• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
How about a trade off, less aero but the return of ground effect like in the 90's?
Venturi Tunnels (a narrow tunnel under the side pod, shaped like an inverted wing. As air enters and is forced through the narrow center, its speed increases, creating a low pressure area between the bottom of the car and the track. This creates a suction effect, which holds the car to the track) a la Indy car, rather than full ground effect cars would be ideal.

ANDY_098

Does that mean it can be used longer, or stronger for the same amount of time. Those two are very different in what impact they can have.

It will have twice the power (120kW), and apparently ten times the storage capacity (4MJ).

Wasnt there talk a while back of ground effect returning with the new engines?

There was talk about it, but in the end it was decided that the 2014 aero regs would be based on the existing ones.

S. L.

Does that mean it can be used longer, or stronger for the same amount of time. Those two are very different in what impact they can have.

both, the power output is doubled and it can be deployed up to 33 seconds per lap (4MJ), but you can only harvest energy for 16 seconds per (2MJ) lap or so I remember it.

acm2000

look, no, sound, yes, especially pit stops, KERS powered pits is gonna be odd, i hope at least the engines dont have to be shut off, otherwise the gentle buzzzzzzz of a car gliding down the pit lane is gonna be very weird

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Do you guys expect the 2014 cars to look that different?

I'm assuming they'll just be smaller.
Slightly smaller, with better proportioned front wings and non-platypus noses. That's it really.

If the ground effects concept had been implemented into the regulations, then there would have been a big shift in the aesthetics of the cars. The biggest shift since the nineties.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Here's a very rough idea of what the noses will look like in 2014.

7fPXA.jpg

pants

Let's put it to a vote, which year(s) regs and racing did you enjoy most? For me :

1987 - 1997 were just about amazing.

Adamm

Edmond Dantès;39790084 said:
In the regulations.

Ah yes found it. Bulkhead must be no higher than 525mm (compared to 625mm in 2012) and the nose tip no more than 250mm(compared to 550mm in 2012).

I like that look alot better.

Let's put it to a vote, which year(s) regs and racing did you enjoy most? For me :

1987 - 1997 were just about amazing.

I can't argue that the championships were incredibly exciting, but in terms of sporting regs and the general design of the cars I really liked 2000-04. Also, I've said this before but I think the cars in the mid 60s, just before the introduction of wings, are the most gorgeous in the history of the sport.

S. L.

look, no, sound, yes, especially pit stops, KERS powered pits is gonna be odd, i hope at least the engines dont have to be shut off, otherwise the gentle buzzzzzzz of a car gliding down the pit lane is gonna be very weird

The technical rules for 2014 published by the FIA state cars must run “in electric mode” with “no ignition and no fuel supply to the engine at all times when being driven in the pit lane.”

will be interesting what will be done when the KERS unit fails...

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I can't argue that the championships were incredibly exciting, but in terms of sporting regs and the general design of the cars I really liked 2000-04. Also, I've said this before but I think the cars in the mid 60s, just before the introduction of wings, are the most gorgeous in the history of the sport.
Oh yes.

Eagle MK1

gurney-eagle_restoration_before.jpg

Ferrari 156

ferrari-156-f1-sharknose-_1.jpg

Ferrari 312

Ferrari-312-67-F1_6.jpg

Lotus 49

lotus-49-ford-11.jpg

dubc35

I only recently realised that the white gap in the logo is actually a number 1 :(

It's like the old Big Ten conference logo (collegiate conference mostly in the Midwest part of the US). They increased to 11 teams but kept the name, now at 12 and still have the name. Notice the 11 in the logo.

Big-Ten-Logo1.jpg

Back OT, the Ferrari 312 is drool inducing.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Prost speaks out on Senna film.
When the Senna film hit cinemas last year Alain Prost was widely reported not to have watched it.

This was despite Prost being interviewed for the film about his arch-rival, in which he featured heavily.

It now seems Prost has seen the film and, speaking to ITV during their coverage of the Goodwood Festival of Speed, he explained his complaints about the finished picture.

Asked if he was happy with his depiction in the film, Prost said: “Absolutely not. No I don’t agree at all.

“I’m really, I would say, upset, in a way. I tell you why in 30 seconds. Because I spent a lot of time shooting for this. I spent many, many hours trying to explain things.

“We had one Ayrton Senna before Formula One, we had the Senna when we were fighting in Formula One and we had the Ayrton Senna when I retired

“And then comes back the human side of the story with two personalities and people would understand much more what happened when we were fighting, why he was fighting like this, and would have understood much more the last three or four months where he was calling me almost once or twice per week asking me questions, asking me to go back to the GPDA, asking questions about Williams, about safety, about personal life – very big secrets that I will never tell anoybody.

“It would have been good to have that, it was all in the rush that I have done. And at the end they wanted to do a commercial thing going to the good and the bad. I don’t care too much about being the bad boy.

“But what I care is look at that. We are here in Goodwood, we have a lot of fans, it’s history of motor racing. I would have loved to have this end of the story.

“At the end of the day all of what you can see is the human side. Otherwise you have no history, you have no tradition and that is really a big shame.”
Source

Xun

Yeah I knew they'd sound different, but I do think they'll be (albeit slightly) smaller as well.

Edmond Dantès;39789180 said:
Slightly smaller, with better proportioned front wings and non-platypus noses. That's it really.

If the ground effects concept had been implemented into the regulations, then there would have been a big shift in the aesthetics of the cars. The biggest shift since the nineties.
Platypus noses aren't likely to pop up next season, right? Or so I read a while back.

Edmond Dantès;39789429 said:
Here's a very rough idea of what the noses will look like in 2014.

7fPXA.jpg
Looks good in my opinion!

Damn younglin...
HEY CAN YOU SEE A CAR HERE????
fia_formula_1_world_cuqya3.gif
I don't know how anyone could not see it.

How long did that logo run for? I remember seeing it as a kid.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Yeah I knew they'd sound different, but I do think they'll be (albeit slightly) smaller as well.

Platypus noses aren't likely to pop up next season, right? Or so I read a while back.

Looks good in my opinion!

I don't know how anyone could not see it.

How long did that logo run for? I remember seeing it as a kid.
Gone for next season.

Top Bottom