• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013-2014 Off-Season |OT| Powered by 1.6L V6 Turbo

That's not a good sign. If Loldonado wasn't bringing in the monies I'd be worried for them to miss the season (assuming he is bringing in the monies).

I remember reading that his sponsorship money was specifically not to be used to pay off outstanding debts, so if that's the case (who really knows), it's not really any help for the teams' chances of short term survival.

dubc35

Interesting article I found via twitter regarding this months testing from last November.

Formula 1 teams are on the limit to get their new cars ready for the first 2014 pre-season test in Jerez, reckon leading paddock figures.

McLaren sporting director Sam Michael and Renault ambassador Alain Prost think that there is a growing acceptance now of how tight things are for everyone, despite there still being almost three months to go before the cars hit the track.

"Absolutely, it will be on the limit," said Michael, when asked how much of a challenge it is going to be for teams to get ready for the Jerez test that starts on January 28.

"These days we have simulations, stress analysis and dynos that are much more sophisticated than when we had the last big rule changes, but you are still upsetting your systems that are quite methodical and procedural.

"Teams now have operational procedures to make sure they don't make mistakes, and almost all of those will go in the bin [for 2014] and we will have to start again.

"That is why you will see variations next year. All teams at all ends of the grid will have problems getting to grips with the new systems."

Prost, who has followed Renault's developments closely, thinks reality is now biting for everyone now the 2013 season is coming to an end.

"I think everybody is a little bit more aware now," he said. "Last year at this stage of the year people were concentrated on the season - and not many people knew what was going on with the engine because they were focused on the racing.

"Then, when they realised, it's a wake-up. When you start to work on it, you can see the complexity of the situation on the engine on one side, and then the chassis/engine combination on the other.

"So it is absolutely normal that at this stage of the year people start to be concerned. Even the three engine manufacturers, if they are realistic and even if they have a lot of experience, they cannot be optimistic.

"But slowly it will go on as normal and there will not be a problem."

MISSING JEREZ NOT AN OPTION

Although in recent years some teams have skipped the first test to give them more time for extra windtunnel development, Michael thinks it unlikely anyone will do that on purpose next year.

"I'm not sure what advantage you would get from missing it [the first test]," said Michael.

"If you push back a test, you normally do it for more wind tunnel testing - you don't do it for reliability.

"So looking at the chassis, you will not get an advantage of working on it longer.

"Of course you could do three weeks more work on front wings and diffusers, but you will bring an update package for the first race anyway so there is no advantage.

"I personally think you don't want to miss those tests. You want to be out there all the time."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111182/

Jibbed

It's quite clear that Lotus is missing the Jerez test for more than just additional tweaks to the aero design and whatnot. This is a team in lots of trouble with it's chances of making the grid in Australia fading fast.

And to think I was pissed about Kimi going back to Ferrari... man, dodged a bullet there.

Edit: Some more news on the sinking ship, CEO Patrick Louis steps down.

Zeknurn

And to think I was pissed about Kimi going back to Ferrari... man, dodged a bullet there.

I went through the same feelings. In retrospective, it probably was very obvious to Kimi that Lotus wouldn't make it.

As for Maldonado, I bet he regrets burning bridges with Williams now.

Lotus have got no engine and suppliers are refusing to provide materials for the car because they haven't been paid:

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/33595/f1-lotus-alcuni-fornitori-non-consegnano-i-pezzi

that site also says the new car will be one to keep an eye on because of its aerodynamics.

From the same site, McLaren working on innovative rear suspension:

McLaren: the "blind" to the rear suspension?
Upper arm and the convergence would serve to create an innovative solution

In 2014 the car is not only the revolution dictated by the power-unit which requires the return of the turbo engine, this time equipped with hybrid systems useful to improve the performance and reduce the power consumption drastically. The new regulation also leads to a drastic loss of aerodynamic load: the teams are looking of imaginative solutions to compensate, at least in part, the lack of vertical thrust. With the limit of 100 kg / h of fuel makes no sense to try load only with the ailerons because the increase in the incidence of profiles you pay a high price in increased resistance.

REAR SUSPENSION INNOVATIVE In this regard, McLaren is working on a solution that might be interesting in the rear: the FIA, in fact, has banned the use of the lower back which acted as a support to the bulkheads, but acquitted an important aerodynamic function. Matt Morris, project leader of the MP4/29, it would be seen by proposing a technical Woking found it interesting that the technical director Tim Goss has approved only if it is realized in parallel also a more traditional solution.

CREATE A ROLLER WITH ARMS What would that be? To hear the rumors well informed, Woking WOULD developing a rear suspension in which the tie rod convergence would cascade from the upper arm, to create a sort of "shutter" (maybe even with the axle shaft fairing) to simulate at least in part the rear wing lower. In the design of Giorgio Piola you can clearly see that the McLaren MP4-28 had already started to careen the area of the arms close to the hub carrier. It is evident that the British engineers directed by Tim Goss are parties to this solution to develop an interesting concept that could be taken up by other teams. The concept, however, is not entirely new because in 2007 on the MP4-22 had already seen a fairing arm of convergence on the car designed by Mike Coughlan.

MP4-29 AND THE 'VERY LATE bet McLaren could give advantages in terms of aerodynamics, but seems to have marked effects on the stiffness of the suspension. It is a bold move that will see the presentation of the car, but it may already be replaced by a more traditional solution in the first test in Jerez, where there will be an absolute requirement to travel for miles. The assembly of the first car seems to be in serious delay compared to the plans, so that even the date of the presentation of the car could undergo substantial changes, so that someone does not mean that you can see directly in Andalusia ...

In Tim Goss we trust :bow

Rod Nelson, Senior Performance Engineer has left Lotus to join Williams

cmr-94

Vast majority of teams will simply unveil their car in the Jerez, or they will upload pictures of car 2-3 days prior first test.

Yep, looks like this will be the case for most teams

MERCEDES AMG F1 ‏@MercedesAMGF1 9h
@Ra8Tv5_official The car will be rolled out on 28 Jan in Jerez, first day of the test!

Mastah

BdYnla3CQAEUoz9.jpg:large

ramparter

Banned
I read in a greek article that maybe Sony will be McLaren's new major sponsor and their car colors could be orange. I'd really like it if it turned out to be true.

edit: after a quick research seems like this roumor isn't new, has been already suggested a few months ago.

itsgreen

I read in a greek article that maybe Sony will be McLaren's new major sponsor and their car colors could be orange. I'd really like it if it turned out to be true.

edit: after a quick research seems like this roumor isn't new, has been already suggested a few months ago.

Well I hope to see the orange livery in testing. Love it when McLaren does that

mp421high.jpg

NHale

That rumor was put forward by Joe Saward that believes it will be orange because Sony Computer Entertainment logo is orange and they launched a new console recently...

He forgot to check that the PS4 "official" color is blue not orange. And Sony isn't paying millions to publicize their Sony Computer Entertainment brand.

Mastah

Caterham F1 Team ‏@CaterhamF!

We'll be at all three tests, in Spain (T01) & Bahrain (T02 / T03) & we'll unveil the 2014 car on the morning of T01 day one, 28 Jan.

We might see some old faces in Formula E.

Organisers of Formula E, the new electric racing series sanctioned by governing body the FIA, have revealed a list of eight potential drivers ahead of the inaugural season which begins later this year.

Ex-F1 drivers Sébastien Buemi, Karun Chandhok, Lucas di Grassi, Vitantonio Liuzzi and Takuma Sato have been included, along with IndyCar race winner Marco Andretti, DTM's Adrien Tambay and former F1 tester Ma Qing Hua.

Although teams are not tied to signing these drivers, they have all committed to the series and will be given the chance to test the Spark-Renault car that has been designed for the championship.

In the coming weeks another ten drivers will be announced, bringing the driver pool total to 18.
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/305115/ex-formula-1-drivers-eye-formula-e-seats/

Apparently Ricciardo has confirmed he will be #3, stolen from under the nose of Loldonado. Better watch out Dan, the lotus finger will be on a rampage!

Clegg

Eddie Irvine sentenced to 6 months in jail for his part in a brawl. I know he's not a driver anymore but I thought this story would be of interest for this thread.

Top Bottom