• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

acm2000

I don't think senna brings in that much money, certainly not enough to keep him on next season after how bad he has been so far.

Edit: Why would Kovalainen leave f1? I thought there were rumours of him joining a better team as he is too good to be stuck at caterham.

think again

These days, outside the leading teams, drivers are being asked to pay for their seats with lucrative sponsorship deals.

Top of the list is the Williams driver Pastor Maldonado, who is worth an estimated £45m to his team because he has the backing of Venezuela's national oil company, PDVSA. Maldonado is a friend of the Venezuela president, Hugo Chávez. And he won just one point last year.

His team-mate, Bruno Senna, has a wonderful name but not quite as wonderful as the £12m he brought to the table in the form of Brazilian sponsorship, headed by the oil giant Eike Batista.

Another old hand, Jarno Trulli, lost out at Caterham, when the team that was formerly Lotus brought in Vitaly Petrov, who is backed by a number of Russian companies, including the petrochemical firm Sibur, to the estimated merry tune of £12m.

Sergio Pérez signed for Sauber clutching a bag of Mexican gold, courtesy of Telmex, and down at the bottom of the paddock HRT have Narain Karthikeyan and Marussia have Charles Pic, who have both brought in about £5m. Pic's wealthy mother owns an estimated 6,000 trucks in France.

Heikki to Ferrari? Am I understanding the rumours right? That would be amazing.

After driving a year for Renault and then two years for McLaren, Caterham must feel like quite the downgrade. He'd make a good #2 driver at Ferrari and probably could actually support Fernando.

What does this mean? Has he signed already for another team but it hasn't been announced yet?

He wants to be in a top team again.

This is from last week, before the race:

But Kovalainen, in the final year of his original three-season deal at the Norfolk marque, admitted he does not plan to drive for a team fighting for positions outside the established teams in 2013 – be that with Caterham or elsewhere.

“My personal target is still to return to the top as soon as possible,” said Kovalainen. “Who knows where or when, but certainly next year I don’t want to be racing in this position again. I want to be in the pack at least, to show what I can do and also to prove to myself what I think I could do.

“At the moment I don’t know (if Caterham can provide that). It’s too early to say. We have to wait and see how we improve and where we are heading, and then at some point see what is available.

“The most important thing now is to keep the focus and momentum that we’ve gained and personally, to keep performing at a good level. That should put me in a good position whatever the situation at the end.

“I am quite happy here. I want to be fighting for better positions…but there are a lot of things that we have build here that are not necessarily worth throwing away immediately. It’s not easy to build these kind of things with any team straight away.

“On the other hand, I’m not a kid any more. I’m in the prime in my career. But I’ve really enjoyed it here; I’ve got on well with the team and they are making the right moves.”

paskowitz

Link

Mark Webber has signed a new contract with Red Bull for 2013, ending speculation he will move to Ferrari.

Off the back of winning the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, Webber has committed to a seventh year with the team. He had been linked with a move to Ferrari to replace Felipe Massa, but having closed the gap to championship leader Fernando Alonso with Sunday's victory Webber said that he feels comfortable with Red Bull.

"I've been with Red Bull Racing since 2007 and have achieved nine grand prix wins during that time," Webber said. "I'm high on confidence at the moment and firing on all cylinders. I know the Team well and I'm very comfortable here; we have grown together over the years and it feels like absolutely the right thing to stay with Red Bull for another season.

"The Team is constantly working hard to improve in all areas and we've shown that together we can win races. It's great to be able to make this announcement off the back of the win in Silverstone at the weekend and I'm looking forward to competing on the edge and pushing myself in every race again next season."

Webber did admit, however, that there had been some foundation to the Ferrari rumours: "There were discussions with Ferrari, but my decision was to stay here."

Team principal Christian Horner insisted at Silverstone that the team wanted to stick with its current driver line-up, and he said that Webber's success in 2012 so far made it an easy decision to extend his contract.

"Mark has driven very well in the first nine races of this season and his performance has been impressive," Horner said. "Much of his Formula One success has been during his time with Red Bull Racing and together we have achieved 10 poles, nine wins and 31 podiums. As there was a strong desire from both sides to continue the partnership, it was a logical decision to extend our relationship and it is with great pleasure that we confirm Mark will drive for us in 2013."

The new deal means that Red Bull's driver line-up of Webber and Sebastian Vettel will remain unchanged for a fifth consecutive season.

The article mentions Vettel is staying but does not say he has signed a new contract. All Horner says is that they "want to" stick with the current driver line up. In other words, the last sentence is not editorially sound.

Link

The article mentions Vettel is staying but does not say he has signed a new contract. All Horner says is that they "want to" stick with the current driver line up. In other words, the last sentence is not editorially sound.

qcPTl.jpg

2013 would be a bit too early, though. I can't see Ferrari working without a number two driver and neither Alonso nor Vettel would want to be in the #2 spot that Webber or Massa are in.

It's looks like Austin is making good progress.

"We're in the time of year now where we've a lot of daylight and no rain, and so we're making more progress than we even thought we'd make," Sexton told Reuters.

"We're on schedule to be complete. (Formula 1 Race Director) Charlie Whiting was at our site two or three weeks ago and took a look at it and said we're doing fantastic. He was very pleased."

Sexton went on to explain that Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone is also satisfied with the progress made, airing no major concerns at present.

"He seems happy at the moment but there's nothing the matter with high standards," he added. "He drives a hard bargain but with the same token he has a great respect for the people that he works with and thus the venues have a great respect for him."
gpupdate.net

Some pictures from June:

B3MBY.jpg

8bcoY.jpg

RP5dI.jpg

KX1ge.jpg

ZYl1y.jpg

1E521.jpg

I'd rather not see them teamed up.

Even though both drivers are pretty calm and relaxed, both still have a pretty big ego. It would be stupid of Ferrari to have both on the team.

Grim1ock

Banned
Anyone really bummed about mark not in ferrari?

He would look good in red! On the other hand i can understand his desire to be in a championship leading car

Grim1ock

Banned
anyone find it weird now how even same compound tires behave differently? Two 'same' hard tires with varying grip and durabilities?

Megasoum

Banned
Unfortunately, very serious.

This is possibly the worst F1 season I've ever watched (started in 1998).

Gee, me too I wish we could go back to the Schumi years (or Vettel last year) when he would win by 50 sec every single races and that, if we're extremely lucky, we might get a battle behind at some point during the race....maybe.

Yup, I miss those good old days.

Anyone really bummed about mark not in ferrari?

He would look good in red! On the other hand i can understand his desire to be in a championship leading car

On the one hand, yes, as it's always nice to see drivers moving around the grid, but on the other hand, I don't expect Webber to continue past 2013, so I'd rather not have what may well be his last year in the sport compromised by having to adapt to a new team.

AndyD

aka andydumi
anyone find it weird now how even same compound tires behave differently? Two 'same' hard tires with varying grip and durabilities?

I think this is what frustrates most people. If this was eliminated, then I think the tires would be fine.

Nolan.

anyone find it weird now how even same compound <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">tires</a> behave differently? Two 'same' hard tires with varying grip and durabilities?

Ever since Ron mentioned it in Canada iv'e been wondering. At Silverstone both Mercedes and Mclaren had the same issue of putting the same type of tyres on, heated to the same temperature, same pressure etc and yet so different in drop off rate, weird. Maybe there really is some blip in quality control, or cars with a Mercedes engine are just co-incidentally less consistent with getting them to work.

Leunam

I think this is what frustrates most people. If this was eliminated, then I think the tires would be fine.

Agreed. Notable differences in prime and option tires is fine. But changes in the same compound for two sets of primes? That's over the top.

Lach

Exactly. I like that we have tyres that force the drivers to either look after them or go for another pit stop. But I think it was Button after the first stop last race that radiod that the new (same compound) tyers behaved completly differently.

Exactly. I like that we have tyres that force the drivers to either look after them or go for another pit stop. But I think it was Button after the first stop last race that radiod that the new (same compound) tyers behaved completly differently.

Hamilton complained after the race that his second set of 'hard' tyres felt different from the first.

Gary Anderson:
I would bet the reasons for that are to do with the amount of time the tyres spent heating up in the blankets in the pits - that can change their characteristics enormously.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18763819

Pretty crazy.

I saw a 'welcome to the world of Red Bull' ad at the movie theatres today and it didn't even have their F1 team in it. For some reason they thought a guy in speedos jumping off a cliff had more to do with their brand then the sport where they have 2 teams.

Pft.

In the US we're starting to get a trickle of f1 related stuff from Infinity. But otherwise, nothing.

Ark

I love how everyone always forgets that 2010 actually had really dull, boring races and only had an interesting championship.

I said it countless times in 2010 and 2011, but I got chastised every time I said it.

I probably live in the only Western European country where they couldn't care less about F1 or motorsports.

Luxembourg?

I love how everyone always forgets that 2010 actually had really dull, boring races and only had an interesting championship.

I said it countless times in 2010 and 2011, but I got chastised every time I said it.

You're not alone, little pony.

Megasoum

Banned

Heh, I'm in Montreal and it's not much better... There's a lot of fans here in the city and some in the Quebec province but once you get out, it's pretty bare.

Sometimes I feel like Asterix with the last village resisting in the whole North America lol.

Dilly

Banned
Heh, I'm in Montreal and it's not much better... There's a lot of fans here in the city and some in the Quebec province but once you get out, it's pretty bare.

Sometimes I feel like Asterix with the last village resisting in the whole North America lol.

:lol

If you'd ask people what the LeMans 24h is, they'd probably think it has to do with cycling.

AndyD

aka andydumi
In the US we're starting to get a trickle of f1 related stuff from Infinity. But otherwise, nothing.

I missed the event they had here in Nashville at their headquarters. Car viewing and meet and greet with Webber I think. Found out about 2 hours after it was over. Hopefully they will have more stuff gearing closer to Austin.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Good news, he just fits within the team. He was with the team from the start so its only right for them to keep him.

Why is everyone expecting 2014 to change that much? Is it really just because of the new engine's?
End of one generation of drivers and the beginning of another.

Omiee

Your totally right.

2010 had boring ass races and an exciting championship.
2011 had boring ass championship but exciting races.
2012 so far has both =D

Edmond Dantès;39717011 said:
End of one generation of drivers and the beginning of another.

Which generation of drivers will end? Im sure the old guys will still be here like button, alonso, webber and others. The only one who might not race in 2014 is shumi, i can still see kimi racing in 2014.

Dilly

Banned
Spa-Franchorchamps is a big event though, and the motorcycling got a lot of attention when Everts was ruling it. Rally also gets a lot of attention compared to other sports not named football or cycling.

You from the dutch part of the country? Except for motorcycling, I've never seen much hype for Rally and Francorchamps here, except some small bits in the news.

Business

Bad tires make for bad racing.

I really hope next year isn't this bad.

Racing has been awesome, you say you started watching F1 in 1998 and you don't like what you see this year?
Ok.

The only problem with the current tyres is that everybody understands them by now and we will get back to only 2 or 3 teams having the chance to win a race, that is if McLaren can bounce back. See the last race result and swap ALO for VET and you get RBR, RBR, FER, FER, LOT, LOT. Not very exciting.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Your totally right.

2010 had boring ass races and an exciting championship.
2011 had boring ass championship but exciting races.
2012 so far has both =D

Which generation of drivers will end? Im sure the old guys will still be here like button, alonso, webber and others. The only one who might not race in 2014 is shumi, i can still see kimi racing in 2014.
Pedro de la Rosa
Kimi Raikkonen
Michael Schumacher
Felipe Massa
Button
Mark Webber (before today's announcement)

Were all rumoured to be leaving after 2013.

Joni

You from the dutch part of the country? Except for motorcycling, I've never seen much hype for Rally and Francorchamps here, except some small bits in the news.

Yes, I believe F1 gets quite a lot of attention here considering the channel it is on. They also do the MotoGP live. And the typical sports channel does cover motorsports each week depending on what was on that week.

Dilly

Banned
Yes, I believe F1 gets quite a lot of attention here considering the channel it is on. They also do the MotoGP live. And the typical sports channel does cover motorsports each week depending on what was on that week.

Can't say that VT4 is doing that bad of a job, but the commentary really could be a lot better. Atleast it's better than when it still was with Sporza, they didn't show qualify and they had a habit of not showing races at all because there was a tennis match or cycling event.

What sportschannel? F1 newsreports are short, sometimes even quite wrong since we don't really have any experts.

I can't really agree with it, general interest for motorsports here is lacking a lot.

Top Bottom