• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

Cilonen has a weird "thing" for Sky. I wouldn't pay much attention.

Frankly I've found much of their coverage appaling, with the main exception being the commentary... and even with that said, Crofty has not made the jump to TV particularly well.

Adamm

The tires have destroyed the hierarchy of F1 and made mediocre teams like Williams and Sauber equal to top teams like Red Bull and Mclaren. Every race is a random lottery because the tires are so inconsistent.

Pirelli has effectively turned F1 into GP2.

Ok, this needs to stop. Yes the tires are more inconsistent, yes. But each race being lottery?

Firstly, Red Bull have more than double the points of Sauber & Williams combined - so you can hardly call them equals. Secondly the leading driver is also widely considered the best driver on the grid in what seems to currently be the 2nd best car.

So im guessing when your talking about them being equals you are referring to Perez's 2 podium finishes & Maldanado's race win.
Saubers have looked fast all season & last season they got a few top 5 finishes (ignoring penalties), so you can hardly say this hasnt been coming.

and for Williams, well they seemed pretty quick at the start of the season & probably would have got a few podium finishes if they had better drivers. And with all the changes in staff they have made over the summer break its not surprising their car has improved since last season.

As for McLaren, who you now considered equals with Williams - its entirely they own fault - they cannot blame the tires for how far they have fallen since the first race of the season. But even still they are only 10 points behind 2nd place.

So, the reason it must be considered a lottery is the 7 winners from 7 races, well its very likely that the season will finish with no new winners. So really a whole season with 7 different winners isnt really that spectacular.

arena08

I don't get the complaints. This season of F1 has been the most exciting for a long, long time. Pirelli have done a fantastic job in my opinion.

Would you rather see another era of Schumacher-esq domination? I know I wouldn't.

Who cares about the hierarchy? If the same one or two teams are going to win the championship every year then what's the point? Just look at the SPL for how much fun that can be.

I love the fact that so called 'midfield' teams like Williams, Sauber and co. are keeping the bigger teams honest.

kharma45

Awesome, an opportunity to steer things back towards Sky then. MB and Crofty are just hands down better at commentating, more knowledgeable, free flowing, genuinely excited and draw you in to the racing with their enthusiasm. Sky's trackside people, presenters and analysis are better as is their level of coverage. I don't miss the BBC one bit, they can stick to wimbledon once a year and give up on the rest of sport after the olympics.

OH_YOU.jpg

Dilly

Banned
I don't get the complaints. This season of F1 has been the most exciting for a long, long time. Pirelli have done a fantastic job in my opinion.

Would you rather see another era of Schumacher-esq domination? I know I wouldn't.

I don't think it's because of the Pirelli tires that there isn't one team dominating.

Omiee

Formu Gaf, should we start planting our flags on drivers/teams? I know it helps in the NFL-Gaf thread, it actually kind of makes things fun.

I agree i said it last week and i think we really should do it, they do it in the nba thread as well.

also what is up with the pirelli hate they made this year pretty exciting in the standings and during the races.

Ark

The tires have destroyed the hierarchy of F1 and made mediocre teams like Williams and Sauber equal to top teams like Red Bull and Mclaren. Every race is a random lottery because the tires are so inconsistent.

It's a very sad day when Williams is considered a mediocre team.

Omiee

One of the best teams in Formula 1 hitting the bottom of rock bottom. Very sad.

Very sad, it would be like Ferrari stooping to caterham level of performance. Im very happy they managed to get their form back a little this year. They just need a better driver duo.

cilonen

Cilonen has a weird "thing" for Sky. I wouldn't pay much attention.

Frankly I've found much of their coverage appaling, with the main exception being the commentary... and even with that said, Crofty has not made the jump to TV particularly well.

It's because they're better. EJ and Coulthard were already pissing me off on the BBC before the Sky deal was even hinted at, and I loved Crofty & Davidson on Five Live.

Ark

Very sad, it would be like Ferrari stooping to caterham level of performance. Im very happy they managed to get their form back a little this year. They just need a better driver duo.

Well, Ferrari has already done their 20-year stint of lack of success, and it seems McLaren are following suit.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
They'll be on par with williams by the end of the season. No way RBR is going to give away that advantage. Not with massa at Ferrari.
But they've won driver titles during this period and have been consistently competitive and could have won more. Williams after their separation from BMW haven't been on that level.

Still, they should be doing a lot better considering their budget and Ron's lofty ambitions for the team and his mantra; second is the first of the losers.

Omiee

Edmond Dantès;39762143 said:
But they've won driver titles during this period and have been consistently competitive and could have won more. Williams after their separation from BMW haven't been on that level.

Still, they should be doing a lot better considering their budget and Ron's lofty ambitions for the team and his mantra; second is the first of the losers.

I thought they were 4th at the moment.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
In case anyone missed it:

How to Go Faster and Influence People: The Gordon Murray F1 Story
In the secretive world of F1 designers, Professor Gordon Murray is a legendary figure. Having spent 40 years designing one innovative car after another, his portfolio includes the most successful F1 car ever raced and what is widely considered to be the greatest sports car of all time. But today Professor Murray has set himself even more challenging goals as his focus turns from racetrack to public road.

In an ever more congested world, Murray believes that personal mobility has become a defining problem of our times. As a car lover, he is powerfully motivated to preserve the freedom of the open road - his solution is a new city car called T-25.
For T-25 Murray aims to transfer F1 technology to an inexpensive, lightweight city car for the masses. But is the industry at large prepared for the radical overhaul that Murray plans?

From Brabham and the eccentric 'Fan Car', through unbeatable designs for Senna and Prost and the milestone McLaren F1 sports car, and right up to date with the arrival of T25, How To Go Faster and Influence People is a compelling account of Gordon Murray's remarkable design journey.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod..._Influence_People_The_Gordon_Murray_F1_Story/

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I just watched this staying up until 12:35am. Truly an amazing person. My history on him was a bit thing before the F1. His ability to look at a problem and visualize a unique solution is truly remarkable.
I'd love to see a modern day F1 car designed by Gordon. I wonder what his take on the current regulations would be in comparison to Newey.

Would he go with the platypus nose? I wonder.

Dilly

Banned
So people really want to return to 2006 where being on the right tyre manufacturer was the major difference in the results?

Why does it have to be either Pirelli's of this year or dominance like in the Schumacher period?

There is a middle ground.

Dead Man

Why does it have to be either Pirelli's of this year or dominance like in the Schumacher period?

There is a middle ground.

There is. But a single manufacturer is the simplest way to ensure it is the teams and drivers, not third party suppliers that are the reason for results.

mclem

Something I really noticed during Silverstone, Gary Anderson is such a great addition to the BBC team.

I said something similar a few races ago - it took me a little while to warm to him (and, for that matter, I think he was a little nervous for the first few races), but my word, he's good.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I said something similar a few races ago - it took me a little while to warm to him (and, for that matter, I think he was a little nervous for the first few races), but my word, he's good.
Most important member of the BBC team apart from Coulthard in terms of insight.

Edmond Dantès;39782583 said:
Young drivers test starts today at Silverstone involving the might of Williams, HRT & Marussia

Ma-Qing-Hua-2_2794433.jpg

Just searched him, sounds like a very talented driver. Hope he does well. The picture is stupid otherwise.

Yeah, he really knows his stuff

Not really surprising, considering his background. I was really surprised, when I looked him up on Wikipedia.

He build several F3 cars in the 70s and 80s, was Brabham's and McLaren's chief mechanic, designed the first F1 car for Jordan and the first car for Stewart.

FallenCow

Neo Member
I usually just lurk in this thread, but I felt the need to chime in in support of the racing this year. It's been great to watch this year because the tires are inconsistent!

Now a couple more changes would make the racing better:
- Remove DRS
- Give KERS more power
- Large reduction in aerodynamic down force. This would give a greater emphasis on mechanical grip, allow drivers to show their skill more and hopefully allow closer gaps between cars eliminating the need for DRS. All that tricky aero stuff doesn't translate well into production cars anyway.

smiggyRT

I usually just lurk in this thread, but I felt the need to chime in in support of the racing this year. It's been great to watch this year because the tires are inconsistent!

Now a couple more changes would make the racing better:
- Remove DRS
- Give KERS more power
- Large reduction in aerodynamic down force. This would give a greater emphasis on mechanical grip, allow drivers to show their skill more and hopefully allow closer gaps between cars eliminating the need for DRS. All that tricky aero stuff doesn't translate well into production cars anyway.

It's being doubled to 120kW for 2014.

Top Bottom