• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Hammer24

Banned
Boring? I thought it was pretty exciting actually.

I still think Silverstone is an underrated circuit on here, personally.

I love the circuit, don´t get me wrong. But the race was a downer. Probably the race with the least number of overtakings this year.
It would have needed either rain, and/or a second drs zone.

Shaneus

I thought there was plenty of overtaking. Grosjean managed to work his way up after pitting to get his wing repaired, Button worked his way up to 10th, Massa wound up 4th... all done with overtaking.

Dilly

Banned
You would hardly notice 3-4 seconds a lap slower provided the car you see it's still going at its limit. It could even look faster while being actually slower.

Offcourse it isn't going to be noticeable by the naked eye that a car is 3-4 seconds slower on a 2 minute lap, but that doesn't mean I have to like the fact that they are.

If they're about 3-4 seconds slower, which means that F1 will only be 4 seconds a lap faster (on a track like Valencia) than a GP2 car during qualify and about equal times during the race, it would be absolutely ridiculous for what should be the pinnacle of motorsports.

The cars have already been downgraded since 2004, it has to stop at one point. There has been no problems with the racing for the last 2 years. Especially comparing from where F1 came from. If you want close racing with the same chassis, then just watch the series that are doing this.

Business

Offcourse it isn't going to be noticeable by the naked eye that a car is 3-4 seconds slower on a 2 minute lap, but that doesn't mean I have to like the fact that they are.

If they're about 3-4 seconds slower, which means that F1 will only be 4 seconds a lap faster (on a track like Valencia) than a GP2 car during qualify and about equal times during the race, it would be absolutely ridiculous for what should be the pinnacle of motorsports.

The cars have already been downgraded since 2004, it has to stop at one point. There has been no problems with the racing for the last 2 years. Especially comparing from where F1 came from.

My point wasn't if you like it or not but if the mass will notice or not. If the mass won't notice and it makes for cheaper and more exciting races, they will do it.

acm2000

Edmond Dantès;39674697 said:
British GP viewing figures:

BBC

Average - 3.09m (20.9%)

12:05 to 12:55 - 2.64m (25.7%)
12:55 to 15:30 - 3.24m (19.4%)

Lowest since 2006.

Buildup to the race in Silverstone began on BBC1 at 12pm attracting an average of 2.6 million viewers and a 25.7% share of viewing in the slot until 1pm, when coverage shifted to BBC2 to give way to the tennis.

Between 1pm and 3.30pm an average of 3.2 million, a 19.1% share, caught Marc Webber beating Fernando Alonso at a rain-soaked Silverstone. A further 418,000 caught the Formula One on the BBC HD channel.

Business

It won't make it cheaper.

I believe with aero the less you can do, the fewer you'll spend. You probably think they will keep spending to get new downforce from the new rules.

That's certainly debatable but I still think in the long run it will make for cheaper cars.

Shaneus

Buildup to the race in Silverstone began on BBC1 at 12pm attracting an average of 2.6 million viewers and a 25.7% share of viewing in the slot until 1pm, when coverage shifted to BBC2 to give way to the tennis.

Between 1pm and 3.30pm an average of 3.2 million, a 19.1% share, caught Marc Webber beating Fernando Alonso at a rain-soaked Silverstone. A further 418,000 caught the Formula One on the BBC HD channel.
I can't believe that spelling is actually verbatim from the news article. Idiots.

f0rk

Just got back home. Had a great time over the weekend even with the weather. I would advise anyone who has the chance to try and go to a GP, the atmosphere and noise just can't be captured on TV. Plus with the fanvision screen things I had Sky commentary and the FIA feed for the race so didn't miss much.
Had good seats at Club, although there wasn't that much action there you see the cars go from fast to slow to fast again. It was more dramatic during the support races, the Porsches run pretty close and there was one spin, and during one of the GP races there was a big 3 way battle for 3rd where a Lotus went wide at Stowe then lost control getting back on track and crashed into another car went out while the Lotus finished. Dude wasn't happy when he got out.
Qualifying was surprisingly fun during the red flag, we sat on the international pit straight and had mexican waves going. Club and Vale got booed when they dropped it. Then the pit crews joined in and we had some fun with the people appearing on screen by booing them until they acknowledged us.
Would definitely go again, maybe try another race next year and make a travelling holiday out of it after Uni.

DBT85

I believe with aero the less you can do, the fewer you'll spend. You probably think they will keep spending to get new downforce from the new rules.

That's certainly debatable but I still think in the long run it will make for cheaper cars.

They spend hundreds of thousands of pounds to get a tiny fraction of a percentage point of either efficiency or downforce. That money will still be in the sport, so it'll still get spent on something even if for some reason they couldn't spend it on aero.

Dilly

Banned
They spend hundreds of thousands of pounds to get a tiny fraction of a percentage point of either efficiency or downforce. That money will still be in the sport, so it'll still get spent on something even if for some reason they couldn't spend it on aero.

Yup.

Business

The amount of money you can spend into something is not endless, specially if these other areas are subject to cost cutting measures as well. Cutting costs in F1 is possible, I don't see how you regard it as impossible.

Business

The cars have already been downgraded since 2004, it has to stop at one point. There has been no problems with the racing for the last 2 years. Especially comparing from where F1 came from. If you want close racing with the same chassis, then just watch the series that are doing this.

There has been no problem because cost cutting measures are already in place. You no longer have teams using an engine just for qualiy and another for the race for example. Cheaper cars allow for the sport to stay more competitive. I never said I want F1 to be a series using the same chasis for all cars btw, I only said putting more strict rules on what you can do on aero is good from both a cost and racing point of view.

Dilly

Banned
There has been no problem because cost cutting measures are already in place. You no longer have teams using an engine just for qualiy and another for the race for example. Cheaper cars allow for the sport to stay more competitive. I never said I want F1 to be a series using the same chasis for all cars btw, I only said putting more strict rules on what you can do on aero is good from both a cost and racing point of view.

And I find that it defies the point of F1. It's fine like it is now. If they start with even more strict rules, they might as well use the same chassis.

The amount of money you can spend into something is not endless, specially if these other areas are subject to cost cutting measures as well. Cutting costs in F1 is possible, I don't see how you regard it as impossible.

There will always be loopholes and the teams will always find ways to exploit them, improving tiny details are complicated, require more expertise and are more expensive to develop. Cutting costs is possible, but I'm certain this is not a solution.

Lucius86

Banned
Just watched the rest of the race.

Webber very much deserved that victory, and I always enjoy it when he has racing moments with Alonso. Mutual respect makes for great racing (Yes, Maldonado, you could learn from them) So, glad that Webber won it, if this championship isn't won by Alonso this year, I hope Webber gets it.

I like you even more. Now start supporting Grosjean a little bit and then I can truly call you my brother from another mother.

Dilly

Banned
I like you even more. Now start supporting Grosjean a little bit and then I can truly call you my brother from another mother.

I always wait for the confirmation year!

As for Webber, after this:
11531.jpg

How can you not find a driver who overtakes going into Eau Rouge cool? It's been my desktopwallpaper for like a year now, so I even have Webber on my desktop background!

Business

And I find that it defies the point of F1. It's fine like it is now. If they start with even more strict rules, they might as well use the same chassis.

I see what you mean and I could agree with this pinnacle of motorsport yadayada, but I started watching F1 in the middle of the '80s and I can't honestly remember more exciting races than what we have now, so I'll take the trade-off. Again don't take it to the extreme and go for same chassis, that's not the point.

Look at MotoGP nowadays, how many guys can win a race? 3. Nobody wants to watch that. MotoGP will have to change and be sure they will.

Dilly

Banned
I see what you mean and I could agree with this pinnacle of motorsport yadayada, but I started watching F1 in the middle of the '80s and I can't honestly remember more exciting races than what we have now, so I'll take the trade-off. Again don't take it to the extreme and go for same chassis, that's not the point.

Look at MotoGP nowadays, how many guys can win a race? 3. Nobody wants to watch that. MotoGP will have to change and be sure they will.

Yeah, don't get me wrong either. I absolutely endorse the changes made since 2009 ( even though I'm still not sure about DRS, it feels so cheap and sometimes really can ruin a good duel between drivers, I do like KERS though.) and I quite like how the cars looked before the stepped nose, but I just think they don't have to push it much further.

Business

Yeah, don't get me wrong either. I absolutely endorse the changes made since 2009 ( even though I'm still not sure about DRS, it feels so cheap and sometimes really can ruin a good duel between drivers, I do like KERS though.) and I quite like how the cars looked before the stepped nose, but I just think they don't have to push it much further.

Yes DRS is a bit of a cheap trick but it does the job overcoming the problems derived from aero and short braking distances. As long as aero makes it worst to be behind a car than being on your own I'm ok with DRS.

I don't mind Kers or DRS. It's the tyres and driving to a delta that sucks. With DRS, if a driver had the tyres under him, he could push hard and try to maintain that gap to avoid DRS. Now, if he does that, he could damage the tyres and instead of losing one spot, drop down the order quickly because he tried to do his job (drive fast).

Not sure why people endorse such.

kharma45

I'd be in favour of dropping DRS as I still don't like it but say giving a driver more KERS, say up the limit from 6 seconds to 10 seconds of us per lap.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I always wait for the confirmation year!

As for Webber, after this:
11531.jpg

How can you not find a driver who overtakes going into Eau Rouge cool? It's been my desktopwallpaper for like a year now, so I even have Webber on my desktop background!

That pic is pretty awesome.

mblitek

What was unpredictable today? To me, a clear trend is starting to stick out.

McLaren have a rubbish race car, good on quali.
Ferrari has a good race car.
RBR has a good race car.
Sauber sometimes have a good race car.
Williams sometimes have a good race car.

Everyone is a lot closer in performance than has been for a number of years.

Because of this, there is no one dominant force. Tyres play a big role, but there is a trend setting, and the races are closer than ever before. It is no coincidence RBR have the most race wins.

I love it.

You forgot one:

Lotus probably have the best racecar but not in Qualifying.

Dilly

Banned
I don't mind Kers or DRS. It's the tyres and driving to a delta that sucks. With DRS, if a driver had the tyres under him, he could push hard and try to maintain that gap to avoid DRS. Now, if he does that, he could damage the tyres and instead of losing one spot, drop down the order quickly because he tried to do his job (drive fast).

Not sure why people endorse such.

I liked the tires last year, but it's getting ridiculous this season.

mblitek

From Myclonic Jerk: Yes, he got banned for getting too boisterous and saying "Eff Off" but is sorry. In the meantime here's a post from him:

http://www.offonf1.com/site/display_article/kimi_launches_new_merchandise_range/12-06-30

Ahead of the British Grand Prix at Silverstone Kimi Raikkonen’s management team have launched a range of new Kimi-themed merchandise

Designed to showcase Kimi’s unique Mr. Miserable attitude to racing there are a number of different Raikkonen products that will be available from the beginning of July.

Starting with the tried and tested T-shirt range, fans can choose from three different shirt designs each with a Kimi catchphrase. Choose from the classic:“I’m a bit disappointed” or “I didn’t win, so it doesn’t matter” or the brilliant and enigmatic, “It is what it is”.

In addition fans can buy a special de-motivational DVD. Whereas there are many motivational DVDs on the market, Kimi has spotted the need for a downbeat one that can be given to people who are far too enthusiastic for their own good. Using his trademark, hacked-off, I’d-rather-be-somewhere-else monotone, Kimi believes he can bring down even the most effervescent door-to-door evangelist.

Finally, Kimi has put his name on a new low-energy drink. Whereas Red Bull (promoted by Sebastian Vettel) and Monster (promoted by Michael Schumacher) are caffeine-rich, high-energy drinks that get people buzzing, Kimi’s has the opposite effect. Kimi’s drink makes people tired and sleepy and want to lie down. Kimi has been testing out many varieties over the years to get the blend just right. Early samples suggest it’s actually beer.

283612_256274347818523_765369917_n.jpg

Cheers!

Reven

What an amazing race. Fernando and Webber both proved how great they are and of course Maldonado just proved that he doesn't have the maturity to race in Formula 1. Also Grosjean definitely proved that all eyes should be on him in coming years.

On the subject of DRS I personally like it but I think they should give drivers more KERS to even it out a little more.

pants

I miss old Hockenheim. I actually had a daydream about the track today. What was the year Berger nearly won it in a Benneton? 1996? 1997? I want to watch that race again, if anyone knows which year that was and where one can buy old F1 races I would be eternally grateful.

Omiee

I am very disappointed in shumi's drive. I really thought he could capitalize on his great qualy and fight for a win. The Mercedes cars were so easy to pass during the race.

mblitek

[...] Also Grosjean definitely proved that all eyes should be on him in coming years.

On the subject of DRS I personally like it but I think they should give drivers more KERS to even it out a little more.

I'm glad Boullier had decided to bring him back. I think that extra year/championship in GP2 gave him more confidence and racecraft. It must've *sucked* to come into Briatore's/Alonso's house after Piquet got the boot. Talk about pressure.

Reven

I'm glad Boullier had decided to bring him back. I think that extra year/championship in GP2 gave him more confidence and racecraft. It must've *sucked* to come into Briatore's/Alonso's house after Piquet got the boot. Talk about pressure.

Yeah it was a great move and in the end it will almost certainly pay dividends. Grosjean has a bright future that's for sure.

pants

How is Piquet doing these days anyway?

Chris R

He is racing the Nascar's truck series for the most part, but he did win recently in the Nationwide series (Nascar's version of GP2) which is the next series up on a road course, really out shown the rest of the field too.

pants

He is racing the Nascar's truck series for the most part, but he did win recently in the Nationwide series (Nascar's version of GP2) which is the next series up on a road course, really out shown the rest of the field too.

I'm glad for him, always felt sorry for his plight. Pity he got mixed up with Briatore and his dad was so pig headed.

mblitek

He is on my Twitter feed and every so often I see updates from him and it's like he has turned full on American hick! that said, though he is doing pretty well. I would not be surprised if he was joined by Maldonado by being banished from Formula One...

I still can't believe that Heidi freaking Klum dated Flavio Briatore! I mean WTF! Women chastise men all the time but that has to be pure "money goggles."

HEIDI+KLUM+BABIES.jpg

Flavio+Briatore+Heidi+Klum+Elisabetta+Gregoraci.jpg

Different model in the last picture!

Ark

I'd love to see Webber at Ferrari. I really think he'd suit well there, and that he'd look good in red.

Top Bottom