great equaliser and they've add a new dimension to the sport that was clearly lacking, but some would prefer to see competitiveness due to the merits of the cars themselves and drivers rather than the tyres. This is after all the 'pinnacle of motorsport' and not a showcase for Pirelli's tyres.

These additions (DRS, KERS, Pirelli tyres) have played a significant role in providing a spectacle, artificial or not, but they're stopgap measures from the FIA who have once again avoided the fundamental shift in design philosophy that has been needed ever since the terrible 1998 regulations came into effect. They've just thrown more into the cauldron intead of emptying it and further complicated matters.

Lucius86

Banned
Edmond Dantès;39724817 said:
To play devil's advocate; the tyres have been a great equaliser and they've add a new dimension to the sport that was clearly lacking, but some would prefer to see competitiveness due to the merits of the cars themselves and drivers rather than the tyres. This is after all the 'pinnacle of motorsport' and not a showcase for Pirelli's tyres.

These additions (DRS, KERS, Pirelli tyres) have played a significant role in providing a spectacle, artificial or not, but they're stopgap measures from the FIA who have once again avoided the fundamental shift in design philosophy that has been needed ever since the terrible 1998 regulations came into effect. They've just thrown more into the cauldron intead of emptying it and further complicated matters.

Can't say I disagree with the points made, but in all honesty I could not care less that they are stop gags for a true answer. What matters is what is on screen right now - we have excitement at long last. People no longer say F1 is boring. Record audience and attendance figures. VALENCIA WAS EXCITING FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER. We may have got lucky, but I'd much rather have this year all over again than any other in recent memory.

IISANDERII

I don't think they ever make tires as good as possible. I don't remember which manufacturer it was, but a few years ago(10?)one of them began to ignore the tradition that dictates more wear = less grip. So as the race went on, tires would wear but there would be very little to no decrease in grip. They still did tire changes because of refuelling(and safety I suppose).
When the competition complained, they had to go back to the traditional way. I don't know how you would enforce that and if you can't, tire wars are more about gentlemen's rules than about war and making use of your best resources.

That may create a really exciting engineering competition (for engineers), but the racing would be a pointless and boring sideshow. Ground effect and fan cars all over again, no thank you!

Massa

Ah yes, "Fernando is faster than you". Probably his greatest moment in his career, right after losing the 2008 WDC on his winning lap. My other points are still vaild. His last podium in Korea was after the German GP and during the whole 2011 season, he never finished better than 5th, while Alonso had 10 podiums that year. In both 2010 and 2011 he finished 6th in the championship (with even less points in 2011). This year, it took him four races to finally score some points and contribute to the constructors' championship and even then he scored only 2 points. Now, after 9 races, he is 13th in the drivers' championship with 23 points, right after Michael Schumacher, who had several DNFs this year. That means he's behind other midfield drivers like Paul di Resta, Sergio Perez or Jenson Button. Ferrari is on a distant second place in the constructors' championship, with 152 points. Doing some highly complicated math, I found out that Fernando Alonso alone scored 129 points for the team.

Good job, Felipe!

http://i.imgur.com/kQKHm.jpg[IMG]

So please, Massa, tell me again how Felipe is oh so valuable for the team and can't be replaced by a better lapdog like Webber, Perez or Kovaleinen.[/QUOTE]

Webber would be great for Ferrari but he's much better off at Red Bull. Perez is someone Alonso wouldn't want and Kovaleinen? Lol you.

I know you want him out of Ferrari, you've been saying it for years. I just don't see it happening, specially now that he's driving pretty well. When Kovaleinen is the best name people can come up with I'd say his job is pretty safe.

Salacious Crumb

Let it be a free for all. Innovate how you like and use what tyre you like. Regulations will only come into force regarding safety/accidents/penalties etc

Basically do what you want. That way teams will stop looking at each other and start focusing on bettering themselves.

"The richest team wins" doesn't sound very exciting or unpredictable to me.

NHale

Webber would be great for Ferrari but he's much better off at Red Bull. Perez is someone Alonso wouldn't want and Kovaleinen? Lol you.

I know you want him out of Ferrari, you've been saying it for years. I just don't see it happening, specially now that he's driving pretty well. When Kovaleinen is the best name people can come up with I'd say his job is pretty safe.

He finished a race in 4th and suddenly he's driving pretty well?!? Hey guys, Pastor Maldonado won the Spanish GP in a Williams, he must be the best driver of all time.

Massa

He finished a race in 4th and suddenly he's driving pretty well?!? Hey guys, Pastor Maldonado won the Spanish GP in a Williams, he must be the best driver of all time.

No, I'm looking at his race pace since Monaco. Looking at F1 with just the results is indeed pretty dumb.

G-Unit

Gee, me too I wish we could go back to the Schumi years (or Vettel last year) when he would win by 50 sec every single races and that, if we're extremely lucky, we might get a battle behind at some point during the race....maybe.

Yup, I miss those good old days.

you mean last year with vetel?

NHale

No, I'm looking at his race pace since Monaco. Looking at F1 with just the results is indeed pretty dumb.

You're right. Points don't win championships, race pace does.

And while he was fast at Canada until he made a rookie mistake (driver error matters or not?) and in Valencia he was behind both Force India before Kobayashi crushed into him. But please tell me more about the phenomenal driver that is Felipe Massa. The driver that has 23 points while his teammate has 129.

Massa

You're right. Points don't win championships, race pace does.

And while he was fast at Canada until he made a rookie mistake (driver error matters or not?) and in Valencia he was behind both Force India before Kobayashi crushed into him. But please tell me more about the phenomenal driver that is Felipe Massa. The driver that has 23 points while his teammate has 129.

I think you're consistently disturbing my points so I'm going to reply one more time here. I never said results aren't important, or that Massa is a phenomenal driver.

Results and points are the quickest way to analyse F1, but if you just stop looking there you're being too narrow and blind. Massa's performance since Monaco is considerably different than it was before then, I'll just leave it at that.

And what I said about Massa is that I think his current (since Monaco) race pace is exactly what Alonso wants for his team mate: fast enough to win points, not fast enough to threaten him. And I don't think Alonso will find a better driver in the market for that position.

As a Massa fan, I'd love for him to leave Ferrari. I also quite like Webber and Perez and I definitely don't want them going to Ferrari, I'm glad Webber isn't going. My take on Ferrari is that they're a pretty shitty team on every level, and Alonso's phenomenal performance is putting them way ahead of where their car deserves to be.

Fantomex

Formu Gaf, should we start planting our flags on drivers/teams? I know it helps in the NFL-Gaf thread, it actually kind of makes things fun.

Top Bottom