• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

kharma45

After Button's performance at the weekend there, tempted to swap MSC for him in my F1RM team.

Shall wait to see how FP1 and FP2 pan out first.

Are you sure HRT will race in 2013?

Now that's an entirely different question, isn't it?

HRT is probably one of the worst F1 teams we've had this decade. No off-season testing, didn't participate in the opening GP two times in a row (because they missed the 107% mark in 2011 and 2012) and 39 starts without scoring a single point is quite the record.

With the current financial situation in Spain, it's hard to imagine that they'd find other Spanish investors, so they probably have to rely on pay drivers yet again and with that, they'll never be able to make the jump out of that hole. Maybe they'll find a rich, bored Arab or Chinese, who's willing to invest in the team.

They also need a new engine supplier. The last time a Cosworth-powered F1 car had any success, was when Fisichella won the 2003 Interlagos GP with Jordan. Before that, it was Herbet's win in 1999 for Stewart GP and Schumacher's WC in 1994. Not exactly reassuring. Williams made a huge jump this year, after switching from Cosworth to Renault. Sure, they pretty much completely revamped the team, but I doubt they would have the current pace with the same Cosworth engine, HRT and Marussia are using. If HRT can survive until 2014, maybe they'll have more luck with the new regulations. I doubt PURE will price their engines higher than Cosworth, being a newcomer and all.

dubc35

Wow, finally got around to watching the race. It was pretty boring for the middle 50 laps or so. The end was exciting, glad to see Vettel was penalized for passing off the track. He had been running off the track consistently towards the end. I'm also biased so that helps too! :p

Didn't Horner complain about Hamilton in the post-race interview, when he was asked about Vettel's then potential penalty?
But while Horner accepted that Hamilton's actions cost Red Bull a shot at victory, as it prevented Vettel from being close enough to potentially take the lead during the pitstops, he stopped short of criticising the 2008 world champion.

"If you look at the rules, I don't think that there is anything to say that a car can't unlap itself," said Horner. "It's frustrating that it cost us a second and it's unfortunate that he didn't unlap himself from Fernando as well.

"If it had cost Fernando a second as well, then it would have negated the disadvantage of being unlapped. But he was entitled to do it.

"We probably dropped about a second when Lewis unlapped himself, which was frustrating. But when you are fighting for hundredths and tenths of a second, that's the way it goes sometimes."

At least the golden boy didn't do anything wrong.
Horner also defended Vettel for his criticism of Hamilton, after the reigning world champion branded the McLaren driver as "stupid" in the post-race press conference.

"Obviously, drivers' emotions run high," said Horner. "It was an unusual situation because usually when you lap a car, it doesn't come back past you. But Lewis was on fresh tyres.

"In Seb's opinion, it affected his race and it did affect his race. But it's within the rules and he [Hamilton] did nothing wrong and arguably helped his team-mate."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101457

Hammer24

Banned
3,h=343.bild.jpg

Kimi a little too quick to leave Hockenheim... (link in german)

NHale

I really do think Ferrari are making excuses for Massa at this point.

Alonso is a great driver, but it definitely helps his rep in saying it's not one of the fastest cars.

I don't think there is any doubt that Ferrari was not as fast as the Red Bull and McLaren at Hockenheim. Button recovered 10secs+ in 20 laps and Vettel was always behind Alonso for 2/3rds of the race not being able to overtake only because Red Bull suffers when they are behind another car.

I read that statement not as a "we are slow as fuck and Alonso is a magician" but as a caution sign to his team so they do not think they are the best just because they won the race. They aren't 1.5 secs off the pace like in March but they are not the best car yet.

acm2000

Last year the BBC had an average of 4.3m with a peak of 5.7m for the German Grand Prix.

BBC German GP 2011 average = 4.3m
Sky German GP 2012 average = 0.9m (-3.4m)

BBC German GP 2011 average = 4.3m
BBC & Sky German GP 2012 average = 2.8m (-1.4m) (-33%)

lol, and thats with all of sky sports being free ALL weekend

More internal development at Williams, as Christian Wolff becomes Frank Williams' assistant.

Toto Wolff increases Williams role

Speaking about his new position, Wolff said: "It's a great honour for me to be assisting and supporting Sir Frank in his role as team principal at Williams.

"I have been a shareholder in the business since 2009 and I am really looking forward to being able to take my responsibilities to a new level. I know that together we will work tirelessly to make the group and team as successful as it can be."

Williams himself stepped down from the board earlier this year, and says that Wolff's increased responsibility will be a bonus in helping secure the team's future.

"Toto's new role, working closely alongside myself, is about Williams looking forward and managing the successful running of the company," he said. "I am looking forward to our new working relationship and I have every belief that this partnership will help take Williams F1 from strength to strength."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101472

It's rumored that he'll take Frank's role as team principal, once Frank retires.

And qualifying stats so far:

Red Bull
Vettel 5 - 5 Webber

McLaren
Button 1 - 9 Hamilton

Ferrari
Alonso 10 – 0 Massa

Mercedes
Schumacher 5 – 5 Rosberg

Lotus
Räikkönen 4 – 6 Grosjean

Force India
Di Resta 5 – 5 Hülkenberg

Sauber
Kobayashi 6 – 4 Pérez

Toro Rosso
Ricciardo 9 – 1 Vergne

Williams
Maldonado 8 – 2 Senna

Caterham
Kovalainen 8 – 2 Petrov

HRT
De la Rosa 10 – 0 Karthikeyan

Marussia
Glock 6 – 3 Pic *

* Charles Pic did not out-qualify Timo Glock for the European Grand Prix in Valencia, as the German fell ill before qualifying and was unable to take part

Note: Head-to-head results relate to pure qualifying performances, before any grid penalties are applied
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/281836/stats-of-2012-qualifying-head-to-head/

He's talking about going so slowly that they'd meet at the DRS zone every other lap (rather than spending all that time behind your team-mate).

I'll take a look at the sporting regs later but I think there will be something which they can be pulled for. They would have to drive incredibly slowly to let the other car catch them in the DRS zone consistently which would mean they were obstructing other cars which would land them in bother.

It's all academic anyway, because no driver in a top team would agree to do that in a race.

Adamm

How come sponsors aren't making a bigger deal of this? That's a lot of exposure they're missing out on.

I wonder will we start seeing a pattern of more sponsors on BBC races than on Sky races.

Although we should all remember, the UK is only a tiny percent of the viewing audience compared to the rest of the world

DrM

Redmond's Baby
They way Ferrari have treated Massa's shitty performances compared to Kimi's poor performances while at Ferrari makes my blood boil.

Kimi was out the door for less.

The last thing that Ferrari want is driver, capable to match Alonso. Massa is perfect - this car is not made for him, so his is not dangerous for Alonso, but he can create some nice train behind (if he survive first several laps without crashing into somebody).

They will never pursue 'equal' car for both drivers (like some teams are 'trying' to do) , there is only clear #1 and one slave driver ala Rubens or Felipe or some test driver like Luca 'The Lightning' Badoer.

Dilly

Banned
Massa isn't perfect, since he's not helping Alonso at all because he's always behind Alonso and his main rivals for the titel and he doesn't score enough points to help Ferrari any way in the WCC.

moojito

Struggled to find the thread, had to google to get it. Forgot what I wanted to say o-o

/subscribes

Probably the first of many such cases, though I expect not everyone will bother to google it. Welcome, thread, to the gaf black hole!

The last thing that Ferrari want is driver, capable to match Alonso. Massa is perfect - this car is not made for him, so his is not dangerous for Alonso, but he can create some nice train behind (if he survive first several laps without crashing into somebody).

They will never pursue 'equal' car for both drivers (like some teams are 'trying' to do) , there is only clear #1 and one slave driver ala Rubens or Felipe or some test driver like Luca 'The Lightning' Badoer.

Massa is far from perfect. He's terrible for Ferrari and Alonso so far in the championship.

If he was scoring decent points and finishing above Alonso's rivals then he would be a very good fit, but he never is. Alonso could have had a bigger points difference if Massa was at least finishing in the top 6 consistently, and Ferrari would have a great chance to win the WCC. Currently with only 1 driver scoring almost all their points, they have no chance in winning the WCC.

Massa isn't perfect, since he's not helping Alonso at all because he's always behind Alonso and his main rivals for the titel and he doesn't score enough points to help Ferrari any way in the WCC.

Exactly. A good #2 driver would be, well, #2. The last time both, Alonso and Massa, we're as P1 and P2 on the podium, was 37 GPs ago, at the German GP in 2010. Like I said on Sunday, the overlapped Hamilton was a bigger help to Alonso than Massa was the entire season so far.

Another sad fact: It's been 75 GPs since both Ferrari drivers locked out the front row (French GP 2008).

kharma45

Exactly. A good #2 driver would be, well, #2. The last time both, Alonso and Massa, we're as P1 and P2 on the podium, was 37 GPs ago, at the German GP in 2010. Like I said on Sunday, the overlapped Hamilton was a bigger help to Alonso than Massa was the entire season so far.

Another sad fact: It's been 75 GPs since both Ferrari drivers locked out the front row (French GP 2008).

They're missing a Steady Eddie.

Draconian

Just finished watching. Great race for Sauber. Hopefully Perez and Kobayashi can stay this consistently for the remainder of the season. Tough luck for Vettel at the end, but then again, he was consistently going off track for the last 20 laps or so it seemed. Looking forward to Hungary and to see if Alonso will extend his lead.

Edmond Dantès;40213125 said:
So what's this about the RB8 been declared illegal?

They're forced to change the engine maps.

AUTOSPORT understands that the FIA is planning to issue an official clarification on the matter before action gets underway in Budapest on Friday.

This document is almost certain to make it clear that what Red Bull Racing was doing in Germany will no longer be deemed acceptable.

Sources suggest that the FIA will lay down specific limits on the variations of torque that can be used throughout the rev range - with Red Bull Racing believed to have been using much less than the maximum available torque in the middle rev range.

It is understood that the new limit could allow as little tolerance in torque as two per cent, which is believed to be well inside the variation shown on the engine map used by Red Bull Racing at the German GP.

By having a greater variation in its engine mapping, Red Bull Racing was able to both minimise wheelspin and also pump more gases through its engines, therefore helping the aerodynamic benefits that the outfit still gets through the use of exhaust flow at the rear of the car.

Although Formula 1 technical delegate Jo Bauer believed that Red Bull Racing's engine maps were in breach of the regulations in Germany, the race stewards did not agree - even though they also did not accept the team's explanations of what was happening.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101476

Top Bottom