• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT2| WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SEASON?!

neoanarch

Finally a great result for both Saubers. It always either one or the other. I really hope they found a balance. Would love to see them moving up int he team standings.

MrPonx

Kimi was on the podium when Maldonado won (Catalunya)

I meant his first ever in a German GP in his whole career.

Kimi had the worst luck in the German GP's retiring from 1st position, last lap while leading, poles converted into mechanical failures..etc

His best finish was 4th in 2006

Yup, they gave a 20 second penalty as expected. Nothing controversial or surprising about it. Anyone familiar with the rules knew exactly what was going to happen! Dumb move on Vettel's part because it actually cost him valuable points. :p

I'm surprised Red Bull didn't warn Vettel and ask him to give the place back.

Zinga

Banned
Yup, they gave a 20 second penalty as expected. Nothing controversial or surprising about it. Anyone familiar with the rules knew exactly what was going to happen! Dumb move on Vettel's part because it actually cost him valuable points. :p

Both Red Bull and Vettel are arrogant imo, they have gotten away with so much imo in the past few years that they are just feeling cocky about it :) really wish Web-God went to Ferrari!

Konosuke

I liked this race. It's the 2nd I've watched this season. Loved seeing Hamilton overtaking Vettel, that must have pissed him off so much.

Joni

He was they showed some on board right after the overtake and Vettel was livid. His own fault for being slower.

It was funny too, just before McLaren asked Hamilton to make sure as to get out of the way of Button, so he was just following team orders.

Shaneus

Both Red Bull and Vettel are arrogant imo, they have gotten away with so much imo in the past few years that they are just feeling cocky about it :) really wish Web-God went to Ferrari!
Nah, you don't. For once, the team is on his side (moreso than ever, it seems), he has a car he likes (no fucking blown diffuser bullshit) and is up there in the points. I was stoked to hear that he was sticking with RBR because this year he's really shown that it's only under certain circumstances that he's a #2 driver. I think we're back to 2010 again, although hopefully with a slightly different result (provided Vettel doesn't take him out in one of the weekends again).

acm2000

10/10 times? Good one. If it was made for overtaking it would be made of asphalt.

that advertising writing is grippier than asphalt (except in wet, where its like ice), the hot rubber of the tyres sticks to it like velcro, hence vettels crazy pull away from button at that point.

what they need to do is put that brightly colour stuff down around these sort of corners, that destroys your tyres

NHale

I was told that Felipe is back to his old performance. And after he slipped in Monaco and the race after that, he certainly is.

Oh c'mon. Don't you remember Massa's 4th place at Silverstone? That surely was the driving performance of the year.

You talk like his teammate has 154pts and leading the WDC while Massa only has 23. You guys are so unfair to Felipe.

So guys. Do we have the Beeb this weekend? Because I'd hate to go into our break (ARRGGHHHH) with that bad taste of Sky in my mouth.

Sorry.
LIVE RACES ON THE BBC

15 April: China
13 May: Spain
27 May: Monaco
24 June: Europe
8 July: Britain
2 September: Belgium
23 September: Singapore
14 October: Korea
4 November: Abu Dhabi
25 November: Brazil

They're not even broadcasting the first Austin GP or Monza.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I meant his first ever in a German GP in his whole career.

Kimi had the worst luck in the German GP's retiring from 1st position, last lap while leading, poles converted into mechanical failures..etc

His best finish was 4th in 2006

He was 3rd in the German GP in 2006.

Zeppu

I don't even know what they did mention.

Playing it safe since I may have missed a few minutes here and there since my mind wandered while trying to pay attention to some of their boring chit chat. I don't recall anything at all, personally.

G Rom

Monza and Austin are 2 races Sky would definitely want to have exclusively.

It's a shame, since the Sky coverage is pretty shit in my opinion.

I'd take the "shitty" Sky coverage over the abysmal one we have in France any day, trust me.

I mean, in France, they've stopped showing qualifying on TF1, you have to get Eurosport to see them again (they had already stopped showing them on free TV for two or three years, something like five years ago). FP are also exclusively shown on Eurosport.

Now, I don't mind the FP because it's not always interesting and most of the time I wouldn't be able to watch them anyway but not showing qualifying is a joke.

Also, you have no idea how bad the race coverage is here. First, they have like the worst commercial breaks ever (I still remember missing Schumacher's engine breaking down at Suzuka in 2006 because of that). Pre-race build-up is only done on European GPs and there's never any post-race coverage (show ends right after the podium, seems like Walker Texas Ranger reruns are more important than F1). I mean, yesterday I loved seeing the guy walking down the pitlane while the whole Formula 1 circus was packing up.

Don't even get me started on the commentator team we have...

Now I didn't watch the Sky build-up so I can't compare that but both race and post-race coverage are miles ahead of what France get. No wonder we don't have a GP anymore honestly... :(

Anyway, pretty good GP. I've never been a fan of Alonso but he's probably the best driver on the grid at the moment.
I'd love to see Schumacher and Kimi in better cars and hopefully Grosjean will stop making small mistakes and having bad luck.

BTW, FOM should just call Turn 10 to get their icy tarmac formula. That would prevent drivers going outside the corners too much. I'm sure many Forza players were thinking about that yesterday when some drivers were going onto the drag strip in the final corners. :D

I didn't know that HRT would go all Spanish in 2013.

Clos to practice again in Hungary

Dani Clos will return to the HRT cockpit in Budapest, with the reserve driver having another practice session after Hockenheim’s opening phase was affected by rain. The outing will be his fourth of the season, replacing Narain Karthikeyan once again.

“I’m really excited about having another opportunity to drive the car in the first free practice session in Hungary,” says the Barcelona driver.

“It will be the third consecutive Grand Prix and the fourth time this season that I get into the F112 and I hope to transform that continuity into a good rhythm and a positive result on the track with which to make my contribution to the team.

“To not compete is something new for me, so I have to enjoy and make the most of these opportunities presented to me to continue learning.”

Clos is expected to step up to an HRT race seat in 2013 which would mark, should he race alongside Pedro de la Rosa, an all-Spanish line-up for the Madrid-based squad.
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/281833/clos-to-practice-again-in-hungary/

mclem

So here's something that crossed my mind after yesterday's GP.

Imagine a situation where the constructor's championship is sealed up, but the drivers' championship is still volatile, with one member of a team not a contender, the other fighting for the win.

Is there anything in the rules stopping the non-competitive team-mate deliberately going backwards - I don't mean turning around, just putting in slow laps - to explicitly give his team-mate a DRS boost as frequently as possible?

As long as it wasn't dangerous... probably. Would be hell to try and organise though. They'd be better off pushing their luck on the blue flags with the leader (though staying within the letter of the law).

Hammer24

Banned

Imagine a situation where the constructor's championship is sealed up, but the drivers' championship is still volatile, with one member of a team not a contender, the other fighting for the win.

Is there anything in the rules stopping the non-competitive team-mate deliberately going backwards - I don't mean turning around, just putting in slow laps - to explicitly give his team-mate a DRS boost as frequently as possible?

Merc tried something similar in qualifying couple years ago (pre DRS). They wanted to give the cars some slipstream on long straights, but abandoned it quickly as they found it extremely difficult to pull off. The speed delta is just too big, as to perfectly synchronize it in a single lap - let alone for several consecutive laps.

Ark

Wouldn't work. You'd have to be so close that you'd be in the dirty air the entire time and your tyres would just fall off.

A la Button on Alonso yesterday.

Wouldn't work. You'd have to be so close that you'd be in the dirty air the entire time and your tyres would just fall off.

A la Button on Alonso yesterday.
He's talking about going so slowly that they'd meet at the DRS zone every other lap (rather than spending all that time behind your team-mate).

Top Bottom